Japanese Story Reviews

½ November 19, 2007
Toni Collette is one of those hot old chicks that I can't say no to. The movie was fun, I like Aussie stuff. She makes a good Aussie with her bad teeth and leathery skin. Moral of the story: don't go swimming in Australia?
½ May 16, 2007
It's a very nice movie to get if you're in a foreign romance movie kinda mood. I didn't think the story in itself was amazing but it was worth the watch.
October 28, 2007
Love Japanese Horror, This was not a Horror flix in anyway, But I screamed as loud as any Horror Flix I ever saw, Pretty boring, not sure how it got on my rental list but will not be on my to buy list. Nice Australian scenes
April 4, 2007
Great drama and breathtaking views of the Australian desert landscape are compacted. Toni Collette now has a very beautiful sexy body in her brief naked scene since she was once little fat in Muriel's Wedding. She has never been better than as the abrasive geologist sparring with Tsunashima's shell-shocked visitor. Yes, that scene with her traumatised character still raises hairs on the neck.
February 15, 2010
A shocking and touching film. A very unique tale that is executed with a true genuine quality to it.
May 27, 2007
Astonishing, absolutely wonderful acting in this movie from Toni Collette (where was her Oscar nomination?). Sandy, a geologist in Australia, is given the seemingly thankless task of playing tour guide to a Japanese businessman (Gotaro Tsunashima) - a potential investor in her company - and immediately their cultures clash and communication problems arise. With a little time though, the two soon find themselves unexpectedly drawn to each other, as they journey through the beautiful Australian outback. I can't say too much more, which is unfortunate as I'm sure the above doesn't sound too fascinating, but believe me, this is a brilliant film. The movie switches genres - comedy, romance, survivalist drama, and more, and defies expectations as it progresses, without once feeling schizophrenic. The photography is beautiful, the editing is exceptional, and Collette skilfully, and sometimes without words, expresses every possible emotion at some point during the film. An obvious comparison might be Lost In Translation; this film is every bit as good, but I always root for the underdog so to me this is a much better film.
July 11, 2009
This movie had its momemts. For some reason, I really did not care about the characters except on the surface level. This film really was deep on an emotional scale...but it did not have any impact on me. Character development could have been better.
½ December 27, 2007
An absolute favorite!
½ October 18, 2007
Genuinely good film and not as dry as you would have thought.
October 20, 2013
This haunting and mesmerizing story of love begins rather deceptively as Sandy (Toni Collette), an Australian geologist, bitches to her boss about being tasked with overseeing Hiromitsu (Gotaro Tsunashima), a young Japanese executive who has no patience for anyone who doesn't bow and show a business card. But take him on the town she does, even holding his head when he's puking after an all night karaoke bender. She's even more irritated the next day when Hiromitsu demands she drive him into the Australian outback. Then they get stranded. As they endure the heat and cold the two bond and make peace over stories of her mother and his wife and kids. The two forge a bond that transcends language and culture. And then director Sue Brooks, from a script that sometimes spells it our for you too much by Alison Tilson, unleashes a huge surprise no review should give away.

Japanese Story, superbly shot by Ian Baker, is a film you breathe in. Tsunashima is outstanding and Collette turns in one of her finest screen hours, radiating palpable intensity that shakes you. She's the real deal.
January 30, 2009
jungle fever..two peopple from different life styles cause of race...this movie isn't campy though..it's serious and emotional.
½ June 28, 2008
this movie is so specific. just this one small event. a journey of sorts. but is oddly sweet and beautiful. and moving.
March 12, 2007
this movie made me cry cry cry! but don't worry...more towards the end...it has it's funny moments...and the one song played throughout the movie is gorgeous. Toni Collette is an outstanding actress.
½ August 17, 2007
The acting, scenery, and story were all great in this. I love Toni Collette. She did a great job in this, as well as her supporting actor. excellent, but sad.
½ August 3, 2015
A small movie with a big heart, anchored by Collette's monumental performance & stunning photography. A slow start gives way to shocking plot twist that propels the film's existential sensibility.
½ June 29, 2015
Really interesting story with one fine performance from Collette.
May 30, 2015
A powerful film about both the power and ultimately helpless nature of being human. Toni Collette and Gotaro Tsunashima offer painfully realistic performances that carry more weight that is not fully realized until the credits begin to role.
November 1, 2014
Slow-moving and a little odd.