Jules and Jim Reviews

• Aug 16, 2020

About, oh, fifty years Jules and Jim was the selection for our University Film Club. The scene where Catherine runs ahead of Jules and Jim on a bridge has stayed with me over the years as the rest faded away. When I saw the movie just now, that scene still stands out and it is a metaphor for the relationships between all three. Catherine is always running ahead of them both, setting the pace, them never quite catching up with her. She is a willful, free spirit, first married to Jules, then to Jim, frustrating them both but neither lose their devotion to her while remaining best of friends to each other. Johnny C. sez check it out because it's a good 'un, but isn't so sure it's one of all-time greats.

• Jun 03, 2020

It's hard to tell why you care about these characters, but if I had to try I'd say that is because the movie is so direct that it shows right from the beginning who these characters are in relation to each other, and you see them live and struggle with their love until the ending which tears your heart apart, even if you were kind of expecting it and couldn't really think about a finer one

• Jan 17, 2020

I understand the importance of this film but unfortunately, I don't think it works great in today's times without understanding its premise. It starts with an exhilarating montage and interesting voice-over which narrates the story of two best friends Jules and Jim. The film spans over decades following their friendship which ends in the tragic note. The character build-up is not moment to moment but can come off as extremely unpredictable. Sometimes Truffaut chooses not to explain character motives and other times they talk with each other in endless long monologues with tremendous exposition and subtext. The french new wave techniques used in cinematography, editing, blocking are incredible. Montages are thrilling, use of changing aspect ratio is cool, voice-over is powerfully used. Martine Scorsese has stated the influence of Jules and Jim on the casino and many of his other films. Without a doubt its an extremely important film of those times but did it age well with time? I don't know.

• Apr 17, 2019

"Happiness can't be told, but it wears off without anyone noticing it." I'm not sure whether this is a most unconventional character study of a most unique psycho character, a cautionary tale about unrestrained, uncontrolled and boundless love, or just a story about a love triangle concerning two friends and an impulsive woman, as IMDb's plot summary says. But what I'm sure of is that this is one of the most extraordinarily original, and powerful films I've ever seen! The ending is just as, if not more, shocking and devastating as The 400 Blows'! The way Truffaut used War to switch the movie from a most charming, joyous and cheerful thing I've seen only before in Chaplin's silent comedies to a painful look at relentlessly whirling, troubled relationships is simply unprecedented and unsurpassable! Also, I can't believe that I hated Catherine more than I hated Amy Dunne! But as for Jeanne Moreau, she probably became one of my favorite actress ever after I've seen her prodigious acting abilities in The 400 Blows, La Notte and now in this movie. If only the movie was a bit shorter, and the pacing was a little faster.... (9/10)

• Mar 24, 2019

1st arts movie I saw. Very important to my life.

1st arts movie I saw. Very important to my life.

• Dec 27, 2018

Jules and Jim: A dissapointing new French wave film, hearld as a masterpiece. Francis Truffaut’s second film is to goofy and to boring to kickstart with dissapoiting narrative and characters.

• Feb 12, 2018

Truffaut's intellectually ambitious film -perhaps too much for its own good- is nevertheless highly satisfying on a cinematic approach and seems to have had a significant influence on Woody Allen's 'Vicky Christina Barcelona'.

• Dec 29, 2017

The first thing that strikes you about Jules and Jim is the exuberance (joie de vivre?) with which director Francois Truffaut endows the story. As in his first two films (The 400 Blows, 1959, and Shoot the Piano Player, 1960), Truffaut experiments with film technique, mixing and matching styles in a way that keeps the viewer interested and shows off what Raoul Coutard (cinematographer) could do. In fact, the first reel, detailing the relationship between best friends Jules and Jim (and the women they loved before they met Catherine) speeds by so fast, with so much cutting between anecdotes, that it is hard to keep up. Part of this may be due to the use of offscreen narration that fleshes out the story and reveals the characters' inner thoughts and feelings - there are a lot of subtitles to read! But once Jules (Oskar Werner) and Jim (Henri Serre) meet Catherine (Jeanne Moreau), the film slows a bit to better observe their melodramatic relations across the decades from just before WWI until some years after. I suppose it comes as no surprise that Truffaut takes the male point of view and treats Catherine and her willful ways as both an object of desire and the cause of suffering; perhaps it is a bit ambivalently sexist but Moreau is nothing if not empowered in the role. Yet, despite the exuberance, there is a profound melancholy at the core of the film - a yearning for a love that cannot be and perhaps an acknowledgement that it may be difficult for a free spirit to maintain a stable relationship with any one person, let alone two (or three), no matter how strong their passions sometimes are. Those around them can and do get burned. Ultimately, it isn't clear whether Truffaut is advocating the sort of compromises that most people make to keep their relationships alive or whether he sides with Catherine's unfettered approach. Perhaps, as the ending suggests, he knows that some candles burn much too brightly to last. Fortunately, this jewel of the French New Wave is ours to treasure forever.

• Oct 08, 2017

Jules and Jim is the story of an Austrian and a Frenchman who become best friends but both fall in love with the same woman. The friendship between the two guys was charming and I liked how they respected one another and did their best to be open and honest about the whole situation. They also touched on the idea of two friends on opposite sides of the war which could have been really cool. But we only hear about that part in voiceover. Catherine, the object of their affection, is one of the most infuriating characters ever captured on film. The fact that these guys put this much effort into being with her made me want to rip my hair out. The film fully invests in the idea that you can’t help who you fall in love with and that you’re bound like an idiot to that person you love no matter how horrible they behave. And there was no hiding the fact that people were completely unfaithful either. There was something about the way people behaved in Jules and Jim that didn’t make sense to me. It’s possible that there’s a cultural difference that I didn’t connect with, but I can’t count how many times I thought “Why are you doing that?!” The conclusion of the film was probably my biggest moment of confusion, because a character seemed clueless to what was obviously going to happen and just blindly followed. A combination of illogical behavior and annoying characters was enough to ruin this film for me..

• Aug 13, 2017

Fun--and bold. Jeanne Moreau, you were a great actress.

Fun--and bold. Jeanne Moreau, you were a great actress.