Hounds of Love - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hounds of Love Reviews

November 21, 2017
Hounds of Love is a beautifully shot, unrelentingly brutal film, with a level of tension that at times borders on annoying. I think I take issue with certain elements of the story given that I am a true crime fanatic and know the true story of David / Catherine Birnie, and certain character choices don't really make sense given what's happened beforehand. But the story told here is, Im sure, more narratively satisfying and thats really more important in a fictional drama.
November 20, 2017
Masterful filmmaking by a director and cast who are able to ever so convincingly draw out depths of utter vile wickedness, ultra terror, and the truest of desperation while also showing the ever-developing changes in the dynamics of the relationship between Vickie and John. Evelyn acted as a stupid, inconsiderate girl, though separation, or worse, divorce, will go that to you. But she was certainly very sharp and brave in the way she was able to manipulate her way to being saved.
November 2, 2017
Australia remains one of the most consistently fascinating sources of modern Horror filmmaking. While their releases of this quality are considered few and far between, it begs the question to American Studios, "Doesn't it take U.S. Horror film productions WORTH SEEING just as long as their competition does - only difference being that the U.S. film studios over-saturate their audiences with a shamelessly amount of garbage and sell it as Horror, while other parts of the world practice patience and oh my does it pay off to those who wait."
October 25, 2017
Great movie great acting.. Sticks with ya
½ October 9, 2017
7.5/10
~October 9, 2017~
September 19, 2017
i guess they didn't have stranger danger in Australia in the 80's...
August 30, 2017
Despite one scene of animal violence I thought this movies tension and suspense were well done. I had no idea what I was getting myself into with this story and these horrible people. I thought all the graphic scenes were dealt with in tasteful way, so while the idea is traumatic I thankfully don't have images to pair with the violence (which I prefer). I thought it was well crafted and the actors did well working within some parts almost completely devoid of dialogue. It's not a light subject and not for the faint of heart, but I liked it.
½ August 30, 2017
forse il film di tensione pių forte che abbia mai visto, quasi da spegnere, ma nel complesso da vedere
½ August 28, 2017
A good Aussie thriller.
August 24, 2017
A superb look at a real-life Aussie serial killer couple. Definitely worth a watch.
August 23, 2017
Garbage. The slomo parts pissed me off. And it's not realistic! At all
½ August 11, 2017
Unpleasant but incredibly accomplished tale of misogynist violence. Treads the fine line between stylised and glamorised without ever falling down. The performances ? especially from Emma Booth ? are astonishing, and the script knows just when to switch off and let them shine.
August 7, 2017
The acting in this is top notch. In particular, Australian comedian Stephen Curry who is chilling as one-half of the twisted serial killing partnership. The tension generated at times is fantastic but it falls a little flat and is it is a little particular. Director Ben Young's use Carol of the Bells is haunting and the scene with The Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin is extremely disturbing. Also, great use of Joy Division's - Atmosphere. A good psychological thriller.
½ August 6, 2017
The Critic Consensus couldn't have said it better, Hounds of Love promises a bright future for director/writer Ben Young. It's like a mix between Wolf Creek (2005) and Split (2017), but with less gore and some killing suspense. It's a very disturbing, demented movie, it doesn't deserve to be negolected, it's a good horror flick. And, what's even more dsturbing is that there are actually motherfuckers who would do that kind of stuff. Recommended !!
August 1, 2017
Hounds of Love is pretty damned disturbing psychological thriller that's a hard watch, but it has some riveting performances. Had to turn away a few times but you'll be twisted in knots at the end.
July 29, 2017
Asfixiante y pertubador thriller australiano.
July 26, 2017
Hard to watch, but it was worth it. Vicki shows her wit by manipulating her captors against each other, calling Evie's bluff, and hiding messages in letters. We don't learn much about John, but Evie has a rich history of abuse that facilitated her repetition of the cycle and made it easy for Vicki to abuse her humanity.
½ July 24, 2017
Depicting the unpleasantness of abduction, rape, and violence without offering much insight into either captors or victim, "Hounds of Love" is exploitive garbage.
½ July 17, 2017
Extremely hard to watch due to the perverse subject matter but the ending is riveting.
July 1, 2017
gut turning. not your standard thriller