L.A. Confidential Reviews

• Nov 16, 2019

good sfg s

good sfg s

• Sep 25, 2019

Great movie, great cast, I loved this movie! Watched it again recently and it still seems so fresh. Must see!

• Sep 22, 2019

Great actors. Great script. Great scenery of the L.A./Hollywood at this time. Great tension/thriller kind of atmosphere.

• Sep 03, 2019

So interesting and engaging, very well-written and perfectly cast. Each character is unique and remarkably characterized. Guy Pearce plays Ed Exley, the tightly-wound "good" cop with strict perceptions of morality, who is trying to live up to his father's standards. Russell Crowe plays Bud White, the intemperate "bad" cop, who isn't afraid to do whatever it takes to get the bad guys, even—no, especially if it includes violence. Kevin Spacey plays Jack Vincennes, the exhibitionist narcotics detective who seems to be in it for the money and the fame. On a list of the best all-time cop movies, L.A. Confidential is right up there with The French Connection.

• Aug 20, 2019

A bucket list film with an all-star cast and a thrilling story filled with turns that will have you on the edge of your seat

• Aug 10, 2019

This is a very straightfoward, classic crime movie. Entertaining, but a few parts didn't age well for modern sensibilities.

• Aug 08, 2019

La Confidential is the 3rd best cops and criminals flick. Dirty Harry 1st. The Untouchables 2nd. And this 3rd.

• Jul 14, 2019

My familiarity with director Curtis Hanson largely came from the terrific films In Her Shoes (2005) and Wonder Boys (2000) before having seen this film but even with the tainting that the presence of Kevin Spacey brings to the film I think this may be his best film. I'm not usually a fan of crime drama films but this movie tells it's story so compellingly and features such memorable characters that you can't help but be drawn in. I would even venture to say that I think it is the best film nominated for Best Picture in 1997 and probably should have won over Titanic (1997) which I think makes a mockery of the romantic epic genre which I usually adore. The by the book LAPD detective Ed Exley, Guy Pearce, teams up with the talented but combustible Bud White, Russell Crowe, as they attempt to defeat the perpetrators of the "Bloody Christmas" murders. They are diverted from their task when a rivalry develops between the two of them and their associate Detective Sergeant Jack Vincennes, Kevin Spacey, realizes that the murders that the murders of various prostitutes is related to police corruption. White begins a relationship with prostitute Lynn Bracken, Kim Basinger, while Exley and Vincennes find evidence of the corruption but it is revealed that it is their superior Captain Dudley Smith, James Cromwell, who is heading all of the corruption. Exley and White team up to take down all of those who head the corruption and both get their happy endings. The film is obviously very stylish as it sets up a world in which L.A. is a sort of paradise even though it is just seething with criminality and potentially dodgy behavior hidden among the few self-righteous, moral individuals like Exley. I liked seeing all of the 1930s décor and costumes and especially the shots of various locales in Los Angeles as they feel as though they are capturing a very specific time and place and contribute to the moody, evocative feeling of the film. Even the police building which appears on screen several times sends a little thrill up your spine as the film builds tension which is sure to be unleashed in the workplace of these men who devote so much of their lives to their jobs which appear to dictate so much of their lives outside of their jobs and in their personal lives. The plot is also skillfully pulled together by the screenwriters as we spend so much time confused at how all of these seemingly disparate events will connect to each other and yet the finale brings everything together. When it does reach it's exciting climax you are completely on board as you feel the deep anger of our three and eventually two protagonists at the wrongness of the institution they work within. I felt joy at their victory because their characters had been set up as more than just your average buddy cop pairing, we knew about these men and their personal lives, their relationships with women and their dead fathers. Even though it is difficult to root for Kevin Spacey the fact that his character also dies makes the film not necessarily as bad as it could have been. Films like Lethal Weapon (1987) don't have the impact that this film has because their characters seem so outlandish and are so hard to care about in addition to being surrounded by a less complex plot that is less gratifying when it gets wrapped up. The one thing that I will fault about this film, is not really the fault of the film, but Kim Basinger's win for Best Supporting Actress has always irked me. I think she does very good work in Fool for Love (1985) but I would hardly call her a ‘great' actress and when nominated alongside performers like Julianne Moore in Boogie Nights (1997) and Joan Cusack in In and Out (1997) the weaknesses and flatness of her performance can be more closely dissected. I think she is very well used as she is convincing as the sort of beautiful older woman who could charm an angry young man into having a real relationship but there is never a moment where I am amazed by Basinger and her abilities. Despite my minor complaint I actually think that the film is fantastic and you should absolutely watch it.

• Jun 25, 2019

Incredible, on so many levels. Actors give spectacular performances. The many subtleties make it a masterpiece.