Jodorowsky's Dune - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jodorowsky's Dune Reviews

October 10, 2017
If Jodorowsky got his chance to make Dune we would have a masterpiece on our hands but we do have a great documentary about him trying.
September 3, 2017
After Reading Herbert's Dune I had to watch Jodorowsky's Dune and wow.. Most crazy thing to learn was that I 'saw' most of the artwork it inspired already, through the reading of the Metabarons & the Incal. What a great & inspiring man. i hope one day they'll make this movie, in some form.
July 15, 2017
What a fun inspiration documentary. I really enjoyed it. Also, makes me wish this movie was made instead of the David Lynch version. And a buddy of mine edited it, so kudos. Good Concept, great execution.
June 12, 2017
Dune is one of my favorite books ever. I love the David Lynch movie even if he himself doesn't. Jodo's movie would've been a completely different animal than either the novel or the 1984 film. This was a talented group of people designing a world that was literally ahead if it's time. You will see movies from Star Wars to Prometheus that took designs and ideas from this almost verbatim.
½ April 2, 2017
Jodorowksy's passion is incredible and no matter what you think about his work, by the end of this film, you too will feel disppointed by the fact that it remained just a dream.
January 1, 2017
It would be nice to see this with proper subtitles.
½ November 30, 2016
Fascinating examination of how maverick art house director Alejandro Jodorowsky put together his extraordinary adaptation of Frank Herbert's sci-fi novel without bothering to read it. Instead he corralled an eclectic group of artists, musicians and actors (Salvador Dali, Orson Welles, H.R.Giger, Mick Jagger among them) and somewhat naively then expected every major Hollywood studio to finance his intended 12-hour epic. Jodorowsky himself is a charismatic optimist, and one ends up charmed and enthralled by his doomed vision.
July 6, 2016
Jodorowsky's Dune is one of the most fascinating stories in film development history without a doubt. With this documentary, much of the creative process and visual backbone for the film is fleshed out in gorgeous detail, with the viewer getting a fascinating, frustrating and inspiring look at one of the film and art industry's most enigmatic, bold and arrogant personalities. The results for the viewer are fairly excellent, properly outlining the pure creative value of what was made while highlighting the genius and insanity of what Jodorowsky attempted and failed to accomplish. The film properly expresses the depth and breadth of Jodorowsky's incredible vision while also outlining how his arrogance and lack of respect for the source material ultimately sunk the project. While Jodorowsky's completed work may have been visually striking, the film clearly illustrates just how little of the heart of the Dune story Jodorowsky actually latched on to. Ultimately Jodorowsky's Dune is the story of a brilliant, eccentric and aimless director who, as Amanda Lear suggested, may have been more jealous of Herbert's creation of Dune than he was passionate about adapting the work properly. Where the documentary stumbles is in it's clear admiration for Jodorowsky and what he perceives to be his achievements. Despite failing to bring together a coherent film and despite producing little public work, mostly displayed in the film as black and white comics (much of which is contained in a book of which only two copies exist apparently), Jodorowsky and Pavich are somehow under the impression that Jodorowsky is a driving force behind much of modern science fiction. Little credit in the film is given to the artists and designers, probably the most influential members of the team, nor to Kubrick, Lucas, Spielberg and Scott, early progenitors of the genre who had produced groundbreaking work before, during and after Jodorowsky's failed attempt. Many of the proposed progenitor type relationships are composed of unclear black and white rough sketches that prove little. Where clear similarity does exist, it is almost entirely in regards to the work of Giger and others, who have demonstrated clear styles entirely independent of Jodorowsky's influence and who went on to work directly with the films in question, creating a correlation/causation problem in addition to a cart before the horse issue that is never really addressed. With this in mind, one must wonder if Jodorowsky deserves the credit or if he was merely the lucky man to bumble all of his "spiritual warriors" into proximity with Dune, a world famous novel they had surely already encountered or would have shortly. The critiques leveled against many of the previously mentioned directors as well as the relatively minimal time spent on the truly incredible minds of Giger and others serve only to highlight Jodorowsky's arrogance and clear sense of self importance. Although his excitement and vision is infectious, the film ends on a low note because it can't bring itself back to the place where good documentaries belong, on the outside looking in on the entire frame of reference.
June 25, 2016
Super well researched and edit documentary - it actually has you looking for some of the elements from the unfinished work in every sci-fi you see hence.
½ June 5, 2016
The greatest film never made? In the 70s visionary avant garde director tries to bring an iconic sci-fi movie to life. He brings together an A+ group of people from artists to musicians and special effects guys to assemble what he hopes to be one of the most influential movies of all time. When you look a the cast he assembled, he was definitely on to something. Partway through the movie, you come to the realization why this movie had absolutely no chance in Hollywood: the director.

While he is incredibly charismatic and someone who you can tell lives and breathes his craft, he also is someone who isn't going to play by anyone's rules but his own to his own detriment. Had the film somehow was made, it might have been a cornerstone piece, but my guess is it would have been something that only film nerds 20 years later would even know about with how esoteric he was going to make it. Not to mention how much he blatantly says he wanted to change the story of Dune to his own liking.

I would have loved to see that movie if for only the curiosity of it. I feel like the film succeeded in shaping film as we know it as people who worked on this went on to bigger things like Alien and other classics.
May 26, 2016
Much of the difficulties of adapting Dune is that it's a complex and ambiguous novel. Thus you can't discredit the director for being ambitious, especially when the concepts are as wonderful as stepping into a dream. Many of the interviewee's words are not exaggerations, they are just as intellectual as the ideas brought forth. It gets heartbreaking when you see Jodorowsky breaks down at the dispersion of his vision, but wonderful to see much of his influence in later films, especially in the Star Wars movies.
½ May 19, 2016
Interesting enough, and Jodorowsky comes off as someone I could be boys with, even though I think he's a garbage filmmaker
May 15, 2016
I really dig documentaries about doomed movies. Very entertaining documentary, but it's easy to see why Jodorowsky never got funding for his movie. I'm also still not sure it would've translated to anything watchable, but it was worth a try. Back to the doc, really dug how it was assembled and loved Richard Stanley was a talking head in it.
May 11, 2016
Ain't it amusing that the documentary on Jodorowsky's potential DUNE was far better than the actual DUNE we got from a ball-clamped Lynch?
April 29, 2016
See great creative leader in action & where many iconic Sci-Fi came from.
½ April 21, 2016
Dang it. I want to see what Jodorowsky's version of Dune would have been :(
This doc was great.
½ April 13, 2016
Very entertaining movie. It's very good and sad at the same time.
April 3, 2016
A solid, thorough doc with an expressionistic flavor - perfect to give a visual taste of such a wildly expressionistic, visceral director as Jodorowsky and his incredible vision of his take on Dune.
I must admit that I have not, and am unwilling to see any of his actual films. The little bits shown here and the descriptions of events he has filmed are truly disturbing - violent, sexual, brutal and suggestive of terrible, immoral, reprehensible things.
The great thing here is that it is all suggested and not visually force-fed to you - glimpsed without being tortured by the process of creating fecal matter, etc.

Of course if you have the death-wish-need to see said films, I can only warn you here. This is still a free country, in case you must visit the darkest of presumed 'dark sides'.
Have at it, I guess.

So without the clutter of all his experimentations, you get to see his concepts, his spirituality, his brilliance of being creatively unfettered, and undeterred, THIS is what attracted my interest and attention.

Greater than the expressions of his work hinted at here is the encouragement given by Jodorowsky to take his hard-fought work, internalize it, and go create the things in your own mind and heart and will - make it happen.
A brilliant template for developing a life worth living.

I have a few ideas written down, and I need to go find a way to express them.
I'll be in the basement if anyone needs me..

5 cosmic winks out of 5
February 26, 2016
Dune could have been awesome with this documentary showing on how this would have been a pioneer to all Science Fiction films! Truly incredible