Joan Rivers: A Piece Of Work - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Joan Rivers: A Piece Of Work Reviews

½ April 15, 2016
Joan Rivers entire life (her tough brashness atop her thin skin; her insecurity showing itself as malice; her constant workaholic-searching for something to fill the hole) can be summed up by one quote from this penetrating and often hilarious doc: "I just wanna be loved". You were and are, Joan.
½ September 9, 2015
The life of a comic is tough as it is for any comedienne but this is the perfect example of how ruthless the entertainment industry is on ageing women, no matter how legendary or how much they have already achieved. A pretty honest account of a year in the life of Rivers that plays too safely with her personal life. Was she hungry for work or was it the fame? No mercy from the film makers as they show her unquenchable thirst and dedication for one, the other, or maybe both. RIP darling!
May 1, 2015
Joan owned a swanky phone.
March 22, 2015
never a huge fan of her humour but admired her pace. poor thing was so scared to rest. a shame she lost her life "early" but she had nothing to be ashamed of.
½ January 21, 2015
Excelente documental que nos muestra la vida de esta mujer pionera en el "Stand Up Comedy" y que nunca paró de trabajar y de hacer reír con su brillante ingenio. Joan Rivers fue más que la "viejita" de "Fashion Police": ella fue una tormenta de talento.
January 11, 2015
Acid-tongued comedienne Joan Rivers invites viewers to spend a year with her, as she does the stand-up circuit, television appearances and attempts to kick-start her own show in the UK. There's lots of insight and vulnerability on offer here, elements needed to make someone otherwise distant engaging and likeable. A clever piece of work, indeed.
November 1, 2014
A Piece of Work made me wish I was more of a Joan Rivers fan when she was alive. She was awesome!
October 9, 2014
As a person who has never been a Joan Rivers fan, much less a Joan-and-Melissa Rivers fan, this documentary of a year in the life of the most irritating comedienne on the planet is surprisingly, uhm, UN-irritating. Joan is the most human I've ever seen her and, like the movie Comedian by Jerry Seinfeld showed, the makeup of a comedian is rooted in insecurity and a sad, self-loathing existence that they feel trapped in. I'd never related why we saw George Burns, Sid Caesar, Milton Berle, etc. continuing to publicly perform their comedy until near-death. We still see it in people like Don Rickles and, as is painfully displayed here, Joan Rivers. On one hand, the viewer has to admire her raw talent and endless drive, but on the other hand, one wants to just hug her and say, "uhm...go retire. Go do something you've always wanted to do." That's just it, though. She IS what she's created. And that IS what she wants to do, even as each year looks sadder and sadder. She owns her existence, though, and while even aware of its flaws, she continues to power through. If you've seen her honest dialogue with Louie this past season and was moved by the honesty of it, this documentary will blow you away.
October 8, 2014
In the wake of Joan Rivers' death, there has been a lot of controversy surrounding her legacy. Whether people are furious over her sometimes racist, misogynist, transphobic jokes, or happy to sing her praises for opening doors for female comedians, Joan Rivers has been a lot of things for a lot of people. This very eye opening and vulnerable portrayal of the comedy legend really leaves a lasting impression on you. While I didn't think the woman was completely invulnerable, I was unprepared for the stark contrast between her onstage persona and the woman seen in this documentary. Joan Rivers was giving, sweet hearted, and incredibly inappropriate in the best of ways. She took on a lot of stigma from her critics, she cared far too much about what people thought of her, and she was strong in the face of adversity and loss. As an entertainer, many people knew her and what she accomplished in life, but as a person no one really knew Joan like the people around her. This is a very good watch for those mourning, or who want to know the real Rivers, under the guise she donned.
October 7, 2014
Joan Rivers is the mix of sad and laughs.
October 5, 2014
Amazing lady!!! Amazing Business woman!! A Beautiful Lady!!!
½ September 29, 2014
Not only an amazing documentary about Joan Rivers, but also a great look at aging stars in Hollywood.
½ September 28, 2014
This documentary on Joan Rivers was raw and real and intriguing. She shows her true personality as well as her showbiz personality. We see some of her nightclub work which (for me) was a little too raw compared to her more censored TV persona - but that's a Joan that many others prefer. Like all of us, there is a good side and a not so good and somewhat troubled side of Joan but it's all there exposed for all to see. It's real, and I will say though some moments were a little uncomfortable to watch (such is life) above all, it was nice to see a woman at 75 who can still do what she wants, the way SHE wants to do it and still (though difficult at times) keep herself on top ...and love what she is doing.
September 22, 2014
Viewed after her death, it is very poignant.
September 12, 2014
A very compelling documentary that takes a good look at one year in the life of a workaholic diva of yore who was born to be in the spotlight, and it proves to be quite revealing not only about her need of stardom and recognition but also about show business itself.
½ September 12, 2014
It was very interesting to see the life of a legend where in today's world, many people don't know what made her legendary. I have garnered even more respect for the late Joan Rivers, although I wouldn't say i was thoroughly entertained.
½ September 8, 2014
Its very clear our main focus is flawwed but her quick sense of humor and honesty provides us a genuine look into one of funniest women of all time.
½ September 7, 2014
It's not for everyone. If being in show business appeals to you, this is a MUST see. One reviewer called this an "unvarnished documentary." That's exactly right. She was a very hard worker, and it becomes impossible not to respect her drive, her talent, and her humanity by the end of it. This movie is rated R for language, and it should be. There are lots of "I can't believe you just said that" moments in this film. And yes, most of it is really funny. The exchange with a heckler and her later reaction is worth the film.
September 7, 2014
It's hard to review this film, as for I have never been a huge fan of the comedian. But also in the recent light of her death, it adds a very bitter touch to a very well executed documentary. As a piece of work this is excellent, a very well thought out and executed piece of art. However, ironically, it is the stars struggling ability to stay relevant that adds the fuel to the fire of this doc, like her critics however, it also acts as a double edges sword and ends up making me do something else entirely. This film makes me loathe the woman. I'll accept that she paved the way for female comedians, i'll accept that, even though im not a fan of her work, she has made people laugh for decades. I will accept that this woman works her ass of in order to stay relevant, but her whole demenour, attitude and need for exotic lifestyle make me question this woman as a person. The story is pretty straight forward and old and struggling artist cant get any work, shes scared, shes angry and decides to put on a play at the fringe and on london's west end, about HER life in order to ignite her career. This is ultimately the core of the documentary and i'll give it kudos, it does this very well. It's well produced, it has all the relevant contributers. It's just i cannot stand this woman. I cant. Simply put, having to watch a film that documents her life was pretty aggrivating and at times tedious. Thank god the film makers behind it knew what they were doing, which made it bearable. Im sure for fans of her this is a power watch. For me however it just made me resent her more as an artist.
½ September 6, 2014
She was funny on stage but she was her own worst critic. A look behind her life behind the curtain.