Lincoln - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lincoln Reviews

March 12, 2018
"And now he belongs with the ages." Those were the last few words said after the assassination of Abraham Lincoln. This movie got me going. I loved every single minute of it. Daniel Day-Lewis nailed it as the President of the United States. The storyline, which began during the final weeks of the Civil War, was Very emotional. I just felt like I was going to cry during the entire movie because there were so many moments that made me feel happy, sad, and emotional. To tell the truth, I want to watch this movie again. It is so powerful.
½ March 8, 2018
Mildly slow, though it makes up for it in dialogic wit as would be assumed of a film featuring loquacious politicians. Certain directorial choices are a bit iffy to me, such as the off-screen death of Lincoln, though enjoyable and entirely feasible as a film for educational purposes.
½ March 8, 2018
The first time I watched this I always got bored, but now that I am older, rewatching it I find it very interesting and enjoyable. It is a movie that you can watch multiple times and learn new things. Everybody gives a great performances, especially Daniel Day-Lewis. Now I don't get bored with the movie and i find it to be quite powerful at time. Overall Lincoln id a great film.

March 4, 2018
Abraham Lincoln needed to be redeemed in the cinema after the atrocious Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter was released earlier this year. The satire from the novel was scrapped in the film version, making it a genuine horror movie with the 16th US president as the star. Luckily Lincoln was released, presenting an amazing and insightful look at the last few months of his life and presidency ending the Civil War and freeing the slaves.

Lincoln is based on Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Kearns Goodwin, a biography of his life. The movie, however only focuses, on his efforts to push the signing of the Thirteenth Amendment up to his death. The film also focuses on his skills with people and his knack for telling jokes and stories to get his views and points across.

Daniel Day-Lewis plays Lincoln masterfully, completely immersing the audience with his accent and subtle physical mannerisms. No one knows for sure what Lincoln sounded like or how he acted, but Daniel Day-Lewis shows us that we can try to understand. His performance brings to mind his previous role as a historical figure in America as the fictional oil tycoon Daniel Plainview in 2007‚≤s There Will Be Blood. One can‚(TM)t help but notice the odd similarities between the two movies. Both are biographical dramas almost three hours in length, and cover a significant period in American history. The two characters are drastically different however, as Daniel Plainview becomes a twisted murderer by the end of There Will Be Blood, while Abraham Lincoln continues to be hailed a hero and a political genius.

The rest of the cast serves to challenge Lincoln and his decisions politically and personally. Sally Field (Mrs. Gump in Forrest Gump, Norma Rae in Norma Rae) plays Mary Todd Lincoln, desperately battling Lincoln for allowing their conflicted son Robert, played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt, to fight in the war. The movie serves to illuminate all Lincoln had to deal with while fearlessly pushing the amendment forward, never wavering in his unflinching belief that the war should end and that everyone is equal. The serious subject matter, however, doesn‚(TM)t get in the way of the humor, mainly supplied by the snarky Thaddeus Stevens (Tommy Lee Jones) and the sleazy W.N. Bilbo (James Spader).

Lincoln succeeds not only due to the amazing performances, but also from director Stephen Spielberg‚(TM)s enticing style of presenting suspense and drama. As the judge counts each vote that could end slavery in America, the audience knows the outcome, but can‚(TM)t help but feel the tension as each ballot is read. Most of the movie is spent as a buildup to that moment, which comes as a relief when the amendment is voted in. The event was over a century ago, but its impact, and the genius behind it, is masterfully brought to life on the big screen in this thrilling and poignant look at the 16th president‚(TM)s final months in office.

March 3, 2018
I rarely do not finish watching a movie. I cut this one out midway. It is just awful in every way -- screenplay, cinematography, acting. Kind of a theatrical rendition of an important part of US history (a still unfinished story) that is not clearly delineated. Lincoln becomes 'St Lincoln' in the most posturing way -- and all the rest of the congressional folks blend into a mirage of dumb shouting and pouting -- along with varying accents that remind me of early black and white American films where one overwrought actor after another screams into a telephone.
March 3, 2018
Watch Spielberg's "Lincoln". No film of which I know better encapsulates what makes America such a special nation. All of our children of a certain age should - no, must watch it. It is also the most intelligent historical drama I can recall seeing. I stand in awe of how the screenwriters did not dumb down a single syllable (even resorting to the archaic pronunciation of "righteous" as "rite-tee-us" as opposed to the current "rytch-us"). Instead they purposefully - and *masterfully* - showed the complexity and torture of the film's central story arch in all of its shades and nuances and depths. It is unflinching and all the more compelling as a result. At the end, I wept, both with sadness for a potential never fulfilled and out of awe and respect for this great land we call home. I cannot recommend this treasure of cinema highly enough. We need more Spielbergs. At any rate, we need more films like this.
March 3, 2018
Terrible movie. Wooden acting in fake set pieces. Too much makeup & costumes. Too little cohesive storytelling. It was like watching a Disney animatronics production.
February 23, 2018
By God, Daniel Day-Lewis deserved that Oscar. Everyone deserved an Oscar. There wasn't a bad performance anywhere. From the top dogs down to the extra with only two lines, everyone brought their A-game. I can't praise this cast enough.
February 13, 2018
too much cursing but impressive, james spader was the best part of the movie
February 12, 2018
Great direction and phenomenal acting. A must see
½ February 12, 2018
It wasn't bad. It's a little overrated considering the most tragic moment of his life wasn't shown in the film and how the film focused a bit too much on Mary Todd's lack of affection for Tad after losing two prior children.
½ February 3, 2018
Steven Spielberg never dissapoints.
½ January 30, 2018
Great acting and settings. Just a tad too slow and long for my liking, so I found myself losing interest. AAN AFI 1001. D
½ January 27, 2018
Spielberg honors the source material to make a captivating film; all while heightened by Day-Lewis' stunning performance.
½ January 23, 2018
Too bad the extraordinary talents of Day-Lewis were somewhat wasted. Rather than exploring the fascinating complex character of Lincoln the man through the channeling of Day Lewis, time was wasted on featuring a mellow dramatic replay of the the 14th amendment.
January 20, 2018
Daniel Day Lewis captivates in his stellar performance as one of the greatest figures in American history. In arguably the best performance of his career, Day Lewis brings the legend of Abraham Lincoln to life not only in appearance but by sympathizing the audience with the emotional strain Lincoln endured in one of the most turbulent times in American history and his life. The movie captures the final four months of Lincoln's life and his struggles to end the raging civil war as well as getting the thirteenth amendment through the House of Representatives. The decision to have the film focus only on the final four months of Lincoln's life was nothing but ingenious as nothing sums up Lincoln the man and the President than what he faced during his final months. Day Lewis flawlessly captures every movement and every word in such a way he dwarfs his co-stars Sally Field ad Tommy Lee Jones who also provide standout performances as the emotionally unstable Mrs Lincoln and the non-nonsense Thaddeus Stevens. Not only did 'Lincoln' captivate me on the screen, it also spurred me onto to learn more about this colossal figure in American history and in doing so do I realize how further Day Lewis' performance rings true.
December 30, 2017
This movie is as perfect as it gets! The story is brilliantly told! Phenomenal performances from all the actors! Just WOW!
½ December 29, 2017
Overall very boring story except the voting towards the end. Given it is a real story about freeing slaves and equality, this movie is of high artistic value with no doubt, yet from entertainment perspective it is not quite outstanding.
December 25, 2017

[Steven Spielberg]
½ December 18, 2017
Puntaje Original: 7.0

Una potente y memorable actuaciůn de Daniel Day-Lewis. AdemŠs Lincoln nos ofrece un brillante historia y una gran puesta en escena.