Hook - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hook Reviews

½ January 5, 2017
Best Peter Pan adapation, it has heart and humor, one of best movies of my childhood. Didn't realized the bad reviews. I think it's something nostalgic especially when u watch it when u were still a kid.
January 4, 2017
There are a few movies from the past that I rate as absolute classic Kids or Family movies. Things like The Sandlot. This is right up there with them.
Viewing critically, I think the only bad thing about this movie is some weak child acting, but kids won't notice that and adults will be too busy being amazed by Dustin Hoffman playing the best Captain James Hook ever to grace the screen.
Filled with quotable moments, it's a perfect movie for resuscitating your inner child.
November 27, 2016
This is a movie I always watch around Christmas. A wonderful tale.
½ November 13, 2016
This is another Spielberg film I have not seen, until now. Far better than I thought it would be. Strong performances, and even an appearance from Phil Collins, keep the film going, when things start to get too sickly.
October 2, 2016
What kind of black-hearted, joy-hating, imaginationless person must you be to not enjoy 'Hook'? If you can't watch this movie and go along with Peter as he finds the child in his own heart, I pity you and your obviously sad existence.
September 17, 2016
Lazy, uninspiring, and childish; Steven Spielberg's "Hook" proves that sometimes great filmmakers can also fall. Most of the set pieces look just like that, film sets that can easily be distinguished from what is real and what was filmed on stage. Dustin Hoffman was fun as the charismatic Captain Hook, but he wasn't enough to overcome his cheesy dialogue and the rest of the ridiculous moments he kept having. Can't believe they brought nothing new to the Peter Pan fable. The only time we see Peter Pan is when we're 3/4 into the movie. John Williams again shines as the film's composer and that's the only positive thing about the movie. Spielberg should have read the script twice before entering production. Just saying.
September 11, 2016
Robin Williams and Dustin Hoffman are incredible, not to mention RUFIO RUFIO RUFIO!
September 4, 2016
Hook boasts entertaining performances from Robin Williams, Dustin Hoffman, and Bob Hoskins, but it's an uneven film with an overabundance of sappy sentiment and a distinct lack of magic or fun.
July 27, 2016
Hook (1991) C-144m. ?? D: Steven Spielberg. Dustin Hoffman, Robin Williams, Julia Roberts, Bob Hoskins. Joyless, cheerless big-budget version of J.M. Barrie's classic tale, supposedly takes place after his story where Peter Pan, now an adult, returns to Neverland to be reunited with the characters and dangers of his childish imagination. Hoffman, Williams, and even Hoskins are perfect for their parts, but why this isn't a straightforward retelling of Peter Pan, and why everything looks red and brown (instead of blue and green) are just a few of this movie's many flaws. Hugely disappointing. Drab photography by Dean Cundey. Where's the magic and wonder of Peter Pan!?
July 16, 2016
It wasn't til i grew up that i realised the negative reputation it had. This was my favorite childhood film and still is, I even own the soundtrack twice over. This has some truly magical moments and the soundtrack composed by John Williams only adds to the magic, I would recommend you give it a go, you may love it...
½ July 5, 2016
Critics have their heads up their asses on this one which is nothing but golden thru and thru. The more time passes the fonder people remember this film and more people discover it. If that's not the definition of a classic regardless of technical flaws, I don't know what is.
July 3, 2016
A childhood gem filled with action, humor, and cinematic magic.
Film C.
½ June 25, 2016
Reminds me the first Spielberg film ever to be the worst.
½ June 25, 2016
This movie is awesome, I love it. However, with that said, there are a number of problems.
First of all, this movies run time is to long for a family movie. It starts out slow, the first 50 minutes to about the first hour, I think could have cut out a number of shots. Even though it does get better after those 50-60 minutes, it doesn't mean that this movie is like picture frame perfect or anything, several scenes feel like they could've been done better, it can even get a little to corny or too smultzy in the third act, but with that said, it is imaginative, has great heart, and it does have some of that Spielberg charm to it Once the characters develop into those characteristics we loved from the Disney version and the book, you realize these actors are doing a really good job playing their roles, The two main leads Hoffman and Williams do a great job playing their roles. The thing is, this movies plot and story isn't really focus so much on Hook as it should for the movie to be called Hook. The story isn't really about Hook, it's about Peter Pan getting his magic back so he will be able to save his kids from Hook. So if I were to title this movie, I would say it should've been titled Another Pan.
Overall, this is a family movie that parents will probably enjoy watching with their kids, if you don't mind sitting for more than 2 hours watching it. The first 1/3 will be slow, but it gets better from there. There is the Spielberg charm but there are things that could be changed including a new title.
June 12, 2016
Can't imagine my life without this film.
½ June 12, 2016
ROOOOOOOFIOOOOO. Another Robin Williams' great, twisting on a classic tale.
½ June 5, 2016
In yet another example of revisiting a film from my childhood, 'Hook' was an interesting rewatch. The film has a lot of moments that stuck with me through the years but it wasn't until tonight that I realized just how painfully cheesy they are. Oftentimes Spielberg can get away with these moments in my book but in 'Hook' he pushes it to an extreme.

Can we also talk about how unnecessarily long this is? Chop out another 30 minutes (there's definitely enough fluff to do that) and this might make for a briskly enjoyable trip down memory lane, but as it is you'll more likely be put to sleep.

One star given alone is dedicated to the crazy old man screaming, "It's snowing!"
May 30, 2016
Not the best from Spielberg but it has its charm.
½ May 23, 2016
Hook is directed by Steven Spielberg, and it stars the late Robin Williams, Dustin Hoffman, and Julia Roberts in a fantasy film about Peter Pan growing up, completely forgetting about his life as Peter Pan in Neverland, that is until his kids get kidnapped and he has to go back to Neverland. I've heard about this film, whether it has negative reviews from critics, and a very positive review from Nostalgia Critic. So for watching Hook myself, it's really good, but it's very flawed though. The performances are very good, especially Robin Williams and Dustin Hoffman. The premise is very clever, and it does take a bit of advantage of it. The score by John Williams is very memorable and catchy, and the effects are really good, even if the sets do look obvious. There are funny moments in it, and the way Neverland works is cool and imaginative. It's very cliched however, and it's too sappy for its own good. The last act can get a bit irritated however despite with some cool fight scenes, and there a lot of plot points that don't make sense. Steven Spielberg's Hook is probably one of his weakest films, but I still had a fun time watching it.