Lincoln - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lincoln Reviews

September 11, 2017
The greatest acting performance of all time from Daniel Day Lewis. Period.
August 18, 2017
It's okay - I'm rating it 6.4 which is fairly high for me - but I'm definitely not seeing a Best Picture contender here. There was some interesting subtlety in the early political machinations. But then later when things got down to the nitty gritty, I found that those machinations became quite Speilbergy in the negative sense of the word with things feeling more staged than organic There were some wonderful and powerful moments. Daniel Day-Lewis to me is impeccable and a magnificent portrait is painted. Tommy Lee Jones I was less blown away by. If I had to pick a supporting actor to nominate out of this, it would not be him - but the Academy does go for the bluster sometimes. (Shades of Rene Zellweger's Oscar for Cold Mountain.) So yeah. 6.4 is a respectable rating but far from the critical hype.
August 15, 2017
Day-Lewis never misses a beat, but I yearned for more about the legacy of Abraham Lincoln. It's not really a biopic - because the film's focus and rambling on the 13th Amendment is completely overblown.
August 13, 2017
One of the best performances by an actor in a long time. Thoroughly deserved Best Actor to Lewis, he brought such a historical figure to life. Such an interesting story and really made me learn more about the Civil War and Lincoln's time as President.
½ July 20, 2017
Lincoln is masterfully crafted with a great performance by Daniel Day Lewis. But their comes a point where I want my movie to be somewhat entertaining. Lincoln is 2 hours and 30 mins and is extremely dialogue heavy. It can get very boring and tedious. There had to be some way to shorten this movie. I get the high ratings because it is fantastically directed with great performances and shows you how frustrating Washington can be. But as I mentioned before the film has to be entertaining to me and I often felt myself checking how much time was left on the film.
July 3, 2017
DDL is the best Lincoln!!
June 25, 2017
Lincoln has always been my most favored President and so my excitement came when I was able to see this movie in theatres. I can tell you that hands down this is the best movie I've ever watched! It truly captivates what we know to be true about Lincoln and even things some of us have forgotten. There's nothing boring about this movie, it keeps you interested from beginning to end and is definitely a must watch!
June 24, 2017
watched on HBO just now, a truly compelling, emotional masterpiece that conveys the narrative so elegantly that you could swear it was made by a close personal friend of Lincoln himself.
May 21, 2017
Daniel Day Lewis gives an absolutely moving and stunning performance as Abraham Lincoln - a powerful performance that stays with you. As far as the movie, Spielberg could have easily gone with a lot of action sequences of the war that was raging on at the time, but smartly chose to present and focus on Lincoln the man who struggled with the fierce decisions posed to him and the man who brought a certain humanity to the presidency. This was a piece of history that was not only necessary to see but amazing to watch.
½ May 19, 2017
It's a talkfest for its length but Lincoln is undeniably beautifully done with meticulous attention to detail. It is anchored by the performance of Daniel Day Lewis who succeeds in humanising the ill-fated Civil War president, practically lifting him out of the history books and onto the screen with an equal measure of humour, warmth, authority and melancholy. A performance that is one for the ages
May 17, 2017
The thought of Spielberg making a movie about Lincoln sounds absolutely dreadful, so the fact that it isn't is a refreshing surprise. The first 20 minutes or so is pretty awful, and is what I expected the entire film to be like. Rather than a hagiography, it turns out to be a rather fascinating bit of political process drama, peppered with moments of Lewis being folksy and turning what should be annoying into a rather engaging character. I can't for the life of me see why Lewis wanted to do this film, but I'm largely glad he did.
April 30, 2017
Spielberg master piece & some superb acting
April 28, 2017
A film so incredible that in the end I had no reaction on what to say; Simply incredible; Incredible Daniel Day-Lewis as always; And I must also mention the performance of Tommy Lee Jones, without words for it; Extremely expecional photography; What a movie, really very good.
½ April 23, 2017
An amazing performance, but perhaps the film around not quite on the same level. DDL is fantastic in this. How does he inhabit a role in such a fashion? In his opening scene you just feel that's Lincoln.

The film around it is sombre, sincere, but perhaps too reverential. It's also one of the talkiest movies ever made built around backroom intrigue and political skulduggery. You're crying out for some light relief or action.

That said i'm a political junkie so I was willing to make the journey. The ending is truly moving and the final scene almost looks like a classic painting. A fantastically made movie but don't expect any thrills.
½ April 21, 2017
½ April 18, 2017
Amazed at the critical acclaim this film has garnered, I found it routinely dull and only periodically of any interest. Whenever Lincoln is asked a question, he stops, turns around like an Ocean Liner and then proceeds to embark on a long boring story about whatever to make his point, it becomes pastiche at times. The film could easily lose an hour and a half and be all the more interesting for it. Also found so much of the film soapy and completely unbelievable, the teenage angsty son and the the wise-cracking cocky wife all seem lifted directly from the 21st Century not the 19th.
April 7, 2017
I feel mean giving such a well made movie just 3 stars, yet as much as I appreciated it on an artistic and informative level, it didn't intrigue or grip me consistently enough to keep me from falling asleep.

There are some great moments and excellent acting but it's overall dullness means that I can't see any reason why I would really want to sit through it again
½ April 1, 2017
A film that shows that the abolition of slavery was not easy even in the north of the United States, but, was it necessary to make a film on this subject without ever mentioning the suffering of slaves, separated families, Humans renowned by their masters, marked with iron like cattles, the misery of the chains and the blows? Slavery did not only happen in the Senate but also in the slave ships and the cotton plantations. Not a bad movie, but a film from whites for the whites.
March 22, 2017
This movie tries to be a movie that both informs and entertains, but I wasn't entertained because it was so bland and I wasn't informed because I didn't care enough.
March 17, 2017
A stunning achievement combining the action and horror of the civil war, the internal conflicts within the white house on how to deal with that conflict, and the heartfelt, passionate leader trying to navigate leading his torn country through that war while tending to his wife and young boys, attempting to shield them from the unprecedented battles that raged just beyond their doorstep.
A huge epic war surrounds the tiny first family, and the parents must deal with each other, their boys, and the changing world around them - and its all successfully portrayed here by Spielberg.
The scene that struck me most was actually a very small one.
Lincoln and his wife have a disagreement amidst all the chaos around them - a brilliant scene, and I kept asking myself and amusing myself with this thot-
How would you write a scene where President Lincoln and his wife Mary have a huge disagreement - make it believable, and make it pertinent to the story of the civil war, and make the audience understand both sides of the argument. Go.
It still makes me smile. I admire that they accomplished this feat, and of course SO so much more.
Engaging, respectful of the facts, clarity of story, organically built tension that creates the authenticity.
I can't say enough about the greatness of this film.
I had absolutely no feeling for the movie War Horse bc tho I like horses, I cannot relate to them - I thot Spielberg was on the decline after that feature, but no.
This film shows the humanity, dignity, and chivalry in an understandable way, and you root for the good guys, and after the film, you feel as if u have been thru an experience.

5 high salutes out of 5