Intermission - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Intermission Reviews

November 16, 2016
There is a subplot for every of the several characters in this minor masterpiece. And every one of the characters' stories eventually is linked to the others'. It's only been three years since I saw first saw "Intermission," but the goings-on are so convoluted that it was like watching it for the first time. I remembered little from my first viewing, except that I liked it a lot and laughed a lot. It will probably be less than three years before I give this gem another go. If you are partial to dark comedies with a heart of gold, your time will be well-spent on "Intermission."
½ November 15, 2016
Intermingle storylines that have something to do with one another.
October 23, 2015
The cast was good, but the story was very strange.
September 15, 2015
One of my favorite independent films. Almost as good as Trainspotting.
June 29, 2015
An intersecting pieces movie that has just enough quirky thrills to sustain interest.
July 5, 2014
[Interested: cannot find.]
April 27, 2014
Fantastic multi-layered Irish story. Viciously hilarious. One of the most under-rated film of the 2000's. I would recommend this film to EVERYONE!
½ April 18, 2014
One of those many stories with a united thread films that are so popular right now, done by the Irish this time. Could they make an Irish movie without Colm Meaney? Who would want to? An interesting film.
January 10, 2014
One of the best Irish movies ever made! Hilarious!
½ November 25, 2013
A motley crew of losers, wasters and psychopaths have-it-out in the suburbs of Dublin. A terrific assembled cast and a clever engaging story--Refreshing escape from the mainstream!!
November 14, 2013
re rating 3.5 to 4 stars. its one of the better irish movies out there.
November 12, 2013
An entertaining, fast paced, well-acted absurd string of events without one clear topic.
½ November 2, 2013
With UK TV's structure & style, kind of wickedly amusing.
½ September 15, 2013
Review:
I loved the beginning of this movie. Colin Farrell's character was excellent in this film but its a shame that he isn't in it more. There's many different stories to follow which all come together during the end. The director done well to mix up the comedy with a romance undertone, but it all looked like it was who on the cheap. Whilst watching the movie, I was wondering were the hell the director was going to go with the plot, but when it all comes together it turns out to be quite funny. All of the actors out in good performances, but its Farrell's character that stands out from the rest. In all, its a decent watch with many twists and turns. Watchable!

Round-Up:
Judging by the budget, I thought that the director done well with putting this project together. You don't actually realise how much ground it covers until the end of the movie when you piece it all together. I didn't really know what to expect before I watched the movie, which was why I enjoyed it more. You will definitely find something in this movie that will make you laugh.

Budget: $5million
Worldwide Gross: $4.8million

I recommend this movie to people who are into there Irish comedies with a bit of something for everyone. 5/10
September 8, 2013
A darkly funny Irish ensemble piece. The intertwining stories are sometimes absurd but not particularly hard to follow, and the humor is great if you are not offended easily - the opening scene sets the tone. Excellent cast delivers superb performances, and the characters are likable enough to engage the viewer.
½ May 4, 2013
Some quite funny, laugh out loud moments!
April 14, 2013
An adrenaline filled Irish working class crime comedy drama about a series of coincidence that bring together the lives of of a small group of people living in Dublin. The film brings together laugh out loud comedy and ordinary everyday tragedy with violence and crude 'in your face' imagery in a style that is quite a trend setter for a new and an emerging Irish cinema.
February 28, 2013
I see this one rated high but it seemed a lot of irrelevant skits pushed together to make a story. I don't know what everyone sees in it.
February 10, 2013
Why did I waste my time?
½ February 7, 2013
Directed by John Crowley (Boy A (2007) and Is Anybody There? (2009)), and written by Mark O'Rowe (Perrier's Bounty (2009) and produced by Neil Jordan, this is a violent and rough black comedy showing a less than flattering side to Dublin, but it has a good cast to it's name as well, and for a time, it became the most successful Irish independent film, and it manages to be a likeable and compelling film about horrible people. A multi-stranded film set in Dublin, petty criminal Lehiff (Colin Farrell) is always getting into trouble with the law, and his nemesis is Garda Detective Jerry Lynch (Colm Meaney), who has made it his personal mission to fighting the criminals, and making Dublin safe. He's even got aspiring filmmaker Ben Campion (Tomás Ó Súilleabháin) to film him in action, but Ben focuses on Sally (Shirley Henderson), who helped the passengers of a double decker bus after it turned on it's side. Sally's sister Deirdre (Kelly Macdonald) has just split from John (Cillian Murphy), who is lost without Deirdre, and goes to great lengths to get her back. There's a lot going on in this film and it requires attention to keep up with it, but it does show that good cinema can come out of Ireland. It's got a good cast, with some good observations about life in the rougher parts of Dublin, and it's colourful characters.