Inglourious Basterds - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Inglourious Basterds Reviews

Page 1 of 2098
October 18, 2017
Historically incorrect, but entertaining as hell. Tarantino kicks ass once again.
½ October 15, 2017
Inglorious Basterds is a movie that if you love war movies you should definitely watch. The movie contains great acting by Christolph Waltz who won an outstanding number of awards for his role as Hans Landa! It's expertly written and directed by Quintin Tarantino and has has less violence then most of his movies but still a decent amount. Overall it's a good movie to watch and is an amazing film!
October 9, 2017
Sami Mati A Glorious review
Film: Inglourious Basterds

Inglourious Basterds catches your attention right from the beginning just from its title and unique spelling, adding a Tarantino touch to make it stand out from other war films. However, this isn't your typical war film, rather a movie that has literally every genre, ranging from drama and sadness from one scene to humor and action to the next. Inglourious Basterds is set in World War 2 in Nazi-occupied France. The movie right away shies from history and creates their own fictional storyline. The film also doesn't take the traditional "one-story" plot, rather it contains several different storylines with the characters coming from different backgrounds but possessing similar goals. The main characters are an American soldier, A Nazi, and a Jewish girl. They all cross roads to meet the same desirable goal at the end, though they get to their destination in different ways. Brad Pitt stars as the soldier, a stereotypical loud-mouth yank who does before he thinks, with Christoph Waltz starring as the Nazi detective, who is very calculative and has a very large eye for detail. Perhaps the most important character is Shoshanna, a Jewish girl who lives in France with falsified documents after witnessing the massacre of her family. Her hate for the Nazis grow deeper as the years pass by, but she has no choice but to blend in. Tarantino excels in putting all of these vastly complicated and unique characters together to maintain a plot that in a way fits all of their natures, with no main character getting the spotlight for too long. Since the film is well over two hours long, it is divided into five chapters. Each chapter focuses on a specific event or issue, which helps the viewer not get lost in the plot. I enjoyed that English was only one of the languages spoken in the film, with German, French, and even Italian being included into the mix. This seeks the viewer further into the World War two setting. The film starts off quite slow in the beginning, with more dialogue than action, but the aftermath of the 2nd chapter is what truly builds up the tension and makes this film memorable. I also enjoyed that the film didn't really depict anyone as the "good guy", showing how the protagonists were also like the antagonists in an ironic twist. The antagonist also doesn't share the traditional "bad guy" vibe we see from almost every other movie. Inglourious Basterds is like nothing I've ever seen before. It would seem realistic to every film viewer, including myself, that it's impossible to have a movie that has romance, thrills, dialogue, comedy, tragedy, and action packed into a two hour plot, while also breaking away from a traditional storyline and shed new views on the characters each time you watch it. Inglourious Basterds defies all of these odds to become one of Tarantino's masterpieces only next to Pulp Fiction. The film deserves a "fresh" review with a fair rating of 8.5/10. I would have rated it higher if the film's speed wasn't quite slow in the first half, but it succeeds in sending its message to the viewers. It's a film with stars in its cast, but the actors and actresses that nobody's quite familiar with become just as memorable with their astounding performances.
½ October 4, 2017
Did the writers get hit in the head with a bat? So many things wrong with this movie. Cliché and unoriginal BS stereotype that all "Nadzees" are automatically evil non-humans who deserve whatever comes to them, and that all Jews are automatically superior saints who can do no wrong. This movie is nothing more than propaganda to justify the inhumane treatment of, and genocide of, the Germans - by dehumanizing them like any effective hate propaganda does to those it deems the "enemy". As someone who detests senseless violence, gore and death, I found this movie not even worth the lowest one gold star rating. If brutality against Germans can be laughed at, it's hypocritical to be offended at laughing at violence waged upon other groups.

It's not all fiction. This movie does have an element of truth to it - the brutality and inhumane treatment of "evil Nadzees" by Jewish supremacist fanatics, and others.* For context: Since the 1800s, within Jewish supremacist circles, the idea of eradicating all Germans (and
whites along with Western civilization and Christianity in general) can be found in various quotes from the early Zionist and Communist movement leaders (Moses Hess, Karl Marx, Frederick Engels, etc). As a result, this sentiment grew so much that the Daily Express from March 24, 1934 featured the headline, "Judea declares War on Germany". This hatred of Germans and whites in general did not begin due to WW2, but still today we are told to view these groups in a negative light, through movies like this.

*In particular, part of this movie may be based off of the actions of a Jewish supremacist group called Nakam. After WW2, not being satisfied with the already-high number of deaths from the War, Abba Kovner wanted more Germans dead. To accomplish this, his Nakam terrorist group went and abducted random Europeans and drove them out to a forest, where they then shot the innocent Europeans. Another genocidal act was when Abba Kovner's Nakam domestic terrorist group members broke into the concentration camp where German POWs were being held, and coated the bread with arsenic to kill the German POW inmates (called "Plan B"). This was after the failed attempt to poison the water supply to kill German civilians in cities such as Hamburg and Munich ("Plan A"). Also, Jewish partisan gangs roamed around post-WW2 occupied Germany, seizing and occupying the homes of German refugees.

In addition to all this, Churchill ordered the expulsion of 15 million Germans from their land, causing 3 million of them to die. From 1939-1945, nearly 7 million German POWs were sent to Soviet gulags, most of them to never return, and anyone fighting the Soviets (including Russians) were deemed "Nazi collaborators" were also sentenced to mutilation, rape, torture and death. Also, Eisenhower's camps held 1.7 million Germans who were not fed, not given shelter, were tortured, maimed and murdered at will by the Allied guards. If that wasn't enough to satisfy the sadistic psychopaths who hold a genocidal anti-German rage, after WW2, the Soviets invaded Germany and occupied the eastern half of the country. The brutal rape and murder of 2 million German women and girls took place by mainly Jewish and oriental Soviet units, causing many other German women and their children to commit suicide to avoid that same fate. Why weren't all these events accounted for in the movie? Why was the German male made out to be some evil nonhuman worthy of the most horrific torture, when the average German had no part in war crimes?

At the end of WW2, Eisenhower said of the Germans, "It's a pity we could not we have killed more". The war crimes committed by Jewish supremacists, the Allied leaders and the Soviets should have been acknowledged in this movie, to make it more accurate with reality, and reduce the glaringly-obvious bias of the movie. The Dresden terror bombings were another example of war crimes perpetrated against the German civilians, which scorched a non-military/civilian city, killing countless men, women and children. Incorporating these facts into the movie would impart a more rounded perspective to the viewers, even in a fictionalized genre. Or is the goal to leave the viewers with an ignorant and highly-skewed perspective of history, along with a supposedly- justified hatred for Germans?

But some more things don't add up. Knowing what we know now: Why was there no mention of the horrors that the Communists/Bolsheviks committed against millions of innocent civilians, under the direction of certain leaders who just happened to be Jewish, in East European countries? For example, all the death and suffering caused by Communists in places like the (then) USSR, Ukraine (esp. Holodomor which killed 8 million people), Katyn Forest Massacre, etc.? Why did Quentin Tarantino not make a similar-themed revenge movie, with the antagonists as Communists? Tarantino seems to have a penchant for revenge fantasies, but this one was just tasteless. I doubt anyone who went through the horrors of WW2 would ever want their horrors twisted into a "fun" or "funny" perspective.

Disgusting trash. Belongs in the ash heap of history.
October 3, 2017
Amazing movie, you wanna know something Utivich this my favorite at the moment
September 27, 2017
The movie was a little long winded and had a lot of subtitles. It was well played but who can keep up with all that reading. The ending could have been better.
½ September 27, 2017
I liked it more the second (or was it third?) time that I saw it!!
½ September 18, 2017
Thanks to a magnetic screenplay, fantastic performances and brillant over the top Tarantino violence, Inglorious Basterds is another big winner for Tarantino.
September 15, 2017
One of my favorite films! I've watched it no less than 100 times.
September 14, 2017
A little long in the run time I felt, but overall a very entertaining film with great performances from Brad Pitt and Christopher Waltz. The second half of the film is better as a plot to assassinate the top Nazi's in one hit slowly unravels with a few twists and turns.
September 14, 2017
Let's start with strongest things of the fllm, actors' work is magnificent, setting is good cause of imaginable stuff and personal characteristic at that time. The dailogs are exciting as well as actors' charisma. Throughout the film, action was immersive and in most of cases not predictable.
September 11, 2017
Dare I say the greatest Tarantino film? Yes, I will. Powered by one of the greatest acting performances I have seen in a while by Christoph Waltz, this is by far the most entertaining film by Tarantino, and that's saying something because I have enjoyed all his films.
September 5, 2017
A Tarantino movie that I actually liked - what is this world coming to...
½ September 5, 2017
Couldn't even make it to the one hour mark. A scene would go on for twenty minutes (or so it felt to me) and nothing happened! All the talk was bland, meaningless chit-chat.
August 27, 2017
This one has grown on me immensely. I found this movie sooo boring on first watch, but every time since, it's gotten more and more amazing. This might become my second favorite after a few more viewings.

UPDATE: It has
August 25, 2017
Christoph Waltz is PHENOMENAL. Brad Pitt is a surprisingly good fit for the comic relief. Tarantino, once again, shines as a storyteller in a class of his own.
August 23, 2017
Tarantino fills his movies with exentric characters, and has the luck to have big time celebrities portray them, which are why his films are so good. His movies never fail, Inglorious Basterds is a very good war movie with excellent writting and an interesting story and a morbid, funny sense of humor. And it isn't as violent as other Tarantino movies. And I really loved Brad Pitt's performance, as well as seeing director Eli Roth. Very good movie and recommended !!
½ August 22, 2017
So how good is Inglorious Basterds?
That depends on what you like in a movie.
This is one of the best movie theater experiences I've had.
It is Quentin Tarantino in top form.
Unapologetically.
I found myself thinking repeatedly during the movie: Oh god, this kicks ass.
It was long. I loved that. Gimme what I want and lots of it.
It was funny.
It was shocking.
It was on the edge of my seat suspenseful.
It was a lot of things.
Tarantino is able to pack incredible suspense, almost tear jerking sadness, laugh out loud funny, and explosive action all into a single scene.
The applause after the movie was the most appropriate response possible, followed by "that kicked ass!"
I neglected the great performances by Melanie Laurent and Diane Kruger in my initial review. It was late. I had just seen it. There was a lot to say and also I felt speechless. They are amazing. Especially Laurent as Shoshana. She does more with her performance than I would have hoped for.
Brad Pitt and Christoph Waltz are the larger than life stunners. Waltz is worthy of all kinds of praise and awards for his portrayal of "the Jew Hunter." He creates a character so horribly good its amazing.
Brad Pitt knocks it out of the park as the Aldo Raine.
There are scenes of such skill, love, and sheer glee that I cant imagine another movie topping this one for my favorite of the year.
This is a big fat artistic triumph.
½ August 22, 2017
Typical Tarantino (bloody, witty long dialogues, funny, ruthless, hyperbolic). It's so typical it lacks imagination and density. It's all just a big joke. Good entertainment, but not a must-see.
August 18, 2017
Rewriting history and deliberately misspelling its title in the best possible way, Inglourious Basterds is one of the best WWII films ever made. Brad Pitt and Christoph Waltz both give Oscar-worthy performances, especially with Waltz speaking FOUR languages throughout; English, German, French, and Italian. Pitt, on the other hand, portrays a perfect blend of Semi-Dumb Southerner stereotype, hilariously awkward, and quietly menacing. The opening scene is one of the best opening scenes of all time, and the standoff in the basement bar is pure cinematic gold. A couple flaws aside, this is a wonderful movie that is definitely not for kids.
Page 1 of 2098