Kong: Skull Island - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kong: Skull Island Reviews

October 19, 2017
A lot of people say this movie isn't very good because it's just Kong beating up a bunch of monsters. Well here's my counter-argument: it's just Kong beating up a bunch of monsters. It almost feels like a counter-reaction to the Peter Jackson movie, which got complaints for being too long and not enough Kong. Here, we see Kong almost immediately. We get a brief glimpse in the pre-credits scene and then a full shot and some destruction no more than 15 minutes later. From then on it's just a roller coaster ride of jungle adventure and monster destruction.
It's like an old school jungle adventure movie with a modern day budget, and I love that. I also love the movies creativity with the monsters. In the other Kong movies, Skull Island had dinosaurs. Cool, but we've definitely seen that before. Here, there are all sorts of things. In one scene they're walking through a bamboo forest only to notice some of the bamboo seems to be moving, and then that the moving bamboo sticks are actually the legs of a giant spider; can't say I've seen that before. The monster battles with Kong are pretty great too. They feel a little fanservice-y at times, but that's not really a bad thing. There's nothing quite on par with the T-Rex battle of the original or the Peter Jackson remake, but there's definitely a lot more battles overall.
The characters are a mixed bag, and that's where most of the criticism comes in. Most of them are pretty one note without much development. Still, there are some highlights here too. For one, John Goodman and Samuel L. Jackson are in a movie together. These are, for my money, two of the best actors working today so seeing them onscreen with each other was awesome. Then there's John C. Reilly, an old military pilot who crash landed on the island decades prior and has been living there ever since, a great character idea. All the actors in the movie are notable actors, and they're all putting forth their best, but admittedly they aren't always given a ton to work with. I guess I just didn't mind that all that much though. The focus was on Kong, and with Kong I had a ton of fun. The characters were vehicles to move the adventure along, and to do that they were fine. The only area where I really do feel like they had a missed opportunity was with John C. Reilly. He crash landed with a pilot of the opposing side, but without a war separating them and having to survive in a violent jungle, they were forced to work together and eventually became best friends. That's damn fascinating, but it's only passingly mentioned when Reilly is looking at his friend's tombstone.
If you know what you're going into, Kong: Skull Island is a really fun movie. It's not a cinematic masterpiece, and the characters are definitely thin on development, but as an effects-driven ride it's a lot of fun. Think of it this way, for entertainment you have lots of options. Maybe you go to a museum and see great works of art, or maybe you go to an amusement park and get an adrenaline rush from the roller coasters. This movie is a roller coaster. Maybe it's not as life-changing as high art, but it still has a place in our entertainment culture.
½ October 19, 2017
I didn't care much for this one. Most of the special effects were good, but "Kong" moved too much like a human rather than a gorilla. The original King Kong was much more believable.
October 17, 2017
Entertaining as can be. Human characters are shallow with very little to them but he monsters greatly make up for it
October 16, 2017
Esta película comparte el mismo universo que Godzilla (2014) para dar lugar al film Kong Vs Godzilla (2020).
Muy buena producción de aventuras que son escasas en estos días, entretenida de principio a fin mezclándola con hechos reales, las animaciones cgi son excelentes y una muy detallada ambientación de época donde se desarrolla, la banda sonora setentosa es genial. El elenco excelente y cada uno se destaca muy bien en su rol, tambien muy bueno el trabajo del director por mi desconocido.
Habrá que esperar como se sigue desarrollando este universo de monstruos gigantes con la próxima Godzilla II, todo va por muy buen camino.
October 16, 2017
Was a very good movie.lots of action and suspect's.Keep you on the edge of y'alls seat.
October 15, 2017
A good spin from the original and the ending makes the movie. Its just not another tired remake with different actors. Kept me entertained and is great addition to the library. CGI is good. Samuel Jackson is able to pull off the crazy military leader and the humor is good.
October 14, 2017
Could have been a good film but was hindered by its desperation to included huge (over developed) action set pieces.
October 13, 2017
Kinda liked it, nice little story. There were some strange or out there parts, but not bad. Like most characters besides Sams. Look for more!!
October 12, 2017
Not what you'd expect but it's definitely something exciting.
½ October 11, 2017
With Hollywood's desperate attempt to franchise everything, usually through the means of having some kind of cross-promotional fight, a la Batman Vs Superman, Kong: Skull Island is here to set up a series of films where the mighty Ape, presumably, engages in bloody, CGI-heavy battle with a variety of equally mythic creatures. The first film in this impending series is a bizarre one. I enjoyed the cinematography, the incredible fight scenes and the beautiful landscape shots, though I could have done without the numerous shots of the sun, which made me suspect the filmmakers had an advertisement deal with Miss Saigon. I could also have done without some of the terrible directorial decisions, such as having repeated, ultra-brief slow-motion shots scattered throughout, some of which last about 2 seconds and do nothing for the action whatsoever. It's there because slow-mo looks cool, and that's all. The story is given very little credibility, most of the characters are killed off before we know the slightest thing about them, it borrows way too much from better films like Jurassic Park & Apocalypse Now, and the villains plan and motivation, even for a blockbuster action movie, are utterly ridiculous, with zero logic or common sense. There were a handful of great moments, and some real laugh out loud instances, though I'm not entirely sure if they're intended to be funny, the tone is so erratic. It's a decent movie to stick on if you're only after dumb fun, but if you even dare engage your brain the entire thing will fall apart like fruit in a blender.
½ October 10, 2017
visually gorgeous but a terrible plot. Even worse character motivation.
October 10, 2017
Great loved the plot and the origins
October 10, 2017
Wished had seen this in the Cinema. Kong looks great. Bring on King Kong vs Godzilla
October 10, 2017
Kaiju movies are rare in the west, it's a fun romp with some wild creatures.
October 9, 2017
Antaa sen mitä tarjoaakin. Toimintahöttöä. Elokuvateatterissahan tämä olisi kannatanut katsoa mutta ei voi mitään. Paras tässä oli se että heti mennään itse asiaan. King Kongia (tai mitään legendaarista hirviötä) on ihan turha nykyleffoissa enää piilotella ja yrittää luoda turhaa jännitystä pistämällä katsoja odottamaan toistatuntia hirviöiden ilmestymistä. Parempi vaan tehdä rehellistä CGI-painia jättläisapinan ja milloin minkäkin välillä. Kaikki muu tässä on ihan yhden tekevää! Hyvä näyttelijäkaarti tienaa palkkionsa siis lähinnä tuijottelemalla tyhjää. ***- /5
October 8, 2017
Action packed but I dislike how it's always a shoot first, learn later situation. You dropped bombs on his house - of course he is going to retaliate!
October 8, 2017
The movie was a little better than I expected, but that is still not saying much (I also liked it quite a bit more than Peter Jackson's 2005 reinterpretation). It has all of the apparent dumbness (corny scenes, bad storytelling logic, etc.) of flicks like "Jurassic World" and "Pacific Rim," but it just turned out to be a bit better than those two films, with massive, awesome action sequences that are surely breathtaking on the big screen. Although they're billed as the biggest stars in the movie, both Tom Hiddleston and Brie Larson are not allowed to do anything interesting in the plot, other than look pretty, until the last 30-40 minutes of screen time; however, the performances by John C. Reiley and Samuel L. Jackson, of course, impact the unfolding narrative on a larger scale with their characters' integral motivations.
October 7, 2017
This movie was every thing I expected and more, granted I wasn't expecting much at all so this movie was better than I thought it was gonna be. Would I recommend this movie? Well as long as you know it doesn't really have anything going for it besides a fun action movie that's extremely predictable
½ October 6, 2017
So bad. Why is this even 70%??
jamrcla
½ October 6, 2017
A brilliant and new take on the classic King Kong tale but its main purpose is to set up an extended Monster-verse as the extended universe fad seems to be the craze at the minute, The story differs from the original as there's no pretty blonde actor that steals Kong's heart (Thank god) Although there's little nods to the original story with 2 scenes with Kong and the only blonde woman in the film, Nor does he get captured and climb the Empire State Building, He stays on Kong Island and just like the rebooted Godzilla movie Kong is the peace keeper and is hunting creatures such as the Skull Crawlers, A giant Octopus with more than 8 tentacles so it's not really a Octopus but still, He does kill allot of people at the beginning but his motives behind killing them were understandable, As we heard Kong will Fight Godzilla in a sequel they had to make Kong much bigger, He must be 3 times the size as he usually is and as we are told in the film he is still growing so he's only going to get bigger which is good as they need at least to make it a fair fight in size between them, There's even giant Spiders and other animals that attack the cast, Speaking of the cast they were great and all had a good amount of screen time, I was worried about when the added John C. Reilly to the cast as I thought he might kill the whole tone of the film but he was given just the right amount of screen time to provide touches of humour but still put in a good acting performance and he even had a touching scene at the end of the film, The effects were amazing and some of the best I've seen, I can't comment on the 3D as I watched the 2D version but I'm betting the 3D would of been good, The action was fantastic with some great monster fights that really steal the show, It's better than Godzilla thanks to it being a true popcorn flick and the fact we don't have to wait 40+ minutes to actually see Kong, This movie will get more people looking forward to the future films more, I know it's got me more excited.