Jack and Diane - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jack and Diane Reviews

½ July 22, 2016
everyone is making a big deal about the creature / monster / werewolf thing and that it was an irrelevant thing to add to the story, which apparently itself was fine besides the lack of energy and emotion. I liked the soundtrack. I loved the characters and the acting.I understood the characters and their connection, reminding me of my own first love. I guess thats biased considering I related to jack but the acting seemed so natural on keoughs part. The artsy style of the lighting was subtle and not overly used, although I think it could have still had a bit more character to the movie as a whole. I'll admit that at points it all seemed plain, lazily smashed together to try to create something more marvelous than it was, and vague and simple bit still original in a sense that when do you ever see a lesbian horror romance that isn't completely made my a guy sexualizing every second ? The romance felt real and personal. Lmao ok bye I really liked it but I have to agree, it needed just something more.
February 10, 2016
" Jack & Diane " is one of those films that you either going to like or not, because the monster thing, sometimes it did not made sense at all, but the chemistry between the two main characters were great. I like their love story and how they care of it until the end. It's a very intense film with good solid acting. As that being said I like Juno Temple in anything that she does, so for that I give this movie " Jack & Diane " a C.
½ January 14, 2016
Having depressed lesbians who don't fit in doesn't just automatically mean you care for them and that they're important. Basically, these two characters don't have much to look at or to hold a movie by just talking and wandering. I didn't buy them and the story is also just nothing. And the weird metaphoric monster doesn't help. It's a terrible film thinking it's got strong messages when it doesn't know what the hell it's trying to say.
November 22, 2015
I watched this as I've liked a lot of Juno Temple's movies. This is pretty much a lesbian romance, which would be fine if they had left the stupid monster stuff out.
It's probably meant to be a metaphor for struggling with sexuality, but honestly I would have preferred it if they just dealt with that issue.
What's left is a very average film which drags and makes no sense. It's a shame, it could have been decent.
½ August 8, 2015
Long, boring, plotless thing; underacting presented as a kind of misplaced existentialism ; the "horrorpart" is just a joke : some bleeding noses, and an obscure crawling thing that has nothing to do with the "story" .. Watching paint dry is more thrilling...
July 31, 2015
good romance with a creepy twist of horror elements. the girl with dark hair is better actress of the two so that kept my interest. the story itself meanders a bit but not bad. if you ate looking for something different then check it out.
½ May 4, 2015
If it hadn't tried so hard to be edgy, it could have been pretty good.
October 31, 2014
There just aren't enough lesbian werewolf films, but Jack & Diane is here to fill that niche. The story is paper-thin and involves a friendship between two teenage girls that are werewolves? The werewolf aspect is so poorly integrated that it's hard to tell whether they're both wolves, whether one turned the other into a wolf, or if it's just a visual manifestation. But beyond that, the acting is poor and there's no point to anything in the film. Monotonous tripe, Jack & Diane is convoluted and inexplicable.
September 26, 2014
64%

Bad ass soundtrack, that's about it.
½ August 20, 2014
This felt like it could have been a good film. It felt liken there was an idea or vision that may have lead to something worthwhile. I like the actors. I like them together; they had real chemistry. I like the look and feel of this film. But they are in the service of an absolutely in-cohesive, inconsequential, contrived, and very poorly-dialouged screenplay. This is one of those films that tells us the two characters fell in love based on absolutely nothing. From what I saw Jack and Diane barely said three things to each other before they started declaring their love. I detest that trope in movies. Without barely any justification for their relationship, there is barely anything for the audience to get invested in. And then the film doesn't fix this problem. It gives us scene upon scene of nothing important happening, all the while failing to show us who these characters are and who they are to each other. Thats the film. No scene in this film had any relevance at all, they could've been shown in random order and the film would have been just as cohesive. And the dialogue is awful, cringe-worthy in some places. Finally there are the "werewolf" scenes. This film is marketed as a "werewolf" film, but the scenes could be completely removed from the film without having any consequence. They are meant to be symbolic, but I didn't know what they meant, and don't think the film knows what they meant. And it's a shame because the two leads give good performances, and they make the film very watchable in some parts. But they can't save this pretentious and plotless failure.
½ August 10, 2014
This felt like it could have been a good film. It felt liken there was an idea or vision that may have lead to something worthwhile. I like the actors. I like them together; they had real chemistry. I like the look and feel of this film. But they are in the service of an absolutely in-cohesive, inconsequential, contrived, and very poorly-dialouged screenplay. This is one of those films that tells us the two characters fell in love based on absolutely nothing. From what I saw Jack and Diane barely said three things to each other before they started declaring their love. I detest that trope in movies. Without barely any justification for their relationship, there is barely anything for the audience to get invested in. And then the film doesn't fix this problem. It gives us scene upon scene of nothing important happening, all the while failing to show us who these characters are and who they are to each other. Thats the film. No scene in this film had any relevance at all, they could've been shown in random order and the film would have been just as cohesive. And the dialogue is awful, cringe-worthy in some places. Finally there are the "werewolf" scenes. This film is marketed as a "lesbian werewolf" film, but the scenes could be completely removed from the film without having any consequence. They are meant to be symbolic, but I didn't know what they meant, and don't think the film knows what they meant. And it's a shame because the two leads give great performances, and they make the film very watchable in some parts. But they can't save this pretentious and plotless failure.
½ March 12, 2014
There;s a new addition to the list of the worst movies I've ever seen. There is not a thing about this movie that is in any way good, from the ridiculousness of it's romance to the nonsensical scenes of hair sliding around badly CGI-ed, indistinct organs that I guess represent the completely unexplained random monster appearances that make no sense whatsoever.
Harlequin68
February 14, 2014
Diane(Juno Temple) loses her cell phone and therefore has no idea her sister is not coming to visit her from Washington, DC until it is too late. By that point, she is feeling nauseous and having nose bleeds. Seeking shelter in a night club, she runs into Jack(Riley Keough) who takes her home with her. When Diane finally gets home the following morning, her aunt Linda(Cara Seymour) is so sick with worry that she is prepared to ground her until she is old enough to collect social security.

Desperately wanting to put its own fresh spin on the teenage lesbian coming of age movie, "Jack and Diane" goes the extra mile unnecessarily in throwing random plot elements at the wall to see what sticks which is pretty much nothing, except in the department of bodily functions. The more the movie tries to be dark and edgy, the more it becomes harder to tell exactly what is going on. Characters coming and going as they please does not help in the least. In any case, we've known for a while that Juno Temple is game for anything while Kylie Minogue just seems intent on putting together the most eccentric filmography ever.
January 24, 2014
this movie is so bad. that is not worded to see I don't recommend this was a wait of time an film.. its not funny,not romantic, an for damn such no horror.
½ January 16, 2014
I love juno but that wasn't good
December 31, 2013
Lesbian werewolves are worthy of at least 2 stars
October 7, 2013
Yes, the plot wasn't so great and under developed, and the pace was too slow at times, but there was something about this film that wouldn't let it leave my mind afterward. Despite the shortcomings, Gray does a beautiful job at capturing the nostalgic dreamlike state of first love. Jack and Diane takes the cake in originality, and is definitely worth experiencing; if anything just for fun.
½ August 12, 2013
quite unfathomable as to what everyone working on this flick was thinking; felt like a school project shot when everyone was high on something. the protagonists had zilch chemistry and both characters irritated rather than charmed.

it had the most inane dialogue too.
July 10, 2013
What an uneven film. It tries to be mumblecore hipster, it tries to be teen romance, it tries to be horror, it tries to be profound. It succeeds at none of these. The elaborate werewolf metaphor is ugly to look at, confusing, and serves no purpose. I believe that, for the film to succeed, it would have to be recut as a love story, removing all of the animated werewolf sequences. Despite the film's failings, I was extremely impressed by Riley Keough performance as Jack. She was a natural on screen.
July 1, 2013
File that one in the "that movie is fucked up" category