Klute - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Klute Reviews

August 8, 2017
Top-notch paranoid thriller in the truly Hitchcockian mold, anchored by an earth-shaking performance from Jane Fonda.
July 10, 2017
With two great leads, a thoroughly engrossing and tense plot, a solid score, plenty of visual style and a decent supporting cast this may not have the best script (though it does have its moments) or the best pacing but it is an early seventies gem.
June 14, 2017
A great time capsule of the 70's. Never grows old. The hair styles, clothes, music, etc. all blend together, inside the sublime acting///editing.
April 23, 2017
Well made but too boring
½ March 31, 2017
Fonda's best performance? Probably. She truly gives everything as Bree. The movie itself makes it difficult for you to take your eyes off screen. And that score! That score adds so much more terror to the film.
½ August 7, 2016
Justly famous dark mystery

This justly famous film by Alan Pakula (The Parallax View, Sophie's Choice, All the President's men) ostensibly starring a very young Donald Sutherland as a small town cop turned private investigator who searches for a missing friend in big bad NYC would have qualified as a well-made but standard hard-boiled mystery if it were not for the stellar performance of Jane Fonda as the call girl whose help he enlists for his search, which lifts it into the category of a classic: rarely in film has a performance let us know a character so thoroughly. Advisory: drug use and language, scary but not too graphic violence, sex rather restrained by current standards. The Warner Home Video standard DVD is of good quality, but this film really should be remastered and put on Blu-Ray.
June 13, 2016
Klute, a private investigator, investigates a prostitute who is being stalked by a john in this classic thriller. Sutherland stars as the title character in what is his most memorable performance of his career.
½ June 9, 2016
Jane Fonda's magnetic performance and Alan Pakula's grip for suspense overcomes occasional clichés.
October 28, 2015
Klute may be an exciting and noirish thriller; however, its astoundingly unrelenting and intelligent investigation into politics of gender and sexuality elevate the film to a far more harrowing level. In a sprawling web of gazes, Jane Fonda provides a nuanced defiance, both as character and actress, that forces the viewer to grapple with the devastation of misogyny, voyeurism, and intimacy.
August 16, 2015
decent but way too slow in its pacing, its high praise is undeserved
½ May 30, 2015
Though very dated, Alan J. Pakula's movie remains a creepy and uncomfortably menacingly intensely paranoid thriller. Jane Fonda's performance is powerful in its realistic mixture of fragility disguised by a false sense of power. And Donald Sutherland's work is a potent and casually deceptive deconstruction of the typical masculine hero. The film remains validity for being a strong reflection of the sexually and ethically confused era it seeks to capture.
May 19, 2015
This film stands the test of time, although somewhat flawed in pace, and structure. Fonda gives an excellent performance as a goddamn whore.
½ April 5, 2015
Alan J. Pakula is one of my favorite directors.
April 4, 2015
Fonda is the reason to see this, in a performance - and a character - that is confident, dynamic, occasionally frightened, occasionally VERY sexy, volatile, and gives a lot in those psychology sessions that are basically to the camera/us. Sutherland is very good as well, though he has the trickier role as he has to downplay everything as the straightforward cop. The final monologue is gripping and intense from the villain, and yet it's one of those handful of villain monologues that really not just hold up over time, but show up so many others in its wake. It's terrifying in how simple the actor speaks the words and Fonda listens. Cool 70's period as well. I wish the plot were just a little stronger, but as a film that relies on its characters it fares quite well.

And Roy Scheider as a pimp. Chief Brody as a pimp. Need I say more? 3 1/2-outta-4 hair-dos
½ April 2, 2015
You gave me a great deal of pleasure.

A private detective from a small town follows a lead to the city. His investigation leads him to a prostitute in the middle of a giant prostitution network. She can have over 400 clients a year. The detective believes a violent client of hers may be tied to his case. The detective and prostitutes relationship becomes complex and so does the case.

"Are you upset because you didn't make me cum? I never cum on the job."

Alan Pakula, director of All the President's Men, The Pelican Brief, Presumed Innocent, Sophie's Choice, Orphan's, Rollover, and Consenting Adults, delivers Klute. The storyline for this picture is just okay and unfolds in a predictable manner. There are some unique references and good writing, but the plot is just okay. The cast delivers solid performances and includes Donald Sutherland, Jane Fonda, Roy Schneider, Dorothy Tristan, and Charles Cioffi.

"Let it all hang out. Do it all. Fuck it."

I came across this on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and decided to give it a shot. The movie has some fascinating elements that are well done. The acting is also very good which is why this received an above average score. The plot is predictable but fairly well executed.

"I wish I didn't keep wanting to destroy it."

Grade: B-
½ March 28, 2015
Easily could have been a typical thriller- vulnerable woman, private detective saves the day just as the villian finishes monologing. But Klute is only half thriller, and half emotional drama. Some parts I found completely scary, due both to great shots and a genuine investment in the characters. I think what makes it a great movie is that it allowed Jane Fonda's character to be the center. That let it handle the subject of violence against women in a more nuanced light. Her character was very human and while she clearly had deep issues, it really gave a sense of the vulnerability inherent to love.
March 23, 2015
Intelligence. I suppose that's the word. In "Klute" you don't have two attractive acting vacuums reciting speeches at each other. With Fonda and Sutherland, you have actors who understand and sympathize with their characters, and you have a vehicle worthy of that sort of intelligence. So the fact that the thriller stuff doesn't always work isn't so important.
March 13, 2015
Couldn't finish this, Jane Fonda is just too much of a fake male fantasy for me to bear. She was clearly in the throws of being Vadim's "Zombie" at this time...
February 24, 2015
Great performances from Jane Fonda, who won her first Oscar for this, and Donald Sutherland. Great screenplay, score, and cinematography.
½ February 21, 2015
Pretty Woman meets Taxi Driver with a tour-de-force performance by Jane Fonda.