Kong: Skull Island - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kong: Skull Island Reviews

½ August 22, 2017
A group of scientists discover an island full of monsters minding its own business in the South Pacific, so they go and drop a bunch of bombs on it. Then they get killed by monsters.
August 21, 2017
Much better than I anticipated. Worth a renting.
August 21, 2017
This was an awesome movie. The action was great, and John C Riley was awesome in this movie.
August 21, 2017
Definitely one of the stupidest king Kong movies. They tried to be funny but they weren't. They tried to be scary but it wasn't. It started off like it might be good but as soon as they got to the island the stupidity started. Just wasn't good at all.
August 21, 2017
Kong skull Island was the first ever Kong movie I'd sawed theaters. to my expectations were none because I didn't know what to think. my professional is Godzilla more than Kong even though I'd grown up watching the 1933 film; same way I'd watch Jurassic park. but to my surprise Kong is not only a good but good bless it the film is freaking huge and massive.
to describe it is like watching lion king for the first time on the big screen, when you the background imagery and scars paw coming down it is huge. its all thanks to the great cinematography, and visual aid the movie gives, like when you first see Kong he is big and powerful and the movie takes full advantage of it. he's throwing rocks, trees playing around with the helicopters like a 2 year, which Ironically he is just a kid. Kong practically throws god right in your face.
what makes this all work out is what the movie is. Compared to Godzilla 2014, Kong is Man vs. nature flick where as Godzilla is natural disaster/nature oriented flick with a monster in it but even then the monster or "monsters" are either nature or a pure natural disaster. Kong has that same format which is why I'd like the Humans characters not just because their interesting, but because their soldiers that got of a war "Vietnam," and are going into another one which is nature, and nature is unforgiving. Even when can injure kong nature does not out without a fight.

Though their is an issue with that and its the story. Not because its bad but its lacking, Kong has the same problem that the marvel universe is that the story is kind of lacking, mainly because the movie is not about story but more focuses on the character dilemma, which you may think is good and it is but when in a nature or natural disaster oriented film that should be second of third wheel. What made Godzilla work wasn't because it had actually had good narrative and storyline similar to Spielberg films but the narrative knew what was the focus and that is nature. the Idea of Godzilla was that we thought that the main characters were big fish when literally their nothing more than arrogant egotistical fools. we thought that Godzilla came save us when literally he was just getting rid of a species that has been competitively invasive to his own so he deemed them as a threat. whats going is nature is throwing down with its self in order to "restore Balance" as Serizawa said and man kind is at the mercy of it all. that why they used the nuke because it was the thing they had and they arrogantly thought it would solve everything like with the Ford destroying the nest; when that would backfired or delay the looming threat not stop it. Godzilla made a strong story line about how sometimes when man interferes with nature whether he is helping it or not can actually make it worse then ever.
Kong had this theme but it wasn't one of the main focuses but end becoming more of a survival nature film, with an man vs nature side as well followed by fun characters; it kind of felt like pacific rim in a way. Though It did successfully help set up the monster verse very well, which is the reason why I'd love the marvel approach they went with. the monsters had great designs; especially the skull crawler, I'd like the reptilian snake like feel and look along with the skull shaped design where like the muto's from Godzilla gave them an almost otherworldly feel.
So yeah I really like this film it had really great potential, awesome effects and cinematography, fun interesting characters, and a good reboot on the lore of King Kong. Does it have problem yeah the story is the big one, but that doesn't effect what the movie is and does it very well not as good as Godzilla 2014, but does leave some ideas for the sequel as long as they go with what Gareth and the 1954 classic toho had in store then it turn up fine or great. if you what a good survival nature flick with an interesting scenario and characters then Kong is something to pound your chest to.
August 20, 2017
Kong has pretty stellar visuals, animation, and monster design. But its positive traits start to fall off after that. Even the talented cast wasn't able to pull much together - with the only performance adding value to the film for me being that of John C. Reilly.
August 20, 2017
They got kong right.
August 19, 2017
Not worth checking out,it has terrible characters "besides Kong of course" with one dimensional dialogue that keeps trying to shove it's terrible comedy down your throat, it also try's to be a war movie every chance it has, so it feels cinematic, but in the end it feels lazy.
August 19, 2017
There were aspects of this that felt a little off, but at its center I appreciated the basic story and some of the characters.
August 19, 2017
A perfect monster movie with a top-notch cast and some great effects. Kong: Skull Island is set during the last days of the Vietnam war and has a nice period feel. When a grainy satellite image shows the location of a legendary island John Goodman heads up a team sent to investigate what is to be found there and confirm a theory about the Earth being hollow. What they find is a domain of giant creatures ruled over and protected by Kong, the great ape. This film ignores the previous Kong tales so we don't get the same climatic "Beauty and the Beast" battle in New York. Instead we have Samuel L Jackson as an unstable US soldier bent on killing the giant ape going head to head with Tom Hiddleston and his team who realise that the death of the giant will unleash a host of monsters to rampage, unchecked across the planet. Action packed and fast paced, this is an exciting reboot of a monster flick that promises future sequels where we will hopefully see more iconic beasts from cinema history resurrected to threaten the globe. Do watch all the way until after the closing credits for the tease of what is to come. I can't wait!
½ August 19, 2017
What do you get when you cross a lazy script with an over-eager self proclaimed Hipster director, who literally rushes into each scene handing paper-thin characters bad lines in the styling show of the usual Left vs Right, no middle ground ideology? Kong: Skull Island. There's so much wasted potential, John C Reilly tries his best to spice up this turkey, but no cigar. Unfortunately when you're more worried about visuals, mostly ripped right out of frames from Apocolyose Now, instead of making a truly compelling film, you get another useless 'popcorn flick' blockbuster that was saved by a heavy interest from a foreign country.
½ August 19, 2017
Average! Good action!
August 18, 2017
This was the best King Kong movie I've ever seen. It had just the right amount of nostalgia and was nearly perfect otherwise. It's a shame it got lost at the box office.
½ August 18, 2017
Great computer graphic of the kong. Definitely great to see this film in this era. The story is interesting enough to worth watching.
August 17, 2017
Was really looking forward to this movie but I found it to be a real let down 100% dissapointment
August 17, 2017
With impressive CGI and a well paced story, Kong: Skull Island is an extremely entertaining film.
Best Kong movie ever!
½ August 15, 2017
The biggest issue with the film is its characters. Outside of Samuel L. Jackson's character, John Goodman's character, and Marlowe, the stranded pilot, nobody was interesting. I can't even remember anyone's names, outside of Marlow and Chapman, and the last one was only because they kept talking about him.

Besides Goodman and Jackson's characters, nobody there had a clear motive for being there. The squad followed Jackson's character, but that's it. Tom Hiddleston's character had no reason to be there, neither did Brie Larson's character. Actually, her character was the worst offender for the group. At least Hiddleston was hired! She just sort of went along to be the token female character.

As I said earlier, none of the characters were interesting outside of Marlowe. He was the only one we got invested in, and hoped made it out alive. Everyone else we either didn't care about, or wished would die. With a monster movie like Kong (or Godzilla), the Human characters HAVE to be interesting, investing, and/or entertaining. They are the meat of the movie and the ones we have to relate to. Marlowe was the ONLY character who managed to fit the criteria. Everyone else was bland and boring.

Hell, they included a Chinese woman to be a biologist to have a diverse cast, and she didn't DO anything! You can count the number of her lines on one hand!

As for the monsters themselves, even they were a bit of a letdown. Kong fights two little Skullcrawlers, a squid, and the big daddy of Skullcrawlers, and that's it. Outside of the 'crawlers and the buffalo, we only see one of each monster. On an island supposedly FULL of them. (And while I'm personally glad there was only one spider, as an arachnophobic, others won't be)

For a film taking place on Skull Island, you don't see much of the island or its diverse population. Four Skullcrawlers, two buffalo (maybe three if the dead one isn't one of the previous two), one spider, one bug-thing, one squid, and Kong. That's it. On the whole island.

This film was toted as revealing the origins of Kong and advertised as exploring Skull Island much more than before, but that doesn't happen. Marlowe talked about Kong's parents being killed by Skullcrawlers, and while we see the two groups travel the island, not much comes from it.

The film itself feels like a prequel or setup to Legendary's Godzilla vs King Kong in 2020, instead of a King Kong movie. Godzilla even hijacks it in the after-credits scene, and judging from everybody's reactions on the internet, that scene is the ONLY thing they remember from the film. If the after-credits scene overshadows the whole film, you messed up somewhere.

Overall, the film is slightly above average. If you're curious to see Kong again (and NOT as a giant silver-back gorilla. Yes I went there), then go see Kong: Skull Island. But don't expect any likable characters from it other than Marlowe. You'd be forgiven if he's the only reason you watch the movie.
½ August 15, 2017
A 3-star movie, until the last 10 minutes when Kong is fully unleashed. An extra half star for those 10 minutes alone.