Ladies in Lavender - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ladies in Lavender Reviews

½ March 29, 2016
Dame Judi Dench + Dame Maggie Smith + Daniel Brühl + Natascha McElhone in this kinda plain drama.
½ January 31, 2016
Warm Sunday afternoon sofa fodder.
January 1, 2016
Always a treat to have Maggie Smith and Judi Dench in the same film.
October 28, 2015
It doesn't take us any effort to understand the genuine fascination created by the mysterious and handsome young man played by Daniel Brühl, but this unremarkable British drama is only worth it for the superb performances by Judi Dench and Maggie Smith.
July 29, 2015
Two fine lead performances in one average movie.
October 3, 2014
Master Class from 2 legends
September 28, 2014
Two of my favourite actress's star but the parts are greater than the whole. I saw the stage play with Hayley Mills enjoyed it more.
September 16, 2014
Although the plot is relatively simple, I really liked this film.
February 9, 2014
The directorial debut of Charles Dance, who also wrote the film, adapted from a short story by William J. Locke, first published in 1908. This period drama is moved forwards to the 1930's, and it's a gentle piece with some lovely performances in it. It's the kind of thing you'd get on TV on Sunday teatimes, but it manages to hold it's own as a piece of cinema, but only just. In 1936, in a small Cornish village by the coast, sisters Ursula (Judi Dench) and Janet Widdington (Maggie Smith) live quiet lives, but their lives change when they find Polish man Andrea (Daniel Brühl) washed up on the beach near their house. Ursula and Janet take him in, and they nurse him back to health. They discover Andrea is a virtuoso violinist, and he shows off his talents to the local villagers, who accept him as one of their own. However, things change when holidaying artist Olga Daniloff (Natascha McElhone), whose brother is a famed violinist, hears Andrea play and promises him a better life, but Ursula and Janet can't let go of their guest. It's a moving and well made drama which has some lovely Cornish locations, and some good performances by Dench and Smith as the sisters. Although the concept of the film might be a bit far fetched, it works well and Dance does well as writer and director, and he should give it another go.
January 24, 2014
Wonderful. Charming performance and a very unique story make this movie simply wonderful. How kindness and sincere love could change a life of a stranger.
½ January 8, 2014
Amazing movie. Such beautiful and sensitive performances!
January 7, 2014
¨The two lead actresses are wonderful, of course, but mostly what I liked here was the period setting and the location. At least it feels like they captured the atmosphere of the time and the place quite well. For example the fact that everyone puts on their Sunday best to go and listen to the wireless in the only house that has one... Touching.
December 31, 2013
A touching little film about an old woman who falls in love with a young men she rescued from death and helped get back in shape.
October 15, 2013
Watching it was like breathing fresh air, quietly beautiful.
½ September 9, 2013
I have yet to see movie with Maggie Smith in it that I have not liked. The plot could be considered disgusting for some. nonetheless this was a touching movie. The acting was superb as well as the music. If you like movies with British actors and that takes place in England, then you shod give this movie a chance.
March 29, 2013
Where was the plot? What a waste of time.
½ March 8, 2013
Enjoyable but be prepared for an extremely leisurely pace. You will need a good glass of wine, and don't expect your husband to make it through! Aside from that, anything with Dench and Smith is worth watching. Beautiful cinematography and period detail.
½ January 19, 2013
Andrea's gone. With that woman.....
December 2, 2012
I'm a sucker for British sappy movies!!
December 2, 2012
I'm a sucker for British sappy movies!!