John Carter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

John Carter Reviews

January 6, 2018
Had some interesting ideas and cool creatures and environment, but man, that acting was as stiff as a board. I can't even figure out why they acted the way they did. It's like most of the characters were trying to purposely act awkward for 80% of the film, but didn't know why they were acting awkward. The best (and most believable) scene between two characters was with John Carter and one of the four-armed aliens. And that was when they couldn't understand each other!
I'm giving this one star, because the four-armed aliens and their culture were very interesting, but I don'y recommend watching this movie. Maybe just find a highlights video on youtube.
January 1, 2018
Excellent Movie, yet no sequel from Disney
December 25, 2017
Not sure why this flopped. Its a fun light hearted romp for the entire family. A civil war vet gets whisked away to Mars and goes on a wild adventure to save a princess. Pretty much everything you'd want in a movie. Probably a bit too long but otherwise great film
December 22, 2017
This movie is the best sci-fi movie ever it's based on Edgar Rice Burroughs first sci-fi story ever written Princess of Mars. That movie should make a sequels just like the books.
December 19, 2017
fun action adventure set on mars. Not sure why this didn't click with critics or audiences but it was a very enjoyable film especially for those looking for some old school action. John carter a civil war vet gets whisked away to mars where he suddenly finds himself with new powers (because of the lighter gravity). He ends up getting wrapped up in a save the princess plot but it largely feels natural and the romance unforced. The main problem is that the film is too long and they put too much plot into it. Could have been streamed line a lot
but still a great film for the whole family. Vastly superior to most comic book flicks.
December 19, 2017
Very entertaining. This will entertain all comic book fans. The movie draws you into the world with such good effects the (extremely) small writing mistakes are almost unnoticeable.
December 17, 2017
First thing to keep in mind, is that this should be titled "Princess of Mars". With all the princess movies, you'd think that wouldn't be a stretch for Disney to keep the title. But Disney executives and marketers can screw anything up in their effort to homogenize and brand. Enough of the Edgar Rice Burroughs original story shines through to make it a good and entertaining sci-fi fantasy flick. Special effects are great. Remember this story long predates Star Wars and comparisons of originality of this movie to Star Wars should go to Burroughs, not Lucas.

Much fresher than the second and third trilogies in Star Wars.
December 3, 2017
I liked it. Didn't expect a lot but was surprisingly amused.
December 2, 2017
The film is great entertainment. It's one that's fun to watch more than once. Good production values, fine cast, visually competent with images that do not bore. The weakest is script but I still give the film a thumbs up.
½ November 30, 2017
This film has great scenery and very good animation but it falls short in a few categories. To me the caracters seemed a bit flat. Despite that some of the caracters are interesting, especially Lynn Collins rendition of Dejah Thoras. The story itself was good but it easally could've had more depth and meaning behind it if the writing was better.
November 29, 2017
The biggest negative about this movie was apparently it's marketing. This film is definitely underrated.
November 24, 2017
Defies the laws of physics a bit more than it needed to, and seems to copy some of the style of Star Wars Phantom Menace, but otherwise this movie is easy to follow, entertaining, and has a good ending that satisfies.
½ November 20, 2017
much better than you would expect it to be, given the previews
½ November 19, 2017
It gets better every time.
½ November 9, 2017
Okay visuals, although at times bland, and a good running time despite the huge scope of the story. My biggest issues are all the unfinished story-lines at the end, the bad dialogue and Taylor Kitsch in the main role. He is fine in certain parts, but he never became believable to me as this character.
October 19, 2017
Well its no avatar but it's a fine film besides it's better then waterworld but has the star wars prequel guilty pleasure enjoyment to it.
October 17, 2017
I would like to say to the 'top critics'... Go home! you are drunk! John Carter is a great movie!
October 11, 2017
Loved it - esp. the scenes Taylor Kitsch and Lynn Collins - way underappreciated!
October 10, 2017
A rare entry into the Planetary Romance subgenre, and one well worth watching! John Carter's based on the precursor to all of 'em, it can seem familiar but that's because the novel literally invented half this stuff, and old or new, swordfights on an alien planet remain as fun as always. Carter gets my recommendation!
September 14, 2017
I loved this movie so much they definitely have to come out with a second one movies like this is very creative these kind of movies are very good movies to watch i highly recommend watching this movie