Hot Coffee Reviews

• Apr 18, 2019

Just a stunning/shocking documentary on the injustices of tort reform and mandatory arbitration. Big companies as usual banded together to form a powerful lobby group and tried over and over and over again to take away the rights of citizens to the benefit of the big companies, and eventually they got their way in most states. Even though Bush and Karl Rove (can you name even 1 good thing that Rove has ever done?) fought extremely hard to make the changes at the federal level, they was ultimately unsuccessful, hence they went to plan b and got their way at the state level by having their own judges run for election to different states' Supreme Courts. Because whoever spends the most in these elections wins 90% of the time, they used the deep pockets of their lobby group (comprised of big companies) to secure judicial nominations all across the country. And then whenever a case came up of a citizen vs a big company the appeal usually went in favour of the big company due to the decisions of said judges. To make it even worse, they also had laws changed (by the same lobby groups) that capped the amounts that juries could award wronged citizens to ridiculously low amounts. How is this all legal? It's asinine and so wrong. Yet that's how the American justice system works. I'm so livid and I'm not even American! Then they also get into mandatory arbitration agreements and how big companies sneak these into contracts and agreements so they can't be sued in court. And people who usually have no clue (like me) sign these contracts and now potentially put ourselves in situations whereby if we're wronged, not only can we not go to court, the company picks the arbitrator. And bc the arbitrators want repeat business they rule in favour of the big companies 90% of the time (that's a fact). And the rub, is that everything done in arbitration stays hidden from the public. It's ridiculous. It's heart breaking. I initially laughed at the McDonalds hot coffee lady for her "frivolous lawsuit, but now that I know the circumstances, it was not only not frivolous, it was the least that should've happened to McD's. I will never use the term frivolous lawsuit in the same way ever again. Everybody should have to watch this doc.

• Jan 22, 2017

Interesting movie about tort reform and how forced arbitration has silenced the public in wrongful injury/death suits. Of course, it started with the McDonalds coffee case where the elderly woman burned herself between her legs. Her burns were so severe she had to have skin grafts.

• Oct 10, 2016

A very informative documentary about how corporate interests have been taking over the legal system to make sure individual lawsuits do not get proper compensation. Definitely worth a watch, very interesting stuff.

• May 01, 2016

Those with the wealth make the rules.

Those with the wealth make the rules.

• Apr 29, 2016

A movie that'll make you want to burn down the US chamber of commerce lobbying group.

• Jan 31, 2016

Interesting doc. Not really about hot coffee. Ha. Beautifully shot. Great handling of archive footage.

John B Super Reviewer
    Dec 18, 2015

This documentary about the case involving the woman who sued McDonalds after having hot coffee spill onto her lap is a fascinating look at how the truth is often warped to make a more compelling story or a joke. Very insightful.

• Oct 21, 2015

Effective storytelling that stirs up one's sense of justice. Three main stories are presented. However, the third and final story has some holes and is a yet unverified case.

• Sep 30, 2015

One of the most fascinating and enlightening documentaries out there. It opens your eyes on the misconceptions about cases, and what it reveals about corporate influences on the American legal system.

• Jul 30, 2015

At last a rebuttal to the arguements we've all been hearing for years about frivolous lawsuits. During my Time in the State of Florida I had the privilege to be in the minority on Florida Medical Malpractice Protection, Amendment 8 and Florida Medical Liability Compensation, Amendment 3 (2004) if you know me you understand that I find that majority opinion in America is often Completely inverted upside down inside out and backwards due to years of Republican brainwashing and the fact that the majority is Tribalistically conservative and doesn't actually do any critical thinking anymore as they are authoritarians and just believe whatever the party leadership tells them to believe, if you think i'm biased or being overly harsh to republicans I would heavily encourage you to check out Bob Altemeyer's Wonderful work called the authoritians. Republicans have even go so far as to try to ban critical thinking in public schools in America. This party is a Joke and should not be taken seriously as a national party any longer but unfortunately because the Republican party has been around for so long it has been given a legitimacy it has actually outlived and no longer deserves and it should have been evident to over 60 percent of the electoral but sadly they have short memories that they were not a Serious political party anymore when they Shut down the government in 2012 in order to try and Force and Blackmail obama into doing what they wanted. http://www.alternet.org/newsandviews/article/1012974/texas_republicans_seek_to_ban_critical_thinking_in_public_schools if you think i'm exagerating about them. don't trust alternet? That's fine. here it is from the austin chroncile. These people blindly believe that "father' as in their leaders, George W bush, karl rove, whoever knows best and were never raised in a tradition that taught them it was patriotic to question their leaders, in fact it taught them doing so was tauntamont to treason. http://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/news/2012-06-27/gop-opposes-critical-thinking/ If you STILL don't trust that here it is YET AGAIN from the Republicans THEMSELVES: http://s3.amazonaws.com/texasgop_pre/assets/original/2012Platform_Final.pdf "Knowledge-Based Education - We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student's fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority" What this Paragraph says essentially is that the Republicans feel the Schools are Creating too many Scientist who accept Darwin's Theory of Evolution and Aren't Christian and that our Public schools are corrupting our Youth by making them question the religion they were raised under their parents under and we cannot have that now can we? These people are little Tyrants who want absolute power to brainwash their children into their religion free from anything that may contradict or challenge that view. So essentially republicans want power to brainwash their kids and are afraid of their children being taught sciences and such like evolution because it may just make them no longer believe what their parents do and are trying to force them to accept. Basically REMEMBER KIDS: YOU DON"T HAVE THE FREEDOM TO HAVE YOUR OWN RELIGION, Your PARENTS want to FORCE theirs on oyu. and essentially as a result 60 percent of the people who were tribalist in my state Supported tort reform without doing a Shred of research on wither it was a good idea or having an ounce of skepticism towards the McDonalds case debunked in this firm or treating anything at all with a healthy dose of doubt. As a result of this Tribalistic nonsense the GOP continues to exist even to this day in spite of not really being a legimate party- and it's dying out. Slowly. Because of these reasons but not quickly enough. A movie like this will accelerate the decline of the party because it's already succeeded at waking a number of people who thought they were informed consumers before this up. As to the film itself it corrected a lot of misconceptions i myself wasn't actually yet aware of and the only potential flaw i found is that even Amanda marcoette has some questions about the veracity and truth of jamie leigh jones case. However that stated and my skepticism towards her doesn't for me make me skepitical of the question being raised. I think the most annoying part though of Politics in a Truly Public sense is that it's probably not a good idea to use the jamie leigh jones case when Even Amanda marcotte has doubts that her story was true. I think this because in my mind Jamie Leigh Jones case might be Suspect but the underlying issues her Case Exposed could just as equally apply if KBR and halliburton were Guiltier than Fuck and the problem is a lot of the public isn't at that kind of Abstract "Jamie Leigh Jones." Is just a variable in what is essentially the legal equalivant of a math formula for which anyone including somebody who's case was a lot more solid could fill the role of. Meaning Her Heartwrenching story isn't the thing to get caught up on, The thing to pay attention to is the issues her story Raised about our legal system and In a hypotherical situation suppose KBR and the company HAD done something like that and the victim had much greater creditability. http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2011/07/kbr-could-win-jamie-leigh-jones-rape-trial the individual anecdote isn't the part that matters, it's what the anecdote reveals about the justice system. meaning you could substute her for just about anyone with a much more meritorous case and the same Limits she had to endure would Apply so the issue isn't wither she Lied but What her testimony means for anyone at all that endures such things in the military. See the republicans and libertarians especially would want you to focus on the individual anecdote instead of what that anecdotes case meant for the abstract legal theory that -every- american will have to endure. Meaning the merits of the individuals case is immaterial (irrelevant.) to the argument. Part of the problem that is Working against us liberals is that liberals tend to think holistically and much of the "majority' in this country thinks reductionally. Meaning Liberals tend to stay focused on the Big picture and Conservatives tend to be Short sighted and stay focused on the Moment to moment. So a conservative sees an individual but the Liberal sees how that individual's case is likely to affect Society at Large. They've deliberately encouraged that style of thinking though because the moment we realize we're all in together to some extent the republicans are truly screwed. https://youtu.be/5YNv3yjtZ1Y It has to become an issue of personal identity. See I believe I am an individual yes, but I also realize that as a individual I am part of a Community that is larger than (self.) and That means things like If Employees are forced in my Community to sign mandatory arbiration clauses then those employees will not really have that much power to hold the company accountable for anything it does wrong and won't have much Power which harms all of of society which is worse off because of it. I oppose Tort Deform not just for personal reasons but because it's a Hollow attempt by an unpopular minority who is acting as goliath to disarm their david's and to really fuck things up for all of us. Those High judgements were actually a Net good for Society countrary to what Republicans have been arguing because accountability always tends to produce better products and superior services and the community already had sufficent ways of dealing with lawsuits that were not meritorious. George W Bush was pushing Pure unreality. I don't want Big money, what I want is ACCOUNTABILITY and Republicans worked OVERTIME to REMOVE it. Fuck what you Heard, What Republicans really mean is that they think Corporations should not be accountable to the Public for the Harms they unleash. Republicans don't think the Buck should stop with ANYONE. When they talk about "Freedom" what they really mean mean is absolutely no accountability for anything ever! they're misusing the word! With FREEDOM comes responsibility and they DON'T WANT to PAY the PRICE of those responsibilities. http://downwithtyranny.blogspot.com/2008/07/no-accountability-ever-who-will-pay-for.html Freedom is NOT a synonym for NO ACCOUNTABILITY. It takes critical thinking skills to know the majority Was wrong though.