John Carter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

John Carter Reviews

½ February 22, 2017
This movie didn't deserve to bomb; it was a great Sci-Fi film and one of my best movies of 2012. The story is good, the characters are fun and likeable, acting is great (particularly Kitsch, Colins and Dafoe), the visuals are gourgous, the action is exhilarating, Michael Giacchino's score is beautiful to listen and overall this was a really good first attempt of adapting Edgar Rice Burroughs classic novel. I really hope we get another chance of watching this character on screen again and hopefully not by Disney and their stupid marketing team who were mostly to blame for this to bomb. See you in Barsoom people.
½ February 10, 2017
Reminds me a bit of Conan the Barbarian, if Conan was played by the guy who played Gambit in X-MEN Origins: Wolverine and set on Mars. Too long and a bit kooky for my taste. In the end it's a sci-fi movie turned into a sappy romance one. Yawn.
February 5, 2017
Beautifully rendered nonsense
January 29, 2017
So imagine a combination of these films water world, star wars 1-3, the time machine remake, gladiator, chronicles of riddick, prince of persia, flash Gordon, Aladdin and cowboys and aliens. You now have John Carter, but with a lack of a story that you can understand. Good on Disney for trying something completely different and out of their comfort zone.
January 22, 2017
this is a great movie. six stars. John Carter forever
January 21, 2017
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz..........
½ January 14, 2017
My god, this is terrible storytelling.
½ January 11, 2017
Having heard what a turd this was from what felt like the entirety of the interwebs, I was very pleasantly surprised by how fun it was, and the female lead is just gorgeous with the Martian spray tan, so what's not to love? The overall feeling of this left me feeling like it could have easily been the space-faring high adventure that something like Star Wars was to another generation, but it somehow never connected.

Worth a rental, give it a look.
½ January 2, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ December 21, 2016
Science Fiction before there was science fiction. Is a great story and told only as Disney can.
December 5, 2016
A different kind of sci-fi that mixes earth's timeline with Mars timeline. Interesting how the humans on Mars wear the same kind of clothes as the Greeks and Romans did several years ago. Some parts of this movie I did not like and were kind of boring.
½ November 22, 2016
I enjoyed this way more than I expected. Was a bit like star wars with the aliens on mars.
November 14, 2016
It was amazing. I don't know why people hated it do much.
½ November 12, 2016
okay i'll admit, there are some people who will defend this movie and say i'ts good. it's better then the star wars prequels that's one thing for sure. when it came to the characters and the plot, it was a mess. the idea is interesting. a guy wakes up a mars and has super strength and can jump really far, that's cool and intriguing but has been used before.

Owens grade: C+
November 6, 2016
Unfortunately, not the film we were all waiting for. My expectations were not very high but I still wanted to see a good movie. I did not get to see a good movie today, but not a bad one either.

Definitely the strongest elements of the film were the fantastic special effects. Almost everything, from the Tharks to the weird and vicious ape-like creatures, looked great. But all the work they put into the design of the film and getting half of the cast of Rome did not help them, because in the end, it was not enough for us to have a good movie.

I really liked James Purefoy and Ciaran Hinds. Especially Purefoy, who I think had a lot of fun with this film. At the opposite pole we have Lynn Collins, who played the role of Dejah Thoris. I didn't really like her and she did not express any emotion whatsoever. Taylor Kitsch didn't give a breakthrough performance but he was not bad at all in the film. He really tried to give it his best.

One of the main problems of the film was the script. I have not read the novel by Edgar Rice Burroughs but it seemed to me that there were a couple of plot holes. And above all that, the screenplay was straight out flat at some points. I got the impression that lines were thrown in just to cover a gap.

I don't want to give anybody the impression that this is a bad film, because it's not. If you're in the mood of seeing a science-fiction action movie, give this one a try, you might actually like. I just hope you'll like it more than I did.
October 20, 2016
A great sword and planet movie based on the novels by Edgar Rice Burroughs. It's poor performance at the box office is likely due to bad marketing, and because easily influenced critics jumped on the bashing bandwagon. I even saw some brain-dead critic complaining that it copied Star Wars (are you kidding me?!?!).
October 16, 2016
I don't know why this movie was such a box office failure. It has the impressive visuals and rich world building of the Star Wars movies, with plenty of great action with an interesting and unique story as well. It may not have the best lead actor, but the supporting actors were all great, including some strong performances from the motion capture actors as well. It's too bad this movie didn't perform well at the box office, as I would have loved to see a sequel. It may not be perfect, but it deserved a better reception than it got. It probably would have been better if Disney kept the original title "John Carter of Mars", as the shortened title probably hurt it. I feel bad for Andrew Stanton as he seemed really happy at finally being able to bring this idea to life, only to have it become a flop.

Personal Grade: A
Technical Score: 71%
October 11, 2016
This movie is the best movie I've seen in like 10 years
½ October 8, 2016
Un √ (C)trange m√ (C)lange de western, gladiateurs et sci-fi sur mars, oui oui ! J'ai bien aim√ (C).
October 5, 2016
John Carter had such potential, but just sags in the middle.