Holy Motors - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Holy Motors Reviews

½ July 12, 2016
weird, weird, weird. I loved it!
July 10, 2016
Weird movie that is about movies. Slightly weirder than expected.
June 30, 2016
3.6/5

What else can I do if not to very honestly admit that my understanding of Holy Motors is likely closely related to the understanding a dog has of our televised content, as the basic connections between scenes and the "actor" thematic make it clear that an idea exists that quickly sprouts into what I can only assume are metaphors, and god knows what plot-unrelated talking cars and leprechauns have to convey.
½ February 26, 2016
Awful film. No doubt some sort of arty message hidden somewhere but I just did not get it. Critics make me laugh...how this has a 91% fresh score I'll never know, it's rotten as hell!!!
January 29, 2016
Holy shit....wtf happened
January 18, 2016
A movie like a dream. Lavant is awesome is this film - one minute he's a beggar the next he is a hit man. Mesmerizing.
January 4, 2016
An exercise in overindulgence.
½ December 14, 2015
Weird yet engaging. This is the type of movie I would only recommend to someone looking for an experience outside of the confines of typical storytelling. It makes you ask questions without providing a definitive answer to what's happening and maybe that's where I throughly enjoyed this. A reminder that something truly can still be unique.
December 8, 2015
Original, experimental, and bizarre, Holy Motors is an actor's journey through life, film, and somewhere in-between. Your senses are in for a rude awakening.
½ November 30, 2015
Beautiful film, with an arresting performance by Denis Lavant .
½ October 23, 2015
Though possessing the promise of deeply endowed themes and plot it ultimately is unable to express the message it was trying to tell us. It's unfortunate since the film is stylistically fascinating and the characters are fairly engaging. Despite how avant-garde and post-modernist the direction is, it is nothing but an idiosyncratic bunny trail that leads into an empty pit......
October 18, 2015
Its not hard to figure out what happening in this film, just hard to figure out what its all about. I really like this style of surrealism as opposed to films that seem weird and confusing just to be weird and confusing. It also earns bonus points in the "pushing the art form of cinema" category. Its beautiful, engaging and unique. Not for the casual movie watcher, a film lovers film.
½ October 8, 2015
An incredibly absorbing and thought-provoking film that takes us in a mind-boggling journey with a character that drifts from one role to the next in many puzzling rendezvous and identities - a narrative experiment that proves to be fascinating and surprisingly moving.
September 20, 2015
A crazy film... about acting, I believe. It's whimsical, moving, and thought-provoking. The segment about Mocap actors is visually stunning, the bit about killing Theo is uncanny, and the part about old man and his niece--my favorite segment--seems to be the most exquisite ode to acting, but it also left me thinking about human experience and reality in general. (The scene reminds me of Antonioni's tennis scene in Blow Up.)
September 20, 2015
A very strange movie, allegoric at times, is en equall challenging treat for the eyes and the intellect.
August 26, 2015
Visually impressive, it's best to enjoy this film through them, rather than search for a plot. There is a semblance of one, but as a film it's a surrealists dream, conventional movie-goers might not enjoy this one as much.
½ July 22, 2015
An intriguing story which draws you in slowly. Not sure how much symbolism or meaning I could assign to various sequences but I was definitely waiting for the next one. Boring it's not but entertaining it isn't. A good watch overall though. Great acting here and good direction.
July 9, 2015
I love surrealism, and while it may be an abstract genre it is still the most honest and beautiful film genre ever for a number of reasons.

One, the goal is communicate the themes of the story not simply to entertain. This is something we see a lot in the films of artists like Luis Bu├┬▒uel and David Lynch, but never in the mainstream movies that sell like hotcakes. This movie's goal is to communicate messages about society's ideas about beauty, work, family, and how complex people can be.

Two, the authenticity of the actors. I don't make surrealist films for this reason: I can never think of any actors that could do it right. The actors in surrealist cinema have to be able to come into multilayered characters without being afraid of the darkness and the strangeness that lies within themselves. This is something that Leos Carax does magnificently with his casting of the incredibly brilliant Denis Lavant. Who delivered the greatest performance of the last decade.

Three, the visuals. Surrealism relies heavily on the visual storytelling. This film, because it's in French, didn't really have a screenplay that latched onto me that well, but that's okay because the story is told mostly through the visuals.

And four, the directing. There's no filmmaker more complex, both spiritually and technically, than a surrealist filmmaker. Leos Carax is a filmmaker who believes in cinema in the purest way. He uses cinema as an art to teach about the complexity of humanity, and about the depth of the mind. Whereas most filmmakers, and I'm not saying this is a bad thing because I do this, but most filmmakers use it as a medium to tell a good story. Carax is a complex man with complex ideas, and tons of talent.

Overall, this is an incredibly underrated work of art, and possibly one of the most deep and probing films I've ever seen! Its unquestionable, this movie is a masterpiece!
July 6, 2015
Give me Wings of Desire any day! I have vague memories of not liking Les Amants du Pont Neuf either, but I can't remember why.