Into the White - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Into the White Reviews

November 10, 2016
Directed: Petter Naess.
True story of two wartime foes - the crew of a British fighter and a German Bomber who shot each other down and landed up in the arctic wildernesses of Norway. You could not make it up - sometimes true life is more interesting.
Professonal film critics moan about the 'ponderous nature of the film' - well tough doo doo, real life is not a film for critics, who are paid money to write down their personal opinion in a literary idiom preferably with apposite comparisons and erudite filmology.
Both groups survive through the snow storms to end up in a single hunters' cabin, they can't get away from each other, so the ones with the pistols (Germans) declare that the British pair are now prisoners of war. But their isolation just highlights how ridiculous it is to impose the fictional idea of nationhood when only five of them exist in that closed world.
The isolation offers the film a chance to ask some basic questions "Why do you want to invade countries?" the Brit asks, German reply "You have invaded half the world, with the British Empire!" Fair point.
Both sides though are decent men - the only Nazi amongst them is the one with gangrene in his arm.
Eventually though, reality strikes in the form of Norwegian soldiers.
If you look at the credits though, it gives you the history of what happened to them afterwards and state that the British and German men who survived the subsequent war (most died), got in touch in 1977 and met each other once more as friends
½ September 30, 2016
I thought this was actually an intriguing movie. I thought it was tense and compelling.
½ August 21, 2016
160821: I would so like to give this film four stars but will not. It's a good story presented slowly but effectively. It's tragic in some ways and leaves the viewer thinking; like so many other films about the human spirit. We have a poor track record and stories like these force us to confront our flaws. Reflections on a sad time but hope for the future? Well worth watching.
August 21, 2016
Surprised me with a great payoff in the ending. But it was a bit of a slow build to get to that ending. I just wish their had been a bit more depth in the characters along the way.
August 17, 2016
I wanted to like this, but I had to pass after a mind-numbing 15 minutes.
January 31, 2016
Nice drama with enough tension to keep one guessing.
October 6, 2015
I'm surprised this movie came out in 2013 because its just like a movie from the 50s or sixties. it should totally be a classic but unfortunately it will probably get drowned out by all the other disposable movies we watch. its got one of those memorable stories that should make it a staple in the world of movies. its definitely anti war where Nazis and british soldiers are both shot down over a snowy mountain and both happen to seek refuge in the same cabin. at first they maintain their nationalism but over time they get to know eachother and humanity triumphs over patriotic idiocy. you should see into the white before you die.
August 4, 2015
One of the best movies I've seen in a while, unexplainably brilliant.
June 22, 2015
Very good human interest story. OK so the acting may not be academy award class, but that actually adds to the human interest aspect. A sad and at the same time heartwarming story.
June 10, 2015
An interesting character story, a good story for a play, but weak for a movie. Rupert Grint acts, but can't sing.
May 20, 2015
It's a good rendition of a tale we've all heard before. The acting is very good from all parties, which compensates somewhat for the limited movement (they stay in a single hut for most of the film) and some fairly generic attempts of the script to bash us over the head with the point.
May 5, 2015
A German fighter plane and an English plane shoot each other down over Norway. The surviving crew members end up in the same cabin, stranded in a Norwegian blizzard. The day's blend into each other as they try to survive. Based on a true incident, this was an ante resting film, full of glorious scenery.
April 19, 2015
Into The White isn't very insightful or exciting. It's just okay. The highlight of the film for me was the survivalism aspect. When the men work together and show a little trust their situation improves, when they don't work together things start falling apart. It stresses the importance of teamwork more than anything else.

We don't learn very much about the characters. It's just a lot of shallow conflict. The men exchange power a few times, then they form a sort of bond. I did like the quiet guy who had dreams of being an artist. I found him a sympathetic and likable character. He's also the most sane of the bunch.

The movie could be seen as a microcosm of the mentality of warring nations. If you ever wondered what would happen if world leaders during WWII were stuck in a room and had to fight out their differences, you might find this movie interesting.
March 28, 2015
an interesting and exciting movie. Predictable.
½ January 9, 2015
Strong German casting, not so much on the british side. shame really as it could have been better sans the cocky.
December 15, 2014
An interesting tale of British and German soldiers shot down in the frozen north and forced to work together.
September 19, 2014
On aime ca des "histoires vraies" comme ca !
August 25, 2014
Low-budget Netflix finds are the best and while 'Into the White' does not quite breathe top-tier excellence, there is something really good to salvage. This is the true story of German and British aircrews who shoot each other down in their fight for Norway during World War II. Against all odds and despite being adversaries in the war, the troops have to work together to survive the treacherous Norwegian weather. While 'Into the White' does seem to become slow at parts, it is ultimately rewarding to see the perceived barrier of difference come down as the soldiers continue to work together, find that they have a lot in common, and even become friends. The performances are stellar too, especially Florian Lukas as Lt. Horst Schopis, leader of the Germans; Stig Henrik Hoff as Sgt. Wolfgang Strunk, an initially quiet and serious German solider; and Rupert Grint as Private Robert Smith (based off the real-life Lt. R.S. Bostock). It's rewarding because you see that even contrasting personalities can accomplish many things and become well-acquainted. Even more compelling is that this is a true story. The end will have your mouth dropping open because of the unbelievable irony and deja vu.
½ August 24, 2014
Nice movie and good story based on real life events during WW11
August 23, 2014
It's admittedly quite cliche, and is poorly paced, but Into the White is a heartwarming, and surprising well acted, story about the beauty of humanity in its darkest moments.