Hope and Glory - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hope and Glory Reviews

November 9, 2015
A funny our flick. The scene where the father's friend is running after them in the car nearly killed me. It comes across as a labour of love from Boorman, and no doubt shares some of his own experiences of growing up during the blitz.
July 19, 2015
A very well made film about life during the second world war and the stoicism of the British people. Wonderfully acted and very heartfelt at times. The sequel to this (released this year) definitely does this justice but this is better.
½ June 16, 2015
These are director, John Boorman's own memoirs of his experiences growing up in the Blitz. Boorman's recollections bring to mind a sense of innocent wonderment about what was happening around him. Neighbour's houses being destroyed, children learning through their friends that their fathers would not be returning, young women frollicking amid the rubble with Canadian Airmen. Boorman shows his usual touch with applying humour where perhaps a more discreet director would have played it straight. This film is beautiful because it portrays the darkest hour of the century through a child's unknowing eyes.
May 24, 2015
A charming little British film with a stellar performance from Sebastian Rice Edwards who I am surprised didn't do much after this movie. Sarah Miles and Sammi Davis are also wonderful as the mom and sister. Great score, costumes, production design, and sound design
½ May 9, 2015
Pretty good film showing us what life was like for a English kid during the second world war. Nice to see an alternative viewpoint of the war for a change.
½ March 24, 2015
The comedy set on the British home front during the war is full of British humor and enjoyable. Innocence of kids and humorous performance of Sarah and other actors save the movie from darkness of the war.
March 15, 2015
prequel to queen & country
½ February 1, 2015
Elegant, at times starkly crass, and still completely authentic to that time, this is the movie that connects me to the stories of my dad growing up in England during WWII.
He loves this movie. It took me a while to appreciate it, honestly.

I was a bit put-off by the strange rawness and brazen qualities of the time period when I first saw this as an 80s teen when it first came out.
But now as an adult w a wider perspective, I can appreciate the details and qualities that make it so authentic, raw and yet truly endearing.

Although it's mostly nostalgic and about a family staying together, don't think it's all cushy hugs and tears by any means. This is about a war and it's survivors muddling thru. So, hearing ppl having sex in the rubble of their previous home, and young boys talking about how easy a girl probably is since both her parents are dead now - these are the things that shocked me to tastelessness and left me bewildered, but will understandably have their place in this history, no matter how I pontificate to moralize it.

Clearly PG-13, the redeeming qualities of the experience far outweigh the harsh truths to create an accurate, sentimental, honest portrayal of a bygone time.

4.5 out of 5 slaps to the forehead
(it's a weird English thing - just ask my Dad...lol)
½ April 28, 2014
Director John Boorman has had a career of ups and downs, when he's good, he's very good (Point Blank (1967), Deliverance (1972) and Excalibur (1981)), but when he's bad, well... (Zardoz (1974) and Exorcist II: The Heretic (1977)), but here, Boorman created one his best film, a semi-autobiographical war film based on experiences from his childhood, and surviving during World War 2. This tells the story of Bill Rowan (Sebastian Rice-Edwards), who lives with his mother Grace (Sarah Miles), father Clive (David Hayman), younger sister Sue (Geraldine Muir) and older sister Dawn (Sammi Davis), and when World War 2 is announced between England and Germany, they have to learn to survive. They witness as most of their street ends up being bombed by the Luftwaffe, how it affects their friends and family, Clive joins the army but comes home every Christmas. However, when their house burns down due to a house fire rather than a bombing, they go to live with Grace's parents, where Bill bonds with Grandfather George (Ian Bannen). Despite such a serious subject matter, it's amazing that Boorman manages to find humour within the hardships of wartime. Despite such a low budget, Boorman built an entire street of houses at Wisley Airfield in Surrey, most of which is bombed during the film, and it has some brilliant performances too.
March 22, 2014
Boorman finally gets a script that matches up to his insanely beautiful images.
December 16, 2013
Very enjoyable. Reminiscent of Cinema Paradiso and similar Italian narrative movies seen from a child's point of view. Very straightforward structure, rose-tinted but based on realities. Full of larger than life, wholesome personalities, fittingly for a film that's broadly speaking a memoir of young Boorman's wartime childhood.
½ November 10, 2013
Seen through the eyes of seven year old Billy Rohan, this is a wondrous look at life in England during World War 2. John Boorman based the screenplay on his own childhood experiences without moralizing. Highly Recommended!
October 16, 2013
The definitive film of a people under attack..a personal tale of maintaining your day to day life as the bombs rain down. It was the defiance of a people and it is captured ever so well by John Boorman.
½ September 15, 2013
A touching family film about a young boy & his family living in London during WW2. Heart warming, touching , extremely well acted, written & shot, this film is, as always with director John Boorman, a great journey through time & space. A film like no one can make anymore.....
½ July 9, 2013
An endearing take on the war with a special place in our DVD collection because we live down the road from where John Boorman grew up and where the early days are set (carshalton, rosehill avenue, fact fans)
½ July 7, 2013
This is a cute movie, but has nothing really significant about it to make it appealing or considered great.
May 26, 2013
Absolutely loved it. of course a seven year old would remember most of this as a grand adventure.