91% Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Jul 11

Jack Reacher Reviews

sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 1, 2013
this film was not at all what i expected. it's sort of a cross between jason bourne and columbo, heavier on the detective work and fairly light on action until the end. the plot was a bit weak, and much of the motivation for the crime was left completely unexplained, but the film was fun and entertaining and the character of jack reacher is compelling enough. overall a solid film.
Apeneck F

April 19, 2014
By-the-numbers standard crime thriller, with Cruise as the tough-as-nails investigator (leaned out 21st century style with no traditional trench coat, no traditional whiskey in the bottom desk drawer of a crummy second floor office, no traditional smokes, only plenty of whoop ass), Rosamund Pike as the babe (shimmering) and, of course, the usual cast of suspects.
Served hot.
Cruise doesn't say the line, "I'm Batman", but if he did it would be the same movie.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

January 24, 2013
The law has limits. He does not.

Very Good Movie! In truth Tom Cruise is very good in this role, the movie is fast paced and action packed, the writing is cleaver and spot on, so to those who would continue to pan this movie I say lighten up and relax. This was a very good movie, Tom Cruise was good in the lead role, the several one-liners were very cleaver and kept a sense of humor in a plot with plenty of violence and too close for comfort realism. This movie was good, it was entertaining, well acted, and should be viewed and enjoyed by all who watch it.

In an innocent heartland city, five are shot dead by an expert sniper. The police quickly identify and arrest the culprit, and build a slam-dunk case. But instead of confessing, the accused man writes the words, "Get Jack Reacher." Reacher himself sees the news report and turns up in the city. The defense is immensely relieved, but Reacher has come to bury the guy. Shocked at the accused's request, Reacher sets out to confirm for himself the absolute certainty of the man's guilt, but comes up with more than he bargained for.
Anthony L

September 27, 2013
I can think of a few actors who could have played Jack Reacher just as well as Tom Crusie did but that said I thought he did a great job. I've not read the book so I can't make a comparison but I thought the story was thrilling and very clever. People who read my reviews will not be surprised at what I liked about it most, and I've been saying it for years, Werner Herzog can play the ultimate bad guy. This is all the proof you need. Every scene he's in he chills to the bone and you believe in him and believe the horrible things he's done and is going to do. The ending is very clever and well written. A very pleasant surprise!
Cynthia S

May 20, 2013
I watched this, even though I hate Tom Cruise. Was this supposed to be an action comedy? I could not take it seriously at all. Maybe Tom Cruise tried too hard? I don't know. The acting was bad, the storyline was underdeveloped, and the action sequences were hard not to chuckle at. Some of the dialogue in this made me roll my eyes. I really did try to keep my mind open here, and give it a chance. Guess what? I still hate Tom Cruise....
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

August 8, 2013
Jack Reacher (Tom Cruise) is the tale of a very astute ex-military policeman. The army training came in quite handy as he digs into the evidence of a heinous crime that turns out to be not at all what it seems to be on the surface. I was surprised at how funny the dialogue in this film was, it is definitely not a comedy, but the sarcastic and comedic one-liners kept coming, even in situations that were completely devoid of a humorous setting there was some very amusing conversation. There was even a scene in which Reacher is attacked in a bathroom that had me cracking up at the bumbling bad guys. The comedy was heightened even further with the old codger Cash (Robert Duvall). Mr. Duvall always delivers a convincing performance, same here. As with any film that features Mr. Cruise the expectation is that it will be fast paced and very entertaining, same here. The only thing missing was his trademark sprint to or after something or anything. I've just come to expect to see him running, really running but we are getting older. The trailer is the only kind that I like, the ones that do not give away the whole movie. It shows that Reacher is bad a$$ without playing out every aspect of the story. David Oyelowo (Emerson) is one to watch, he is building an impressive resume and it is easy to see why because whenever he portrays a character he is that character. When he played a pilot in Red Tails, I totally believed he could fly a plane. When he was the head of a company experimenting on Apes, I was again thoroughly convinced and I believed every aspect of his being a police detective. One of the best car chase scenes that I've seen lately was in this film. There were so many attributes of this film that I liked, including the sexual tension between Reacher and Helen Ronin (Rosamund Pike) that I will just sum it up by saying. Everything just seemed to be genuine and authentic, even though I know that the fights are staged they looked logistically correct, but Steven Segal did come to mind. I liked that the film had a legitimate beginning and end, even if there are subsequent Jack Reacher tales to follow, there was no gaping wide open door of a final scene leaving the audience wondering 'What's up with that?!?'. But I do hope there are sequels, at least one. I give it a green light. 5 Stars 7-17-13
cosmo313
cosmo313

July 7, 2012
Based on a novel I haven't read and know nothing about, this is Christopher McQuarrie's long overdue directorial follow-up to The Way of the Gun.

Jack Reacher is a drifter, loner, and former U.S. Army Military Police Corps officer who is called in to investigate a seemingly open-and shut case of a military trained sniper who shot and killed 5 random innocents. What happens though, is far from routine, as things are not as they appear, and there's a conspiracy afoot.

It seems like this is a typical mystery thriller, but, due to the direction, this is elevated and becomes something better than average. From what I've read, as an adaptation, the film is serviceable and gets the gist, but fails to deliver the goods in terms of character development, motivation, and plot specifics. I can see that. Yeah, the film is underwhelming with some of the plot developments and substance.

I should be harsher on this for those reasons alone, but, and this is key: the pacing is perfect, and, even though the film is skeletal with some stuff, what you get is just enough to get the point across, and get the job done. How this becomes a negative is that the characters and plot are intriguing, so that's why is sucks we don't get more of them.

Another thing that elevates all this is the execution. It's PG-13, but this film is still gritty, thrilling, and delivers the goods in a satisfying and entertaining way. There's lots of suspense, the car chase is awesome (yay for practical effects and naturalism), and the performances are pretty solid too. Cruise is effective and believable, and he's enjoyable to watch. Jenkins, Pike, and Duvall are fine, given the limitations, and then there's Werner Herzog as the heavy. It's a shame they failed to use him for maximum effect, but holy god, is it great when he's onscreen...especially when he gives a creepy monologue. I think that scene and the car chase might be the two best moments here, though the opening shooting scene is great, too.

All in all, yeah, this is flawed, but it's decent enough. I was never bored, its well made, and it gets a lot right, so give it a shot. It's just unfortunate that McQuarrie isn't directing (or writing, really) as much as he should be, because he's a real talent.
Josh L

December 19, 2012
Jack Reacher rises above the clichÚs of the crime thriller genre thanks to swift and intelligent direction, a strong performance from Tom Cruise, and a compelling story that keeps the audience guessing throughout. I was engaged by the story from the beginning and Reacher is a surprisingly good character. The action is well shot and gets the job done as well. I have not read the book it is based on, and from what I hear purists have been offended by the liberties taken with the source material, but that's not something I typically count off for (even if I have read the book). Let them "adapt" the book how they want. If it works (as is the case here), then I see no reason to complain. That's why it is called an "adaptation". Overall, I expected this to be a generic and predictable action crime thriller like so many others this year, but was pleasantly surprised by how enjoyable and smart the film actually is.
familiar s

July 4, 2013
Fits in the "THRILLING" genre quite well, hardly sorting to any pretensions. IMO, thanks to the outstanding performances & slick screenplay, Jack Reacher is not only a good thriller but also an excellent time-filler. 6.5/10.
YodaMasterJedi
YodaMasterJedi

June 24, 2013
three stars...
Christian C

April 13, 2013
Like most Tom Cruise movies for the last 10-15 years, this one was hard to follow at first. And Tom Cruise is a bit old to play some of these types of characters. It was almost humorous in a scene close to the start of the film when old-man Cruise beat up a group of 5 young, purportedly hired thugs who should have known what they were doing. It's kind of sad to see where Cruise's career and vanity have taken him.
Jason R

April 19, 2013
It isn't much, but it's great for what it is. Tom Cruise, he does no wrong.
Albert K

January 17, 2013
I was surprised -- I didn't expect it to be so much of a mystery movie instead of a balls-to-the-wall action flick like the trailers made it out to be. Sadly, that's where all the surprises comes to a screeching halt. "Jack Reacher"'s a film that -- yes, is very formulaic -- does everything without delivering the goods of a formulaic flick. It's entertaining, I'll give it that, but it doesn't try to reinvent the wheel, nor does it try to add flavor to the cards it's dealt with (except for one scene).

I don't know too much about the details of its production, but all I know is that it's based off a series of books on a character named Jack Reacher. I don't mind that Tom Cruise doesn't fit the physical build of what Reacher was described to be, or if it follows the book to the T -- I just mind if this is a good movie or not, and for the most part, it failed to deliver a narrative worthy enough to be written (based off of the movie of course). It goes somewhere along the lines of Reacher, a badass who takes the law-by-the-balls with no sensitivity for upholders, finding the hardline truths behind a homicide scene. From here, the film takes the linear route of point A to B, which I don't mind at all. It's not a character-study; it's not a compelling art-house flick with idiosyncratic shots; this is a mystery-thriller. Hey, as long as this journey to point B is a palpable journey for the audience members, I'm all ears. Unfortunately, "Jack Reacher" -- though entertaining for its action sequences -- is a generic mystery movie with flatline characters at best -- so flat in fact, that it makes me wonder why Jack Reacher is such a compelling character worthy enough to have a book series lined up for him. I understand that these are merely problems from this movie itself and not the books.

I get it: Jack Reacher is a bad ass. Omg, Tom Cruise is such a bad ass. Why's he so baaad? He makes me tremble in fear before him... NOT. "Jack Reacher" falls under the same problem "John Q" had: the characters on-screen talk too much about how Reacher is a force to be reckoned with. How 'bout show the audience how he's such a "ghost" that stays off the grid? How 'bout show the audience his unique skill to take anybody out and how he is a reckless outlaw fixated on doing his own thing? Unfortunately, the problem is because the script is mediocre and Tom Cruise doesn't bring enough to make the character, Jack Reacher, the interesting character he's made out to be. Cruise does a fine enough performance, but he's merely playing himself. What I'm trying to say is that I watched Tom Cruise kick ass -- not Jack Reacher. But hey, I'm not making Tom Cruise the punching bag here -- the rest of the cast fails to bring flair to their characters, especially David Oyelowo who played as the detective named Emerson.

As for the technical aspects, it does the bare minimum. Camerawork shows what's going on and the editing is fine. What's not fine is the dialogue. Wow, some jokes fall way flat with some of the worst one-liners from recent memory. It's not that the delivery was bad, but it's just that the humor is way too silly for its cause.

I'm tearing "Jack Reacher" a new butthole, but I've gotta hand it something: The car chase scene and the shooting sequences are done superbly with incredible crane shots. There's no fast editing to hide the blemishes and in fact, it was breathtaking to see all the stunts were not done by a stunt-double look-alike for Tom Cruise -- it was literally Tom Cruise behind the wheel. These sequences aren't afraid to slow down and take a breath nor is it trying to shove down explosions in your throat -- it just manages to carry a good amount of tension to make it an entertaining set-piece to help "Jack Reacher" stand out just a bit from the rest of the generic action flicks.

No matter how great the action set-pieces are, it isn't enough to call "Jack Reacher" an above-average thriller. There's just too many problems to claim and though it seemed like I tore this film apart, it's merely an average movie and an average movie gets a 2 1/2 stars out of 5. For the average Joe, the average movie will do enough to entertain, and that's what it did for me -- it entertains, nothing more, nothing less.
Pierluigi P

April 26, 2013
formulaic and predictable, but never an idiotic run-of-the-mill action movie of the week, a rather well written and correctly paced old school thriller similar (although miles away) to what Peter Yates, Don Siegel and Walter Hill did for the genre, unpretentious and solid entertainment.
Stuart B

January 13, 2013
Good action movie and Cruise isn't that annoying.
Phil H

April 18, 2013
Adapted from a novel I know nothing about and a writer I've never heard of, but I did take the liberty of reading up on what to expect. Thing is the director of this film clearly hasn't done the same. Now from what I learned the main character in these books, 'Reacher', is 6'5'' tall, built like a brick shithouse, blonde hair, pretty fit, pretty muscular, piercing blue eyes, weighs around 250 pounds and has many battle scars. For this someone thought it a good idea to cast Tom Cruise, yeah...of course.

According to Wiki Childs (novelist) decided that Reacher's huge frame what more a metaphor for an unstoppable force. Yeah sounds like you're backtracking there matey, just to get Cruise on board, should of cast an unknown.

An atrocity is committed, five people are senselessly killed by a lone sniper, someone is dragged in as a suspect and 'Jack Reacher' is the man asked for. From here on its pretty much a standard murder mystery 'who dunnit?', in fact you could say its like 'Sherlock Holmes' if he went around beating people half to death.

This really has to be the biggest anti climax I've seen for some time. The films poster boldly shows Cruise's battered face (nothing else, as usual), the whole image is dark, brooding and clearly trying to give the impression he's a tough no nonsense kinda guy. Then when you watch the film all you get is Cruise...being Cruise, but attempting to be the strong silent type whilst at the same time being a wisecracking smartass, it just doesn't work.

The story is slowish but mainly just very very average, there isn't really anything in the film that got me excited or had me on the edge of my seat. You know the guy they capture at the start isn't the killer for fudges sake! you know he's been set up, its clear as day, it shows you!! (that's not even a spoiler!) the only question is who did do it and why? but its not really that much of big deal anyway. The whole thing plods along being very bland and highly uneventful. Oh and they show you the killer at the start too pfft! not much left.

We do get a car chase and one sequence where Cruise is up against five guys in a car park. Thing is Cruise doesn't look intimidating at all and the five guys should really just beat him down rather quickly. Duvall pops up in role which feels completely pointless seeing as Cruise is always invincible and the finale with the bad guys is again completely unexciting. You think there's gonna be some really good retribution...nope, there isn't.

Maybe I'm being too hard? its not a bad film, its well made and looks good, its just utterly flat, almost boring. Unsure if Cruise made himself 'Reacher' or it was horrendous casting but either way not a good decision. The plot is standard, the action is standard, we clearly see how short Cruise actually is in a few shots, there is a truly terrible sequence where some guys try to beat Cruise but it all ends up like a 'Three Stooges' sequence and generally on the whole it felt like an episode of some random US cop drama (choose, there are loads of em! and they're all the same).

The film is ONLY as big as it is because of Cruise being in the lead role, simple as that. Other than that its a run of the mill film, two hours with Tom Cruise and not much else.
Drake T

April 3, 2013
More than often comes off as a vanity project for Cruise but I digress, as a standalone mystery thriller or franchise starter it's not bad at all. It's almost like a modern take on Noir storytelling.

The problem really lies in the fact that it's not inherently good either. There isn't anything about the premise, characters or execution that sticks out from the norm. Sure the plot itself is intricate enough to keep the viewer guessing but the delivery of it all...

More than often I wanted to reach out and inject some more charisma or "edge" into the film, without a defining style it will ultimately be forgotten in a sea of crime thrillers.
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

February 1, 2013
Try as I might, I just can't dislike Tom Cruise. His personal private life is a mess of scientology, divorce and just nutty behavior, but the guy still delivers the goods. When it comes to roles like this, Cruise can almost do them in his sleep (2010's "Knight and Day" is mostly forgettable but fun example). Jack Reacher seems like a perfect Tom Cruise vehicle, he's tough, smart, likeable and a little bit unstable.

When an ex-army sniper goes on a shooting spree, the one name he asks for once in custody is Jack Reacher. The evidence against him seems over-whelming, and after being attacked by fellow inmates, he's put in a coma that seems to close the case for the time being. When Jack Reacher arrives on the scene, he suspects things aren't what they seem. It's up to him and the attractive D.A.'s daughter (Rosamund Pike) to do the impossible and prove the man's innocence.

Jack Reacher is an interesting character and the film is a well-written action thriller. The plot keeps you guessing and there are car chases, guns and fight scenes. It's interesting that critics are so enthusiastic about Skyfall, the latest Bond film, and yet are lukewarm towards this one, which I found to be more entertaining. Perhaps, Cruise' name is just too tainted from his off-screen exploits. It's a shame, because Jack Reacher is a lot of fun.
Michael S

January 29, 2013
"Jack Reacher" is a very good mystery film that works and feels just like a pulp crime novel (fitting since it is based on one). Tom Cruise is in fine form here, proving once again to be one of the most effortlessly charismatic actors around. The film itself is quality entertainment, providing an ample amount of twists, thrills, and melee-focused combat. Sure, It runs a little too long, but it's hard to find much fault in such a solid, well-written 90s style thriller.
TomBowler
TomBowler

January 26, 2013
With a great performance from its pint-sized hero and a deftly brilliant script from writer and director McQuarrie in one of the most notable debuts in recent history. Full review later.