Kong: Skull Island - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kong: Skull Island Reviews

March 25, 2017
Good action popcorn flick... nice tribute.
½ March 25, 2017
A fun film that makes no apologies.
March 25, 2017
King Kong was made to stand erect, sprint like a man and not beat his chest as much as we'd like. It felt like the producers lost the primal attractiveness of Kong by making him too human and yet paradoxically failed to deliver on his most human trait; his romantic tenderness towards the lead female. A bit of fun carnage but mostly not as memorable as previous endeavors.
March 25, 2017
I think this will be a great movie!!!!!
March 25, 2017
I loved this way more than i should have! I saw it in IMAX 3D, and it was worth every penny. I'm a sucker for big budget blockbusters, but this was more thrilling than anyone i have seen in a while! The effects were really great, and i loved how they also had other creatures there as well, and not just kong. I thought all of the characters were well developed except for Hiddleston and Larson, but the movie did so much right that i can't bring myself to bring it down even half a star. Just amazing.
½ March 25, 2017
THIS is how a Kong film should be made! SUPER well done and shouldn't be missed!!
March 25, 2017
just a big fun action movie
March 25, 2017
I really liked the movie super interesting from the beginning to end but I wish they had a a better bad guy two legged creatures with a tail and bone head thing
½ March 25, 2017
Just an okay film the end credits scene makes the film better.
Awesome!!! Loved it!
March 25, 2017
Best King Kong movie so far!
March 25, 2017
Repleto de ação e referências a filmes como Apocalipse Now. Vale a pena conferir na tela grande.
March 25, 2017
There is no way this film deserves 78 percent approval from critics. It wasn't a bad film, but it definitely wasn't great. And it definitely could have waited until it came on TV 2 years from now. Not worth rushing to the theatres. Choppy, glued-together mediocrity. And, get this, the main hero's most impressive moves were demonstrated in a pool hall in the first few minutes way before they even get to Skull Island. The Indiana Jones figure in the movie does diddly squat that's worth writing home about once he actually gets to the jungle. So unimpressed.
½ March 25, 2017
I was shocked that that the whole focus of the movie was on Jackson and not on King Kong
March 25, 2017
Kong: Skull Island is a very flawed yet still enjoyable action film featuring the best version of King Kong to date. In this movie, Kong is a badass and if you come on his turf you better watch out or you might find yourself being thrown halfway across the world. He is a beast and the best parts of the movie all involve him. The CGI of Kong and the other monsters/beasts are excellent and really blend well with the live action. The island itself is impressive, even though it lacks much variety, mainly just a bunch of waterfalls, jungles, rivers, and rocks. Unfortunately, Samuel L. Jackson's war hungry character and John C. Reilly's stranded character are the only redeemable aspects when it came to characters, character development, and plot.
I liked Samuel L. Jackson and thought he was a fun, intriguing antagonist while John C. Reilly's character brings most of the comic relief in the film. Besides these two the movie really goes downhill. Brie Larson's character serves no purpose and Tom Hiddleston is a dull, I can do everything well protagonist (not either of the actor's faults, they just needed better writing). There are multiple characters where their only purpose is cannon fodder and I dislike how safe they played with this movie in who dies. The group of soldiers are alright but my most pressing issue with the film's characters beyond the forced romances, extreme beginner's luck, and heavy plot armor was the movie's use of John Goodman. He is so underused it frustrates me. I really enjoy John Goodman as an actor and at first, I thought he would play a vital role in the movie...he doesn't. I don't want to spoil anything but when you watch pay attention and you'll see what I mean.
Another problem with this movie is the fact that it is just a series of jumbled subplots thrown in together, however, the 70s-soundtrack led by Creedence Clearwater Revival (because what kind of film around the Vietnam war doesn't have one) is always fun. By the end of the film, I wasn't entirely satisfied but am still excited for the upcoming Kong V. Godzilla flick and suggest this movie if you're ever near the movies and bored. P.S. There is an end credits scene so make sure to stay for that if you do go.
March 25, 2017
Catch it in theaters, won't be the same at home.
½ March 25, 2017
Movie was about as expected. Overdone
March 25, 2017
Prior Kong movies are so hard to watch as a Kong character we have come to know and like goes down hard. John C Riley is terrific in not letting a strong action movie about a giant monkey not get to serious. The beginning scene between him and the Japanese pilot was outstanding. Very entertaining watching Kong take it to the bad guys, and help the good guys.
½ March 25, 2017
Kong: Skull Island is directed by Jordan Vogt-Roberts, and it stars Tom Hiddleston, Samuel L. Jackson, John Goodman, and Brie Larson in a monster film about some scientists and soldiers going over to Skull Island to explore and research about it, and while they got over there, King Kong comes out of nowhere and attacks the helicopters where half of the people there survived, but have got to find a way to send help to get out of the island. I wasn't really looking forward to it in a very skeptical way because I thought it was going to be like the other King Kong films, and the Peter Jackson version is the first and only version that I've seen that's about King Kong, and thought it was a great film at that time, which made me wonder about why was this made. From the Godzilla film in 2014 I understand why that needed to be made as there was never a Godzilla film in America, and the 1998 version was disrespectful to Godzilla that I pretty much think that the film doesn't exist, so I was pretty excited to see that more than this one was. Even with the high positive reviews that this movie was, I still wasn't sold on it because I watched reviews from Chris Stuckmann and Jeremy Jahns which they didn't really enjoy it that much, even though Brad Jones and James Rolfe had a blast with this film. The thing is however, my mom and I were suppose to go see Logan instead of this, but I looked at the wrong schedule by accident and we both had to find another film so it wasn't a waste of time driving to the theater. So as an unintentional film to watch, this was surprisingly a lot of fun to watch. The acting is solid enough that I wasn't bored of the film when it was showing the characters, probably because it has more characters that are three-dimensional like Samuel L. Jackson, John C. Reilly, and some from John Goodman which are in the film for most of it instead of Godzilla when Bryan Cranston is one of the best parts of that film, and he's only in it for 15 minutes. That doesn't mean that the rest of the acting is bad as they are also great and hold up the film, but it's more or less their acting that keeps me interested, unlike the other actors that I was talking about that they're charismatic and are interesting characters to watch as Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson, Corey Hawkins, and other characters are two-dimensional and they don't really have much to offer, other then showing a bit of their comedic side, where are funny, and never make it seem like it's a comedy. The effects look good, and the designs of the monsters like King Kong and the other creatures in the island, were different and creative looking that never felt like Peter Jackson's version. When King Kong does show up, it's really amazing, and is very terrifying to mess with as around 15 helicopters go against the ape, and King Kong just annihilated them one by one. The action scenes are exciting to watch, and the soundtrack by Henry Jackman really gave us a feel that it takes place during the Vietnam War era as there were a lot of songs that definitely sounded like that type of thing that was played during the war. The story is actually different from Peter Jackson's version, and that it was pretty simple to handle as it's basically a destination type of film. It shows King Kong more than Godzilla, which I actually appreciate, and the post-credit scene is really cool that'll be worth it during the long credits. Kong: Skull Island is better than I thought was going to be, and I can't wait to see what they got next in their very own MonsterVerse.