Leave Her to Heaven - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Leave Her to Heaven Reviews

½ March 10, 2016
One of the most beautiful , glamorous and monstrous heroines ever in the history of cinema! One scene in particular will make your blood run cold it is so chilling.
This is a 4-star movie until the hurried and unconvincing ending. Pity, because it has wonderful production values and glorious outdoor scenes in colour.
Title comes from Shakespeare's Hamlet in which his father's ghost commands Hamlet in avenging his murder not to hurt his mother for her part in it but "leave her to heaven".
February 23, 2016
Do I even want to see this film again? Can I comment on its weird backdrop and unpleasant lighting? I did see the film twice. control, love, psycho, suicide = perfect education on marital cautious lol
February 8, 2016
Psychological drama that must have been shocking for its time. Beautifully shot. The court scene was too far fetched and the defense was unbelievable.
April 18, 2015
Gene Tierney plays the woman who's got it all ... except upstairs between her ears, and Cornel Wilde and Jeanne Crain endeavor mightily to tolerate her. They hardly can bear up. Vincent Price does a great job however as an abusive District Attorney, stealing the film. The action happens in that popular magazine cover perfect world that ruled in Hollywood film at that time. There's one scene, for instance, where Tierney, supposed pregnant (altho that's impossible to see) looks in a mirror horrified: "I look terrible," she says, when she doesn't look that way at all, when nothing in the film looks that way.
½ March 28, 2015
A very rare bird- a great Film Noir filmed in color. Gene Tierney is great playing against type. Her unstable and sociopathic femme fatale is one of the most memorable in the genre. The film owes most of its success and longevity to John Stahl, its director. His use of space, pacing, and depth of field is a masterclass of filmmaking.
½ March 1, 2015
a very good movie a film noir in colour a film that whould have been better in black and white.
February 17, 2015
Tuesday, August 5, 2014

(1945) Leave Her To Heaven
PSYCHOLOGICAL DRAMA

From the Ben Ames Williams novel starring Cornel Wilde as accomplished novelist, Richard Harland beginning to notice wealthy socialite, Ellen Berent Harland (Gene Tierney) while sitting across from her while on a train. And coincidently, they also happen to be going to the same destination, but are going there for different reasons. Richard was an invited guest to Ellen's family while she's going there for the memoriam funeral of her late father. Things start to get complicated as soon as Ellen proposes marriage to Ben since he reminds her of her late father. Winner of an Oscar for Best Cinematography in color out of 4 nominations.

After watching this movie, I totally sympathize with the Gene Tierney character for some reason and at the same time thought that the real fault for whatever happened is really her husband's, since when is it a rule that when two people physically get married, that other family members, in this case the husband's very young brother, or his wife's in-laws for that matter are supposed to move in with them too, or in some instance come to stay with them for as long as they want. Where is the notion that woman have rights too since she was neither asked by the husband whether she'd approve of this? Because even during at that time, even though they had the right to vote they were still treated as second class citizens, as it's shown on this film in which the husband is portrayed as inconsiderate of his wife's mental state. The setting takes place in the United States and not on some other foreign country where relatives have to come in to move in with them immediately after marriage. I think that theirs just as much blame from the husband's as much as anyone else's who's a mature adult. I, myself would not want my wife's sister/ brother or in-laws moving in or staying with me unless she's consented with me first and vice versa. Therefore, the entire experience seems so unfairly one -sided.

2.5 out of 4 stars
½ January 20, 2015
Gene Tierney en todo su esplendor , esconde detras de su belleza, a una mujer fria, calculadora y celosa, una villana memorable, aun tengo en la memoria la escena de ella remando en el lago.
½ January 6, 2015
Forget Rosamund Pike in Gone Girl, because she is nowhere from Gene Tierney in this masterpiece, she's probably the most sociopathic female character ever. Leon Shamroy' camerawork is astonishingly beautiful.
December 19, 2014
While most film noirs conjure up images of terror in black-and-white settings, 'Leave Her To Heaven' manages to fall into the noir category despite its lush technicolor scenery and handsome interiors. It's a visually stunning example of "women's noir" performed to the hilt by a talented cast... Color, Contrasts & Deadly Drama--Heaven Might Wait For She Was A Monster... Beautiful Technicolor; Disturbing Drama!!
½ November 17, 2014
Gene Tierney plays a character deeply disturbing on so many levels. One of the greatest female psychopaths put on film!
October 10, 2014
A totally warped drama.
October 5, 2014
Off the To-Watch Pile and something I'm pleased to say definitely lives up to the praise it's been heaped with over the years. I'm happy to have it off the list and will re-visit it very soon.

Tierney is wonderful in such a dark role.

Recommended.
February 20, 2014
Captivating. I didn't want to see the movie but after 2 minutes, could not leave my chair.
½ January 20, 2014
Dense, disturbing and absolutely brutal. A thrilling suspense filled with violence and ruthlesness, exposing the feeble sanity of an unstable, fixated woman with mastery only to be seen in Alfred Hitchcock.
½ January 16, 2014
Markitta and I watched this film last night. It was her 1st time watching it and she really enjoyed it.
December 13, 2013
Gorgeous rich technicolor! And oddly low key noir that boasts incredible interior designs and location shooting as well as strong leads.