Jerichow Reviews

• May 28, 2016

It is to Christian Petzold's credit that over the course of his career he has so lovingly re-worked some American movies into films that manage to retain themes but modulate them into something altogether unique from the sources of origin. This is clever new take on "The Postman Always Rings Twice." I do not know for sure, but I would suspect Petzold is reworking the 1981 film remake than the original 1940's Film Noir or the infamous novel. The key is that it doesn't really matter. A Hollywood idea has been re-booted to serve as societal commentary regarding modern Germany. Everything from trying to regain footing after serving in a pointless war to attempting to lead a rewarding life without crime to the racism regarding immigrants and immigration -- all support the tawdry plot. Unlike Hollywood of the 1940's or 1980's -- this film is not consumed with eroticism. You may not notice it until after you step away, but this is actually an adult study of loneliness, isolation and the human need for hope. This film is not as stylized as one might expect, but it is surprisingly realistic and entertaining.

• Mar 27, 2015

This was a compelling movie that had me guessing until the end. The two German characters were great in the silent unhappiness they conveyed in their characters. When you watch two attractive people drawn together by sexual and emotional needs, it is understandable they would get together. In addition, these two characters are so much alike in every way. For me, the person who made the movie was the Turk-German character, Ali, played by Hilmi Sozer. He was the emotional glue that made this movie work. I was drawn to his portrayal of the character because of the complexities he had to face as an outsider. Ali was born in Turkey but grew up in Germany. He aspired for the things immigrants want living in a Western country but can't get away from his anger of not always being accepted. It was because of Mr. Sozer acting that made me really enjoy the film. Yes, both the male and female Germans were nice to look at and understood where they were coming from in terms of their troubled background. However, it was Mr. Sozer who carried the film. He made the character vulnerable which endeared him to me.

• Jan 21, 2014

I would certainly rather watch Postman simply because it is more exciting however Jerichow possibly has a greater sense of humanity and it is more applicable to this generation. Especially contemporary Germany.

• Oct 11, 2012

Vähän niinku keskimääräistä parempi tv-elokuva.

Vähän niinku keskimääräistä parempi tv-elokuva.

• Jul 02, 2011

Slow to the point of 1h30 min lasting as long as 3h. Was there a phrase or a scene in the movie that did not have a money value assigned to it?

• Jun 12, 2011

As a result of "dance" or because of loneliness......

As a result of "dance" or because of loneliness......

• Apr 27, 2011

Sans doute pas le meilleur film de son auteur mais toujours cette façon singulière de faire des thrillers. Toujours beaucoup de silence(s), d'ellipses, de travail d'imagination laisse au spectateur... Même si à la fin on se dit qu'on n'a pas necessairement vu grand chose se passer devant nos yeux, on a ete envoute. Du moins, c'est ce qui se passe pour moi devant chaque nouveau film de Christian Petzold.

• Feb 10, 2011

The Delivery Driver Only Honks Once.

The Delivery Driver Only Honks Once.

• Nov 28, 2010

Suspense crime drama love story all in one..good movie

Suspense crime drama love story all in one..good movie

• Cynthia S Super Reviewer
    Oct 14, 2010

Wow. This was really good. Excellent surprise ending. Its one of those movies where you root for the lovers to be together. By the time this movie ends, however, everything has been turned upside down and you are left feeling really bad for all of them. Nicely done movie.