Hook - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hook Reviews

March 21, 2018
You know I really wanted to like this but it has too many flaws to be ignored. The script is rushed, and thinly written with an extremely questionable direction from the typically brilliant, Steven Spielberg. It's biggest flaw is how it rushes Peter coming to remember who is and interacting with the rest of the characters as Peter Pan.What really makes this cringe-worthy is not only Julia Roberts performance but also how the film was unnecessarily edited to include her awkward green-screen acting moments throughout. Nonetheless, the film has many endearing aspects such as the eccentric Lost Boys crew which had the story gone more into their backstories would've made the film 10X more interesting and engaging. It's also worth noting that besides Roberts everyone really brought their 'A' game from Hoffman's Hook to Bob Hoskins' Smee. Overall, despite it's cardboard, hoaky presentation, it does have its elements that make it worth at least one watch.
March 20, 2018
Hook with Robin Williams has 29%...29!! An outrage! This movie WAS my childhood. Probably seen that movie more than any other to this day. I watched it on repeat as a kid and that shit holds up. An original take on a classic story where Robin Williams get to show his full range from goofy to serious! It's a masterpiece damn it. A GOD DAMN MASTERPIECE!

Rufio! Rufio! Rufio!

The critics suck and are wrong. This is the best movie ever. It was my favorite as a kid. It's how I fell in love with Robin Williams.

Robin Williams, Dustin Hoffman, Julia Roberts and Bob Haskins. Directed by Stephen Spielberg. That Shit is fire on paper
March 16, 2018
Probably one of my favorite childhood movies. Screw the people who say it deviates from the original story, I don't give a crap- this is awesome stuff.
I may be biased, I'm an artist, and my admiration has grown for ingenuity and little use of CGI in movies in general. Everyone moaning about it says there isn't much too it, whereas I think it is a visual fairytale of a movie, like illustrations right out of a storybook. The craftsmanship throughout is something I relish along with a story line that personally hits home for me. The cast is excellent, the colors refreshing, and the story (I think, compared to blown-out, let's-get-to-the-point insanity of movies today) is well-paced.
½ March 7, 2018
This movie is awesome, I love it. However, with that said, there are a number of problems.
First of all, this movies run time is to long for a family movie. It starts out slow, the first 50 minutes to about the first hour, I think could have cut out a number of shots. Even though it does get better after those 50-60 minutes, it doesn't mean that this movie is like picture frame perfect or anything, several scenes feel like they could've been done better, it can even get a little to corny or too smultzy in the third act, but with that said, it is imaginative, has great heart, and it does have some of that Spielberg charm to it Once the characters develop into those characteristics we loved from the Disney version and the book, you realize these actors are doing a really good job playing their roles, The two main leads Hoffman and Williams do a great job playing their roles. The thing is, this movies plot and story isn't really focus so much on Hook as it should for the movie to be called Hook. The story isn't really about Hook, it's about Peter Pan getting his magic back so he will be able to save his kids from Hook. So if I were to title this movie, I would say it should've been titled Another Pan.
Overall, this is a family movie that parents will probably enjoy watching with their kids, if you don't mind sitting for more than 2 hours watching it. The first 1/3 will be slow, but it gets better from there. There is the Spielberg charm but there are things that could be changed including a new title.
March 4, 2018
Loved it as a kid, love it as an adult. There's just something timeless about the characters and acting. This isn't trying to challenge your intelligence or perceptions, it's just a fun story, a slightly new twist on the Peter Pan story.
½ February 26, 2018
How this movie holds such a poor review is beyond me. It's theme stands the test of time...if only anyone could "remember".
February 2, 2018
Child hood classic, fuck the critics
January 14, 2018
A great classic! "Hook" was a big watch for me when i was young, i always loved to put it on and loved every part of it. Years after i still love it and have a lot of great memories when watching. The casting was great, Robin Williams and Dustin Hoffman was perfect casting. This film has lots of heart and humor and is a wonderful Peter Pan Adaption.
January 13, 2018
Can't imagine my life without this film.
½ January 12, 2018
29%? Are you kidding me? last time I've look around the site it was 30%. anyway this movie might be entertaining as it is great.
November 24, 2017
Probably my favorite childhood movie.
½ November 19, 2017
Anyone who hasn?t seen this movie should. It is one of the best speilberg movies ever. It has great special effects,sets,costumes and cast. F*cking love this movie !
November 11, 2017
One of my favorite Spielberg movies. So much heart. How can you not love it? Maybe if you're a crazy liberal snowflake full of hate?? Everyone should love this movie.
½ November 1, 2017
Speilberg failed here. Just awful, with the worst acting imaginable. If you want to see this go ahead but I warned you. Its his all time worst movie.
November 1, 2017
Underrated that's for sure.
½ October 8, 2017
This is one of my favorite Robin Williams and Steven Spielberg movie, This movie is pretty funny, fantastic, and pretty fun too
September 19, 2017
I was pleasantly taken aback by this film. It becomes this balancing act between being dramatic and serious to being fantastical, silly, and even funny. It demonstrates the harshness of adult responsibilities, but also the innocent imagination that exists in the young. Both Robin Williams and Dustin Hoffman delightfully play the hero and villain respectfully with hammy joy.
Some will take issue with the third act's plotholes and that is understandable, but I'd argue that they serve to strengthen the fairy tale aspects of the film because in the end, it IS a fairy tale where both perfection and reality are disposed of.
½ September 9, 2017
Stupid and pointless
½ September 5, 2017
i very much enjoyed this movie, i think it is the best peter pan movie made