Jackie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jackie Reviews

March 28, 2017
I was looking quite forward to seeing this movie in the theater, and did not make it. I rented it from Amazon last night, and was sadly disappointed. I am a fan of Natalie Portman, and happen to think she does a pretty terrific job in just about everything she does. Except play Jackie Kennedy. She was simply awful in this role, and woefully miscast. This is not one of her shining moments as an actress. The voice was killing me. It was all I could take. She sounded a lot more like a poor attempt at a Marilyn Monroe wispy willow, than the more graceful but clearly distinct soft-spoken voice we have come to equate with Jackie O. This movie was simply a bad movie. The acting and the story line were not very well put together. I am so sorry to have offer such a scathing review, but, it was a very dull story.
½ March 28, 2017
Dark and fierce, the pacing of this movie is constant tension like the opening notes of the film. Natalie Portman shines as Jackie with a performance so uncanny it's like watching the real person. Each moment is tinged with the darkness but Portman shines through brilliantly.
March 28, 2017
An exclusive show time for Natalie Portman. She might want to extend her crown of best actress in the Oscars after Black Swan. Yes the atmosphere in Jackie is dark and heavy but her performance failed to capture the voters' heart unfortunately.
March 27, 2017
A tremendously directed and beautifully shot depiction of a difficult topic
March 27, 2017
I tried, but I just couldn't take it.
March 27, 2017
It's always tough to portray an actual historical figure, especially one still remembered by much of the audience. Natalie Portman gives it a decent try, but I don't think the script reveals anything new.
March 26, 2017
Very interesting story! Brilliantly acted!
Watched with my sister. Rewatch with someone interested like Mom. 3/25/17
March 26, 2017
kinda went back and forth throughout the movie. i trust that it honestly and accurately delves into jackie's mind but sometimes the movie fumbles around what it's trying to be, especially in jackie's more firm-handed interview moments.
½ March 25, 2017
boring in parts, but acting was good.
½ March 25, 2017
bad movie! slow, not interesting, poorly thought and the music is just annoying!
March 25, 2017
Depressing but a great film. Natalie Portman did a wonderful job playing Jackie Kennedy.
March 24, 2017
Imagine if Under the Skin was a political drama. Deals with the complexity of death, moving forward, American royalty, marital commitment, the media, and personal purpose with empathy and (yes) complexity. Portman made quite a decision in her portrayal, and I absolutely love it. She captures the shy sadness and dark royalty of Jackie O stunningly. The score is bold and perfect, fitting the normalcy of a family and a country being completely disassembled. Morose, unique, beautiful and spellbinding.
March 24, 2017
As usual Natalie Portman is amazing.
½ March 24, 2017
poorly written and dull you don't connect with the characters if it didn't have Natalie Portman it would not receive this hi of a rating
March 23, 2017
I saw this movie on an international flight, which arguably should have made me more tolerant of flaws, since there was time to kill. But I was still tempted all the way through to bail on the monotonously depressing story which centers around Jackie Kennedy's strategy to make JFK's funeral and history legendary after his execution. It's not that what she did wasn't interesting or brave - it's just that for 90 minutes, the tone, her mood and expressions, the ominous music... stayed the same all the way through. There were no twists, turns, ups or downs - and since I knew the story to begin with, I became so bored I couldn't wait for it to end.
March 23, 2017
What have i just watched? This was very bland and boring. The story had so much potential but I think the acting let it down. The costumes and sets were fantastic but must admit I don't know how Natalie Portman got nominated for an oscar with that performance
March 22, 2017
An absolutely incredible performance by Portman. A riveting screenplay from beginning to end.
March 21, 2017
Natalie Portman does an amazing performance! She really deserved best actress for this role
March 21, 2017
Jackie is an intimate and quietly harrowing biopic of one of the most pivotal and tragic moments in American history, seen through the eyes of the First Lady, with the film placing the audience in her world during the days immediately after the assassination of her husband, President John F Kennedy, in 1963.

In his English language debut, director Pablo Larrain delves deep into psyche of Jackie Onassis, showing a woman, known for her extraordinary dignity and poise, teetering on the brink as she fights to hold amid the horror of losing her husband and subsequent turmoil at the White House.

Larrain gathered together some impeccable talents to bring Jackie to life, including costume designer Madeline Fontaine who wonderfully recreated Jackie's trademark outfits, production designer Jean Rabasse who is near perfect in his recreations of the White House interiors and composer Mica Levi whose accompanying beautiful haunting and powerfully sparse score provides a melancholy pulse for the film.

Natalie Portman is spellbinding in Larrain's stunning portrayal giving the performance of a lifetime. Her Jackie is scattered, tense and wrecked, but defiant in the face of those who would prefer she hide away and grieve quietly.

The supporting cast is highly impressive, including Peter Sarsgaard as Bobby Kennedy, Greta Gerwig as loyal aide Nancy Tuckerman, Billy Crudup as a journalist writing a profile of the President for Time magazine and the late John Hurt as a priest attempting to guide JFK's widow through the worst of her black thoughts. But still this is Portman's film, which is no mere biopic but a fascinating study of a person whom history has transformed into an icon.
½ March 21, 2017
JFK has been assassinated and the First Lady (Natalie Portman) is left to pick up the pieces. We get to see what she must have been gone through.

I know nothing about the authenticity of this work but the movie looks good and it's always interesting to see the human side of the great historical figures. On this count, Jackie" delivers. All the doubts, fear, frailty and pettiness you can watch, and then some.

Portman gives a sharp nuanced performance and has a strong physical screen presence, especially for a widow broken down in grief and fear for the future.

There are a lot of good actors involved, including Billy Crudup, Peter Sarsgaard as RFK, Greta Gerwig, Billy Crudup, John Hurt, Richard E. Grant and John Carroll Lynch as Lyndon Johnson.

But don't expect a strong ensemble movie, it's all about Jackie. Everybody else falls to the sidelines, ready to serve or interact when the main character when screenplay says so. But the acting's impressive enough all around.

So, everything good so far. But somehow.. the whole result is not. Sorry to put it bluntly but it felt boring as fuck. All Oscar-hunt and no soul.

This is the most boring "good movie" I have watched since... well, two weeks or so, when I saw Martin Scorsese's "Silence".

The 99 minute movie feels much longer, mostly because of its pompous style and no readiness to delve deep into any of the characters, or the experience of being human in general, which the story is actually about.

The only time I really felt the experience truly coming alive for a moment was near the end, thanks to the great late John Hurt as priest councelling the First Lady.

Jackie" was nominated for 120 movie awards and won 53, mostly for Portman's acting work but some for music or costumes. There were one Golden Globe (Portman) and three Oscar (Portman, costumes, music) nominations but zero wins.

Portman gives a sharp and nuanced performance, worthy of all her awards, although I would have given Oscar to Isabelle Huppert in Elle", for even more exciting role. But the real winner was Emma Stone in La La Land" of course. You know, just saying.

"Jackie" is the kind of project which makes you doubt yourself as a movie lover. You see all the quality work on screen and wonder why actually you're not liking it more. It must be you, right, not being able to cherish all the good movies, right?

Well, no. All the competent acting or dark and ominous atmosphere inspired by Malick, Aronofsky or Shyamalan can't compensate for a movie having no soul.

So, where's the soul? Who knows. You can't always stay on the path with the heart just because you would like to. It goes to screenwriters and moviemakers too.