The Lawnmower Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lawnmower Man Reviews

½ September 3, 2016
Possibly the worst of all Stephen King film adaptations ("Graveyard Shift" or "The Mangler" are probably the other two worst). This one actually deviates so much from King's original short story that he sued to have his name taken off the film. Apparently this film was already written as a non-King film, but then later had elements from King's story tacked on. In this version of the story, Jeff Fahey plays a simple minded yard maintenance worker who is turned into evil genius thanks to Pierce Brosnan's experiments on him using virtual reality. I do remember at the time being blown away by the films visual world using CGI, but now the animations looks absolutely primitive and downright laughable. It's really just an awful film that's not at all interesting, with the exception of Fahey's transformation from a dopey man-child to a hunky super villain. is performance is not exactly Robert DeNiro in "Awakenings," but I do have a strange fascination with Fahey and do enjoy his often unhinged performances. On a side note, do yourself a favor and check him out in the very underrated Eric Red horror film "Body Parts."
½ August 13, 2016
It's a decent 90s scifi.
February 6, 2016
As a concept good, in reality has not aged well.
November 22, 2015
The Lawnmower Man is a hokey, classically cheesy 90s sci-fi romp that has enough interesting ideas to make it somewhat entertaining.
September 21, 2015
Don't waste your time, has absolutely nothing to do with King's short story
½ August 30, 2015
"The Lawnmower Man" is time capsule of the 1990's. Ideas and technology that we thought would be the future but years down the line just looked goofy and outdated with a slight amount of sentimental value.
½ August 23, 2015
It's effects may be largely dated, but it's 90s feel of virtual reality is entertaining along with Brosnan and Fahey's performances.
½ April 6, 2015
Does not translate well today and the film's grandious plan never ever come out.
½ October 11, 2014
It's a really strange, confusing movie. Awful computer effects, even for its age, and a lot of goofy moments. The plot is a mess, the casting is rather odd, and the tense scenes come out rather laughable. The movie is memorable enough but falls under it's own weight.
½ June 24, 2014
Man... Is this a trippy film, I mean damn. The film, in name only apparently, is based off of a work by Steven King so I can't exactly blame it for being weird, although to be fair they don't look all that similar to be honest. What we do get is a somewhat thought provoking film that seems restrained on purpose that also features some pretty good visuals. The film was interesting to watch, it went along at a fine pace showing some decent acting but felt like it wanted to be a mix of visuals, character growth and thought provoking ideas and to it's credit I think it works. I can't really think of any way to describe this without it sounding like a negative but it wants you to think about what you're seeing but, to me, it doesn't want to come across as a preachy mess. It presents good ideas for us to think about and then plays on with character interactions and flashy visuals. Everyone did well in their parts and Pierce Brosnan and and Jeff Fahey play off of each other very well. Given some of the dialogue they have to deliver and maybe a few over the top scenes everyone keeps committed to their parts and hey, Dean Norris is in it, so it can't be all bad. I'm not really sure how to comment on the visual effects, not to say they're bad because that isn't fair, but I thought by 92 effects were better than this, I mean we had TRON in '82... Literally 10 years before. Am I expecting too much? I don't know. I don't think they're bad at all but I thought they were more advanced at that point in time but from the looks of it, the budget wasn't there. Either way, I thought they were fine and had a charm to them, especially for the money constraints. One thing it does do well is that it has heart. The test subject might be seen as a villain at first but he is very tragic and I honestly felt quite sad for him. Its tragic to see his story arc but he does get redemption. Besides that though, other characters have pain and their own demons to conquer and the film does have a good sense of humor while its doing it. After all is said and done, I had a good time, it moved at good pace, had an interesting plot, good characters, some good special effects and leaves us with some ideas to think about whilst the credits roll that has a song that sounds quite like the Terminator theme. I liked it and it has its place in history.
½ May 26, 2014
Has some interesting ideas and Brosnan is ok but it mostly falls flat.
May 11, 2014
A film ahead of its time, The Lawnmower Man explores the dangers of unchecked technological evolution. Starring Jeff Fahey and Pierce Brosnan, a scientist's experiments with virtual reality and the mind have unexpected effects on a mentally handicapped landscaper named Jobe whose mental powers begin to escalate, giving him telepathic abilities and the power to merge the virtual and physical worlds. The writing's not very good, and is full of cliches and stereotypes. The development of Jobe is especially weak, and offers little explanation for what he does...besides general craziness. And the special effects are awful (even for 1992). The virtual reality in particular is more bizarre and distracting than intriguing. Unfortunately, the poor filmmaking in The Lawnmower Man overwhelms the ideas that it's trying to explore.
May 11, 2014
Both a cyberpunk retelling of Frankenstein and bastardization of Stephen King's short story of the same name, The Lawnmower Man is made worse by its preposterous plot twists, dated effects, and ham acting.
½ April 28, 2014
"Virtual reality holds the key to human evolution of the mind, and that is my focus!"-Dr Lawrence Angelo (Pierce Brosnan)

The next step in the Frankenstien saga. Man is playing God, not with the body, but the mind.
April 26, 2014
sci fi classic virtual reality and super computer scientific experiment boots a every day gardeners mind and turn him into a genius but he used it to a villian
½ April 17, 2014
Hated it. Plain and simple.
March 11, 2014
Despite the always solid Brosnan at the helm, this still manages to be too weak scripted for its own good as the plot boils down to a simple man gets experimented on, he becomes dangerous and powerful, the end. The secret lab base is one of the most ridiculous examples of set design ever. It looks so dark and depressing, and by the looks of things most of the workers have either killed themselves or simply left as every time it's shown it's almost completely void of people. This very well might be the first movie ever made in which more time and effort was spent on computer effects than the script itself. A true pioneer of CGI driven junk cinema.
½ February 17, 2014
A strange movie, that is for sure. While I complement its efforts to use CGI at the time it was made to show us the possibilities of "virtual reality", this flick becomes progressively dated over time in spite of its interesting ideas. Those ideas also don't quite come together in a logical manner. Although the prospect of a world takeover such as this -- let alone by an individual who has advanced in a freakily fast manner -- would be eerie, it lacks the necessary tension, thus depriving it of any terror or suspense. I suppose it does convey tragedy for the title character as it's "Frankenstein" meets "Flowers for Algernon" booted up in the 90's. Decent acting and cool visuals aren't quite enough to overcome its weak script and lack of depth in exploring religious upbringing and scientific progress. Not a bad affair but also not well-done. If you're expecting an inspirational true story about the world's greatest lawnmower, then this movie is not for you. But if you're also expecting an adaptation of the Stephen King short story, then you're also out of luck.
½ December 20, 2013
based on a king short story which king later sued to have his name removed that should tell ya something
½ November 8, 2013
Extremely dull sci-fi flick that has absolutely nothing to do with the Stephen King short story. The cast is terrible and the movie just seems to drag on without ever seeming to end. The special effects may have been decent back in the early 90s but are very dated now. Really no reason at all to see this film.