Joe Reviews

September 5, 2010
Two guys who hate everyone who's different from them finally take some action, violent action, and in the end begin to question their beliefs. This is a brilliant movie, and I highly recommend it. Plus, watch for Susan Sarandon in her first movie!
½ March 11, 2012
Granted, the character that Peter Boyle is given in "Joe" is an interesting one, but the film simply doesn't do enough with him. We just watch as he exists and spouts racist and homophobic lines with none of it ever leading anywhere. Norman Wexler's script is decidedly good, but would've made for a better movie under someone else's direction.
April 23, 2008
sometimes i find it hard to watch unlikable characters, but was told that this is one you had to stick with 'til the end. that sure was the truth. a good lesson in what hatred and bigotry can get ya.
½ May 10, 2013
96%

Hey Joe, where are you going with that gun in your hand?
"These goddamn nigger loving hippies, fucked up the music. If I ever get my hands on one of those little bastards...I'd kill 'em. They're getting away with murder, sex, drugs, pissing on America, fucking up the music. I'd like to kill one."-Joe Curran (Peter Boyle)
Powerful film, and the end is a jaw dropper.
March 6, 2013
R.I.P, Peter Boyle! xoxo
April 25, 2012
Pretty Boring movie takes forever to get anywhere,but has a great ending.
½ April 16, 2012
A wealthy man kills his daughters drug dealer boyfriend after she nearly dies from a drug overdose. He then befriends a racist blue collar worker. The tone and message of this film changed so drastically at different times that I wasn't sure I was gonna like it by the end. The finale explained it all. I liked it.
½ March 11, 2012
½ November 6, 2011
Curious time capsule. Coming after Bonnie and Clyde and Midnight Cowboy, but before ... well, most of the '70s, the film now seems like Mad Men's last season meets Archie Bunker meets Dragnet. Odd that it was marketed as a comedy. Cool seeing Susan Sarandon in her first film.
October 10, 2011
If you are only familiar with Peter Boyle from Everybody Loves Raymond you need to see him playing Joe when he was in his prime. This stands along side Taxi Driver as another great performance from him in a 70s classic. The performance of a young Susan Sarandon as Joe's daughter also adds an extra element of interest.
March 18, 2011
Hippies vs. conservatives, in this often hilarious blood-boiler. Easy Rider was good, this is better.
½ July 20, 2008
6.5/10. Good story, very well written with finee performances, especially Peter Boyle and K Callan, who plays his wife. Powerful ending, good pace. It's good to see Peter Boyle in a film that shows his acting range.