Hoop Dreams - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hoop Dreams Reviews

September 19, 2017
Not a good movie that I enjoyed so I have seen better basketball movies
September 13, 2017
One of the best documentaries every created. Saw it in the theater and it was just awesome.
August 28, 2017
A great, epic documentary about 2 teens growing up in Chicago and their struggles and triumphs as they make their way through high school.
August 20, 2017
My Favorite Film Of All Time Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
June 22, 2017
A film that shows reality can be as good, if not better, than fiction.
May 4, 2017
I'm not sure what everybody else watched, but the Hoop Dreams I saw was terrible. The only thing I can figure out is that time has certainly not been kind to it. It now seems poorly made. (First and only viewing - 11/22/2016)
March 22, 2017
Very powerful and touching. Such an awesome and mind-blowing movie. The basketball action is good and the characters are deep and strong. Great.
February 22, 2017
An intriguing look at two young men growing up in the inner city area of Chicago with high hopes to play in the NBA. It went on a little long, but overall it was a well done documentary that is worth checking out
January 29, 2017
I don't tend to like documentaries and when I saw this I was not a fan of this it was boring
October 16, 2016
Proud to say that I attended St. Joseph High School, where some of this documentary was filmed. It was an amazing & beautifully well-told & well-filmed story!
September 22, 2016
A long but in depth documentary focusing on two African-American boys growing up in the slums of Chicago that are bent on making the NBA.

It focuses not on their home life but the pressure in high school & university basketball & the pressure put on them to perform.

This film captures the spontaneity of the boys & their heart & passion to play basketball. Rather stirring & inspiring but could have been a good 30-40 mins shorter.
June 26, 2016
Forget reality television, this is a reality movie. So taking it back to the 80's, this is a documentary showcasing two promising high school basketball players, Arthur Agee and William Gates. They both come from impoverished backgrounds where there is struggle a plenty off the court. Can they rise up, overcome and take their games to the next level? This is another film that is featured on the 1,001 Movies You Must See Before You Die list, but the thing that really caught my eye about this is that Roger Ebert has been quoted as saying that this is his favorite film released in the 1990's, which is certainly high praise, given the thousands of movies the man watched throughout his illustrious career. And the movie is really solid, too, but I wasn't expecting anything different from a movie that got paid such a hefty compliment. One thing you may not know about me is that I'm actually a huge fan of the NBA and of basketball in general. I have always had a love for the sport, and can always watch a game and get really into it, regardless if it is high school, college, or professional. If you are going to watch this, the one thing that you have to keep in mind about the NBA is that while it glamorous, there is only about 450 open spots in the league, averaging about 14 - 15 spots per roster per 30 teams. This means that when you watch Hoop Dreams, you are getting what is undoubtedly an inspiring underdog story, but if you have a foot in the realm of realism, you know that the likelihood that these two get to go pro is astronomical, even given how talented they both are. This is a raw and emotional documentary that is easy to get into. You get invested in it, and you want to see nothing but good things for these kids, especially given their backgrounds. It's almost 3 hours long, but it moves as fast as can be, showing years of their lives in a very abbreviated form (they apparently shot over 250 hours of footage over 5 years). Even if you tether the expectations of their dreams, simply getting into college would be a triumph, so you always have something to root for. Hoop Dreams is a wonderful documentary, is accessible at every moment, and is absolutely something that you should take the time to view.
June 24, 2016
Well made (at this point it could be called classic) documentary about two high school basketball players struggling to balance school, the sport, and all the struggles that face them in inner city Chicago in the early 90s. Both kids have dreams of basketball getting them into college and even hope to maybe make the NBA...but it isn't really so much about the game, as much as it is a real look at what life can be like for these kids who grow up poor and face all the strife that comes with that...and we've designed a society for them in which one of the few viable ways out...is a game. Really a great documentary, a great slice of a piece of America that is still fairly present in this day and age.
May 29, 2016
Hoop Dreams is able to give a deep look in the American Dream of showing two people destined at basketball, but trouble happening along the way. It is emotional and heartwarming about close relationships with family and dealing through life itself
May 23, 2016
one of the first docs that really got me n2 docs, this and 'grey gardens'
April 26, 2016
Extraordinary documentary following the lives of two NBA hopefuls and the colleges who want to recruit them.
April 20, 2016
Hoop Dreams (1994) ????
One of the greatest documentaries of all-time, a mesmerizing odyssey of the lives of two Chicago boys who dream of professional basketball. So rich in emotion it actually starts to become drama, even though it's real. Also, it cannot be predicted since no writer could devise the stunning events that happen. A fascinating, heartbreaking study, whether you're interested in sports or not. Long but extremely worthwhile; the highest recommendation given. Evidently, this was not nominated the Oscar for Best Documentary but was instead nominated for Editing, even though the Academy complained about the length! In any event, a triumph.
April 16, 2016
Might seem average now but for the time it was an amazing look at another side of life. Sure they make these things all the time now, but not in 1991. Powerful, well worth the three hours.
April 15, 2016
Hampered by being too long and not focused enough.
March 5, 2016