Hulk - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hulk Reviews

September 4, 2017
I think a story adapted to a movie about one of the most brutal and awesome super heroes of all time couldn't be more boring tha these. "Hulk" couldn't be more dissappointing than this movie, even when it is directed by one of the best directors of all time - Ang Lee. How did this movie failed? The answer is: bad acting, bad plot, bad dialogues, bad rythm, bad editing, bad visual effects and bad action scenes. Only actors like Eric Bana, Nick Nolte and Sam Elliot could avoid this movie from being totally unwatchable. But in the end, it was one of the most bland, boring and long Marvel movies ever made.
August 28, 2017
Some of the action is cool but the acting and characters are boring
August 27, 2017
Despite a solid visual presentation and a series of wacky scene transitions that want to give the movie that comic book feel, the 2003 Hulk movie is pretty boring. There's too much science and not enough of the Hulk. And when he does appear, the CG on his face looks cartoony and 2 action sequences are set at night thus resulting in dim lighting meaning we can't see what's going on and who's fighting who. And the Hulk poodles are more unforgivable than cloud Galactus. And it wastes a perfectly good character from the comics. In this case, Absorbing Man. Nick Nolte only has 5 minutes or less of Absorbing Man and is mostly just a regular human. And even the desert action sequence set during the day never felt truly exhilarating. And the one time we're about to see Bruce Banner use his powers for good the movie ends. So is Hulk a bad movie? Yes. Ambitious but mostly boring. Stick with the Norton/Ruffalo Hulk from the MCU. This Hulk will make you sulk.
August 22, 2017
It's just boring, though I will admit Nick Norte was fun as the father
August 7, 2017
Whilst entertaining to a point, this movie is too long, too self indulgent and the CGI Hulk never looks or feels real enough to come across as anything more than a character you might find in Toy Story.
½ July 30, 2017
There are a lot of ingredients that went into Hulk that should have made for something special: it's extremely well-crafted, it's impressively inventive visually with special effects that still stand up and for the most part it focuses on character rather than spectable, an uncommon trait for superhero movies. Yet for all the technical brilliance it's a hard film to really connect with. (Or perhaps because of it; the constant intrusion of new cuts and visual tricks distract as often as they enhance.) It isn't really clear why this is, on paper the story is a compelling one as it focuses on the protagonists and their relationships with their fathers (the hero and love interest are on equal footing on their journey together, another rarity for the genre). It's no point putting characters first if they aren't interesting, however, and that may be the problem. For one thing they aren't that complex, the hero's repressed trauma that drives a lot of the plot can be seen coming a mile off and the antagonists would have been better served if they were more morally ambiguous. By the climax any subtlety gets thrown out the window, character is cast aside for action, but it's hard to care about it without sufficient emotional weight underpinning it. As such this is a film that's better to look at than to experience and what could have been a great comic-book movie is merely a decent one.
½ July 22, 2017
I really enjoyed this for it not being a rippling hulk action fest in the same way i really enjoyed the superman returns movie for being different to the obvuous path. I like this but most hated it so if you hated superman returns then its not for you.
½ July 20, 2017
Just Awful. Pure shit.
July 18, 2017
A slow Bland 2 star movie with a lot of talking and not enough smashing this movie is awful
July 18, 2017
I think Ang Lee is a talented director but this is easily one of his biggest blunder.
½ July 18, 2017
wow. i watched this in theaters and hated it. i almost didn't watch the norton hulk because of how bad this was, but ramsey convinced me that it has nothing to do with that movie and is being completely redone (i LOVE that movie). after rewatching norton, i was just curious about the first one as i remembered nothing about it since i watched it once in theaters. i now see again. wow. hands down the most boring superhero movie of all time. the music selection was so awful and off. i kept asking myself what am i watching. they tried to make it serious and deep, but none of those parts hit. NONE of them. they would just show him looking at flowers and stuff. there are so many wtf and omg moments in this movie. also, it's ridiculously boring. i had to watch it in parts and fast speed for some of the boring scenes. also, lmao, the villain wasn't introduced until 2 hours into this 2:18 movie. including the credits, that's with ten minutes left in the movie. it's astonishing. the hulk looked like a cartoon. when the bullets bounced off of him, it was like his skin was soft and flexible like a balloon or something, smh. i have no opinion of eric bana, but he SUCKED. he was so lame, a horrible choice to play this role. the little action there was was useless. mostly running, jumping, shooting, and missing. this movie makes me appreciate the norton hulk and MCU in general. thank you guys (2 viewings)
½ June 26, 2017
This Movie was Great! Plot was spot on. CGI was on point. Way better than this modern recycled CGI that Marvel loves to use. This Hulk was actually believable. This is how a superhero Movie should be. Intense not fun with jokes.
June 24, 2017
This was a very stupid movie. I thought the plot got quit stupid at times and I did not like the way the hulk looked in this. Eric Bana did an ok job but not as good as Edward Norton or Mark Ruffalo

4.2/10
May 8, 2017
So they did a remake of this movie. And I'm not a fan of this one
½ May 4, 2017
I liked how they made small eastereggs to the comics. Sure the villain was questionable, but over all it was it was more accurate compared to the other adaptations, besides the villain.
April 28, 2017
It's uhh, there is nothing to talk about it's just a stupid movie
April 10, 2017
If it were done nowadays, it would have received a way better rating. The serious tone was too new for audiences back then.
March 31, 2017
Hulk is directed by Ang Lee and is one of the most original comic adaptations I've seen. The story is nothing really special. Bruce Banner is a scientist whose father had various DNA changing experiments and whatnot. His father experimented mostly on himself and thus Bruce inherited the "monster" genes his father created within himself. Bruce is now experiencing physical changes whenever he gets angry and there's an army hunting him to lock him up and use his genes for their own benefit. There's been many movies with this sort of a story, but what makes Hulk so special is the way it's edited and directed. Ang Lee is a great director and while a superhero movie is not something I expected from him, he did a pretty good job! The direction is great, especially during the action sequences which are fantastic. I really enjoyed the action in Hulk. Yes, it was very CGI-heavy, but the CGI was surprisingly not so much of a distraction. Hulk himself looks amazing! I was very impressed with Hulk's look. The transformation of Bruce into the Hulk is a bit odd, but it looks great. I can't stress it enough. Hell, he looks better than in The Incredible Hulk from 2008! Although, there isn't a lot of Hulk in the movie. Bruce doesn't transform until about 40 minutes in and from then on, he shows up fairly regularly but not for very long. I was a bit disappointed when it came to that. The characters are very well portrayed and I really appreciate the fact that we got a lot of character development and scenes which might come of as pretentious/artsy, but are actually pretty damn well executed. This is the thing that most people did not like at all; that the movie was too much pretentious metaphors that don't belong in a Marvel movie. I honestly didn't mind it. I watch a lot of movies that belong in the "artsy" genre, so I was pleasantly surprised to see a superhero movie like it. Bruce has a very troubled past and he keeps some of the memories repressed, particulary the memory of how his mother actually died. This leads to some very interesting scenes and sort of makes the Hulk seem like a physical manifestation of all the anger/misery/dread/sadness that Bruce keeps locked inside of himself. One of the standout scenes for me is when Bruce is in Hulk form and a plane is taking him to a very high altitude which causes him to lose conscious; while he's passed out, he dreams. In the dream, he's back to being Bruce shaving himself in front of a very steamy mirror. When Bruce starts wiping the steam off of the mirror, on the other side is Hulk, making the same movements that Bruce does. Then, Hulk smashes through the mirror and grabs Bruce. This, I thought, was very interesting and a good portrayal of how Hulk, the repressed emotions, took over Bruce. The acting. The acting's good. I had no problem with any of the actors, although Nick Nolte as Bruce's father can be a bit off. He yells a lot and looks like a hobo; which makes some of his scenes quite comedic, even though they're not supposed to be. Eric Bana as Bruce Banner is great. I quite like his portrayal of the character. I don't have any other problems with the acting, really. The soundtrack is by Danny Elfman, who also scored Sam Raimi's Spider-Man and its first sequel. Spider-Man has one of my most favourite soundtracks of all time, and Danny Elfman continues to prove he's a great musician in Hulk. The opening of Hulk is much like the opening of Raimi's Spider-Man movies and I really enjoyed it. The theme song is fantastic! The ending, I thought, was epic. The fight sequence between Hulk and his father was very impressive and exciting. All in all, Hulk is a good movie. It may be a bit too pretentious and long to some, but I had no problem with the movie being like that so I had a good time. I wouldn't recommend this movie to everyone, but I certainly think it's worth watching.
March 20, 2017
Better and truer to the dark tone of the comics than the stupid MCU Hulk. You can't beat Ang Lee's character driven direction.
March 14, 2017
I loved it as a child, going back to it as an adult it may be as bad as Batman Forever.