Kamikaze Girls Reviews

• Mar 21, 2017

A tale of friendship between two extremely opposite Japanese girls with funny and cute storytelling.

• Dec 20, 2015

A cult film and with very good reason. Although Kamikaze Girls may first come to most people's attention as a Japanese pop culture icon, it is much more then just that. The two cartoonishly opposite leads of; an attention grabbing biker girl and a border line sociopath obsessed only with cute clothes, are perfectly cast in Tsuchiya and Fukada. Their respective characters are then broken down to their core values and fears throughout the story. Nakashima's trademark imaginatively kinetic direction gets through the plot and character development with ease. The script serves up dashes of perfectly timed humour as well. This is a colourful and detailed film that is so much more clever than it's admittedly positive hype often suggests.

• Nov 24, 2015

A great cult classic. From the tackiness of the Yakuza jackets to the dreaminess of Baby, The Stars Shine Bright, this movie touches your heart and makes you laugh, cringe, and sigh at the same time. (also has a lot of gay subtext which is great)

• Robert B Super Reviewer
    Oct 03, 2015

Kamikaze Girls is a zany and silly comedy that works mainly on account of the dynamic between the two female leads. The film is different, refreshing, and worth a view.

• Jan 16, 2015

Kamikaze Girls (2004) Also known as Shimotsuma Monogatari This is kind of a really strange Japanese teen comedy about Momoko Ryugasaki (Kyoko Fukada) who loves the Rococco style and dresses as a Lolita (frilly little girl dresses). Her father (Hiroyuki Miyasako) is a failed Yakuza gangster who has moved them out of Tokyo and into a farm town in the western provinces in with his mother, where Momoko is the only Lolita in the small town. With no financial options, she tries to make a little money selling off her dad's counterfeit Versache apparel. This is how she meets Ichigo Shirayuri (Anna Tsuchiya) who is a wild biker girl (well not Bosozuku, she rides a motor scooter) and is a rebel Yanki. They wear long coats with stitching on it, blonde or orange hair and are rather loud and rude; the complete opposite of Momoko's Lolita style. Momoko embroiders onto Ichigo's jacket, and somehow they strike up a friendship and compliment each other.

• Sep 16, 2014

excelente! muy pero muy buena, me alegraste el martes

excelente! muy pero muy buena, me alegraste el martes

• Jun 18, 2014

Really enjoyed it, loved the mix of animation and live action.

Really enjoyed it, loved the mix of animation and live action.

• Jan 22, 2014

This was a film that;d been on my Netfux queue forever, and finally worked its way to the top, so I literally had no recollection of why I'd put it on the list in the first place, but man, what a fun movie. Filled with quirky characters and slick camerawork, this one is well worth tracking down and would be a definite purchase for me in the future. Recommended.

• Jul 08, 2013

I have a soft spot for Anna Tsuchiya. She does quite well in this film. It's pretty bonkers.

• May 12, 2013

Hilarious and wonderful. Visually imaginative, great acting and characters. The plot is slippery and sneaks up on you, if you're not paying attention or demand a 1-2-3 textbook arc you may not be happy. I thought it was very organic and satisfying and anyone who thought the movie was too slow just wasn't ready for this clash of styles and youthful sentiment. In particular the feeling of adolescent agony and self-doubt is done better here than in anything I've seen in 20 years; Anna Tsuchiya is a marvel and deserves a much wider audience.