It Comes At Night - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

It Comes At Night Reviews

March 20, 2018
"It Comes At Night" has a strong cast, & along with Shults' grounded tone of approach, they deliver a very serious film.

There is a certain beauty in ambiguity, especially in thought-provoking horror films but there is also the idea of "too much of a good thing can ultimately turn out to be bad". I think that's something that happened in the case of "It Comes At Night".

The film is flooded in questions, with many of them left unanswered & completely up to the viewers' judgment to decide which is which. Leaving a level of openness to interpretation is good & prompts viewers' to actively engage with the narrative but leaving that level of space between your viewership & your narrative creates other results. Rightly so, people might think that even the creators themselves have no answers to their own raised questions.

(Updated from 18/03/2018)
½ March 18, 2018
Una breve ed intensa esperienza che coinvolge ed emoziona con facilitÓ. La storia Ŕ molto semplice ed Ŕ ambientata in un futuro post-apocalittico giÓ visto in altre situazioni. In questo caso per˛ l'atmosfera generale viene gestita con un tocco innovativo che non risulta mai banale o prevedibile. E' proprio l'imprevedibilitÓ dei personaggi a rendere il film intenso e pieno di angoscia, con scene ricche d'ansia e colpi di scena improvvisi ed inaspettati.
March 18, 2018
Puntaje Original: 6.0

Cuando esperabas que It Comes at Night asuma un perfil introspectivo de los instintos humanos en condiciones extremas, se convierte en una conclusiˇn desencajada del potencial que tenÝa.
½ March 17, 2018
Soooooooooo sloooooooooooow. So many unanswered questions.
March 15, 2018
slloooooowwww burn that tries to leaves an ambiguous end...the destination is not worth the trip.
March 14, 2018
A combination of nerve-racking sound, uncertainty and paranoia builds up what seems to be a grounded take on a pandemic-like survival. It Comes at Night is able to use the aspect of internal horrors and panic to develop a sense of unnerving suspense that is for the most part effective especially in the third act. 4/1/5
March 11, 2018
"Who opened the red door?" Trey Edward Shults' post-apocalyptic horror spreads more than just spine-tingling fear; but more significantly, a caution that exorbitant paranoia makes us scarier than the evil we are guarding against.
March 8, 2018
it feels like you are truly watching a community of terrified, paranoid human beings fight with their fears, themselves, and the people around them. it's absolutely mesmerizing.
½ March 4, 2018
Serviceable, but lacking a proper payoff.
½ March 4, 2018
There's a decent amount of tense moments, but overall the movie is lacking. Good performances.
½ March 3, 2018
Unfortunately this one goes exactly where you think it will not long into it...or at least it did for me. So a movie filled with tension and build up amounted to disappointment.

The movies central question is "How far would you go for your family" which can lead to great things...the problem is the movie never let's up with that question. It shows you in neon lights the conclusion it's working towards.
March 3, 2018
HORRIBLE MOVIE. Worst movie I've ever watched. How can you end it like that. Nothing was fucking explained. Complete poopstain mind fuck. It was like I fell into a massive pile of shit, ate that shit, and pooped it out and ate it again. Horrible movie. Worst movie. I give like a negative 100000 review. I hate this movie with every element of my body.
March 2, 2018
It Comes at Night follows the events of a mysterious apocalypse where most of the world's population has been wiped out by disease. We are soon engulfed in a scene where a family deals with the problem of a diseased old man. The scene is sobering and gives us a sense of what goes through the mind of the family's patriarch played by Joel Edgerton as he tries to protect his family. Realization that the disease can infect anyone quickly hits home when this scene is further described later in the movie and hits home what has befallen the world at this time. Quickly, Joel is faced with a dilemma to help another family or continue shelter his family from the dangers of the outside world.

The strength of this film is the acting of the lead actors especially Joel Edgerton and Kelvin Harrison Jr. Joel is very believable as a father who has watched his world turn upside down and he has had to forsake the world to protect his family. His performance is measured and I feel the inner workings of his mind as his paranoia grows with each successive event that unfolds. Family comes first in this movie and you get to understand his methods although sometimes they can be extreme. One thing I have always enjoyed about Joel is his ability to make his characters feel real and as someone who existed. I have never seen Kelvin Harrison Jr in a movie before but I will quickly search for more projects involved with him. His performance is haunting and gave me some chills as I watched him deal with some terrifying night terrors.

Dilemmas such as getting supplies affected by an apocalypse and the safety of being vulnerable to another family presents an uneasy central question. One question is raised regarding what we will do for family and the extent of measures we would take to protect our family. This question is posed to the viewer and some of the darker areas of human nature. This area is pretty gray as we can sympathize with the plight of a family trying to survive in the difficult time. However, we can also see the danger might be more imagined than real existing outside of the home.

Most of the setting takes place in the family's home and so the camera is trained on corners and tight spaces. This made me think about the claustrophobic angles I have enjoyed in Kubrick's work. The camera is effective making my chest tighten wondering what is going to happen next. I enjoyed the sense of being there with the characters and made the experience more gripping.

One knock against this movie will be the ambiguity. There is not much known about the sickness or the apocalypse for that matter. A little more explanation could have helped the movie. I was curious if my theories were right but I enjoyed viewing the movie for a second time to see if my theories proved correct. I suppose the power of the movie is you want to view it again to see if there is something you missed. It is quite possible the sickness was more about human nature than a real sickness. The ending is also left to discussion although you can make your judgments. I believe a different ending would have made a stronger statement. I enjoy coming up with my own theories but I think a clearer ending could make the experience more enjoyable in this case.

Another knock against the movie will be the lack of scares. Most of the film was not very scary although my chest tightened with the camera angles. Instead, the picture works itself underneath your skin but I only felt small chills. I wanted to be scared more when I see a thriller although it plays more as a slow-burner.

Overall, I think the movie was well-made and thrilling in the tight spaces it resided in. The performances of the lead characters were taut with tension and you felt these characters were living this closed off, paranoia drenched life. Camera work is very strong putting you into the movie and feeling some of anxiety by the characters. I really enjoyed this movie despite some of its shortcomings and still feel myself thinking about the movie after the film ended. Tough questions are asked and you find yourself wondering what you just viewed on the big screen.
½ February 23, 2018
It wasn't as scary as I thought it would be but it's very twisted plot makes it worth the watch.
½ February 22, 2018
As a huge horror fan i didnt enjoy that predictable boring movie with its horrible trashy ending. I didnt feel scared, shocked or excited one time during the whole movie. I really dont understand this 7.4 rating. It is one of the most boring horror movies i seen so far. This movie was not satisfying for me. Dunno how much they paid for this positive critics.
½ February 19, 2018
Definitely left a dirty bathwater froth in my mouth after viewing this film. I am just as disappointed in this film as my parents are of my life style. Sadly I sat in the theater and refilled my popcorn to finish the credits hoping for a gotcha moment, this never came. I must say the "gotcha" was in the purchase of the ticket to see this film. At first this film seemed to very promising, much tension building, atmosphere was great along with suspense. The writing was very poor with many visible plot holes. It is nice to have an open ended movie with questions unanswered "to a degree". There were no questions answered and I was left feeling dirty and wronged.
February 18, 2018
I know what it was going for and it could've been great, but my goodness it was beyond slow and painfully boring. Again, knew what it wanted to be, but it just didn't happen.
February 18, 2018
Only had one viewing. Could be five on the second run.
February 16, 2018
This movie was ??????????????????
February 12, 2018
Don?t waste your time on this one. Nothing comes at night and nothing else happens followed up with a crappy ending.