In a Lonely Place - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

In a Lonely Place Reviews

½ December 5, 2016
91%
Saw this on 5/12/16
It may not be as famous as Bogart's other noir films, but it among the cream of the Hollywood classics. Bogart's performance along with that of Gloria Grahame is laudable. The film's narrative and direction are spot on and it interweaves itself among various genres. This is a classic that is not to be missed and it will be a pleasant surprise for Bogart fans.
jjnxn
½ August 23, 2016
good but with an extremely dark outlook
½ July 5, 2016
The chumminess between the suspect, his girlfriend, the detective on the case and his wife stretches credibility. Without the stars and the great
direction, this would have made a two-bit piece of pulp fiction . The violent reputation of the hero and the fear those around him feel is an unusual premise.
½ June 4, 2016
Oh man this movie is great. A movie about a man with anger issues. You find yourself asking so many questions and feeling a sense of insecurity in your own judgement. Not a movie that makes you feel good about life and people. I think that it really causes you to question your intuition about people. Really suspenseful. Deep message too. Overall, I recommend watching.
June 2, 2016
In a Lonely Place is a magnificent film noir of grey morality, heart-pounding suspense, and superb performances.
½ May 20, 2016
Arguably Bogart's best performance
January 28, 2016
Cruel, callous, sexy and tender in turn, In a Lonely Place is a maze of politics of every variety, where the stakes are uncertain and no one can really know anyone else. It's about scar tissue. Well, it's about a murder, but it's also about scar tissue. The two main characters are defined by their past.

Dixon Steele was an army commanding officer who killed men in a bloody and brutal war, and seems to yearn to get back to that state of mind, despite living a posh life as a writer in LA.

Laurel Grey is a woman who thinks she has escaped from her abusive relationship, but is still defined by it.

When the two get entangled, they begin sweet, but quickly the "scars," still raw and inflamed, rub against each other and the film does a smooth and easy job of showing the painful results.

Grade A+ Noir.
December 10, 2015
With a wonderful screenplay, and a combination of wit and sweet tension, Bogart takes this film places; places we never dreamed of on film
October 15, 2015
This is a great movie.
½ April 5, 2015
Interesting Humphrey Bogart crime-drama.

Novel plot: man (Dixon Steele, played by Humphrey Bogart) with a history of violence is accused of murder, female neighbour (Laurele Gray, played by Gloria Grahame) helps clear his name, they fall in love but she comes to be wary of his violent temper and thinks he may well have committed the murder. Had the makings of a great psychological- and crime-drama.

However, the plot is not perfect. The relationship between Steele and Gray seemed rushed, contrived and implausible. It just seemed very unlikely that she would rush into a relationship with such a man, and maintain it after seeing what he is capable of. Especially as her character was one of cool calculation and rationality.

Good ending, but not as profound as what it could have been. It was the logical ending, and that's about it.

Solid performance by Humphrey Bogart in the lead role. Good to see him play a fallible, vulnerable, far-from-perfect character. Certainly not the good guy or hero in the movie, unlike many of his roles.
December 19, 2014
"I was born when she kissed me. I died when she left me. I lived a few weeks while she loved me." Humphrey Bogart darkest and probably best performance that violent and alcoholic screenwriter. Hollywood melodrama at finest.
November 26, 2014
Another fine acting performance by Bogart but the film didn't really work for me. Fun to see "Violet" from It's a Wonderful Life in another film though.
½ November 23, 2014
A letdown. The beginning was intriguing and had all the signs of another Humphrey Bogart classic, but it turns into a faulty romance-drama. I didn't care for it. (First and only viewing - 11/18/2014)
July 6, 2014
This is not one of Humphrey Bogart's better known films but it has grown considerably in reputation since its initial release and is now considered a classic. A friend recommended it. It's not perfect though it's definitely one of the better Bogat performances I've watched. I don't like the man much, this was cool though. Martha Stewart, as Mildred Atkinson, is a revelation. She's on screen for about ten minutes before she's murdered but she's an attractive ball of energy. The mystery surrounding her murder is supposedly the centre of the film but the plot quickly moves elsewhere, taking shots at Hollywood here, digging deep in the psyche of men's loneliness there. Proper melodrama. I haven't read the book but supposedly Nicholas Ray and his scriptwriters took liberties with the original novel by Dorothy B. Hughes and actually improved on it. I haven't read the novel, I don't know if they improved it, but I know they changed a lot of things, including the end twist. The film was released in 1950, same year as All About Eve and Sunset Boulevard. A bit like releasing an album in 1966. So its nowhere near those two masterpieces but I'm glad I've watched it. My copy includes a 20 minute retrospective documentary presented by Curtis Hanson which is infomative.
½ June 24, 2014
It is much harder to come back than it is to arrive.

Dixon Steele is a violent screenwriter that is easy annoyed and very moody. He becomes a murder suspect, and fortunately, his neighbor comes to the rescue. Dixon and the neighbor begin to fall in love and they stand pat against the law. When the neighbor starts having doubts about Dixon's innocence, the case may take a turn...but so will her relationship with Dixon.

"I'm going to take you home."
"I told you I have a date."
"My home."

Nicholas Ray, director of Rebel Without a Cause, King of Kings, 55 Days at Peking, We Can't Go Home Again, Johnny Guitar, Bigger than Life, and Wind Across the Everglades, delivers In a Lonely Place. The storyline for this picture is pretty interesting and actually reminded me a little of Rear Window (in terms of the crime drama aspects). The acting was excellent and the cast includes Humphrey Bogart, Gloria Grahame, Frank Lovejoy, and Hadda Brooks.

"I was born when she kissed me, I died when she left me, I lived a few weeks while she loved me."

This is a movie I DVR'd off cable when I discovered it starred Humphrey Bogart and I had never seen it! I can tell you this is a very well done picture and Bogart's performance fit the character perfectly. The film is unpredictable and not straightforward and this ended really well. I definitely recommend seeing this picture.

"You're a popcorn salesman."

Grade: A-
June 8, 2014
Stylish and dark. The dark humor eases the tension
June 5, 2014
Whenever there's Bogart, Am sure am in for a good time. But this one in particular was more disturbing than others.

being hung up on Bogie and all it was hard to accept ppl doubting Dix, spc as we see little bits and pieces of his softer side that he lets no one -but the audience- see (Sending flower to the dead girl - mailing the money back to the man he hit - asking his agent if he needs to see another agent after slapping him - the hand gestures that let us know that the words he's saying mean so much to him when he's flirting & when he finally proposes) we get to believe that underneath this apparently violent, hot-tempered man there is a delicate soul, but everyone else is not quite sure, neither his lifelong agent, his war buddy Nicolai nor his love interest / Fiancee .... and even though we don't want to believe it, they had a point he said & did more than a few suspicious things.
-A girl was killed, and because of that, I found what I was looking for. Now I know your name, where you live, and how you look.
-you go when I tell you to go not before
-Grabbing the rock to hit the guy with it
-Hitting junior at Paul's
-No of course, no but, no why, yes or no would do, a simple yes or no will do very well.
Laurel had every right to be scared and if you come to think of it, a man with such temper might actually kill someone sooner or later ... so if this was real life then I guess the ending would feel right ... but this being a movie and BOGIE'S no, he deserves better.

Such a lonely place where NO One really knows you !
thats the saddest part of the story.
May 13, 2014
A surprising film about the damage that inner rage can do to one's own life. A fine, little seen film with strong performances. This movie could be a rich source of material for audition and competition scenes for two actors.