It Happened One Night - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

It Happened One Night Reviews

September 19, 2016
It Happened One Night is so much fun and is blessed with pure greatness from Colbert, Gable & Capra.
September 11, 2016
This set the stage for all romantic comedies that came after it, and it still holds up today.
August 19, 2016
Still charming after all these years, this old rom-com may just be one of the best. And while Gable and Colbert give memorable performances, it's the priceless, hilarious ending that I will forever remember it for.
August 5, 2016
Perfect casting with masterful directing and writing result in a movie to watch again and again through the ages.
June 17, 2016
A light-hearted romance with the right hint of comedy. The very lovable characters make you really enjoy the film. It's a classic!
May 20, 2016
A naive rich girl (Claudette Colbert) runs away from her daddy since he's trying to annul her marriage to a dippy cad. She runs afoul of a smarmy journalist (Clark Gable) who sees her headline-grabbing escapades as his ticket to a hot story. The pair initially despise each other, but this is a screwball comedy and we all know where that goes. It Happened One Night swept the Oscars and it established genre tropes that romcoms follow to this very day, but it's still easy to forget how funny its dialogue can be or how excellent the actors are in their roles. Consideration is also due to director Frank Capra for his slick pace, unpretentious photography, and keen eye for properly framing his stars.
May 1, 2016
In 1934, Frank Capra sparked a genre renaissance with this paint-by-numbers screwballer.
A comedy classic and Academy Award favourite, Capra's film combines charm and wit, laughter and sorrow, and Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert. The film is a fizzy comedy of errors played to perfection, and Gable and Colbert's ever-imitated exchanges will never be forgotten.
It Happened One Night remains a genuine joy to watch for anyone with a heart and a sense of humour, and Hollywood will always be indebted to Capra for kickstarting a trend that would last for decades - if not a decade or two too long.
April 1, 2016
Excellent movie. This movie set the standard for every rom com out there today, and is actually very funny, sweet, and is led by great performances from its leads.
Antonius Block
March 31, 2016
Clark Gable dials up the 1934 beefcake with his shirt off in one seen, and Colbert famously stops a car while hitchhiking by revealing her leg, but the movie is quite innocuous, and is better known for essentially being the blueprint for romantic comedies to this day.

Colbert is a spoiled, rich heiress who runs away from her family (actually starting this by jumping off a yacht and swimming away from them). Gable is a newspaper reporter who's been fired. They find each other on a crowded train, and are forced to sit together. They hate one another at first, but after spending time on a couple of busses, a car, in the haystack together, and in a hotel room divided by a clothesline with a blanket hanging over it ... well, you get the idea. At one point he carries her across a stream caveman style, over his shoulder, and gives her a swat on the behind as they debate what constitutes a piggyback ride. They confuse each other's motivations and split at the end, Colbert off to wed another (and in a very pretty dress), but we all know where it's heading, and this one is complete with a 'runaway bride' scene.

I don't know if the movie was worthy of sweeping the Academy Awards (and Colbert herself didn't think much of it), but it's still sharp with its dialog, and quite entertaining. Aside from the main story line, it has a nice 'Capra' touch in having everyone on a bus (including the driver) singing verses of 'The Man on the Flying Trapeze' to pass the time. I also smiled over this interchange after Gable's character had tossed some newspapers off the bus to make space for his seat:

Bus driver: "Oh, fresh guy, huh? What you need is a good sock in the nose."
Clark Gable: "Listen pardner, you might like my nose, but I do. I always wear it out in the open, where if anyone wants to take a sock at it, they can do it."
"Oh, yeah?"
"Now that's a brilliant answer. Why didn't I think of it? Our conversation could have been over long ago."
"Oh, yeah?"
"You keep that up, we're not going to get anywhere."
"Oh, yeah?"
"Ya got me. Yeah!" (to chuckling from the other passengers)
March 30, 2016
This may be Frank Capra's greatest film of all time. It's definitely up there with It's a wonderful life and Mr. Smith goes to Washington. This classic screwball comedy is flawless. Funny, charming, and just all around great, this film is not one you want to miss.
½ March 14, 2016
The version I watched was in very poor quality, but still this is a true Hollywood classic. My favourite was when all the passengers on the bus are singing together. Pure bliss!
½ March 9, 2016
This movie blazed the trail for the greatest romantic comedies in cinema including "His Girl Friday," "Annie Hall," and "500 Days of Summer."
½ February 13, 2016
Frank Capra's It Happened One Night may be a showcase for Colbert and Gable's talent - as well as a pioneer on the romantic comey genre - but it is nonetheless a silly and dull movie.
½ January 31, 2016
The best film of the year 1934. Prime directing and a real treasure in pure entertainment ala Capra. The acting is great and to some extent the plot likevice.
January 30, 2016
One of the best drama's I have ever seen!
January 23, 2016
Five stars for Clark Gable's mustache. And the acting is wow.
January 5, 2016
An absolute gem. From start to finish. Gable is amazing as is Colbert. Watch it.
November 21, 2015
Very sweet cute story.
October 28, 2015
Considered now a seminal film in the histories of screwball comedy, romantic comedy, and indeed the Academy Awards, It Happened One Night is perhaps the most sophisticated example of early Hollywood sound filmmaking that would define the Classical Hollywood Era. It's an enjoyable trip with whip-smart repartee, clever schticks, and charming performances from its shining stars - Gable and Colbert - and supporting cast alike.
October 19, 2015
Ya no las hacen como antes...