I Wake Up Screaming Reviews

• Jul 11, 2016

I've never been much of a Victor Mature fan and I feel my dislike for him may have dragged down my enjoyment level of an otherwise solid film noir. Mature is the manager of a murdered starlet and is being set up to take the fall. Betty Grable plays the sister of the victim and at first suspects Mature, but slowly begins to think he's innocent. The film was directed by H. Bruce Humberstone, who I've never heard of before, but he does a fine job of giving the film a moody, shadow filled look. I'll actually be interested in seeing some of his other work. Elisha Cook, Jr. provides one of his off kilter supporting roles. The film also repeatedly used "Over the Rainbow" as a reoccurring melody in the film's soundtrack, which seemed odd. So overall, this one isn't a classic, but it's well made and I enjoyed it despite my dislike of Victor Mature.

• Jun 24, 2016

One of the most beautifully shot film noirs.

One of the most beautifully shot film noirs.

• May 16, 2016

A funny, intriguing, and compelling ride that ends with somewhat of a whimper.

A funny, intriguing, and compelling ride that ends with somewhat of a whimper.

• Jul 20, 2015

Early film noir that isn't quite as bleak as the cycle would later get but still excels in showing shadows, oddness, and the possibly inescapable noose tightening around the protagonist's neck. Victor Mature is affable but a bit of scumbag as the sports promoter seeking to turn an ordinary but beautiful waitress into a celebrity; when she turns up dead, he's the prime suspect. Betty Grable plays the sister who ends up helping Mature despite herself. Heavy-set Laird Cregar is the creepy police inspector who turns up everywhere Mature goes. It plays like a whodunit at times but rings those noir notes (that would get louder in coming years) that didn't appear in the standard mystery fare of the time (including the Charlie Chan series also directed by Bruce Humberstone).

• Feb 01, 2015

I do not understand the appeal, not one bit. Ridiculous at every level. "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" playing throughout the entire damn movie. Boring as sin. Empty entertainment at best, for its time, and completely useless now.

• Jan 01, 2015

Ed Cornell: "When I get all my evidence together, I'm gonna have you tied up like a pig in a slaughterhouse."

• Nov 30, 2014

A director out of his element made a movie that became a noir touch stone. The tension between romantic comedy (which director Humberstone was experienced with) and noir (which he was assigned to direct here) leave the audience a little off-balance and a bit uncertain what to expect; which mostly works to good effect. Some great noir images were created. Elisha Cooke, Jr., who became a staple of noir cinema appears in an early, and already distinctive, small role. Carole Landis outshines Betty Grable, playing Grable's sister for the second time that year. And Laird Cregar anchors the whole movie with his looming presence.

• Nov 19, 2014

Above average noir nothing more!

Above average noir nothing more!

• Aug 29, 2014

awesome film noir from the first noir cycle also betty grable's only non singing non dancing performance.

• Aug 07, 2014

Laird Cregar is fabulous as the obsessed detective Ed Cornell while Carole Landis relishes her role as the femme fatale in this very clever crime thriller. Unfortunately, the noir atmosphere is not maintained consistently throughout the movie. And although Victor Mature and Betty Grable are adequate in their respective roles, I couldn't help but imagine how much better this would have been with the likes of Dana Andrews or Dick Powell and Ida Lupino or Claire Trevor instead. Having said that, this is still well worth watching.