Jack Reacher - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jack Reacher Reviews

December 4, 2016
Once again Rotten Tomatoes misses the mark. Really good movie.
½ November 30, 2016
Total bore-fest. It's the only film i've ever seen in my life where i contemplated walking out of the cinema. Very little action, almost no music to accompany what little action there is, so many un-answered questions, and multiple plot-points that went nowhere.

It felt like an eternity. I know it's a long movie, but it felt like 6 hours of my life had gone by, and i was gradually getting stupider with every passing minute. How the hell it got a sequel i'll never know.
November 24, 2016
I thought it was going to be cheesy but I was very much entertained throughout the whole movie. It's a good movie that keeps you interested from the very beginning all the way to the end.
November 23, 2016
Certainly above-average. It has real character development and it's better than 90% of the summer trash.
½ November 21, 2016
Solid if unspectacular. Beautiful Pittsburgh
½ November 16, 2016
Jack Reacher is kind of an action movie, kind of a mystery, kind of a thriller. "Kind of" is the theme for this movie. Was it good? Kind of. Did it keep my interest? Kind of. Should you see it? Maybe, maybe not.
½ November 8, 2016
It's not one of his best, but once again he proves that he is a great action star. I figure he appreciates the books, which is why he attempts to portray a written character who is described quite differently.
November 5, 2016
Jack reacher is a guy movie , probably one of the most men driven action stereotype movie I saw in a long time , a man who cannot be found, is good at everything and knows everything comes to fight off an army and finishes the movie with literally only a scratch on his face...

Sometimes long , my wife slept the ending on the sofa , it was enough action packed to keep me interested in the story but not enough for me to want to see more.
The only place where I found the movie succeds is in the 5 first minutes of the movie where the intensity of a serial killer is showed from the killers point of view.
November 2, 2016
I saw the first part before I got a bad toothache and had to leave the theater. Excellent acting by Tom Cruise in a rime thriller. Whoever directed and produced this movie understands the power of the military veterans in taking on unwanted jobs and making them work.
October 31, 2016
We are overdue for a down to earth hero movie and here it is. This is fabulous.
½ October 31, 2016
A refreshingly intelligent actioner.
October 30, 2016
Just finished seeing this movie and thoroughly enjoyed it!
Do not drink a lot of soda, you will want to see every minute!
October 30, 2016
Jack Reacher is an enjoyable and fun to watch movie. I have read all Jack Reacher novels, and this was one of my favorite! It was such an excitement to see most things from the novel come to life on a big screen!
October 27, 2016
Tom Cruise as Reacher?! Horrible! Too short, too pretty, wrong clothes. The books are great.....
October 27, 2016
After watching it four times it's boring
October 25, 2016
In addition to having regrettably pre-chosen the week of the Sandy Hook murders to release a tactless film about an indiscriminate rampaging gunman, director Christopher McQuarrie adaptation of Lee Child's novel 'One Shot' (the ninth book of his best-selling suspense series) simply pales in comparison to its inspiration.

Like a jigsaw, the books twisted pieces fit together to complete a perfect image and are perfectly measured fodder for their target reader as guilty-pleasure throw-away airport material. The film however, is a jostle mess of bad scripting, uneven acting, incomplete action sequences and a lack of direction. Failing on its attempt of a B-movie with crime vibe, it suffers from the limiting PG-13 rating and would barely hold attention as dreadful inflight viewing.

At a Pittsburgh parking garage, a man deposits his quarter in the parking meter before gazing out across Allegheny River to the PNC park esplanade. Bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang rings out as the long-range scope of the rifle in his hand finds five random pedestrian targets.

The overwhelming amount of clear evidence leads detective Emerson (David Oywlowo) to promptly arrest marksman James Barr (Joseph Sikora). But instead of signing a full confession for DA Alex Rodin (Richard Jenkins), the alleged killer scribbles a cryptic note to "get Jack Reacher".

Puzzled, they attempt to find ex-military inspector 'Reacher' but he is simply a ghost - living in the shadow of society's blind spot. However after seeing the news report, Reacher arrives on cue of his own accord. Although, uncooperative to the prosecution it is obvious to Barr's attorney Helen Rodin (Rosamund Pike) that Reacher is not there to save her client, but to seal his fate.

Disturb by the perfection of the evidence, the indignantly Reacher scrutinizes every element to find meaning behind the seemingly random shooting and finally punish Barr for past crimes. But sometimes when you look for answers, all you get is more questions and although unbound by the law, Reacher is compelled to do what is right.

Age, stature, diction and authoritative presence deficient for our incorruptible taciturn hero, Cruise just doesn't have the glum brawny X factor or sharp-wittedness required for this enigmatic character, making the gapping chasm of modern action stars all the more apparent.

In minor roles, Robert Duvall, Werner Herzog, Michael Raymond-James and James Martin Kelly make the most of their one-dimensional characters whilst newcomer, Australia's own Jai Courtney's second Hollywood role (as in Bruce Willis son in the next installment of his far more memorable action franchise) will hopefully do the future-star more justice.

The Verdict: Although a nice respite from this months overly in-depth Oscar chasers, Jack Reacher is too dumbed-down from its sharp biting source material. If, as the books imply, a word can be more piercing than a bullet, then give me more words to shoot a this shamelessly money-grubbing franchise.

Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 12/01/2013
October 25, 2016
Entertaining but nothing new or special. Paint by numbers.
October 24, 2016
Extremely fun and exciting! A total blast, it is exactly what you would expect from the incomparable Tom Cruise.
October 22, 2016
Clearly no where near as good as John Wick.
½ October 22, 2016
Standard protocol. Should be better considering those involved.