Ip Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ip Man Reviews

August 19, 2016
Has some of the greatest martial arts fight scenes ever, only beaten by The Raid films.
½ August 10, 2016
Good period Kung Fu flick about Bruce Lee's instructor.
August 7, 2016
The beginning seems to have nothing to do with the plot but is made to introduce the different Masters of Martial Arts and show their fighting styles. Other than that Ip Man is a great movie showing actual Martial Arts and doing to much of an Rip Off what people imagine when hearing Martial Arts.
So, if you like to see well choreographed fight scenes you have to watch the movie. Just don't expect it to be historical accurate at all times.
July 24, 2016
150327: Think I set myself up for failure in watching this film. Watched the prequel The Legend is Born: Ip Man (2010) a few days ago and then read all about how great this film was. Reading high reviews always results in films failing to live up to my expectations, whatever they are. This film is ok. Good story with fun action. Makes me wonder how much historical truth, if any, lies within.
½ July 20, 2016
Ip Man is the greatest martial arts film I have ever seen. Actually, it's less of a martial arts film than an embellished docu-drama. Regardless, it has creates a hero of a deserving, positive role model moulded from a humble and virtuous Chinese master.

Donnie Yen is magnificent in the title role. This is a true children's (and adult) role model, unlike Superman or Batman. I am definitely watching the 2 sequels!

As a sidenote, the Chinese propaganda at the end is a laugh, where it states that after 8 years of occupation, the Chinese drove the Japanese out in 1945, when they unconditionally surrendered. As if Big Man and Little Boy had nothing to do with Japan's unconditional surrender in 1945.
½ June 18, 2016
Fantastic Asian film. Fight scenes are choreographed very well. The filmmakers and everyone involved did the grandmaster proud. The best martial arts film I've seen in a while.

It's a modern martial arts classic and is a mandatory must see for all fans of the genre.
June 6, 2016
First time watching a Kung fu movie and was quite impressed. It was a very good movie it was a love story and Wing Chung in the same film.
½ May 24, 2016
Simple, yet effective plot and storytelling to go along with exquisite direction and modern-day martial arts choreography makes Ip Man a brilliant one-two punch of a film. Donnie Yen's smooth and powerful display of the famed grandmaster is a plausible performance that highlights him as today's action star. 4.5/5
½ May 7, 2016
The fight scenes were well choreographed.
½ April 24, 2016
Very enjoyable Martial Arts film with a great central performance by Donnie Yen both physically and emotionally. The fight scenes in this are very entertaining and a couple of them are extremely intense.
April 23, 2016
Great story balanced with tried-and-true martial arts. Fighting! However, The best outcome from all this is DY landing in Rogue One.
April 16, 2016
Took me awhile to finally get to this, but I'm glad I did! Donnie Yen stars as Ip Man. A renowned martial artist that never trains anyone. After a turn of events the Japanese take over his city forcing Ip Man to change his ways and train others in order to protect themselves. Led by a General that enjoys martial arts Ip Man see's this as an opportunity to give hope to the Chinese people when he challenges the General to a tournament style match. The movie's plot is ok, but its really the martial arts and fight scenes that steal the show here. It's just some fantastic stuff and you really have to watch it to get a feel for what I'm talking about. Overall, great movie with some heart any kung fu fans should definitely give this one a look!
April 9, 2016
Absolutly Love This Film!
½ April 8, 2016
If you've decided to watch this film, it's because you're a fan of martial arts. In that regard, you definitely won't be disappointed. Donnie Yen as Ip Man is extremely impressive, and his Wing Chun is effortless and graceful. The fight choreography is also on point. I didn't even mind that Ip Man is virtually invincible. While the story has heart, however, it is a little too cliched to make it truly stand out, and the script needed a some work to make it flow more smoothly.
March 17, 2016
Ip man is so much more than a Kung fu film. It's a masterpiece in its own right. A competent cast works together under well-visioned direction to yield a finely produced epic based on a real life legend. Liberties were taken of course but the tale in real life would be enthralling and exciting to anyone. This is one of my favorite films.
March 15, 2016
Bare knuckle brilliance and captivating character develop elevate Ip Man above the rank and file.
March 13, 2016
Beautiful to look at and full of amazing fight sequences IP man tells the story of Wing Chun probably best known for his student Bruce Lee. But there is so much more to the man himself. If your a martial arts fan check it out for the amazing work of Donnie Yen
February 26, 2016
Easily the best modern martial arts film, IP Man has incredible fight scenes that pack a surprisingly emotional punch that feels historically grounded and earned, despite certain liberties with the true story.
February 20, 2016
Best Kung Fu since Enter the dragon- hands down. Loved it!
February 10, 2016
BEASTLY movie with a great story, emotionally powerful, and of course, phenomenal fighting. Lots of intense scenes with awesome music. makes you emotionally invested (3 viewings)