King Kong - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

King Kong Reviews

August 15, 2017
One of the few times where I actually agree with the critics. lol 50% Audience Score? That's a joke.
August 12, 2017
So Underrated. Great Film
August 12, 2017
In my opinion, this is Peter Jackson's best. King Kong is an amazing movie with a considerably long length time, which is the perfect time to include everything this movie had to offer without making it seem to fast paced or to slow. Everything down to the details of Kong's chest hair seems to have been taken care of by the best in the movie industry, especially for 2005. For now, Peter Jackson's King Kong is my all time favorite movie.
August 11, 2017
A 3 hour movie about a gorilla. I know, right? While I was a bit restless when waiting to see the titular giant gorilla, when he makes his first appearance, the film remains an entertaining epic throughout. To hell with Kong: Skull Island, this is the real modern Kong flick. The special effects are amazing, even by 2005 standards. Andy Serkis pulls off another breathtaking motion-capture performance as the gorilla whom we nowadays consider to be Harambe's cousin. Serkis also plays a live-action character, and it helped keep me sane during the first hour of the movie, since Kong already appeared in the movie in a way. If only human Serkis and giant gorilla Serkis were in the same scene together for 2 or 3 minutes. It'd be like seeing double. I would've killed to see that. The performances are great. I don't know why people say that they find it weird to see Jack Black in a serious role. I think he does a terrific job. People love it when comedians do serious roles. Like Adam Sandler in Punch-Drunk Love or Jim Carrey in The Truman Show. Naomi Watts and Adrien Brody do great jobs of portraying Ann Darrow and Jack Driscoll, respectively as well and seem to have great romantic chemistry during the first hour of this movie which is basically a drama set on a ship being sailed by Fegelein, if you know what I mean. Some of the slow-motion feels unnecessary. It made me think "No wonder the movie's three hours long". The action sequences are amazing. Seeing Kong fight against three T-Rexes was one of the best action scenes I have ever seen in my entire life. And given how the CGI still holds up pretty well 12 years later, that's saying a lot. I might have to disagree with what the Audience Score on this movie says. They were probably just expecting another Lord of the Rings...but with a 25-foot gorilla. Never has a bond between a gorilla and a woman been so fascinating. It also focuses a bit on the themes of what showbiz can do to a person. Because of his financial desperation, Carl Denham resorted to animal cruelty by capturing a live Kong and taking him back to America...somehow so that he can appear as part of a Broadway act. Featuring blackface actors. Historical accuracy, y'all. All I can say is that I certainly prefer this King Kong movie over Skull Island, and that it manages to deliver despite somewhat slow pacing thanks to an exhaustingly overlong runtime with Andy Serkis pulling off another mesmerizing performance before he turned into a sentient, intelligent ape and a drunken CG Scottish captain around the same time ;). You did good, Peter Jackson, you did good. Now I just need the required amount of time so that I can finally watch The Lord of the Rings trilogy along with that of The Hobbit. I'm a film junkie, deal with it.
August 10, 2017
A bit overdrawn, Skull Island is no doubt visually stunning and admittedly entertaining despite lacking plot development.
August 10, 2017
The 1933 original KING KONG is by far my favorite movie of all time - not doubt or question about it. This is a sentiment that I believe I share with Peter Jackson.
His remake was taken on with such devotion to the original that one must appreciate his bringing the legend back to life.
This isn't just a movie. This is flat out worship of what I see as the greatest movie ever made, King Kong 1933!!!!!
August 6, 2017
About 45 minutes too long, but great nonetheless.
August 3, 2017
My favorite movie of all time.
August 1, 2017
Bad casting, acts that just drag, and too much focus on effects, trying to make some parts feel like deleted scenes from one of the original Jurassic Park Films.
½ July 27, 2017
A decent remake of Peter Jackson's flick
½ July 23, 2017
Probably Peter Jackson's most underrated film. An epic, loving remake that goes into story, world and character depth not even the original film delved in. Sure to thrill the least cynical movie-goers. Besides, any film that makes you shed a tear for a giant ape is automatically a great movie in my book.
July 21, 2017
Awesome movie jack black was great
July 16, 2017
I think this is almost as good as the original
½ July 16, 2017
130124 & 170717: The poor special effects still show themselves from time to time but overall, I really liked King Kong (2005) upon this viewing. This is an action packed, violent and dark movie. Though it might seem a bit slow at times, the action brings you right back to attention and the action is frequent nearing midpoint on. The version I watched this time around was the Extended Cut and I must say I liked it. More monsters and more death. This film is not for the timid. I now see why this film scared my son so the first time he watched it.
½ July 3, 2017
The best remake of the 21st century.
A film made by a passionate auter who clearly has great admiration and respect for the original. Peter Jackson has taken the original 1930s classic and chosen to expand upon the legend. Turning one of the greatest monster movies of all time into one of the greatest movie epics ever put to screen, Peter Jackson has done something truly extraordinary. Jackson manages to give the titular giant ape monster both a heart and a soul by utilizing both the magic of motion capture technology and the talents of one of this century's finest actors: Andy Serkis. The soulful connection that forms between him and Naomi Watts' Ann Darrow is ultimately the beating heart of this movie. Aside from Ann and Kong's beautifully tragic relationship, the movie is fulled by heart-pounding adventure, breathtaking special effects (most of which still hold up over a decade later), and Jackson's seemingly effortless ability to create a fresh spectacle out of already groundbreaking material. Please check this movie out if you haven't already.
I stand by what I said: this is the single greatest movie remake of the new millennium.
½ June 27, 2017
For the most part the visuals are good but at times it got bad. This movie was way to long and because of that I found myself getting bored.

5.2/10
June 27, 2017
Record breaking director steps up to bring you his next biggest blockbuster, with great cinematography and music. It might not match up with the classic but it is better than other remakes in terms of plot and acting.
June 27, 2017
A truly epic remake from a talented director, with great performances, beautiful visual effects, and great emotional power. It is even better than the 1976 version.
June 26, 2017
Good fx that's about it ??soooooo boring .