Like Someone in Love - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Like Someone in Love Reviews

½ January 30, 2017
Kiarostami is a real master in depicting the loneliness of Japanese. An endearing story.
January 2, 2017
Perfect illustration of infatuation
October 14, 2016
Need to rewatch it to give it a fair rating; however, I remember being blown away by the end of the film. Why? Because of its simplicity and subtleness, its characters whom we might think are far from real, but are - I think - very real. I think the most obvious themes we see involve relationships. Some people hate the ending, but I think it's lack of finality actually makes it better.
½ August 16, 2016
No, this may have been Kiarostami's last work, and the critics may think it's a subtle and beautifully shot masterpiece, but it didn't do it for me. The story is barely credible, and doesn't seem to me to illuminate the characters. It's not a very interesting story, and doesn't really have a resolution. An Iranian director in Tokyo: hmmm ...
February 19, 2016
A Japanese story being directed by an Iranian. Same same boring however.
December 14, 2015
It may be too tedious and too understated for some, but "Like Someone in Love" is a visually-hypnotic, intelligently-crafted, and undeniably sweet drama. It's not perfect, but it's fine film-making.
October 17, 2015
Tried to care, but really couldn't. I don't mind slow paced movies as long as the characters are captivating. But in this case, Akiko is a shallow airhead with little charm, so not likely the object of ravaging passion.
½ July 28, 2015
Abbas Kiarostami's film is more interested in exploring ideas around "identity" than offering a clearly mapped statement or conclusion. The result is an experimental, human, potent and ultimately disturbing film.

The plot is simple. A young woman trying to secure her college degree has taken a job as a sex worker. At first glimpse she seems like a passive waifish sort of tiny voiced girl-woman.

We quickly discover that this is really a ploying guise to get what she wants. When her pimp refuses to give her the night off, her tiny voice turns into a far more powerful and tonal demand of anger. This is no "waif" and that voice we hear is a cover in a film filled with a series of people hiding behind self-created masks used for manipulation.

Over the course of two days she forms a connection with an elderly retired professor who has some connection to her pimp.

A short film, we see these two dramatically different people slowly drop their masks to reveal their true selves.

What first feels empowering quickly takes us to another aspect of their worlds. Kiarostami's film ends with a heart-stopping thud. A haunting and somehow mysterious cinematic experience.

This film is near flawless.
March 20, 2015
Could have cut an hour out of this film, and probably would have been more interesting.

No character development, shitty dialogue, and drawn out scenes that go nowhere. Don't waste your time.
½ November 7, 2014
Talvez tudo isso sirva um propósito, mas um filme sobre pessoas vazias não necessariamente tem que sentir-se vazio. máscarado de aparente simplicidade é na realidade complexo e sério.
½ October 25, 2014
There is to much lost in translation (literally) in this diolauge driven Iranian directed Japanese starting English subtitled movie, Just to slow and boring, a few times i was slightly interested but i struggled with most of it.
½ September 28, 2014
Liked this mostly. Very interestingly filmed and looks great. I particularly like the part where she drives around Tokyo in the taxi.
The opening scenes in the club are also interesting and leave you wondering exactly what's going on.
Once she meets the elderly gentleman, it becomes a little less intriguing, but I still liked it.
My complaints echo others - a little too abrupt to end and would have liked a little more tied up or explained. For example, did she sort her life out? What happened to the old man at the window?
However, I get that this is more art than blockbuster, and like real life, maybe didn't have a clear ending or resolution.
½ September 26, 2014
This is an interesting film that has a story that takes you into turns you would not expect. I love to see films about how other people live, especially in different countries. From what they wear, eat and how they live. The bottom line is we are all the same when it comes to the human feelings we experience.
August 26, 2014
Movie made up with only a few scenes. But what scenes they were, particularly the car conversation. "If you don't like the answers, don't ask the questions".
August 13, 2014
Like Someone In Love is about a Japanese girl named Akiko who works as a call girl at a bar and part time student. This is the Iranian director Abbas Kiarostami's second film made outside of his native Iran. Akiko wants to see her grandma who was in town for the night but was forced to work by her overbearing boss. Her client is an elderly a man in his 80s who translates books. Her pimp respects the old man very much and considers him an important client. The customer seems like a lonely old man who wants someone to have dinner with her more than have sex. The old man meets her fiance arguing with her when he drops her off and assumes he's her grandfather. Her fiance asks for her hand in mariage. There are traces of Yasujiro Ozu in the films themes and pacing. The fiance doesn't know about what she does for money and wonders why she doesn't pick up the phone when he calls her. He finds out and is not too pleased. The movies abrupt and confrontational ending comes as a surprise. I wanted to know more about these characters. It's a movie that leaves you wanting more. Many Abbas Kiarostami's films are open ended like this with no clear resolution.
August 13, 2014
A thoughtful piece on relationships with some thoughtful directing. Wordy in places but with a strong script.
½ August 12, 2014
???? ??????? ???? ? ????????? ??? ??? ???
???? ?????. ?????? ???? ? ??? ???? ??. ???? ???. ????!?
July 26, 2014
I want to see a movie
July 17, 2014
Positively the worst ending of any movie I've seen to date. Much of the extraneous B.S. scenes could have been cut to make room for more fleshing out of the ambiguous characters.
July 14, 2014
Simple but effective story. Very much a slow burn. Nicely drawn characters with some nice natural humor.