Hounds of Love - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hounds of Love Reviews

June 15, 2017
to be honest this film is nothing short of a masterpiece in the horror/thriller genra. It is slightly disturbing until the end and it is slightly frustrating until the end but the acting and directing and also the sound track are all fantastic. It's a must watch if you like disturbing movies that get you feeling slightly disturbed.
½ June 13, 2017
Intense and chilling and astonishingly well made and acted.
½ June 12, 2017
A tough watch. Emma Booth gives a great performance. Just not something I'd ever want to see again.
June 3, 2017
Well-executed shocker with a very rich and memorable soundtrack. It leaves you with a bitter taste in your mouth, of what human beings are capable of, and what they actually do from time to time. It's a sort of "Eden Lake" in spirit. The main "heroine", the wife, is outstanding, though everybody acted very well in this sick (in a good sense) movie. Australians surely can do tough movies.
May 30, 2017
A disturbing film that doesn't really offer up anything new in the sex victim genre, but it is smarter than most...until the end that is. :/
May 28, 2017
Unsettling and shocking, "Hounds of Love" may be too much for some to handle, but it is an excellent crime-horror-thriller from the land down under.
½ May 20, 2017
very engaging and terrifying till the last minute.
½ May 18, 2017
If you changed all the slo mo shots in this movie to regular speed, it would be half as long and nothing would have been lost.
May 14, 2017
Once again, pro critics show their preference for fetish, sick material over wholesome works of art.
May 14, 2017
A dispiriting but undeniably gripping serial killer drama-thriller that enjoys toying with the audience's expectations. Although its sexual violence is never gratuitous but implied, Hounds of Love still messes around with the head and marks an impressive debut from Ben Young.
May 13, 2017
It feels weird giving this movie a 4 star rating as it is not something I enjoyed. Actually I would like to know the names and faces of all the people who did enjoy this movie so I can warn everyone I love to steer clear of you forever.

You can not nonchalantly eat your popcorn and watch this film. I was sick to my stomach, frightened and repulsed by what I saw on screen and yet the three central characters were played to such perfection by Booth, Cummings and Curry that I couldn't keep my eyes off it.

All throughout I couldn't help but be reminded by Canada's own infamous serial killer couple. I left the theatre visibly shaken, popcorn thrown in the garbage.

Ben Young....I would be interested to see what he comes up with next.
May 9, 2017
COUPLE OF MONSTERS

Great movie about horrific stuff. There ya go. Evelyn and John cruise Perth school yards, fishing for teenage girls with friendly Aussie banter and car ride offers. The pleasantries end right there.

As the secret predator couple in the neighbourhood, Emma Booth and Stephen Curry are spectacular in their complicated performances. Charming and congenial, slick and methodical, brutal and sadistic, vulnerable and suspicious; all bases are covered. "Hounds of Love" is about serial sexual homicide, and it is as brutal as that sounds. Not in an exploitative manner (most of the cruelty is offscreen), but in its believable depiction of perversion, and the matter of fact execution by the monsters.

Sporting a cheesy moustache, Curry presents a tiny, unassuming wimp - he is humiliated and berated about money owing. Yet deep inside he is a tight wound ball of explosion, and the creepy manipulator of all crimes. Evelyn is a more than wiling accomplice, but she has a wounded past, shows some semblance of sympathy, and is thus the weak link in the monster couple. How all this plays out in the most recent triangle is expertly framed by newbie filmmaker Ben Young.

"Hounds of Love" is a difficult watch, but it's also difficult to ignore.

- hipCRANK
½ May 4, 2017
There were no hounds in this movie.
March 25, 2017
Oh no, not another serial killer film (sigh)