Holy Smoke Reviews

• Jul 07, 2020

It has great performances and insightful commentary on religion, sexuality and cultism. However, its weak script and uneven narrative prevent it from being a worthy watch.

• Mar 12, 2019

I love movies that take you away to another place where you get to meet interesting people do interesting things. This is one of those movies. What a fascinating, aggressive, deep, unique, and perplexing movie. Harvey Keitel and Kate are at the top of their game and should have been nominated for Oscars. The supporting cast only makes the film better. Kate's mom deserved a nomination for Best Female in a supporting role. Great acting all around. Rating: A-

• Jun 16, 2018

Some of it is wonderfully acted, specifically in the more intimate scenes with just Keitel and Winslet but Campion has too much going on here overall and a lot of Keitel's character arcs just seem out of place and strange. As much as I love Campion as a unique feminist filmmaker, there is an ultimate loss of cohesion and focus to this film which could have been easily amended by keeping it simpler and more grounded in its characters.

• Mar 26, 2018

When the "Victim" becomes the "Master"

When the "Victim" becomes the "Master"

• Marcus W Super Reviewer
    Sep 20, 2015

Starts really well only to run out of ideas and drive off the proverbial cliff.

Starts really well only to run out of ideas and drive off the proverbial cliff.

• Mar 20, 2015

takes on sex and religion all in 1 pic.

takes on sex and religion all in 1 pic.

• Dec 08, 2014

I don't have to honor a contract with the devil. Ruth Barron and her friends head to India where they fall in with a religious cult. Ruth can't believe the beauty of India while under the cult leader's influence; however, her parents aren't as impressed. They hire a man known for his ability to rescue kidnapped girls. He goes to India and brings her back to her family in Australia and finds an isolated house in the desert to try and help her recover from her spell. He'll find his task more challenging than he anticipated based on her beauty, intelligence, and sexual prowess. "Which of these men would you trust to pack your parachute?" Jane Champion, director of The Piano, In the Cut, Bright Star, Sweetie, The Portrait of a Lady, and episodes of Top of the Lake, delivers Holy Smoke. The storyline for this picture is a bit uneven but ended better than I anticipated. The settings were cool and the acting was very good. The cast includes Kate Winslet, Harvey Keitel, Julie Hamilton, Paul Goddard, Dan Wyllie, Sandy Gutman, and Pam Grier. "Is there a toilet or a hole here?" I grabbed this off Netflix because I am a fan of Keitel and I thought a pairing with Winslet would be fascinating. This was pretty good. I can tell you I did find some scenes annoying and frustrating, but the overall evolution of the film is good and I adored the ending. Overall, this is worth a viewing but likely not worth adding to your DVD collection as you'll only need to see this once. "Are you pleasing yourself? Is that what we brought you up to do?" Grade: B

• Oct 28, 2014

Wacky. Jane Campion goes out on a limb again. Are Australians really anything like this dysfunctional lot? The movie is a strange mix of comic set pieces and a serious undertone. The alien (to non-Australians) environment exacerbates the disorientation. I liked it more than the missus did. maybe that was down to the number of sex scenes ;) .

• Sep 01, 2014

What a terrible mess of a movie.

What a terrible mess of a movie.

• Jul 14, 2013

I just loved it when I saw it o a theatre, back in the day.

I just loved it when I saw it o a theatre, back in the day.