Klute - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Klute Reviews

½ August 7, 2016
Justly famous dark mystery

This justly famous film by Alan Pakula (The Parallax View, Sophie's Choice, All the President's men) ostensibly starring a very young Donald Sutherland as a small town cop turned private investigator who searches for a missing friend in big bad NYC would have qualified as a well-made but standard hard-boiled mystery if it were not for the stellar performance of Jane Fonda as the call girl whose help he enlists for his search, which lifts it into the category of a classic: rarely in film has a performance let us know a character so thoroughly. Advisory: drug use and language, scary but not too graphic violence, sex rather restrained by current standards. The Warner Home Video standard DVD is of good quality, but this film really should be remastered and put on Blu-Ray.
June 13, 2016
Klute, a private investigator, investigates a prostitute who is being stalked by a john in this classic thriller. Sutherland stars as the title character in what is his most memorable performance of his career.
½ June 9, 2016
Jane Fonda's magnetic performance and Alan Pakula's grip for suspense overcomes occasional clichés.
October 28, 2015
Klute may be an exciting and noirish thriller; however, its astoundingly unrelenting and intelligent investigation into politics of gender and sexuality elevate the film to a far more harrowing level. In a sprawling web of gazes, Jane Fonda provides a nuanced defiance, both as character and actress, that forces the viewer to grapple with the devastation of misogyny, voyeurism, and intimacy.
August 16, 2015
decent but way too slow in its pacing, its high praise is undeserved
½ May 30, 2015
Though very dated, Alan J. Pakula's movie remains a creepy and uncomfortably menacingly intensely paranoid thriller. Jane Fonda's performance is powerful in its realistic mixture of fragility disguised by a false sense of power. And Donald Sutherland's work is a potent and casually deceptive deconstruction of the typical masculine hero. The film remains validity for being a strong reflection of the sexually and ethically confused era it seeks to capture.
May 19, 2015
This film stands the test of time, although somewhat flawed in pace, and structure. Fonda gives an excellent performance as a goddamn whore.
½ April 5, 2015
Alan J. Pakula is one of my favorite directors.
April 4, 2015
Fonda is the reason to see this, in a performance - and a character - that is confident, dynamic, occasionally frightened, occasionally VERY sexy, volatile, and gives a lot in those psychology sessions that are basically to the camera/us. Sutherland is very good as well, though he has the trickier role as he has to downplay everything as the straightforward cop. The final monologue is gripping and intense from the villain, and yet it's one of those handful of villain monologues that really not just hold up over time, but show up so many others in its wake. It's terrifying in how simple the actor speaks the words and Fonda listens. Cool 70's period as well. I wish the plot were just a little stronger, but as a film that relies on its characters it fares quite well.

And Roy Scheider as a pimp. Chief Brody as a pimp. Need I say more? 3 1/2-outta-4 hair-dos
½ April 2, 2015
You gave me a great deal of pleasure.

A private detective from a small town follows a lead to the city. His investigation leads him to a prostitute in the middle of a giant prostitution network. She can have over 400 clients a year. The detective believes a violent client of hers may be tied to his case. The detective and prostitutes relationship becomes complex and so does the case.

"Are you upset because you didn't make me cum? I never cum on the job."

Alan Pakula, director of All the President's Men, The Pelican Brief, Presumed Innocent, Sophie's Choice, Orphan's, Rollover, and Consenting Adults, delivers Klute. The storyline for this picture is just okay and unfolds in a predictable manner. There are some unique references and good writing, but the plot is just okay. The cast delivers solid performances and includes Donald Sutherland, Jane Fonda, Roy Schneider, Dorothy Tristan, and Charles Cioffi.

"Let it all hang out. Do it all. Fuck it."

I came across this on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and decided to give it a shot. The movie has some fascinating elements that are well done. The acting is also very good which is why this received an above average score. The plot is predictable but fairly well executed.

"I wish I didn't keep wanting to destroy it."

Grade: B-
½ March 28, 2015
Easily could have been a typical thriller- vulnerable woman, private detective saves the day just as the villian finishes monologing. But Klute is only half thriller, and half emotional drama. Some parts I found completely scary, due both to great shots and a genuine investment in the characters. I think what makes it a great movie is that it allowed Jane Fonda's character to be the center. That let it handle the subject of violence against women in a more nuanced light. Her character was very human and while she clearly had deep issues, it really gave a sense of the vulnerability inherent to love.
March 23, 2015
Intelligence. I suppose that's the word. In "Klute" you don't have two attractive acting vacuums reciting speeches at each other. With Fonda and Sutherland, you have actors who understand and sympathize with their characters, and you have a vehicle worthy of that sort of intelligence. So the fact that the thriller stuff doesn't always work isn't so important.
March 13, 2015
Couldn't finish this, Jane Fonda is just too much of a fake male fantasy for me to bear. She was clearly in the throws of being Vadim's "Zombie" at this time...
February 24, 2015
Great performances from Jane Fonda, who won her first Oscar for this, and Donald Sutherland. Great screenplay, score, and cinematography.
½ February 21, 2015
Pretty Woman meets Taxi Driver with a tour-de-force performance by Jane Fonda.
February 21, 2015
As a movie it hits all the right notes and an exceptional performance from Fonda. Though i wouldn't call it a great suspense/ thriller
February 13, 2015
extremely well acted, socially powerful, and incredibly tense, a true classic
February 8, 2015
Both Jane Fonda and Donald Sutherland are at the top of their games in this brilliant thriller from the 1970s. Fonda plays the role of Bree Daniels, an intelligent but emotionally damaged prostitute who is playing an unwitting role in the disappearance of a businessman. Sutherland takes the role of John Klute, the seemingly cold and dispassionate private detective investigating the case. For both actors, I think that this is probably one of their best movies and Alan J. Pakula directs with a believably naturalistic touch. Fonda in particular is amazing, whether she is in a scene with her tricks or her psychologist, she is captivating and wholly believable in this complex role. The supporting cast have little to do as this film is almost a two-hander although Roy Scheider has a nice role as Bree's former boyfriend and pimp. As the villain of the piece is given away fairly early on, in true Columbo style, this not much of a "whodunnit" but manages to be a suspenseful and taught psychological thriller. In particular, the climactic scene where Fonda comes face to face with the killer is skilfully handled. Set in New York, the city looks as it was in the 70s, a complete collision between glamour and grime and the story makes the best of these settings and the high fashion looks of the era. Klute neither looks nor feels dated unlike many films of this age and remains a well made and brilliantly directed movie, rightly something of a classic of this genre.
January 20, 2015
WOW.....WOW.....WOW.....WOW....WOW....THRILLING.....AMAZING.....GENIUS.....FANTASTIC......BRILLIANT.....I have just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this Is such a great movie 2 watch......its got a good cast of actors/actresses throughout this movie.....I think that jane fonda, Donald Sutherland, roy scheider, Charles cioffi, play good roles/parts throughout this movie......I think that the director of this drama/romance/mystery/suspens/classics movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie.....

Klute is the first installment of what informally came to be known as Pakula's "paranoia trilogy". The other two films in the trilogy are The Parallax View (1974) and All The President's Men (1976).

The film includes a cameo appearance by Warhol superstars actress Candy Darling, and another by All in the Family costar Jean Stapleton. The music was composed by Michael Small.

Jane Fonda won the Academy Award for Best Actress for her role in the film.

Critical reception

Klute received generally positive reviews from film critics. It currently holds a 96% approval rating on the review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes based on 28 reviews with an average rating of 8.1/10.

Jane Fonda received worldwide recognition based on her performance. "[Fonda] makes all the right choices, from the mechanics of her walk and her voice inflection to the penetration of the girl's raging psyche. It is a rare performance.". She won an Oscar for Best Actress in a Leading Role and the film was nominated for Best Writing, Story and Screenplay Based on Factual Material or Material Not Previously Published or Produced. Fonda also received awards for her performance from the New York Film Critics Circle, Kansas City Film Critics Circle and the National Society of Film Critics.

man this is such a gripping movie 2 watch, I think that the director keeps you on the edge's of your seats throughout this movie as you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie......I think that this is such a thrilling movie 2 watch, its got good fight scenes throughout this movie.....I think that this is such a gripping movie 2 watch, I think that this is such a thrilling enjoyable classics movie 2 watch, man this is such a fantastic movie 2 watch, its got a great story line throughout this movie.....man this is such a brilliant movie 2 watch......
January 20, 2015
Thriller policial con una atmòsfera sòrdida pero a la vez muy cuidada , destaca Jane Fonda en el papel de prostituta que le valiò un oscar.