Kong: Skull Island - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kong: Skull Island Reviews

May 28, 2017
Better than expected. I was into it.
½ May 28, 2017
Don't expect much and you'll be right on target.
½ May 28, 2017
Boring characters in a highly entertaining and action-packed film.
May 28, 2017
Gets STRAIGHT to the point! Simple story with excellent visuals and action. It's clear that Kong stars and conquers all here. Don't get it twisted though he has some co stars in here with him. Great entertaining movie that will be great to watch on blu ray.
May 28, 2017
Kong: Skull Island is purely an action movie with undoubtedly impressive setpieces and beautiful use of special effects and CGI; it also contains massive improvements over its Godzilla predecessor, even when it still has the useless humans that no one cares about.
May 27, 2017
Loved that King was in it so much. Was a relief they didn't hide him. His fight scenes were great.
May 27, 2017
Fun film! Another rare instance when critics and fans agree! Worth seeing!
*My overly thought thoughts on Kong: Skull Island :p*

As I stood at the box office, debating whether I wanted to watch Beauty and the Beast or Kong: Skull Island, I did something I seldom do. I bought a ticket to watch a movie I had not informed myself on.

You see, I usually research who was the director, writer, cinematographer, editor, and producers (in that order) of a movie before watching it. After doing this on a typical Sunday, I usually pick what movies I am going to watch throughout the week. In this instance, I did none of that. Instead, I allowed myself to be swayed by Tom Hiddleston‚??s soft eyes. Did I say Tom Hiddleston? I meant Brie Larson *ahem*.
Thus, I researched the crew who made Kong: Skull Island on my phone as I made my way 8 steps up and 9 seats in to the seat that practically has my butt engraved on it by now. Then it happened.

IT HAPPENED.

After finally informing myself on the production of the movie, I found out why King Kong was brought back and who was behind it. I spat out my Dr. Pepper after nearly choking to death and tried to claw my way out of the theater. Too late. The film had begun and I suffer from a weird habit that disallows me to leave a movie I started unseen. I was in to see Kong as envisioned by the same heretics who made the 2014 garbage that was Godzilla.

What I saw was no upgrade. Gone are the Academy Award visual effects that Peter Jackson surrounded King Kong with. Instead, the movie made Kong appear like the ugly plush gorilla a child threw away and its back for vengeance. The movie was shot in Hawaii and Vietnam. But I don‚??t feel that justifies trying to make the shots look like the ugly cousin of Apocalypse Now or Miss Saigon. The editing is almost insulting. The editor oddly focused on creating visual comedy rather than suspense or awe. I will say, some shots are done very well. For instance, there is a shot in which Samuel L. Jackson‚??s character hatefully looks at Kong as his soldiers scramble in fear (that‚??s what you get for sending soldiers and not Marines GOT ‚??EMMMM) and it does a stellar job at presenting the hate that will fuel his character arc the rest of the movie.

Unfortunately, the writing is underwhelming so none of that hate I mention will manifest into anything worth your time. None of the characters are intriguing in any way, shape, or form. In fact, they are the painfully cliched characters: the ex military, the scientists, and the pretty girl. This is upsetting because the movie does not lack a talented cast. However, none are used to their potential, not even Academy Award winner Brie Larson. They all play choppy characters, none of which have an interesting backstory or real reason to be there. Actually, now that I recall, nobody has a reason to be in Skull Island. The reason given at the beginning of the movie was ‚??let‚??s go to the island before Russia does.‚??

However, none of this pains me more than the writing of King Kong‚??s character. The essence of Kong is that he is a misunderstood beast. He has feelings and he is not just an average chest-thumping gorilla. And that is all he is in this adaptation. He is nothing but a big monkey that goes and beats up other big animals. In Peter Jackson‚??s adaptation, there is a relationship between Naomi Watts and Kong that allows the audience to feel for Kong. Here, Brie Larson‚??s character touches Kong‚??s face. Once. And that automatically changes the whole direction of the movie. Preposterous is what it is.

This being said, I enjoyed John C. Reilly‚??s character. A lot. He plays a WWII veteran who has been stranded in the island after crash landing there during the war. His acting was actually phenomenal and he was very entertaining. Was there a reason for his character to exist though? Nope. He‚??s just John C. Reilly doing John C. Reilly things.

Overall, I would not recommend this movie. But if you are a masochist who enjoyed the 2014 adaptation of Godzilla or just likes seeing big CGI things beat up other big CGI things, this is your movie. My review though: 1/4.
May 27, 2017
Went into this movie not expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised when it was really good. Very cool take on Kong, and amazing action. Also using the expanded universe formula in an appropriate way, not rushing it but not taking it too slow.
May 27, 2017
It was amazing the visual effects were beautiful it was funny I was highly entertained!
May 27, 2017
Jurassic Park without the rides and with really big, misunderstood, monkey. Throw reality out the door and don't ask where they got the gasoline for the boat/plane, and you'll enjoy.
May 26, 2017
good movie not the best though
May 26, 2017
WHAT I LIKED: I do certainly hold some love for 'Kong: Skull Island,' as it's a film sprinkled with more quirky and individual elements than you may expect from a blockbuster of this scale. Yes for one, the story is clearly crafted to explore a couple of timely ideas; working as a backdrop for everything that is discussed every now and then by the script to bring its underlying messages to the surface. The joy of that though is that it's done in a way that makes you smile as it's almost flippant and self-aware, and that vibe is something you get from the whole film; a bubbling undertone of something slightly more as director Jordan Vogt-Roberts enjoys teasing and playing with the audience. Luckily on the surface too, he brings plenty more individual charm with the visuals, occasional jokes and the equally suggestive soundtrack.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: With all of that in place, it's exceedingly frustrating that it actually relies more on the standard blockbuster side of things than it does on anything else, as it fails to properly delve into its charming elements and ideas, and crucially forgets about its characters too. Yes despite a great cast, none of them are able to peg a remotely investing character, as they're each given very little exploration, and actually spend the majority of their time talking about how they're going to get off the island. The irony of that is that we know our leads will all be fine, so it's almost biting time, and all the cool stuff consequently feels like an unnecessary diversion. Of course you may not be worried about that if the investment was strong enough, but the fact these weak characters keep going on about it only drives home the feeling all the more.
VERDICT: Whilst there is some quirky, cool and intelligent stuff here; in the end, 'Kong: Skull Island' winds up a pretty average blockbuster with very few engaging elements at all.
May 26, 2017
Shot really beautiful - and highlights how shitty humanity is
May 26, 2017
This movie is so bad in many aspects.
½ May 25, 2017
An entertaining movie with some funny dialogue. The special effects are pretty good.
May 25, 2017
This was such a fun Kong film! Kong is definitely king!
½ May 25, 2017
More entertaining than I expected it to be.
May 25, 2017
Solid movie and introduction to the "Monster-Verse" where Godzilla will share the screen down the road. Tom Hiddleston plays the leads very role and I feel that Samuel L. Jackson gave a truly underrated performance in this film (kind of a Patton-esque figure who needs war in his life).
May 24, 2017
Visually appealing, stuffed with strong acting (though the film doesn't flesh out it's secondary characters well), and tons of action, the film is extremely enjoyable. The film profits greatly from it's Vietnam war parallels and setting and giving it's female lead more to do than the typical Hollywood blockbuster.