Jackie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jackie Reviews

½ September 17, 2017
Interesting to see this story now from the perspective of Mrs Kennedy. Worth watching. Really good performances.
½ September 16, 2017
it was a torturous to get through 1:30 of grieving. as beautiful and captivating as her Channel suit is, boy, does it wear you down. And even after it all I still do not understand all the mystique surrounding the Kennedys. Peter Saarsgaard & John Hurt for memorable perf. as Bobby & the priest.
September 16, 2017
Detailed and intimate. For me, it completes a cinematic study of a fascinating piece of American political history which I have now seen from every conceivable vantage/viewpoint.
Antonius Block
September 11, 2017
Ugh. What a disappointing movie this was. The storytelling is awful. The script, which has Jackie and Bobby saying ridiculous and vain things shortly after the assassination, alternates between inauthenticity and cliché. The movie's scope is so narrow - it's titled 'Jackie' but we learn very little about her, since it focuses on her redecoration of the White House and the assassination and its aftermath. That's it! And even then, director Pablo Larrain somehow manages to botch it. He gets Jackie's spirit wrong, and manages to take one of the most dramatic events in American history and make it feel melodramatic. He doesn't give us anything about the larger context of her life, Kennedy's Presidency, or America at the time, and even in trying to tell us what he does, inexplicably leaves out the indelible image of JKF Jr. saluting his father at the funeral.

As for the film's vaunted acting, I found Natalie Portman uninspired as Jackie, and Peter Sarsgaard insipid as Bobby. Neither comes close to pulling off what are admittedly difficult roles. The dialog between Jackie and the priest (John Hurt) is banal and cringe-inducing. The interview with reporter (Billy Crudup) is as well. I am loathe to write extreme reviews particularly when on this site you see maximum ratings for simply good or mediocre movies, or the reverse, decent films getting trashed. I am also into historical films such as this and frankly, normally adore Natalie Portman. And yet here I am, utterly annoyed and giving 'Jackie' an extremely low rating. This could (and should) have been a far, far better movie. How insulting to the Kennedys, and to history.
½ September 11, 2017
El primer largometraje de Larraín en USA desborda elegancia y tensión. Por primera vez desde la persectiva de Jackie Kennedy, aborda el asesinato de JFK, las horas previas y siguientes, mostrándonos a través de una entrevista el intenso personaje que fue la ex primera dama. Una actuación de Natalie Portman que pasará a la historia, en una cinta que quizás abusa de la tensión volviendo tediosa la cinta por momentos.
September 11, 2017
Natalie Portman does an exceptional job of her portrayal of Jackie Kennedy during the days leading up to and after the assassination of her husband. She has the look, the voice and the mannerisms of the lady she is trying to portray. The film however lacks substance. I wrongly believed this was a biopic of her life, instead, the time period covers 2 weeks around the Kennedy assassination as she struggles to cope with the events taking place around her while also maintaining public composure. I just didn't think there was enough to justify an entire movie based upon 2 weeks and therefore felt bored in places.
½ September 6, 2017
Jackie is directed by Pablo Larrain, and it stars Natalie Portman, Peter Sarsgaard, Billy Crudup, and John Hurt in a biographical drama about Jackie Kennedy's (Natalie Portman) aftermath from his husband's assassination, and what she wants to do as her last decisions from being in the White House. I'm curious about this for the director as I heard good things about this, and the fact that it's about JFK's wife which I never heard much of other then the clothes that she wears. So I managed to record it, and watched it, which was quite an interesting one. Natalie Portman is terrific in this that she's envisioning Jackie Kennedy very well, and many other actors are great in it also. The way it was filmed was quite interesting because it was trying very hard to make it look like it was from the 1960s, and with the clothes they were wearing and the recordings, really did feel like I was watching something that came out decades ago, but in a documentary way. I thought that the writing by Noah Oppenheim is well-written that kind of goes all over the place in three time pieces, but you're never confused of what's going on, and you understand why they go there. The characters are memorable, and the score by Mica Levi is very somber that sounds relaxing to listen during a horrible time. The one thing that surprised me, was how slow the pace is, which can easily bore some viewers off, and that was something that I needed to get used to at first, but then I was starting to get interested in what's going on. Jackie is a really great movie that pays respect to Jackie Kennedy's legacy.
September 6, 2017
It was obviously well made and Natalie Portman did a great job but it was very slow. The music was usually good but a few times it was kind of distracting. I don't recommend it to most people.
September 5, 2017
Thought Natalie Portman's acting was satirical - fake accent and exaggerated mouth movements. Very unpleasant to watch.
September 4, 2017
Excellent storyline. Natalie Portman did a fantastic job of bring Jackie's pain to life. It was very relatable and moving
September 4, 2017
Started this on a plane and just finished it this weekend. Given I had "bought" into the "Camelot" myth hook, line and sinker in high school, it was enlightening for the middle-aged me to see this version. Call it post modern, but its a "realistic" take on 'how the world really works". I really liked the scenes with the Irish Catholic priest, as well.
September 3, 2017
A great leading performance by Portman does not a movie make. The film is mostly lifeless and oddly split up to tell Jackie Kennedy's story. The interview section doesn't work very well, but neither does the weird White House commercial part. Nothing happens.
½ September 2, 2017
Great acting by Natalie Portman, but this movie was boring to me nearly put me to sleep. Its very slow and uninteresting telling a story thats been told a thousand times over only this time from a different perspective. The idea is great but it ends up being just as you expect and it is not exciting what so ever. i just cannot bring myself to like this film which i had such high hopes for only left me wondering what the big hype was other than the oscar nominated performance.
***SENTIMENTAL PORTRAIT OF A BYGONE ERA AND ITS QUINTESSENTIAL ICON***
½ September 2, 2017
It is certainly irresistible to get a window on the private Jacqueline Kennedy in the days after JFK'S assassination, and there is a certain charge in that. But the most voyeuristic moments in the film are the most unnecessary and therefore the weakest. The smallest moments are the best, and the very best of those all involve the late great John Hurt. Portman earns her nomination wholly but he owns every moment in which he appears. A real treat
September 2, 2017
Definitely an "Academy" movie. Natalie Portman was pretty amazing in this film, but I found it long, kind of boring...
September 2, 2017
Visually stunning piece. However, the visuals seem as if pulled from pages of a magazine, adding a sterile, somewhat cold, air to what should have been a riveting and heartwarming look at Jackie O. Perhaps this was purposely done in an attempt to capture the pristineness of Jackie O and the incredibly poised manner in which she conducted herself which ultimately somewhat remove the humanity from her. There is good acting but the movie is more a collage of conversations. This approach results in a lack of cohesiveness. Perhaps this is another reason why the movie fails to stir up emotions.
September 2, 2017
Portman commands the screen in a film of otherwise questionable technical and artistic skill.
September 1, 2017
Natalie really personified Jackie.What a performance
August 31, 2017
Both understated in terms of its narrative and powerful acting, Jackie solemnly entertains with a well-written, poignant story of loss and grief.