Holy Motors - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Holy Motors Reviews

November 1, 2016
I generally anticipate that any surrealist film has a lot to say, and, in this case, I won't pretend that I was able to catch it all, but one thing is certain: this is a movie about the odd narcissism and insanity of films and filmmaking.
October 15, 2016
Holy Motors is a thoroughly enjoyable, absorbing piece of work that's fascinating, confusing, thought provoking and, at times, moving.
I heard the word 'unconventional' used to describe it, and words like that attract me to movies. I'm so glad I watched it, because, in a world where films that are pretty long on action and short on art seem to be what it's all about now, I was starting to fall out of love with cinema a little. Holy Motors restored and renewed my affection for it. It's kind of weird, but kind of wonderful too.
½ July 12, 2016
weird, weird, weird. I loved it!
July 10, 2016
Weird movie that is about movies. Slightly weirder than expected.
June 30, 2016
3.6/5

What else can I do if not to very honestly admit that my understanding of Holy Motors is likely closely related to the understanding a dog has of our televised content, as the basic connections between scenes and the "actor" thematic make it clear that an idea exists that quickly sprouts into what I can only assume are metaphors, and god knows what plot-unrelated talking cars and leprechauns have to convey.
½ February 26, 2016
Awful film. No doubt some sort of arty message hidden somewhere but I just did not get it. Critics make me laugh...how this has a 91% fresh score I'll never know, it's rotten as hell!!!
January 29, 2016
Holy shit....wtf happened
January 18, 2016
A movie like a dream. Lavant is awesome is this film - one minute he's a beggar the next he is a hit man. Mesmerizing.
January 4, 2016
An exercise in overindulgence.
½ December 14, 2015
Weird yet engaging. This is the type of movie I would only recommend to someone looking for an experience outside of the confines of typical storytelling. It makes you ask questions without providing a definitive answer to what's happening and maybe that's where I throughly enjoyed this. A reminder that something truly can still be unique.
December 8, 2015
Original, experimental, and bizarre, Holy Motors is an actor's journey through life, film, and somewhere in-between. Your senses are in for a rude awakening.
½ November 30, 2015
Beautiful film, with an arresting performance by Denis Lavant .
½ October 23, 2015
Though possessing the promise of deeply endowed themes and plot it ultimately is unable to express the message it was trying to tell us. It's unfortunate since the film is stylistically fascinating and the characters are fairly engaging. Despite how avant-garde and post-modernist the direction is, it is nothing but an idiosyncratic bunny trail that leads into an empty pit......
October 18, 2015
Its not hard to figure out what happening in this film, just hard to figure out what its all about. I really like this style of surrealism as opposed to films that seem weird and confusing just to be weird and confusing. It also earns bonus points in the "pushing the art form of cinema" category. Its beautiful, engaging and unique. Not for the casual movie watcher, a film lovers film.
½ October 8, 2015
An incredibly absorbing and thought-provoking film that takes us in a mind-boggling journey with a character that drifts from one role to the next in many puzzling rendezvous and identities - a narrative experiment that proves to be fascinating and surprisingly moving.
September 20, 2015
A crazy film... about acting, I believe. It's whimsical, moving, and thought-provoking. The segment about Mocap actors is visually stunning, the bit about killing Theo is uncanny, and the part about old man and his niece--my favorite segment--seems to be the most exquisite ode to acting, but it also left me thinking about human experience and reality in general. (The scene reminds me of Antonioni's tennis scene in Blow Up.)
September 20, 2015
A very strange movie, allegoric at times, is en equall challenging treat for the eyes and the intellect.
August 26, 2015
Visually impressive, it's best to enjoy this film through them, rather than search for a plot. There is a semblance of one, but as a film it's a surrealists dream, conventional movie-goers might not enjoy this one as much.
½ July 22, 2015
An intriguing story which draws you in slowly. Not sure how much symbolism or meaning I could assign to various sequences but I was definitely waiting for the next one. Boring it's not but entertaining it isn't. A good watch overall though. Great acting here and good direction.