Reviews

• Dec 30, 2021

Kevin Smith's least offensive movie sees Ben Affleck star as a publicist who after losing his wife during childbirth is forced to grow up himself and be a father to his little girl. Really sweet film peppered with humour and genuine emotions. Great cast includes some Smith regulars in small parts as well as great performances from George Carlin, Liv Tyler and Raquel Castro. I've always enjoyed this film.

• Nov 15, 2021

to this day it is the only Kevin Smith I would rate below 3 stars

to this day it is the only Kevin Smith I would rate below 3 stars

• Jul 16, 2021

A real victim of marketing, another classic Kevin film.

A real victim of marketing, another classic Kevin film.

• May 17, 2021

Jersey Girl - 7/10. Kevin Smith has built a career around making movies with characters that feel real and authentic. His style is making you connect with characters that feel like everyday people. In the case of Jersey Girl, its a splendid comedy drama based around a man living life post the death of his wife (Jennifer Lopez in a cameo) and taking care of his young daughter as a widowed man. Its a movie that is generic as they come, but the way Smith directed the movie makes it feel fresh and authentic. Its strange the movie didn't become a hit when it first came out, considering it had a star cast of Ben Affleck, Liv Tyler, George Carlin, Jason Biggs, Stephen Root and some memorable cameos from Matt Damon, Jason Lee, Will Smith, and JLO. It was Smith's biggest film to date, and to my surprise, it didn't do well at the box office. I guess people were so used to his more stoner/lazyman film characters and just didn't want to see him do a conventional drama. But its a shame that people didn't give a chance on this movie as it has a heart to it that very few films of this genre are able to show on screen. The first 30 minutes of the film are filled with devastating moments to Affleck's character, which really hits hard and makes you empathize with his character. Its this beginning portion that I like a lot, as it helps makes us want to root for him to having a more happier life. Affleck has some underrated acting scenes in this movie, and the scene where he breaks down in front of the baby crib is an excellent example of his acting range. He and Liv Tyler also show some amazing chemistry for the latter half of the film, with the two continuing their combo from Armageddon. Considering the movie is dedicated to Smith's father, you can tell that this film was a special project and was one done from the heart. Though some people deride it for its reliance towards convention, I personally loved it for that. Sometimes familiarity works when a director puts their heart and soul towards the story. In the case of this film, it makes me feel appreciative of the sacrifices that fathers and parents do in general for their children. Give this movie a watch!

• Jul 17, 2020

If this movie was released today (with updated music) it would be a huge hit. Perfectly cast and superb everything from acting to direction to production. The comedy written by Smith works better today than it did in 2004.

• Jun 28, 2020

Its really sweet but tame for a Smith film. Some really funny and emotional films.

• Jun 21, 2020

I like overly sentimental movies once in a while. All in all a really sweet movie

• May 21, 2020

I liked this film a lot more than I expected. The dialogue is, at times, witty and genuine. Affleck and Carlin are great. Plot was predictable and trite, but the performances made up for it. Worth watching if you run across it accidentally on a lazy Sunday.

• Apr 16, 2020

Good movie worth a watch

Good movie worth a watch

• Jan 27, 2020

You know this movie is extremely under rated. I think its one of the best movies of all time but history will tell. One thing about this movie which people did not notice, and I think it was the cause of its male fueled hatred. It is the first movie by a major studio with a A list actor that dealt with day to day single parent fatherhood. In fact the first one in history that I know of. Because of that it deserves to have 5 stars. Of course its not popular in a male driven chauvinistic critic culture. Shame on you bunch of jerks for undermining Kevin Smith for blazing a trail no one even knew needed blazing until modern times. You will always be a head of our time Mr. Smith.