Jaws Reviews

• 2d ago

While I appreciate the historical importance of this film I don't think it holds up to today's entertainment standards and I do not think it is one of the greatest films of all time. Director Steven Spielberg is of course famous for directing countless classic popcorn thrillers with Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) and Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) being among the films on his resume. This was the film that launched it all however as it was a smash hit, even earning a Best Picture nomination, after the minimal success of The Sugarland Express (1974). This is not one of my favorite films of 1975 as I prefer Nashville (1975) and Barry Lyndon (1975) but it was certainly the biggest financial hit of the summer. On the small island of Amity, hard-nosed police chief Martin Brody, Roy Scheider, begins investigating a case in which a local woman was killed by a shark. He is urged to suppress information about the attack due to the fear that it will hurt the local economy by cutting down the amount of tourism. The shark continues to attack people as tensions rise and Brody teams up with well educated shark hunting enthusiast Matt Hooper, Richard Dreyfuss. The public becomes interested in the case and professional hunter Quint, Robert Shaw, offers to kill the shark for payment. The men all head off together in an attempt to kill the shark and although they initially do not jell they eventually find common ground and are able to take down the shark. My biggest issue with almost all films of this type in which we are meant to delight in the gore produced by a vicious villain, in this case a shark, are that the humans being killed by them are lacking in dimension and are therefore very difficult to care about. It's not that Scheider, Dreyfuss and Shaw have not given fantastic performances in other films but they have so little work with here that it is hard to see them as characters worth investing in. I was unaffected by the sight of random teenagers being ravaged by a shark both because the sight was a little bit ridiculous and because I had no reason to care. At the end of the film I didn't feel like I knew who these characters were and the fact that they survived didn't make me feel triumphant in the way that it should have because they were just a collection of ideas rather than fully formed human beings we could relate to in their terror. The most appealing parts of the film come when we see them battle the shark as the score is magnificent, the sequence in which they try to capture the shark is well shot and some of the best lines pop up here. I would argue that the film doesn't do as good a job at setting up as it should as when comparing it to another film that fits into the horror genre and spends the majority of it's time building up suspense, The Shining (1980), I was utterly bored during the first half of the film. All of the technical elements of the film receive recognition and deservingly so because they are impressive now and would have been even more so in 1975 when it was so far ahead of most films of it's type being released. Had I seen this film in 1975 I would have been more impressed by it as entertainment of it's type would not have previously existed in the form that it does now and I would not have been able to anticipate all of the plot beats. Sure, the film still excites at some moments and it's special effects still stand out as being groundbreaking but I found myself bored more often than not and that left me with time to ponder the shortcomings of the film which lowered it's status in my mind. A film does suffer over time as even one as famous and acclaimed as this doesn't necessarily connect with audiences 44 years later who are so familiar with the media that it has inspired and for me I have to say that I was underwhelmed.

• 2d ago

Not a lot to say, except what most people say. IT'S A MASTERWORK! Perfect atmosphere, loveable characters, amazing score, great cinematography and nailbiting suspense from the iconic opening scene to the iconic ending. The shark may look fake still, but DAMN IT BITES!

• 2d ago

Possibly the most iconic film of all time. And also the most underrated.

Possibly the most iconic film of all time. And also the most underrated.

• Veronica
    5d ago

It was so much fun watching this movie on the big screen. My partner and I had a blast.

• 5d ago

A richly allegorical fable which takes the old tales from the sea and plops it into the modern newly-invented Summer blockbuster film. The small town of Amity grapples with what to do about a man-eating shark in the waters just off-shore. The mayor, sheriff, scientist and fisherman all have different ideas about what to do and then things get interesting.

• daisigirl
    6d ago

Great on the big screen!!

Great on the big screen!!

• Tayler 13 yoa
    Jul 16, 2019

My favorite movie is Jaws, so seeing it in theaters is an incredible opportunity. You will feel the suspense and the tension as you watch the shark terrorize the waters off of Amity island. Jaws is a summer blockbuster, a masterpiece, and a MUST WATCH in theaters, or at home.

• Jul 14, 2019

Chief Brody : " What's The Point In Hook's & Lines ? " Capt. Quint : " Well , You Lose One , You Rig One . " 'Nuff Said !

• Jul 13, 2019

A classic that inspired a lot of other films later. Spielberg crushed it with this one.

• Jul 11, 2019

Spelberg really did a great job on this, one of his greatest and the very first of his greatest.