Lincoln - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lincoln Reviews

½ December 10, 2017
I found myself in constant disbelief of every character. this whole movie felt like it was playing pretend.
½ November 25, 2017
Lincoln is a spectacular true story film about the later life of Abraham Lincoln. Amazing direction by Steven Spielberg and a truly outstanding performance by Daniel Day Lewis help recreate the time period and show what Lincoln went through during the treacherous Civil War. This compelling movie tells an amazing story that really shows us history well and how valuable life is.
November 10, 2017
This movie reminds me of how much I liked Abraham Lincoln as a child. Spielberg did a great job showing how this fearless leader led our country against slavery and racism.
October 30, 2017
one of rare movies I can say are both historically accurate and fun to watch
October 22, 2017
Extraordinary movie which portraits our struggle as a Nation.
½ October 9, 2017
Lincoln educates and entertains in equal measure. Spielberg once again proves himself the master of his craft by producing a lengthy, sometimes sedate but captivating lesson in American history without ever being overly didactic or patronising. Whether the characterisations are factually accurate I can't say. However Day Lewis is impeccable as Lincoln, mesmerising with dignity, drive and a surprising amount of wit. Jones also unexpectedly stands out as embattled Thaddeus Stevens, stealing the show with his highly amusing politicking. Field was a little keen on chewing the scenery for my liking and I'd hoped for more development of Mr and Mrs Lincoln's strained relationship. However Spielberg has produced another enlightening and engrossing period picture to add to his already impressive collection.
September 11, 2017
The greatest acting performance of all time from Daniel Day Lewis. Period.
August 18, 2017
It's okay - I'm rating it 6.4 which is fairly high for me - but I'm definitely not seeing a Best Picture contender here. There was some interesting subtlety in the early political machinations. But then later when things got down to the nitty gritty, I found that those machinations became quite Speilbergy in the negative sense of the word with things feeling more staged than organic There were some wonderful and powerful moments. Daniel Day-Lewis to me is impeccable and a magnificent portrait is painted. Tommy Lee Jones I was less blown away by. If I had to pick a supporting actor to nominate out of this, it would not be him - but the Academy does go for the bluster sometimes. (Shades of Rene Zellweger's Oscar for Cold Mountain.) So yeah. 6.4 is a respectable rating but far from the critical hype.
August 15, 2017
Day-Lewis never misses a beat, but I yearned for more about the legacy of Abraham Lincoln. It's not really a biopic - because the film's focus and rambling on the 13th Amendment is completely overblown.
August 13, 2017
One of the best performances by an actor in a long time. Thoroughly deserved Best Actor to Lewis, he brought such a historical figure to life. Such an interesting story and really made me learn more about the Civil War and Lincoln's time as President.
½ July 20, 2017
Lincoln is masterfully crafted with a great performance by Daniel Day Lewis. But their comes a point where I want my movie to be somewhat entertaining. Lincoln is 2 hours and 30 mins and is extremely dialogue heavy. It can get very boring and tedious. There had to be some way to shorten this movie. I get the high ratings because it is fantastically directed with great performances and shows you how frustrating Washington can be. But as I mentioned before the film has to be entertaining to me and I often felt myself checking how much time was left on the film.
July 3, 2017
DDL is the best Lincoln!!
June 25, 2017
Lincoln has always been my most favored President and so my excitement came when I was able to see this movie in theatres. I can tell you that hands down this is the best movie I've ever watched! It truly captivates what we know to be true about Lincoln and even things some of us have forgotten. There's nothing boring about this movie, it keeps you interested from beginning to end and is definitely a must watch!
June 24, 2017
watched on HBO just now, a truly compelling, emotional masterpiece that conveys the narrative so elegantly that you could swear it was made by a close personal friend of Lincoln himself.
May 21, 2017
Daniel Day Lewis gives an absolutely moving and stunning performance as Abraham Lincoln - a powerful performance that stays with you. As far as the movie, Spielberg could have easily gone with a lot of action sequences of the war that was raging on at the time, but smartly chose to present and focus on Lincoln the man who struggled with the fierce decisions posed to him and the man who brought a certain humanity to the presidency. This was a piece of history that was not only necessary to see but amazing to watch.
½ May 19, 2017
It's a talkfest for its length but Lincoln is undeniably beautifully done with meticulous attention to detail. It is anchored by the performance of Daniel Day Lewis who succeeds in humanising the ill-fated Civil War president, practically lifting him out of the history books and onto the screen with an equal measure of humour, warmth, authority and melancholy. A performance that is one for the ages
May 17, 2017
The thought of Spielberg making a movie about Lincoln sounds absolutely dreadful, so the fact that it isn't is a refreshing surprise. The first 20 minutes or so is pretty awful, and is what I expected the entire film to be like. Rather than a hagiography, it turns out to be a rather fascinating bit of political process drama, peppered with moments of Lewis being folksy and turning what should be annoying into a rather engaging character. I can't for the life of me see why Lewis wanted to do this film, but I'm largely glad he did.
April 30, 2017
Spielberg master piece & some superb acting