Ip Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ip Man Reviews

½ February 14, 2017
9/10 - A great biography, great action and depicted a great character and moral standard of Ip Man. It's been a while since I've enjoyed a movie this much. There are probably some areas that I have overlooked but it's Bruce Lee's teacher man!
½ February 7, 2017
The action is jaw dropping. The film is beautiful. The protagonist is compelling. But this movie kinda reminded me of Rocky IV...except this time the Russians were the Japanese. So it was really exceptional Chinese propaganda, but it was still kinda Chinese propaganda. That said, if someone told me they were interested in a martial arts film, I would not hesitate to recommend.
January 22, 2017
Excellent directing and cinematography in this character-driven mostly family friendly martial arts flick
December 27, 2016
Mind-blowing kung-fu action against a compelling true-life backdrop. Donnie Yen is the absolute fricken shiz.
½ December 22, 2016
Davo quasi per scontato la presenza di coreografie e combattimenti mozzafiato, ma questo primo capitolo della saga mi ha stupito principalmente per la sua forte caratterizzazione dei personaggi e per una trama che riesce a trasmettere emozioni lungo tutto il film. Le scene d'azione restano comunque la parte migliore e pił divertente, spettacolari come sempre grazie ad un Donnie Yen in gran forma.
December 16, 2016
Loved when he fought 10 people and beat the crap out of them
December 14, 2016
absolutely amazing autobiographical story of one of the greatest teachers in history
½ December 7, 2016
Great martial arts film.
½ November 21, 2016
Donnie Yen is a martial arts master. Based on the real life of Ip Man, the story shows his fall and struggle to maintain order and who he is. There are incredible fights and a touching story.
November 19, 2016
Why did I not watch this all this time?
October 12, 2016
A solid Kung Fu movie with impressive stunts and cinematography that tells an important story.
October 1, 2016
Its boosted by superb fight choreography but it's to formulated to be anything more than slightly above average.
Grade: C+
½ September 22, 2016
Modern Kung Fu at its finest
½ September 11, 2016
Best series from ip man !!
September 10, 2016
If not for fantastic fight choreography, "Ip Man" would fail to rise above the rest of the mediocre, poorly-written martial arts films.
August 19, 2016
Has some of the greatest martial arts fight scenes ever, only beaten by The Raid films.
½ August 10, 2016
Good period Kung Fu flick about Bruce Lee's instructor.
August 7, 2016
The beginning seems to have nothing to do with the plot but is made to introduce the different Masters of Martial Arts and show their fighting styles. Other than that Ip Man is a great movie showing actual Martial Arts and doing to much of an Rip Off what people imagine when hearing Martial Arts.
So, if you like to see well choreographed fight scenes you have to watch the movie. Just don't expect it to be historical accurate at all times.
July 24, 2016
150327: Think I set myself up for failure in watching this film. Watched the prequel The Legend is Born: Ip Man (2010) a few days ago and then read all about how great this film was. Reading high reviews always results in films failing to live up to my expectations, whatever they are. This film is ok. Good story with fun action. Makes me wonder how much historical truth, if any, lies within.