Lincoln - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lincoln Reviews

April 30, 2018
One of the most powerful historical films I've ever watched -- Daniel Day-Lewis's portrayal of Lincoln is brilliant and a wonder to behold.
½ April 22, 2018
The importance of the film as well as its informative nature are the two main reasons I give this film high marks. Daniel Day Lewis, of course, did a great job. Even my 12-yr-old said, "Daddy, that actor looks and sounds just like Abraham Lincoln" or what he's garnered from pictures and film in school. Of course at times some scenes, like the opening, get overly dramatic and sentimental, creating sacred monuments out of a fallible man. This happens again as Lincoln appears out of the blue in the war room to tell one of his humorous and "comforting" stories during a trying moment. Other than that, it was a near perfect film.

My only question is whether or not this film actually got through to that many people, considering the complexity of law, the Constitution, separation of state and federal powers, war powers, and so forth. In order to fully benefit from the film, you'd probably have to do some homework yourself before seeing it, taking a look at the Confiscation Acts, the impermanence of the Emancipation Proclamation executive order, the vagueness of war measure powers and what exactly Lincoln could and could not get away with. Also one might want to look into the fact that Lincoln was not loved by all the people, contrary to Mary Todd's projected opinion. Many found him ignorant, stupid even, unholy, a dictator, and said things about him that would even make Donald Trump blush. Of course so many years later we use 20/20 hindsight, but little was for sure, as was NOT even the chance that the 13th Amendment would pass, as it was so boldly denied 10 months previous.

So just how much "opinion" can be trusted of those reviewing the film, not sure, but being a critical thinking professor, I know how inaccurate and incomplete many think by nature. Regardless, I'd have to say that many of the facts in the film were historically accurate and up to snuff, outside of the glorification of Lincoln. A solid effort by Spielberg and crew, indeed.
½ April 14, 2018
the world's greatest director directs the world's greatest living actor as america's greatest leader. reenacts the last four months of abe's life, as he tries to convince the house of representatives to adopt the 13th amendment. intensely intelligent and a human lincoln. not the perfect lincoln film but overall a gripping feat. superb acting.
April 4, 2018
Terrible soundtrack. Average film with outstanding Daniel Day-Lewis performance.
March 12, 2018
"And now he belongs with the ages." Those were the last few words said after the assassination of Abraham Lincoln. This movie got me going. I loved every single minute of it. Daniel Day-Lewis nailed it as the President of the United States. The storyline, which began during the final weeks of the Civil War, was Very emotional. I just felt like I was going to cry during the entire movie because there were so many moments that made me feel happy, sad, and emotional. To tell the truth, I want to watch this movie again. It is so powerful.
½ March 8, 2018
Mildly slow, though it makes up for it in dialogic wit as would be assumed of a film featuring loquacious politicians. Certain directorial choices are a bit iffy to me, such as the off-screen death of Lincoln, though enjoyable and entirely feasible as a film for educational purposes.
½ March 8, 2018
The first time I watched this I always got bored, but now that I am older, rewatching it I find it very interesting and enjoyable. It is a movie that you can watch multiple times and learn new things. Everybody gives a great performances, especially Daniel Day-Lewis. Now I don't get bored with the movie and i find it to be quite powerful at time. Overall Lincoln id a great film.

9.0/10
March 4, 2018
Abraham Lincoln needed to be redeemed in the cinema after the atrocious Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter was released earlier this year. The satire from the novel was scrapped in the film version, making it a genuine horror movie with the 16th US president as the star. Luckily Lincoln was released, presenting an amazing and insightful look at the last few months of his life and presidency ending the Civil War and freeing the slaves.

Lincoln is based on Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Kearns Goodwin, a biography of his life. The movie, however only focuses, on his efforts to push the signing of the Thirteenth Amendment up to his death. The film also focuses on his skills with people and his knack for telling jokes and stories to get his views and points across.

Daniel Day-Lewis plays Lincoln masterfully, completely immersing the audience with his accent and subtle physical mannerisms. No one knows for sure what Lincoln sounded like or how he acted, but Daniel Day-Lewis shows us that we can try to understand. His performance brings to mind his previous role as a historical figure in America as the fictional oil tycoon Daniel Plainview in 2007‚≤s There Will Be Blood. One can‚(TM)t help but notice the odd similarities between the two movies. Both are biographical dramas almost three hours in length, and cover a significant period in American history. The two characters are drastically different however, as Daniel Plainview becomes a twisted murderer by the end of There Will Be Blood, while Abraham Lincoln continues to be hailed a hero and a political genius.

The rest of the cast serves to challenge Lincoln and his decisions politically and personally. Sally Field (Mrs. Gump in Forrest Gump, Norma Rae in Norma Rae) plays Mary Todd Lincoln, desperately battling Lincoln for allowing their conflicted son Robert, played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt, to fight in the war. The movie serves to illuminate all Lincoln had to deal with while fearlessly pushing the amendment forward, never wavering in his unflinching belief that the war should end and that everyone is equal. The serious subject matter, however, doesn‚(TM)t get in the way of the humor, mainly supplied by the snarky Thaddeus Stevens (Tommy Lee Jones) and the sleazy W.N. Bilbo (James Spader).

Lincoln succeeds not only due to the amazing performances, but also from director Stephen Spielberg‚(TM)s enticing style of presenting suspense and drama. As the judge counts each vote that could end slavery in America, the audience knows the outcome, but can‚(TM)t help but feel the tension as each ballot is read. Most of the movie is spent as a buildup to that moment, which comes as a relief when the amendment is voted in. The event was over a century ago, but its impact, and the genius behind it, is masterfully brought to life on the big screen in this thrilling and poignant look at the 16th president‚(TM)s final months in office.

A+
March 3, 2018
I rarely do not finish watching a movie. I cut this one out midway. It is just awful in every way -- screenplay, cinematography, acting. Kind of a theatrical rendition of an important part of US history (a still unfinished story) that is not clearly delineated. Lincoln becomes 'St Lincoln' in the most posturing way -- and all the rest of the congressional folks blend into a mirage of dumb shouting and pouting -- along with varying accents that remind me of early black and white American films where one overwrought actor after another screams into a telephone.
March 3, 2018
Watch Spielberg's "Lincoln". No film of which I know better encapsulates what makes America such a special nation. All of our children of a certain age should - no, must watch it. It is also the most intelligent historical drama I can recall seeing. I stand in awe of how the screenwriters did not dumb down a single syllable (even resorting to the archaic pronunciation of "righteous" as "rite-tee-us" as opposed to the current "rytch-us"). Instead they purposefully - and *masterfully* - showed the complexity and torture of the film's central story arch in all of its shades and nuances and depths. It is unflinching and all the more compelling as a result. At the end, I wept, both with sadness for a potential never fulfilled and out of awe and respect for this great land we call home. I cannot recommend this treasure of cinema highly enough. We need more Spielbergs. At any rate, we need more films like this.
March 3, 2018
Terrible movie. Wooden acting in fake set pieces. Too much makeup & costumes. Too little cohesive storytelling. It was like watching a Disney animatronics production.
February 23, 2018
By God, Daniel Day-Lewis deserved that Oscar. Everyone deserved an Oscar. There wasn't a bad performance anywhere. From the top dogs down to the extra with only two lines, everyone brought their A-game. I can't praise this cast enough.
February 13, 2018
too much cursing but impressive, james spader was the best part of the movie
February 12, 2018
Great direction and phenomenal acting. A must see
½ February 12, 2018
It wasn't bad. It's a little overrated considering the most tragic moment of his life wasn't shown in the film and how the film focused a bit too much on Mary Todd's lack of affection for Tad after losing two prior children.
½ February 3, 2018
(89/100)
Steven Spielberg never dissapoints.
½ January 30, 2018
Great acting and settings. Just a tad too slow and long for my liking, so I found myself losing interest. AAN AFI 1001. D
½ January 27, 2018
Spielberg honors the source material to make a captivating film; all while heightened by Day-Lewis' stunning performance.