Inglourious Basterds - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Inglourious Basterds Reviews

May 21, 2018
Inglourious Basterds is a yet another fun Quentin Tarantino movie, so you already know what to expect of it. For me the problem with it, as with most of Tarantino's movies, is that it's a bit too long. When Christopher Waltz or Brad Pitt are on screen they steal the show.
½ May 17, 2018
Bizarre but high octane performances make it unforgeable.
½ May 5, 2018
One of Tarantino's most brilliantly built-up films, "Inglourious Basterds" is both supremely entertaining and remarkably well-acted. While the first act of the film may require some level of patience and concentration, the bloodbath that ensues during the second half of the movie provides some of Tarantino's most satisfying cinematic moments.
April 30, 2018
***here there be spoilers***

It starts out somewhat promising, but goes off the rails faster than the Wilhelm Conrad Röntgen with a cracked wheel roaring through Eschede.

The accents were crappy and uneven.

Pitt's character has no backstory whatsoever; he's just been tasked to kill Germans (sorry, "nazis" - because everyone in a grey uniform was a 'nazi" apparently, nevermind the difference between the Heer and the SS) and scalp them, because he's part Apache.

Most of the members of his band are Jewish Americans, despite looking like the sort usually cast as Italian-Americans from the Bronx in other films.

I say most, because one member is German. He apparently killed several German officers while enlisted in their own army and somehow got away with more than one. Yet when caught, was 'sent back to be made an example of'... because shooting him wouldn't have made an example, right? Three hots and a cot in a cell is FAR more effective as a deterrent in wartime. You see where this is going. The Basterds break him out of his cell (forget it was implied that he was sent back to Berlin, or pretend that Berlin is a weakly guarded suburb of Paris, for this to work) and make him one of their own.

They're joined by a Brit who loves German cinema down to the most minute detail, speaks German fluently, albeit with a trace of an accent, yet doesn't know how many fingers to hold up when ordering a drink and pretending to be German. This raises the suspicion of a Gestapo officer who, in 1944, was still wearing the black uniform the Gestapo abolished in 1939.

But that's okay, because the 70's style soundtrack never lets you feel like you're in 1944 anyway.

The usual Tarantinoesque dialogue and foot-fetish shots are present, so fans of his work will have no doubt it's his film. In one scene when an actress was talking to an SS officer, the pacing and inflection of her dialogue was beat-for-beat identical to Uma Thurman in Pulp Fiction, and the lingering shots of her bare feet were like Uma Thurman in Kill Bill. Or Bridget Fonda in Jackie Brown. Or almost any of the girls in Deathproof. At least Bridget Fonda's feet were pretty.

I won't spoil the ending for you, but the way two plots converge means that the Basterds had no reason to exist in the story at all. Had they not been there, the ending would have been the same - making the story as pointless as going to see this movie to be entertained.
½ April 13, 2018
if 'inglorious basterds' was not so ingrained in its own self-importance, it actually might have been an entertaining story. a mildly interesting plot is destroyed by tarantino bringing out his worst: needlessly bloody violence justified simply by the fact nazis are the 'villains', retro music, poor pacing and a lack of focus. it's has tarantino written all over it, but that's about it.
April 10, 2018
set durig ww2. a first special service force lead by lieutenant aldo raine spread fear through the german army by scalping their victims. an brilliant story from beginning to end, as the plot unravels different characters' paths cross leading up to a dramatic finalé.
March 27, 2018
Entertaining from start to finish. Great twisted plot.
March 15, 2018
Another excellent form from Mr Tarantino. As usual for all his films, it is the dialog bit that is the most interesting part of the film. Also this film help launch Christoph Waltz career. The Jewish bear and Jew girl part is a bit clique but excellent acting from Brad Pitt and Dianne Kruger.
March 13, 2018
A visceral punch of interest with Pop.
March 8, 2018
an outstandingly clever and subtly humorous film. like much of Tarantino's work, the plot is outright ridiculous, yet still is perfectly created. this film is emotionally gut-wrenching as well as being incredibly entertaining.
½ February 25, 2018
Tarantino always comes up with a story that fascinates me. I give him that. He is a unique creator and has his own voice. He has established his own filming style as well. I am now at a point where I can tell his creations apart. But I have a major issue with him and I have this issue with this story as well. It is pure entertainment but I have yet to be captivated by his creations. "Inglorious Basterds" is such an entertaining movie, taking the main subject into consideration that says a lot, but still it has so much value film wise. As a story though it never touched me at a much more profound level, and unfortunatley it will not resonate with me. For me Tarantino is a director of entertainment but not profound cinema.
February 19, 2018
Definitely tense nearly throughout the entire film, I can see why this was such a huge hit. A few aspects about the ending though, concerning one of the best characters in the movie, didn't sit all that well with me despite all the great moments that came before it, even if I knew it was going to happen another way. None of the actors in this movie disappoint, however, even if the script was imperfect. 3.9/5
February 15, 2018
What I can say? All you fascists bound to lose... Woody Guthrie would have appreciated this movie
February 14, 2018
Thoroughly entertaining. Funny, Intellectual, Action, Suspense and some excessive violence, but it was WWII and NAZI's...
February 11, 2018
Really fun re-imagined war movie, one of the few Tarantino movies I care for. Waltz is really mesmerizing in his role. Another solid Tarantino movie is Pulp Fiction
February 1, 2018
Inglorious Basterds is a changed timeline story of the attempt to take out and destroy the Nazis in World War II and therefore alter history. Written and directed by Quentin Tarantino, this film has no shortage of humor, effective writing, and in true fashion, oh so many deaths. Personally, I really enjoyed the film. Overall, I felt that it was well-written, well-shot, well-acted, well-everything. One of my favorite scenes is Brad Pitt's character's attempt to successfully convey an Italian man, terribly butchering the language and the accent in the process. This film is easily one of the most well done films I have seen in a long time. The editing in the film was definitely a highlight. I particularly enjoyed the initial scene of the film, where Christoph Waltz's character is in search of individuals that may be hiding Jews. The scene itself is paced so slowly, truly building the tension, allowing us as an audience to wait with baited breath to see what is going to happen. There is then a lovely reveal where we see individuals hiding beneath the floor boards, their eyes attentively peaking between each board. This reveal serves as a way to ramp up the tension of the scene, as we wait to see if Waltz's character figures it out and discovers those hidden in the floor beneath him. Scenes such as this almost made me pay greater attention to the film, as I found this cat and mouse build to be incredibly fascinating. I loved that each shot would stay and linger on the characters as they would take in information, calculate their responses, and react. It absolutely made the film so much more enjoyable as a viewer!
January 31, 2018
****
Well, that was certainly an experience.

Quentin Tarantino is and has been for many years my favourite director. With the exception of 'Kill Bill', I don't think the guy has made a movie below the standard of "really good", and the boldly titled 'Inglourious Basterds' is no exception. It's got everything you would expect: brutal violence, amazing dialogue, excellent performances, gorgeous cinematography, an infectious soundtrack and that unique Tarantino flare that I can honestly say is totally unique to his movies. There's something about the way he stages a scene, uses character traits and slowly reveals information that is so tense and riveting; and this is particularly seen in the opening of the movie - one of the best in recent memory. It's not perfect, though. Some scenes in the first half drag a little and the running time could definitely have been trimmed down, but the finale makes it all worthwhile, with a highly satisfying ending. It's not his best movie or anything, and it isn't going to have the replay value of something like 'Pulp Fiction', but one thing's for sure - it's damn entertaining.
January 29, 2018
No, dear Quentin, not your masterpiece. But it's all your fault! You set the standard very high for yourself, didn't you? So thank you again for this great work, long like many of them, but never boring, like many of them.
½ January 25, 2018
One thing you know for certain when you start a Quentin Tarantino film is that you are in for something original and creative. While I personally don't enjoy this movie as some of the other movies he has made, I still liked it overall. I know this movie is loved by many but I found myself less interested in some of its middle chapters. I think it starts and finishes strong and the story definitely comes together in a fascinating way. I would say the absolute best part of this movie is Christoph Waltz's performance as Hans Landa. Every second he is on screen is engaging and terrifying. His performance transcends this movie from being just okay to good. If you're a fan of Tarantino, this movie is definitely worth checking out, but personally, I found it a tad bit overhyped.
January 23, 2018
a wonderful display of violence and hatred met with better violence and hatred