The Lawnmower Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lawnmower Man Reviews

October 30, 2017
From the opening title card, you know that The Lawnmower Man is going to be dated. After all, it's all about the futuristic technology of VIRTUAL REALITY. However, even without the cheesy special effects, this movie is absolutely terrible. The acting is melodramatic, the story is hokey and the scares are laughable. Please, someone, delete this movie from my memory.
½ September 8, 2017
Nothing spectacular about the film except for some cool virtual effects that doesn't hold a candle to what's being done today with the CGI takeover, but an interesting tale that Jeff Fahey brings to the screen with his unwise characteristics to portray a dumb role that doesn't bring attention to any award judges.
August 6, 2017
I don't get this movie. I don't get it at all. The blub says it's about virtual reality, but the early 3D animations are just an excuse to lure people in. The actual plot is about a mentally challenged man who's made into a supergenius. By virtual reality. Man, that really does not fit together at all does it?

So riding off the disappointment of finding this isn't a cheezy vaguely Tronesque '90s hacker movie, the film was always going to be a tough sell. But the slow slow slow pacing and uninteresting character cliches meant that it was painful to watch. It's just so boring. By the end the film finally becomes at least amusing as the eponymous character starts to absorb data through the network and tries to take over the world. Typical superintelligence makes you evil storyline, as seen on about a dozen Star Trek episodes, but it has its '90s charms. But by this point the film had long since lost me. I don't get the film's appeal.
½ July 17, 2017
Ahead of its time. Unfortunately, the technology it uses was not.
½ July 8, 2017
Interesting to see progression. Like the character, don't care for the graphics
½ June 6, 2017
I don't understand the ridicule this movie gets. Aside from a few dated effects, which make sense in the context of the story, it's a pretty decent Frankenstein-esque tale. Fahey and Brosnan are quite likeable in their roles, and the story is sound.
April 6, 2017
This movie is bad and weird, but it's hard to take your eyes from the screen.
½ September 3, 2016
Possibly the worst of all Stephen King film adaptations ("Graveyard Shift" or "The Mangler" are probably the other two worst). This one actually deviates so much from King's original short story that he sued to have his name taken off the film. Apparently this film was already written as a non-King film, but then later had elements from King's story tacked on. In this version of the story, Jeff Fahey plays a simple minded yard maintenance worker who is turned into evil genius thanks to Pierce Brosnan's experiments on him using virtual reality. I do remember at the time being blown away by the films visual world using CGI, but now the animations looks absolutely primitive and downright laughable. It's really just an awful film that's not at all interesting, with the exception of Fahey's transformation from a dopey man-child to a hunky super villain. is performance is not exactly Robert DeNiro in "Awakenings," but I do have a strange fascination with Fahey and do enjoy his often unhinged performances. On a side note, do yourself a favor and check him out in the very underrated Eric Red horror film "Body Parts."
½ August 13, 2016
It's a decent 90s scifi.
February 6, 2016
As a concept good, in reality has not aged well.
November 22, 2015
The Lawnmower Man is a hokey, classically cheesy 90s sci-fi romp that has enough interesting ideas to make it somewhat entertaining.
September 21, 2015
Don't waste your time, has absolutely nothing to do with King's short story
½ August 30, 2015
"The Lawnmower Man" is time capsule of the 1990's. Ideas and technology that we thought would be the future but years down the line just looked goofy and outdated with a slight amount of sentimental value.
½ August 23, 2015
It's effects may be largely dated, but it's 90s feel of virtual reality is entertaining along with Brosnan and Fahey's performances.
½ April 6, 2015
Does not translate well today and the film's grandious plan never ever come out.
½ October 11, 2014
It's a really strange, confusing movie. Awful computer effects, even for its age, and a lot of goofy moments. The plot is a mess, the casting is rather odd, and the tense scenes come out rather laughable. The movie is memorable enough but falls under it's own weight.
½ June 24, 2014
Man... Is this a trippy film, I mean damn. The film, in name only apparently, is based off of a work by Steven King so I can't exactly blame it for being weird, although to be fair they don't look all that similar to be honest. What we do get is a somewhat thought provoking film that seems restrained on purpose that also features some pretty good visuals. The film was interesting to watch, it went along at a fine pace showing some decent acting but felt like it wanted to be a mix of visuals, character growth and thought provoking ideas and to it's credit I think it works. I can't really think of any way to describe this without it sounding like a negative but it wants you to think about what you're seeing but, to me, it doesn't want to come across as a preachy mess. It presents good ideas for us to think about and then plays on with character interactions and flashy visuals. Everyone did well in their parts and Pierce Brosnan and and Jeff Fahey play off of each other very well. Given some of the dialogue they have to deliver and maybe a few over the top scenes everyone keeps committed to their parts and hey, Dean Norris is in it, so it can't be all bad. I'm not really sure how to comment on the visual effects, not to say they're bad because that isn't fair, but I thought by 92 effects were better than this, I mean we had TRON in '82... Literally 10 years before. Am I expecting too much? I don't know. I don't think they're bad at all but I thought they were more advanced at that point in time but from the looks of it, the budget wasn't there. Either way, I thought they were fine and had a charm to them, especially for the money constraints. One thing it does do well is that it has heart. The test subject might be seen as a villain at first but he is very tragic and I honestly felt quite sad for him. Its tragic to see his story arc but he does get redemption. Besides that though, other characters have pain and their own demons to conquer and the film does have a good sense of humor while its doing it. After all is said and done, I had a good time, it moved at good pace, had an interesting plot, good characters, some good special effects and leaves us with some ideas to think about whilst the credits roll that has a song that sounds quite like the Terminator theme. I liked it and it has its place in history.
½ May 26, 2014
Has some interesting ideas and Brosnan is ok but it mostly falls flat.
May 11, 2014
A film ahead of its time, The Lawnmower Man explores the dangers of unchecked technological evolution. Starring Jeff Fahey and Pierce Brosnan, a scientist's experiments with virtual reality and the mind have unexpected effects on a mentally handicapped landscaper named Jobe whose mental powers begin to escalate, giving him telepathic abilities and the power to merge the virtual and physical worlds. The writing's not very good, and is full of cliches and stereotypes. The development of Jobe is especially weak, and offers little explanation for what he does...besides general craziness. And the special effects are awful (even for 1992). The virtual reality in particular is more bizarre and distracting than intriguing. Unfortunately, the poor filmmaking in The Lawnmower Man overwhelms the ideas that it's trying to explore.
May 11, 2014
Both a cyberpunk retelling of Frankenstein and bastardization of Stephen King's short story of the same name, The Lawnmower Man is made worse by its preposterous plot twists, dated effects, and ham acting.