In Search of Beethoven Reviews

• Dec 24, 2019

Beautifully executed and fascinating insights into the composer.

Beautifully executed and fascinating insights into the composer.

• Gadshill
    Dec 22, 2019

Illuminative did not need to be a hardcore musicologist to appreciate Beethoven’s life and achievements.

• May 18, 2013

"In Search of Beethoven" is a comprehensive look at the famed composer that sets the events of his life within the context of his music and not vice versa. Since it focuses on the compositions of Beethoven, little time is spent examining his childhood. Although I wanted more of the younger years, it makes sense within the context of what the movie is trying to accomplish and I appreciate that film wasn't any longer! 2 hours and 18 minutes was the perfect amount of time to get in depth with the life and music of Beethoven, but any more would have begun to feel tiresome. With over 60 live performances, this film brings the music to life as if we were concertgoers in the early 19th century. While it takes time to interview historians about Beethoven's life, it also interviews expert performers like Emanuel Ax to give a perspective on what it is like to tackle a Beethoven piano concerto or violin sonata. While non-musicians might find this documentary to be a bit dry, it is perfect for performers and appreciators of classical music.

• Dec 11, 2012

This film enlightens. The factual recount brings the human genius that lived, struggled, and succeeded in an effort to produce lasting beauty despite suffering. The film does an extraordinary homage to Beethoven, and grants exposure to his oeuvre in absolutely perfect doses. The virtuosos that know his art most intimately give the most unexpected insights into the the two dimensional wild haired bust we meet in third grade classrooms. The film enlightens by revealing a new scientific illustration of the man, as it enlightens the burden of everyman's struggle to make significant contributions despite insurmountable odds.

• Aug 08, 2012

I was somewhat disappointed with the Mozart episode after I watched this one. I enjoy Mozart's music more than Beethoven`s, but this 'In Search Of...' was geared much more towards the classical music fan. The music played here is exhaustive. If I had to guess, I'd say they play over 50 tunes written by Beethoven. If you're looking for more of a biography you probably want to look at a more focused documentary in conjunction with this one. For me, who is interested ten times more in the music, this show was perfect! They use very talented players and list the players on the screen which is nice if you want to explore today's classical music performers. Ludwig had a fairly long life that was presented here as being pretty depressing. Mentions of suicide, illness and of course deafness are peppered throughout the documentary. He only created maybe half as many works as his contemporaries like Mozart or Haydn, but they present a nice case for crowning Herr Beethoven as the king of all Western music (personally, I'd put him at number 3 on that list).

• Aug 07, 2011

Grabsky does manage to convey how shockingly dramatic Beethoven's music seemed to the first people who heard it, and the musicians' sensitivity and articulation--both verbal and musical -- fire this chronicle of one man's extraordinary artistic journey. What made Ludwig one of the greatest musicians of our time? The nearly two and a half hour documentary In Search of Beethoven by Phillip Grabsky, answers that question reasonably well.

• Jun 15, 2011

Phil Grabsky is a British documentary film-maker based in Brighton, East Sussex. This documentary released in 2009. Great music great biography of the worldâ(TM)s greatest musician. The sound quality is really good. All of the selected musical pieces are so fantastic. I am surprised they have not made film "the young Beethovenâ? The film illustrates the life & work of the composer through interviews & live performance. The film premiered at Londonâ(TM)s Barbican concert hall.it has gone on to become one of the top 100 grossing documentaries. The film has brought together the world's leading performers & experts on Beethoven to reveal new insights into this Beethoven the man & his music. The director captured 55 live performances for the film & they are incredible. the film is gripping & one of the finest movies about a musician I have ever seen. In a few places the film gets bogged down but then the music soothes away a lot of complaints & such beautiful music. So sad that Beethoven died so young. he stream I watch here on Nex filix did not contain DVD Extras: Complete Movements - Deleted Scenes - Interview with director Phil Grabsky - In the Edit room. Narrated by Juliet Stevenson & featuring: Ronald Brautigam, Renà (C)e Fleming, Magdalena KoÅ 3/4ená, Lang Lang, Louis Langrà (C)e, Julian Rachlin, Roger Norrington, Imogen Cooper, Å kampa Quartet, Orchestra of the 18th Century, the Salzburg Camerata⦠& many other leading musicians, performers, & Mozart experts. Grabsky states: We know the music; we think we know the man, but Mozart is more than âAmadeus,â? the 1984 Oscar-winning film about the 18th century composer. âMany peopleâ(TM)s understanding of Mozart is based on ÃAmadeus,â(TM)â? says director Phil Grabsky. âSo, for example let me tell you that he was not poisoned by Salieri, who doesnâ(TM)t even get a mention in the film, he doesn't die a pauper, he had a very loving relationship with his wife, which is not the way that it was portrayed in the film.â? Fascinating Highest Recommendation

• Jun 04, 2011

"I have two impressions of Beethoven: a large Brain and an equally large Heart." "His music is so firmly rooted in everything human; with all of its frailties, weaknesses, and shortcomings. He's perceived, often, as a misanthropic character, but his music is also the music of an inveterate optimist, of someone who never gives up in thinking that men can be better." "From the pit of despair, Beethoven emerged more defiant."

• Jun 02, 2011

Synopsis: An in-depth look at Ludwig van Beethoven, which features new insights into the composer's life and music, and excerpts from more than 60 live performances. This documentary analyzes the famous composer from mainly three different perspectives; Historically, using known facts and documents to familiarize the audience with Beethoven and the world in which he lived, Personally, using letters written by beethoven himself to numerous individuals to better understand his desires, dreams, despair and anger, and Musically, analyzing his work in order to better understand his frame of mind at the moment of inspiration and his influence on the music world. I prefer by far the historical analysis method used in this documentary. In search of Beethoven is an incredibly insightful documentary, however, the purpose of this documentary is almost entirely to educate instead of entertain. Knowing close to nothing about music composition I quickly became disinterested in the musical analysis segments, and such segments take up a majority of the feature. Though the film should not be considered for entertainment, it is deeply educational. And though i have no desire to ever watch this film again, I do believe i'll watch it's sister documentary, In Search of Mozart.

• Dec 22, 2010

I was enthralled from the first note to the last coda, a rich tapestry of the man and his music, not to be missed by music lovers everywhere....& happy 240th this year!