I Wish - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I Wish Reviews

July 19, 2016
This is a really sweet film... Kids' Innocence <3
½ July 16, 2016
A delicate film that relies on the talent and charisma of its young actors and makes us easily relate to their dreams and wishes with a simple but quite honest story, while Koreeda proves again that he knows quite well how to draw natural performances from children.
½ June 12, 2016
lovely heart warming drama from Japan
June 2, 2016
This is a great heart-warming film about two brothers who were separated when their parent separated. They both long for a reunion and make it happen with a sort of Japanese "Stand by Me" style adventure. Anyone who can't enjoy this is wrong in the head.
June 1, 2016
Charming story of two brothers apart from each other, however it is slow and takes a long time to get to the crux of the plot.
February 23, 2016
A beautiful film, but not among the best I've seen of Kore-Eda. The plot meanders in a lovely way, contrasting well with the sadness of the story. All of Kore-Eda's poetry, lyricism and wistfulness are on display. It's a treat. But the second half of the movie is never fully realised, or made the most of. Still, a delight.
January 8, 2016
This honestly wasn't a thrilling movie for me, though the child actors are all very good and the sights of Japan in the background are beautiful as always.
The story was very slight and its not bad, but it is very long and drags. I may have liked it more if it focused a little more on the adults. Little kid's lives to me are not that interesting to base a whole movie on, but from the ratings, others feel differently.
Probably personally wouldn't have watched if it wasn't set in Japan, so I'll admit it wasn't really one for me from the start.
December 5, 2015
A delightful movie set in small-town Japan, about a group of kids who embark on a little adventure to the spot where two bullet trains pass each other, believing that anything they wish for at that moment will come true. Great tale of sibling and family bonds.
February 3, 2015
October 24, 2014
Deceptively simple, as if Kore-eda managed to "capture" reality and transmit it to us, but in actuality meticulously crafted, right down to the soundtrack which may be the key force in getting us on the movie's wavelength. I don't necessarily mean the music, which is pleasant enough indie-guitar and j-pop jangling, but instead the way that the voices of the kids (there are 7 of them in larger or smaller roles) and adults (mostly oldies in larger roles) tend to overlap and join together and emerge naturally amidst the other diegetic sounds, saying natural-seeming things. Indeed, the movie could be taken as a 1970's Altman-esque affair, rather de-centralized in plotting (although the focus on the two brothers who wish their parents' divorce hadn't separated them provides the main thrust) and featuring a widening array of characters some of whom have only bit parts but still provide loads of color and emotional weight. Of course, having been to Japan may help one to appreciate the film, making it easier to settle into its relaxed grooves, or perhaps having seen any Hollywood product starring kids will allow even the least Nihon-aware viewer to realize that this film is as far away from that cloying, over-acted, sentimental, and artificial claptrap as you can possibly get. Kore-eda's other films (After Life, Nobody Knows, Maborosi, Still Walking) are also worth your time, if this is your jam.
October 7, 2014
Heart warming wonderful kid story. Love it! As children, their performance are excellent!
½ June 15, 2014
good family drama told from the point of view of the kids in the pic
½ February 1, 2014
Quite long but overall a sweet drama with some excellant leads. The last 30 mins is enthralling i had a tear in my eye - im sure a remake is on the way
½ January 13, 2014
There's a mysterious wisdom in this urban folktale, and I surmise that comes from the unsappy writing and direction of Koreeda. Koki Maeda is outstanding and the emotional payoff is absolutely overwhelming.
*4/4*
November 29, 2013
One of the memorable lines of the movie was "Once youâ??re drunk, all beer tastes the same. No matter how much you drink, it all comes out as pee."

I am a fan of Kore-eda and I think he is really doing a great job in making films about families. This movie will bring back the child in you. Clever for Kore-eda to use real-life brothers as main characters - adding a pinch of reality to it.
November 5, 2013
The honesty and humanity of Ozu reverberates through Kore-eda in an original heartfelt domestic drama about two brothers who are separated and forced to live far from each other after their parents get divorced. However, what brings the two together is this strange belief that the new bullet train service will make a wish come true when the first trains pass each other at full speed. A nostalgic and sweet natured portrayal of modern childhood as well as a representation of a modern domestic situation with the warmth of classic filmmaking. Kore-eda's film is tastefully and faithfully observant of its characters and true to its development in creating a touching coming of age drama.
October 27, 2013
Sweet and great performances from the young cast. Capture elements of childhood, friendship and growing up. Editing occasionally a bit jumpy but a hugely enjoyable film.
½ August 8, 2013
How can you not appreciate a movie like this? Performances that tug at your heart strings at every turn as well as the innocence of two real life brothers that can make a grown man tear up. I have to admit that there's something about Japanese movies that have a "robotic" element to it that seems awkward at times. But still this is a great movie that people should at the very least know about. Take some time out of your week to watch this. 7/10
½ August 4, 2013
Not really into films this positive but all the performances, especially from the Maeda brothers, are so charming and natural you can't help being drawn in.
½ July 31, 2013
A great look at life and its problems from the perspective of pre-teens. Groups of friends try to balance their current lives with their wants and desires -- from dreams of stardom to bringing a broken family back together. In the process, they begin to see how the adult world operates and how they can maneuver within that framework.