Leatherheads - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Leatherheads Reviews

August 23, 2017
Fast, witty banter, a true screwball comedy. Ahead of its time, hence the poor reviews from so many cynical reviewers
August 10, 2017
Think to an extent, this movie is a bit underrated.Clooney fits perfectly into this movie. I usually don't care what Ren'ee does but she was a fine choice for it. An entertaining "football" movie with good back and fourth banter that yes I do agree carries that "nostaligia" feeling with it but....well look at what it is based on...It should have some nostalgic feeling to it. I think there are some rather boring scenes but overall I found the movie pretty entertaining. With that said, that really shoudl be all that matters. It was enteraining, nothing really over the top besides the forced word play but i think that is what brought more laughs to it over stale faces. Not like I know how they talked back in the day though either ha.
½ July 21, 2017
Witty and entertaining flick about the beginnings of professional football.
February 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 20, 2017
Good old fashioned romance comedy draped in the early days of football. Cast and director are in fine form. On Blu-Ray.
May 15, 2016
The first half is a lot better than the second half. At hour 2, it loses its steam and the comedy isn't as effective. All of the acting is great (finally- Renee Zellweger in something she was meant to play, not something which made me want to kill her) and the 1920s look is perfect. I just wish they edited it to have a great 90 minute movie, not an inconsistent 120 minute one!
May 9, 2016
Reminds me of another Clooney film "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" as a comedic period piece. I enjoyed the screenplay in this one better, but it isn't very ambitious. I'm surprised the audience rating is so low. I enjoyed it.
½ January 9, 2016
Routine comedy tries hard to be funny and sometimes succeeds.
½ November 13, 2015
What the hell direction does this movie want to go....a half measure of a movie.
½ July 22, 2015
Seemed cool, but shows off actor George Clooney, and how cringeworthy his sense of humor can be! A sheer disappointment!
½ April 11, 2015
This romantic comedy centers around the beginnings of professional football. The story concerns two guys, one older (Clooney) and one younger, both trying to win the affections of a reporter with a duplicitous motivation, all the while competing in the burgeoning football league. Nothing really comedic here, and it is light on the romance too. Doesn't achieve its goal.
½ February 9, 2015
George Clooney's Leatherheads has a great cast, but it fails as both an entertaining sports movie because it's so slowly paced and boring and as a comedy because the jokes are so dated that they have no target audience.
February 1, 2015
WOW.....WOW......WOW.....WOW....JUST SEEN THIS MOVIE 4 THE 1ST TIME N THINK THAT THIS IS A GOOD MOVIE 2 WATCH......its got good cast of actors/actresses throughout this movie.....I think that George Clooney, renee zellwegger, john krasinski, Stephen root, play good roles/parts throughout this movie.....I think that the director of this comedy/romance/drama movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie.....I think that this is such a really funny movie 2 watch, I think that George Clooney was absolutely brilliant throughout this movie....I think that this is such a really entertaining movie 2 watch......

In an interview on the Late Show with David Letterman, Clooney mentioned the plot is loosely based on George Halas's signing of University of Illinois football star Harold "Red" Grange. Grange was signed to a contract with the Chicago Bears in 1925, the day after his final game at Illinois.

The team itself is loosely based on the Duluth Eskimos. Clooney later explained that "We wanted to call them the Eskimos, but because we were drinking in the movie, the NFL said we couldn't use the actual names." The Canton Bulldogs was the first successful pro football team, which is why the Professional Football Hall of Fame is located in Canton, Ohio.

Leatherheads began filming on February 12, 2007. Filming locations mainly included locations in Chattanooga, Tennessee, upstate South Carolina around Anderson, Greenville, Ware Shoals, Greer and Travelers Rest, as well as Boiling Springs and western North Carolina around Statesville, Greensboro and Winston-Salem, specifically at Hanes Middle School and the Winston-Salem Millennium Center. Additional train scenes were filmed in the Winston-Salem suburb of Tobaccoville, specifically in the community of Donnaha.

The crew and cast headquarters during the Winston-Salem scenes were based in the nearby town of East Bend, in Yadkin County, NC. The football game scenes at the beginning and at the end of the picture were filmed at Memorial Stadium, near Central Piedmont Community College in Charlotte, North Carolina, with technical advisor T.J. Troup "teaching them the intricacies of 1920s football so that they look and sound like real players of the era."

Train scenes were filmed at the North Carolina Transportation Museum in Spencer, North Carolina and The Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum in Chattanooga, TN. Filming wrapped in mid-May 2007. After initially being set for release in December 2007, the studio moved the release date to April 4, 2008.

On March 24, George Clooney and Renée Zellweger premiered the film in Maysville, Kentucky, birthplace of Clooney's father and aunt, Nick Clooney and Rosemary Clooney. Clooney and Zellweger visited Duluth to promote the film.

The piano player bent over the tack piano with eyes glued to music is the composer of the original music in this film, Oscar-winning songwriter Randy Newman.

The George and Ira Gershwin song "The Man I Love" is sung in the film but the song was not extant in 1925. It was "part of the 1927 score for the Gershwin antiwar musical satire Strike Up the Band".

Special effects

The motorcycle that Clooney and Zellweger rode in Leatherheads is not a vintage V-twin motorcycle. It is one of three custom-built 36-volt electric-powered Indian replicas.

man this is such an entertaining movie 2 watch, I think that this is such a really funny movie 2 watch, with a great cast throughout this movie......
½ January 18, 2015
Nothing more than a few laughs.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
A comedy romance set in 1925 about a pro football team. George Clooney have directed this movie and did a great job i thought and he have a role aswell along with Renée Zellweger. Its not entirely a sport movie but much other content also with a pretty good story. Overall a well made movie.
½ December 7, 2014
Kinda lame, boring and uneventful
November 8, 2014
Funny sports comedy done in screwball style.
½ September 1, 2014
Saw it for Krasinski, hated it for Clooney.
August 17, 2014
(First and only viewing - In my mid-twenties)
½ May 17, 2014
the movie was very funny for george cloony the actor in the movie he was the right person for the role as suits the comedian series role for renee zellweger she was perfect well the movie was amazing so 4.5