Ip Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ip Man Reviews

½ May 4, 2017
one of the best martial arts movies i have seen in a while.
May 2, 2017
Aunque a nivel de guión la película está un poco parca y su estructura es un tanto extarña a la hora de contar la vida del famoso maestro de artes marciales, lo cierto es que todo esto está compensado con el alto grado técnico con el que se rodaron y editaron las escenas. Muchos cineastas hollywoodnses deberían ver más películas asiáticias (y no solo de artes marciales) para aprender como se puede hacer también cine de calidad. Reconozcamoslo...la acción hollywoodiense lleva ya algún tiempo necesitando una regeneración urgente (a pesar de tener de vez en cuando alguna joyita), y eso es algo que lo han dejado claro éxitos como el de The Raid o la propiamente americana John Wick.

Volviendo a Ip Man, puede que no sea el espectáculo de artes marciales del cine chino que tanto nos gusta (con pelícculas de la Shaw Brothers o las primeras grandes películas de Jet Li o Jackie Chan), pero su tono más oscuro y directo le sienta genial y nos ofrece todo un espectáculo dramático y visual.
½ April 29, 2017
This rainy Saturday I chose to sit and watch the IP Man Trilogy, having heard & read many good things about it. after watching the first I was anxious to get to IP Man 2, having thought the first movie was high on my list of being one of the best Martial Arts films I had ever seen. Beautiful camera work and exquisite fight scenes, light on wire work, that worked well in the context of the drama. Whether choreographing fights against different Chinese styles or Chinese Wing Chung VS Japanese Kung Fu, the fights are exciting and generally authentic looking (to my untrained eye anyway).
This dramatization is based on the life of IP Man from 1938-1945, the creator of Wing Chung, a style of martial arts that would attract millions through the years, and teacher of Bruce Lee. it takes place during the Japanese occupation of China. Highly recommended for lovers of the Genre.
April 28, 2017
I give it a begrudging 5/5 -- I think a low 4.75 is more appropriate. This series insinuates that it's a little more biopic than it actually is, but it's a great action picture - the kind that seemed to be retired with the timeless epic Fearless which was Jet Li's chosen final martial arts picture.

With Jet Li "retired" from the genre, Donnie assures his rightful place as this generation's kung fu hero in Jet's absence. (even though Donnie Yen has been making movies nearly as long as Jet and they battled each other on-screen as far back as 1992)
April 25, 2017
All glory to China! Good story, anyway, and great fights.
April 2, 2017
cant stop watching this movie
March 2, 2017
He faced 10 people and beat them this film is great
½ February 23, 2017
Nothing to extravagant, just plain martial arts. And not to much running on treetops or flying 50 yards when they get hit.
½ February 14, 2017
9/10 - A great biography, great action and depicted a great character and moral standard of Ip Man. It's been a while since I've enjoyed a movie this much. There are probably some areas that I have overlooked but it's Bruce Lee's teacher man!
½ February 7, 2017
The action is jaw dropping. The film is beautiful. The protagonist is compelling. But this movie kinda reminded me of Rocky IV...except this time the Russians were the Japanese. So it was really exceptional Chinese propaganda, but it was still kinda Chinese propaganda. That said, if someone told me they were interested in a martial arts film, I would not hesitate to recommend.
January 22, 2017
Excellent directing and cinematography in this character-driven mostly family friendly martial arts flick
December 27, 2016
Mind-blowing kung-fu action against a compelling true-life backdrop. Donnie Yen is the absolute fricken shiz.
½ December 22, 2016
Davo quasi per scontato la presenza di coreografie e combattimenti mozzafiato, ma questo primo capitolo della saga mi ha stupito principalmente per la sua forte caratterizzazione dei personaggi e per una trama che riesce a trasmettere emozioni lungo tutto il film. Le scene d'azione restano comunque la parte migliore e più divertente, spettacolari come sempre grazie ad un Donnie Yen in gran forma.
December 16, 2016
Loved when he fought 10 people and beat the crap out of them
December 14, 2016
absolutely amazing autobiographical story of one of the greatest teachers in history
½ December 7, 2016
Great martial arts film.
½ November 21, 2016
Donnie Yen is a martial arts master. Based on the real life of Ip Man, the story shows his fall and struggle to maintain order and who he is. There are incredible fights and a touching story.
November 19, 2016
Why did I not watch this all this time?
October 12, 2016
A solid Kung Fu movie with impressive stunts and cinematography that tells an important story.