Jennifer's Body - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jennifer's Body Reviews

½ February 12, 2018
A lackluster, ridiculous film that tries to subvert genre expectations but ultimately falls short.

When small town high-school student Jennifer is possessed by a hungry demon, she transitions from being "high-school evil" -- gorgeous (and doesn't she know it), stuck up and ultra-attitudinal -- to the real deal: evil/evil. The glittering beauty becomes a pale and sickly creature jonesing for a meaty snack, and guys who never stood a chance with the heartless babe, take on new luster in the light of Jennifer's insatiable appetite. Meanwhile, Jennifer's lifelong best friend Needy, long relegated to living in Jennifer's shadow, must step-up to protect the town's young men, including her nerdy boyfriend.

This is one of the few films where I read the screenplay before I saw the film. In my script analysis class, our teacher is friends with the director Karyn Kusama. Because of that relationship, we're able to get our hands on different drafts of all her work. It was interesting to read the screenplay first than watch the film after. Now my opinion on the film is different, but the whole process was really cool. I typically read the screenplays after I watch the film, but I had the pleasure of reading the screenplay beforehand.

Now in terms of how much I liked this film, I didn't. We've dissected the script and its themes and I think the concept is awesome. The underlying messages and motifs are so cool and the entire concept has potential. However, I genuinely don't see it in the execution and I strongly disliked this film. I didn't hate it, but it just got ridiculous. I think there were some cool, underlying ideas but it never got put into action. I think with any film, you can dissect it and find amazing things under the surface, but it doesn't justify how it was written or the execution.

I think this film was just cheesy and corny. No, it wasn't cheesy and corny in a way that was smart, it was cheesy and corny in a way that was cheap. It felt poorly written and not in touch with the setting. It was almost laughable how bad some of the lines were. Maybe that's because of the performers (who were fine by the way), but I don't think it was great writing. I was surprised at how many women were behind this script because when I originally read it, I thought otherwise. It doesn't really feel like a film that's empowering women in any way, rather just a ploy to target that demographic.

In the end, "Jennifer's Body" can be enjoyed by some, but it ultimately falls short in the goals it sets for itself.
January 25, 2018
Heathers + Lost Boys = Jennifer's Body ......and I love it!
½ January 23, 2018
Do you like horror movies? Do you like the layered and coded language of Clueless? Do you wish there was a more nuanced discussion of the roles of women in horror movies? Do you wish more movies explored the complex natures of female friendship? Would you enjoy seeing a woman get vengeance after a horrific violation of her person by devouring men?
If you answered yes to any of these question, this film may be for you. It is a surprisingly thoughtful film about the roles that women are cast in in both horror movies and in life. Megan Fox and Amanda Syfried are great as both best friends and rivals. They own their sexuality in ways that horror movies generally do not allow women to do. Sex in this movie is a weapon, a hindrance, and a joy, so much more than the "if you have sex you will die" trope in many classic horror films. The film has a surprisingly nuanced exploration of the virgin/whore dichotomy that I think tends to get overshadowed by how undeniably hot Megan Fox is. Jennifer's Body gets a lot of flack but I think it is a fun horror movie with an interesting and thoughtful take on the women who drive its plot through their friendship/rivalry.
I know it is probably not for everyone, but I really do believe that this film is worth giving a shot.
December 31, 2017
I like the concept a lot but the script, to me, wasn't structured and the concept wasn't fully exploited. There were good ideas but unfortunately they weren't exploited. The film is categorized in the horror genre but it's not scary at all. The character change (of the protagonist) doesn't appear on screen which leads to a very unsatisfying feeling. It felt a lot like if the production draft was the first draft of the script.
December 29, 2017
honestly one of the best (also silly and funny) horror/gore genres told from the teenage girl perspective. totally nuanced and accurate to a particular type of female friendship we often find ourselves in.... I think it is often misconstrued as a catfight, without comprehending the petty competition and yet deep love young teenage friendships can both maintain. Also the representation of lame, inconstant boys was particularly gratifying and funny. Many parts of this film I thought were truly genius and before the films time!
December 16, 2017
Totally underrated. The catchy yet annoyingly bad indie song written for the movie is on point. That alone earned this a better score. I am so confused about why this got such bad ratings. I know audience score is usually bad for horror movies, but the critics disappointed me on this one.
½ November 27, 2017
Jennifer?s Body is oddly a very safe movie. With such a quirky plot, this movie could have been so much more. And I think what aLso brings down this movie is the angsty tone and the bland characters. Overall, a cool idea for a plot but poorly executed.
November 4, 2017
It's an awesome movie with a nice sense of humor, comedy and horror. Loving Megan Fox, so hot.
October 26, 2017
Dumb horror movie starring Megan fox.
½ October 10, 2017
Despite some occasional cringing I had fun.
June 8, 2017
Megan Fox topless,What man doesn't want to see this??
½ June 2, 2017
Lmao what a bad movie
May 19, 2017
I legitimately don't understand why this has such a low rating. For all the critics who insist on horror having to be intellectual to be worth their time, there are so many social commentaries and clever undertones in this movie. Perhaps people just feel more comfortable looking down on beautiful creatures like Megan Fox, or maybe the critics and audience really are that repulsed by female themes in movies that aren't cookie-cutter. God forbid we talked about periods and dark desires instead of marrying Mr Grey or Mr Darcy. This horror touches on sisterhood, inter-female dependence, lesbian/bi undertones in female attachments, sacrifice, forms of imprisonment, social stigmas and pressures, jealousy, and just being a teenager. The pace is fast enough to keep you occupied, the acting is solid, the story is original... perhaps this movie suffers from the same responses as "Hard Candy" got - as soon as men are a specific target of violence, as opposed to women, suddenly it's "niche". I'm not saying people who don't like it are automatically sexist, I am definitely saying that I think this movie salts some wounds that people aren't realizing they haven't healed yet.
May 16, 2017
If you think this is basically the sequel to Juno with Satan involved, you are extremely incorrect. This is a pitch black comedy horror film. This is no lowbrow, screwball farce like Juno. While it's not as funny and the dialogue is not as slick, it's still a ridiculously fun guilty pleasure to watch. Amanda Seyfried is excellent, Megan Fox makes a wonderful transition and the plot is just so ridiculous. It's like Mean Girls combined with Twilight, if Twilight involved truly scary and bloody scenes. Worth a watch for sure.
April 16, 2017
Just watch Heathers...
½ March 15, 2017
Given the mediocre to bad reviews I expected so much less, but this is highly entertaining, self-aware, funny and pretty sexy, to be honest. It helps that the movie never takes itself too seriously, given the ridiculousness of the story that's the only way to go. The two leading ladies have a great chemistry together, Fox (usually not a big fan) seems to have been born for this role. Even the end credits leave you with a naughty grin on your face. Lighten up, this is actually shallow fun!
DrStrangeblog
½ February 15, 2017
The comedy works better than the whore in this fairly average hybrid. Megan fox gets top billing but Amanda Seyfried blows chalk dust in her face in terms of performance. A big detraction though from the sometimes funny script is the way they try to invent your own high school slang, with terms like "freaktard" and "giving me a wettie" clumsying up the dialogue. Favorite bit is the reasoning behind the band's decision to turn to the occult for career assistance.
February 4, 2017
This is one of my guilty pleasure movies. I can't say this is a good movie because there are a lot of things in it that don't quite work, and its satirical edges start to wear off toward the third act. But thanks to Diablo Cody's witty dialogue and Megan Fox's solid performance, "Jennifer's Body" manages to rise above the sea of mediocre horror comedies. It is oddly empowering and emotionally engaging, and I like the way it satirizes the conventional horror tropes with a little twist. I always have a good time watching this film.
½ February 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 31, 2017
Quite entertaining, but the tone of the movie can't quite decide on whether it should be scary or funny. That weighs down the entire film.