Jerusalem - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jerusalem Reviews

September 28, 2016
Very good film and documentary with the photography really capturing that special feeling of the city
June 7, 2016
I have an extra ticket for tonight. Let me know if you want to join me.
December 28, 2015
Interesante documental que narra la historia de Jerusalén, o al-Quds, dependiendo como se mire. Explica de forma breve porque las tres religiones más grandes del planeta (islam, catolicismo y judaismo) se centran en esta pequeña ciudad y todo lo que ha pasado con los monumentos que allí se adoran. Buen resumen con espectaculares imágenes sobre este "fenómeno" de la humanidad.
½ December 17, 2015
Beautiful, condensed & vivid.
December 7, 2015
Some incredible visuals and educational to boot.
½ September 14, 2015
Interesting approach to tell the story.
However, I saw it in IMAX and the whole landscape in the film seemed distorted and it just was not the best way to see this film in my opinion.
I would love to see it again on a normal flat screen, to experience the cinematography and arial filming in the way that my mind and eyes can appreciate it, rather than have...concave view of the trees in my perifiral vision.
June 24, 2015
Whether you've been to Israel a number of times as I have, or never visited, this is a must see film. Outstanding cinematography, expertly written, thoughtfully engaging and hopeful. Do not miss it.
May 8, 2015
Having watched this at the California Science Center in Los Angeles, Jerusalem was less of a documentary and more of a flyby view of the area with a focus on three girls that each represent the major religions in the area - Islam, Christianity, and Judaism.

A striking feature of the film was that it was very beautiful in its cinematography, whether that be a top shot of the Western Wall to the street view of the different quarters in the city. What I also liked was the exploration of the city from the perspectives of the three girls since they brought their own views of the city and its highlights.

That being said, I do understand the accusation that the movie is a bit white-washed due to the fact that they do gloss over the underlying issues concerning Israel. That being said, I did like the cautiously hopeful message at the end of the film - one that wishes for mutual understanding and harmony between the three religions in Israel.

Overall, it's a beautiful film that brings an interesting perspective on this iconic city through its storytelling and the three girls leading the audience through their lives.
½ February 23, 2015
This 'documentary' is not really a documentary. It was more like a highfalutin, candy-coated idea of what Jerusalem ought to be according to the director and not what it is in actuality. It should be obvious to anyone with half a brain that Jerusalem isn't just this idealistic presentation that is being spoon-fed to the audience and unfortunately that's all it appears to indicate. I think I was being quite generous giving this two and a half stars.
December 30, 2014
Could of been better
December 28, 2014
Well presented "open minded" look at possibly the "holiest place" on earth.
March 23, 2014
I thought it was awesome
March 22, 2014
Daniel Ferguson's "JERUSALEM" is incredibly beautiful and informative!
March 18, 2014
Having had the chance to go to Jerusalem in 2013 I knew this was a film I had to see. The film takes you right back to all the sights, smells, culture and beautiful people that live in this incredible city. It is absolutely breathtaking and will give you goose bumps. Extremely well done and a must see.
January 25, 2014
Saw this movie on IMAX at the Canadian Museum of Civilization. I enjoyed seeing how the three religions (Muslims, Jews, Christians) can live in the same city. After watching this movie you can see how Jerusalem is the center of the universe.
January 11, 2014
and the title font used is.....
½ December 26, 2013
Opting for a sentimental approach as opposed to historical, Daniel Ferguson's Jerusalem misses the mark due to its nature as a lackluster cultural study, and absence of information and visuals of significant historical sites.
The biggest issue at play is that the film attempts to cover too much in too short of time. The film appears disjointed and confusing. In framing the documentary, Ferguson chose the perspective of the three major religions, told from the viewpoint of three women. As a result, too much time was spent analyzing the sociology of modern-day Jerusalem. What then falls on the back burner are the magnificent sites that receive hardly any screen presence or narration.
Even if a cultural study was Ferguson's goal, this expectation was not met. Routinely, traditions are brought up but quickly forgotten without adequate explanations. It is quite a shame the director spent three years on this project, and supposedly received permission to film sites never before filmed, because that was clearly not evident in the film itself. Perhaps if Ferguson would have used the historical sites instead of the personalities of the modern inhabitants of the city as his primary focal point, the film could have fared better. It instead felt like a cheap advertisement for diversity, asking for everyone to "just get along."
December 16, 2013
I had the opportunity to watch an early release of this film with my father in law. I was completely and utterly glued to the screen. Hooked for every second and for every frame. The footage of this film is unreal - it's absolutely breathtaking. The history and story lines throughout was especially grabbing as it was so delicately edited together. When the end came, I was in shock how quickly it flew by! It captured everything in such detail; I can finally see why so many people describe it as a place that when you go and visit, you fall in love with it. I'm an IMAX fanatic and I can safely say that this was the best IMAX film I've ever seen or experienced. Highly recommend for everyone; especially if you're curious about the history, culture and landscape of Jerusalem.
December 12, 2013
Great film! We loved it!
December 12, 2013
Took the whole family and loved it! Amazing cinematography!