Idle Hands Reviews

• Jan 04, 2019

I enjoy this movie. Seth Green steals the show with his one liners. Its an alright Stoner Style Comedy. The Gore is ok, but Mild is an understatement. The Soundtrack throughout is great.

• Dec 12, 2018

This film had it's moments of slapstick comedy, raw crude humor which flowed with the story. It was not a great film by any stretch but it was decent with it's story and idea. I think this film set the tone for sensual beauty of Jessica Alba. Devon Sawa was really decent in the context of playing a stoner who had his hand possessed. If you blinked you missed the true American beauty of Kelly Monaco. I fin the film to be a cult classic and worth the Sunday afternoon watch.

• Oct 10, 2018

its gets 1 star for the cat throw

its gets 1 star for the cat throw

• Oct 03, 2018

i didnt like itat all

i didnt like itat all

• Jul 30, 2018

Gory enough, but not funny enough to be a good comedy horror. The cast try their best though

• Jesse O Super Reviewer
    Jun 12, 2018

Ever since Saturday night/early Sunday morning, my life has been terrible. Well, really, not my life. Just the life of a loved one has been irrevocably changed for the worse. My life is terrible because I get to see a loved one in pain. Pain that I wish I could travel back in time and just make it all go away. So, really, I don't know how much of this review I'll be able to get through or if it's gonna be any good. I have no idea why I decided to watch a movie on a early Sunday night that I should have been worried about other, more pertinent matters. And, really, I have no idea why it had to be THIS particular movie and not something else. Something that would, probably, cheer me up a bit more. This is probably not the reason I chose this instead of something else, but I remember seeing trailers of this movie back in 1999. And I vividly remember a scene in the trailer where Jessica Alba's character (Molly), who's tied to the hood of a car, has her angel costume ripped off by Anton and she's just left in her bra and panties. I also remember seeing an ass shot in the trailer. Or maybe I'm mistaking it for another late-90s horror flick. But, anyway, this female exposure blew my mind at 11-years-old. Little did 11-year-old me know that he'd look at this in his 30th year of existence and he wouldn't even look twice. I've seen some shit, man! I suppose no review of this movie is complete (from my point of view) without talking about, probably, the worst decade for the horror genre, the 90s. A decade that, until the arrival of Scream more than halfway through the decade (1996), had no real identity of its own. Most of the 90s, really, was the leftover of the Jason and Freddy Krueger era. Scream changed all that, now it was cool for horror to poke fun at its tropes. I mean, not that some 80s movies didn't play with this, but Scream popularized it in the 90s. It made it ok for horror movies to be self-aware while also not taking themselves too seriously. I think Scream, at its time, was revolutionary and it changed everything. That's why a lot of subsequent horror movies tried to capture that same vibe and failed. It's not that Scream, at least in my opinion, is the best horror franchise ever, but they did employ a style that was very influential for its time. Of course, now, Scream looks a little bit outdated, even if, outside the third one, I'd say it's still an enjoyable franchise. That's neither here nor there. This isn't a movie that tries to capture a Scream vibe, but it definitely had a more comical approach to its story and, really, how could it not? The concept is so ridiculous. Basically, the devil, I think, ends up possessing the laziest hand of the laziest person imaginable. Hence the name of the title, borrowing from that bible passage 'Idle hands are the devil's workshop'. It's a movie using that phrase as its literal concept. And, honestly, it's an interesting concept...for about 20 minutes. Like once you get used to the idea that Anton's hand is possessed by the devil then all it becomes is a series of uninspired attempts at slapstick where Anton has to fight his hand away from its attempts to murder as many people as it possibly can. Anton's hands murdered his parents, these twins that worked a fast food restaurant, and even his own friends, Mick and Pnub. For one reason or another, Mick and Pnub come back to life as is. He shoved a broken bottle into Mick's head and decapitated Pnub with a saw blade. Now, of course, you may be asking yourself why Mick and Pnub came back to life in the first place. Of course, you may also tell yourself that this is a movie where the devil takes possession of the laziest man on earth's hand and uses it to murder people. So, naturally, you're not gonna be looking for logic in a movie with this concept, right? Right?!!? Well, I mean, you're not. But I still would have very much enjoyed to have seen some actual explanation for why Mick and Pnub came back to life. Maybe they felt the movie was too unfunny without them and to that I would say they were wrong. The movie is just as unfunny with them in it as it is without them. Not that this is a bad movie, it's certainly watchable, it's just that it's very much a product of its time. Perhaps it's not as glaring as, say, an 80s movie, which you can just tell from tone, music, clothes, etc. I guess you could say the same about this movie, but the 90s don't have those same identifiable qualities as the 80s. Anyway, this is stoner/slacker comedy and, I don't know, I just wasn't feeling most of it. The best stuff in the entire movie comes when Anton cuts off his hand, puts it in a microwave and cooks it until it's "destroyed". Mick and Pnub let the hand escape when they want to heat up a burrito. The slapstick surrounding Anton trying to control his hands got old pretty quickly and we should have gotten to this point of Anton finally cutting it off much quicker than we did. It's also the fact that Devon Sawa's performance, when he's trying to keep his hand under control, reminds me waaaay too much of Peter Sellers' performance in Dr. Strangelove, since Dr. Strangelove himself could not control his own hand's actions. And, let's be honest, Devon Sawa is no Peter Seller and, quite frankly, I think Devon would be the first to say this. Of course, it's not like the movie's much better after the hand is cut off, but it is still better. I wouldn't give this more than two stars anyway. One of the more inspired bits is when, during the climax, the hand finds its way inside a puppet (from those puppet theater things) and Mick, Anton and Pnub proceed to actually fight with it or, rather, attempt to overpower it as he's attempting to take Molly's soul to the netherworld. Why the hand needs souls to take to the netherworld is, again, beyond me, but let's not ask too many questions here, I guess. Anyway, the whole bit with the puppet itself is actually surprisingly funny. Perhaps it's nothing that would blow anyone else away, but in a movie that definitely needed inspired bits, I'm glad that we actually got one...or two. I don't know what else to say about this movie, really. It's silly, it's absurd and it's over-the-top. It's not the worst movie I've ever seen, not by a country mile, but there's nothing that really stands out about this movie now that I'm a couple of days removed from watching it. It's watchable, for sure, but there's better movies out there worthier of your time. Not gonna complain too much, but this didn't really blow me away, so I can't exactly give it a glowing recommendation.

• Dec 05, 2017

A goofy, crass, ridiculous little movie sure, but it's so much fun. I may be biased though, as I've always loved it, and I was just the right demographic for when this first came out. Love the gore, humor and music.

• Oct 17, 2017

• Oct 15, 2017

Ranks high amongst the guiltiest of pleasures from my younger and more vulnerable years, plus this young Jessica Alba was one of my first cinematic crushes... It was before she got herpes.

• Sep 28, 2017

Honestly 10/10. I first watched this move when I was between the ages of 9-12 and didn't get any of the references but loved the movie. This movie is 10x better now that I get the references.