Jackie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jackie Reviews

April 22, 2018
The film's central performance by Natalie Portman will no doubt gain great attention for its dedication to every last nuance of Jackie Kennedy's mannerisms and voice, but the real success rests in Portman's relentless and layered conveyance of emotion throughout the film. She does not allow the iconic figure to become a one-dimensional reflection of the public's memory, but allows viewers to witness the conflicted feelings of nostalgia, grief, isolation, and tenacity that Kennedy experienced. The film successful solidifies the lingering of Kennedy's melancholic face as a fleeting vision set across the 60s horizon, luminous and bruised at once, but enduring through history.
April 12, 2018
The film doesn't flow very well. Natalie Portman's portrait of Jackie Kennedy isn't convincing.
½ April 4, 2018
Oh, why aren't all first ladies this perfect?
JACKIE
I always had a soft spot for biopics, specially female-driven ones, as I find them fascinating to watch. From "Funny Girl" to "La Vie en Rose", "Elizabeth" to "Silkwood" or "Monster", there's something about women character's studies that trigger some indescribable absorption. Even when these films aren't that acclaimed by critics and general audiences being accused of relying too much on a great performance, I tend to disagree. One of my top 30 films of all time is "The Iron Lady" which combined the history of a figure I didn't know much about with the most unblemished performance of this century so far and, by proximity, a riveting entrance to a person's mind. Now, I feel that Jackie is being generally underrated, it isn't getting the attention it deserves. When it comes to the Oscars, besides the totally deserved noms for Costume Design, Actress and Original Score, I believe it should have been nominated for Production Design and Best Picture (Hidden Figures and Lion have nothing on it). Though the editing is flawed and it needs more polishing in the transitions between the 3 acts, Jackie is a character piece that seizes the best of an iconic personality. It's structure is captivating, the script is memorable and insightful (from the guy who wrote Allegiant and The Maze Runner???) and, specially the score is unimpaired, coming 3rd only to Moonlight and La La Land. And, of course we've got to talk about the elephant in the room: yes, the movie's primal anchor is Portman's performance. That woman is unreal. She isn't close to walking the thin line between impersonation and performance. She becomes Jackie in all her might and this is rarely achieved in movie history. We filmmakers play sometimes too freely with someone's famous persona but this is absolute on target, honoring Jackie as the heroine. Like "The Queen", the movie isn't about a tragic accident, it's about how someone reacts to it, while allowing us to fully understand where they come from. As we follow Jackie, alternating between stock and produced footage, we feel the emotional ride, we feel Jackie's pain, we sympathize with her and that makes it deeply moving (I cried once, I admit). Furthermore, this movie's geniality comes fractionally from the social context it's insert in. It has something pointful to say about our perception of public figures, as this movie manages to be a more realistic insight to Jackie than we ever got, because, as she says "The characters we read on the page end up being more real than the men who stand beside us". Camelot is exquisitely used to get this point across, as it serves as the perfect allegory for the construction of a legacy and the deconstruction of a person's emotional affairs. It's also relevant because, under President Trump, it's a great example of a foreign director having a try in Hollywood. We need this to happen more frequently: foreign directors bringing their take to an all American situation. That way we don't run the risk of being too patriotic (which us often felt in biopics of great American figures). Larraín doesn't have a shot of the American flag flapping in the wind, he keeps the focus on something even more American: Jackie O. Combining Hollywood production with offshore sensibilities is in the core of what always made cinema great. Lang, Murnau, Antonioni, Truffaut were all allowed to come to America to make their mark so we should always let borders open for the flow of foreign influences to, if anything else, have cool sounding names like Taika Waititi. Returning to the movie, Jackie is one of the best movies of the year and it affected me very deeply. It's a pyschodrama of eloquent proportions, one that does that rare job of briefly substituting the person with the actor.
½ April 3, 2018
To most, "Jackie" looks like a film solely made to win Oscars for its titular star and aesthetics but not for its depth. I would agree the costumes and production design are gorgeous and Natalie Portman is amazing but this film has a lot of heft to its story than expected. The film captures Jackie as she reflects to a reporter years after JFK's death about her short time in the White House and her planning of her husband's funeral. The story as enhanced by Portman's portrayal shows how complex Jackie was and how seriously she took on the role of ensuring her husband's legacy as being more than just the president with pretty face that was horrifically killed. For that matter, this film plays with the idea of what "dignity" means as Jackie fights for a proper, extravagant funeral fitting for the people's president while Peter Sarsgaard's Robert Kennedy foils Jackie at times wishing to keep the matter civil and restrained. Overall, "Jackie" is a fabulous historical drama capturing the multiple layers of who Jackie Kennedy was as well as her fight to justly give her husband the dignified send-off that only his mourning nation desired, but also what his legacy deserved.
½ March 31, 2018
Besides the great score, production and costume design, Jackie relies solely on Natalie Portman's talent, showcased here at its best.
March 29, 2018
Noah Oppenheim's sharply insightful script, peppered with memorable dialogues and buoyed by judicious injections of wit to perk up the sepulchral proceedings, is the strong launching board from which director Pablo Larrain deep-dives to essay a powerful odyssey of terminated ambition. The real-life story is one of twentieth century's most damning ones of personal apocalypse, all the more so because it reeked of vast systemic rot. President John F Kennedy of U.S.A, two years into his leadership in 1963, was assassinated by a sniper's bullet that tore through his brain as his open-top motorcade was passing through the crowds in Dallas, Texas. His exploded skull and floridly wounded head then lay on the lap of his wife Jacqueline Kennedy as the car proceeded to the hospital. The film, true to its name, focuses on her in the fresh aftermath of the incident.

Director Larrain is splendidly assisted in this haunting autopsy by two other story-tellers. Twenty-nine year old Mica Levi weaves brooding voluptuous magic with orchestral notes, composed inseparably into the movie's fibre. Larrain does not hesitate to dial up her music - the very first frames of Jackie walking in twilight, breathe in broad haunting strokes of decrescendo cello. Ms.Levi harvests that formidable instrument with key contributions of flute, powerfully, languidly and judiciously, with endlessly inventive variations. Days of Heaven", "I am Love" and now this film open another vital chapter of the textbook on how to use orchestra in film.

Frame after frame is simply beautiful to watch, an earth-bound heaven in pastel, with immaculately composed canvases by cinematographer Stephane Fontaine (cf. similar soft-tone beauty in his 'Elle' the same year). The White House interiors are ravishingly beautiful, covered smoothly in flowing takes as Jackie walks through it, the glowing expanses of white tastefully accentuated by elegant classical furniture. Exterior shots of the Port Hyannis mansion are exquisite in showing Massachussets countryside in autumn tranquility, and so also the the postcard-worthy vistas of trees and lake as Jackie confides in a priest.

Portman is indistinguishable from the persona she essays, a magnificent internalization that acting dreams are made of. Just like the real-life Jacqueline Kennedy, she's a bit stiff and formal while speaking publicly, and more direct and natural in private. Her hair is styled up into a bouffant, her wardrobe tres fashionable, the voice drawn out in a Southern affected drawl, and Portman's natural beauty matches the latter's prettiness. Jacqueline Kennedy had emerged as the most glamorous and adored First Lady the Americans ever had, a fashion icon even in the campaign days when her presence made her husband's popularity doubly soar, going on to splendidly redecorate the White House, and hosting glittering art events not witnessed before. But President John F Kennedy was a promiscuous man and his wife would have had to live with this ritual humiliation. When he died, how much of her grief was due to the loss of a beloved husband and what part due to the abrupt shortening of her legacy as an adored queen ? We see that Jacqueline is genuinely devastated, floating in and out of a fugue state even as she relentlessly battles to keep up appearances. It is in her interview with the journalist that we sense what truly was going in her mind. More @ Upnworld
½ March 25, 2018
Ok Jackie Kennedy historical movie with Natalie Portman.
½ March 18, 2018
The style of the movie--in its music, production design, and cinematography--is what makes it special.
March 17, 2018
Tender, fierce, uncompromising, honest and unflinching. Great performance from Portman. I was really impressed despite the all consuming melancholy.
March 4, 2018
Natalie Portman is very good, and it was great to see John Hurt again, but if I?d seen this in a cinema, I have to say I?d have been bored.
March 3, 2018
Beginning in "Camelot" and ending in a national tragedy, this emotional drama recreates the raw moments of Jackie Kennedy's life in the aftermath of JFK's assassination. Natalie Portman's spot-on portrayal earned her a Best Actress Oscar nomination for her performance as one of the most iconic First Ladies.
February 26, 2018
This was a really fascinating misfire. Natalie Portman gives a genuinely terrific performance as Jackie Kennedy but I wasn't familiar with how Jackie talked so I almost couldn't believe the voice she was doing and almost burst out laughing. I think the concept was interesting in that it focused around that White House Documentary she did. But for all the elements that they had, I'm not sure it came together in a cohesive way. It felt a little jumbled and unput together. It was as if someone asked Stanley Kubrick to put together a generic biopic and he did a half assed job ala Eyes Wide Shut. It's still an interesting product but there's something... missing.
February 22, 2018
Portman deserved the best actress for this film, Emma Stone was incredible but the depth and research for Jackie is beyond description. This is one of those inspired character studies that grabs you by the throat from the beginning, that film score is haunting. Larrain was the correct filmmaker for this film, his touches are all over the film, each choice is inspired and precise. This is actually a very good companion piece to JFK by Oliver Stone, but I won't let that distract me from the film at hand. I had put this film off for no good reason, it is incredible and largely ignored by the awards. Portman is at the height of her talents here and you won't be disappointed by the detail and care taken to bring us a film that showcases such a famous figure. 22/02/2018.
February 18, 2018
About a year ago, this movie was getting Best Picture buzz, but ended up coming short... and after seeing it, I can see why. It's a good movie, and effectively depicts what Jackie must really have been going through during the most harrowing and traumatic time of her life, but the film is a little too experimental for Oscar voters, who tend to prefer more traditional storytelling. Like so many biopics these days, it's not a biography, it's just a snapshot of a few "days in the life" of the famous Jackie Kennedy. The narrative is anything but linear, and you could definitely argue that there is more style than substance to this movie. Even so, I don't think that was to its detriment. The entire film has a dreamlike, ethereal quality to it, which coincides perfectly with Jackie's breathy voice and the idealistic illusion of what "Camelot" was. It really works. This movie got an Oscar nomination for its score, but I found the score to be the weirdest and most jarring thing about it. The music did not complement the scenes, and even distracted you from what was going on on-screen. Undoubtedly, the best thing this movie has going for it is Natalie Portman's tour de force performance in the titular role. She's so tiny compared to everyone else around her, but she is a monster on screen. I found myself enjoying this movie much more than I had expected. I didn't learn anything, historically speaking, but it gives you a broader perspective about that awful day in 1963.
February 1, 2018
Boring and disjointed. I understand it was probably done intentionally since it portrays the erraticism of grief, but it was a little too over the place for me. And this was nominated for Best Score? I thought the score was the worst part.
January 3, 2018
I believe there are many biography film of President John F. Kennedy assassination and this one is told in the perspective of the former first lady, Jackie Kennedy. There are lots of moments and dialogues are very interesting ( particularly a conversation between Jackie and the priest) and I was riveted the whole entire time. A terrific performance from Natalie Portman and cast, also interesting choice of the score in the film which I haven't heard from any other films. A great film to check it out if you have the chance!
½ December 19, 2017
Puntaje Original: 6.5

Jackie nos ofrece un increíble trabajo artístico; la dirección de fotografía es una de las más impecables del 2016, conectando directamente al espectador con la historia. En cuanto a la mezcla de sonido, por momentos no encuadra directamente con el desarrollo de la película, a pesar de tener a una buena banda sonora. La actuación de Natalie Portman es fenomenal.
December 10, 2017
Unele întreb?ri e mai bine s? r?mân? f?r? r?spunsuri.
½ December 9, 2017
A little slow and rambly at times, but the portrayal by Portman is absolutely superb. An interesting look at the JFK saga from another angle.
December 4, 2017
A well acted period piece with a near perfect performance from Natalie Portman,excellent visuals and excellent costumes. But its very depressing.