Holy Motors - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Holy Motors Reviews

½ June 17, 2017
6.5/10 A very strange movie, allegoric at times, is en equall challenging treat for the eyes and the intellect.
May 19, 2017
I was skeptical, but it's a surprisingly well made and performed art film on (when you get right down to it) how strange the life of an actor is, especially if they're the type that's constantly working. There may be more to it than that, but that's what I took from the film. Only thing keeping it from a higher rating is its excessive weirdness. Of course, that's also part of its charm.
½ April 25, 2017
Here's a film I admire more than I enjoy ... or at least consistently enjoy. Denis Lavant stars as Monsieur Oscar ... a man who drives around Paris in a limousine fulfilling a series of assignments. In each one, he adopts a new identity and plays out a scene. That is all there is folks. Lavant is an amazing chameleon in this film and I deeply admire his performance. My enjoyment of the film was directly proportional to how much I enjoyed the current vignette. Some I loved (the father driving his daughter home from a party), many I didn't care about at all. Since there's really nothing else to this ...
February 5, 2017
One of the great cinematic magic tricks that I've had the pleasure of seeing. What is real? What is fabrication? The truth is that I don't really think we're too discern which is which. We, as the audience, are simply left to surmise what we will from the powerful cinema at hand. It's a film about cinema; about the deeply sad information and deeply hopeful misinformation in cinema. For such a breathlessly ravishing and awe-inspiring piece of surrealism, it really is a quite sad movie. But perhaps that's the point, that, for all the magic and possibility in the movies, it's made by people, and we're all, on a fundamental level, yearning for a real reason and purpose that can't be found outside of, in my opinion, the objective Truth that exists right in front of us in this harrowing story called life.
½ January 31, 2017
Enigmatic and challenging and at the same time endlessly beautiful and poignant, thought-provoking and wistful.
January 18, 2017
An existencial film about life itself and how we don't seem to find our place? A performance art piece of many unconnected stories ? A pretentious surreal meditation? All of those views are equally right and wrong, Carax doesn't want you to be sure about what it all meant (if it actually meant anything), he just wants you to stand in awe , and in awe we stand.
December 28, 2016
Leos Carax comes back after a 13 year hiatus to present us with a beautifully weird, absurdist film, which is both 'a tribute to cinema' as well as 'an ode to film (celluloid)'. It doesn't have a linear story or much of a plot, and doesn't make much sense in its entirety. But there's something oddly delightful about it, and keeps you intrigued till the very end. It is unlike anything one has seen before. There are various film references in the movie which would keep cinephiles amazed.

Shakespeare says, "All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players; they have their exits and their entrances, and one man in his time plays many parts." This movie is like a literal adaptation of that text; it follows an actor named Mr. Oscar, who dons one role after the other, in actual settings, in front of seemingly invisible cameras. It compares an actor's roles to real-life roles, and the themes tackled are similar too - love, sex, despair, death, etc. And in his journey, we also come across various genres of films.

What does it mean to be an actor? How is it costing one? Till what does one have to go to make it feel authentic? These are just few of the questions it makes us wonder. And other than the screenplay, it's the brilliant performance of talented actor Denis Lavant that makes us wonder that. All the sequences have something to offer; they move you, make you laugh, or make you think.

Few notable film references:
- 'Mon Oncle' (the interior of first house)
- 'Lovers on the Bridge' (Beggar sequence, La Samaritaine)
- 'Mauvais Sang' (motion-capture sequence with red & white lines scrolling in the background)
- 'Tokyo!' (the pseudo-leprechaun Merde; he also eats sushi before performing it)
- monster movies like 'King Kong' and 'Godzilla' (Merde picking up the model; the original score from 'Godzilla')
- 'Underground' (Accordion scene)
- 'Breathless' (The name 'Jean', as in Jean Seberg, Kylie Minogue's hairstyle, the mention about lost baby, suicidal tendency)
- 'The Umbrellas of Cherbourg' (Kylie's singing sequence)
- 'Cremaster 5' (Kylie's dive backwards from the building)
- 'Max Mon Amour' (being married to monkey)
- 'Eyes Without a Face' (the same actress, the same mask)
- and many others.
October 15, 2016
Holy Motors is a thoroughly enjoyable, absorbing piece of work that's fascinating, confusing, thought provoking and, at times, moving.
I heard the word 'unconventional' used to describe it, and words like that attract me to movies. I'm so glad I watched it, because, in a world where films that are pretty long on action and short on art seem to be what it's all about now, I was starting to fall out of love with cinema a little. Holy Motors restored and renewed my affection for it. It's kind of weird, but kind of wonderful too.
½ July 12, 2016
weird, weird, weird. I loved it!
July 10, 2016
Weird movie that is about movies. Slightly weirder than expected.
June 30, 2016
3.6/5

What else can I do if not to very honestly admit that my understanding of Holy Motors is likely closely related to the understanding a dog has of our televised content, as the basic connections between scenes and the "actor" thematic make it clear that an idea exists that quickly sprouts into what I can only assume are metaphors, and god knows what plot-unrelated talking cars and leprechauns have to convey.
½ February 26, 2016
Awful film. No doubt some sort of arty message hidden somewhere but I just did not get it. Critics make me laugh...how this has a 91% fresh score I'll never know, it's rotten as hell!!!
January 29, 2016
Holy shit....wtf happened
January 18, 2016
A movie like a dream. Lavant is awesome is this film - one minute he's a beggar the next he is a hit man. Mesmerizing.
January 4, 2016
An exercise in overindulgence.
½ December 14, 2015
Weird yet engaging. This is the type of movie I would only recommend to someone looking for an experience outside of the confines of typical storytelling. It makes you ask questions without providing a definitive answer to what's happening and maybe that's where I throughly enjoyed this. A reminder that something truly can still be unique.
December 8, 2015
Original, experimental, and bizarre, Holy Motors is an actor's journey through life, film, and somewhere in-between. Your senses are in for a rude awakening.
½ November 30, 2015
Beautiful film, with an arresting performance by Denis Lavant .
½ October 23, 2015
Though possessing the promise of deeply endowed themes and plot it ultimately is unable to express the message it was trying to tell us. It's unfortunate since the film is stylistically fascinating and the characters are fairly engaging. Despite how avant-garde and post-modernist the direction is, it is nothing but an idiosyncratic bunny trail that leads into an empty pit......