Linsanity - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Linsanity Reviews

½ May 29, 2016
Although imperfect, "Linsanity" is a fitting documentary putting to light Jeremy Lin's difficult journey to the NBA, even if it feels repetitive at times.

Jeremy Lin made history by becoming the first Asian-American in the NBA. Throughout his unbelievable journey, the hardships he went through and the lessons he learned will come to light as his life story is put into one documentary.

Now, although I recognize that documentaries are well loved, I myself have never been a huge documentary fan. However, I am an NBA fanatic, and Jeremy Lin has inspired me in countless ways. As a result, I was excited to view this film when I saw it on Netflix.

It's difficult and new for me to write a review about a documentary, so here's how I felt about the film as a whole.

The thing I liked most about this film was the star at the helm, Jeremy Lin. What this guy has done not only for basketball, but for Asians as a whole is unbelievable. Although racism and discrimination still exist, Asians in the United States are still heavily discriminated in their own right. Me being an Asian myself, there's still a lot of barriers that we have to face. Jeremy Lin has the tough job of being in the spotlight, but his personality and his virtues make this documentary more interesting. It's interesting to learn about him as a person and how he views life at this very moment, and I believe that many people should get to know his character better.

The thing I didn't like was that the documentary felt kind of bland at times, and it relied to heavily on interviews and irrelevant home videos. Although interviews are a vital part of documentaries, I always had a problem with excessive interviews. Half the people they interview are from his childhood, and most shouldn't even remember a thing about him. Hearing from his "elementary rec league coach" not only feels fake, but unnecessary. They relied too much on the irrelevant home video clips rather than to tell the story through more interesting, real time action, which made the documentary feel bland at times.

I do like that I got the sense that this film was less about how good Lin was, but rather how this is all one big life lesson. There's so much that you can take away from a story like this and this event really is inspirational to many.

It also felt like the documentary spent so much time on irrelevant events in general, and it never felt like its ending justified the build up. It felt like they never knew where they shift their focus to, leading to pacing issues and scattered attention spans.

In the end, I enjoyed this documentary for what it was, despite some noticeable flaws.
½ March 21, 2016
"Linsanity" chronicles the unlikely rise of Asian-American basketball star Jeremy Lin. In addition to tracing his love of basketball, the documentary examines the inspiration that Lin finds through his Christian faith. The film begins with a few moments from the Knicks vs. Nets game that determined whether Jeremy would make it in the NBA. This game is later highlighted in its entirety and becomes the climax of the film once we understand how he got to that point. Lin's story begins with his immigrant parents who raised him with the priorities of God, then academics, then sports. He was obviously an intellectual teenager because he was recruited by (and survived) Harvard University. This documentary also touches on possible racism in basketball with an argument that Lin would have been picked up by an elite college basketball program and drafted into the NBA if he was not Asian. Even after earning a spot on the Houston Rockets' practice squad and being signed by the Golden State Warriors, his path to basketball fame was a rough one full of ups and downs. And a pretty awesome indirect exchange with Kobe Bryant. "Linsanity" will inevitably make you into a fan of Jeremy Lin. He has lost some of his popularity since this documentary was made but his strong morals and impressive basketball skills make him a great role model.
½ February 20, 2016
Nice work making the story relatable and not getting too far into hero schmaltziness. I almost completely missed this moment in history so it was interesting to re-watch.
January 20, 2016
I'm not a fan of sport documentaries, in fact, Linsanity is actually my first sport documentary. I watched it because my sister wanted me to, so I told her that I'll watch part of it, and if it gets interesting, then I would watch the whole movie, which I finished the whole movie as it is a very interesting documentary that I underestimate these types of films. In the beginning where it talks about his past is interesting and it makes sense of where Jeremy Lin got his skills from. However, I didn't find it that much investing which I wouldn't know how they can make the beginning more interesting. When it goes to when he's in the basketball games or when he rises from stardom, that's when it starts getting interesting. It really shows the struggles that he has to go through to get even in the NBA and it makes you feel bad for him also when the pressures get to him a lot. The games that he plays in are really exciting and I can see why people cheer a lot as I don't watch basketball at all. Linsanity is a great documentary that I'm glad that my sister wanted me to watch this.
January 23, 2015
From Palo Alto, a Christian, and an underdog. Awesome story.
January 13, 2015
Really makes you a bigger fan of the guy.
½ October 21, 2014
Lacking only in production value.
October 12, 2014
A ho-hum documentary about a charismatic basketball player Jeremy Lin who went from a nobody to the biggest thing in basketball in less than a week. Linsanity documents Lins early days in the NBA to his rise as star over the course of a few games. While the story is fascinating the way it is out together leaves a lot to be desired.
September 7, 2014
I did not like basketball as much before watching this. Now I love and am so obsessed of basketball. This movie is very inspirational.
½ August 28, 2014
Was ok . Starts slow but builds .. Good story ...
August 18, 2014
Huge respect to Jeremy Lin. That karaoke session is ah-mah-zzinggg! And that Simba blanket is close to my heart too! :)
July 14, 2014
A must see for all but especially for NBA fans. It's an inside and rare look at Lin's struggles and passion along with the ugly side of politics and inequality in the industry. There isn't any fancy camerawork but a relevant and honest peek at a journey and perseverance of one "ultimate underdog".

At times where the "plot" takes a negative turn, something hopeful happens. It goes to show faith sometimes can dictate one's journey. Also, when you have nothing and everything to lose, it's when you have the most to prove and accomplish.

Lin is the modern day Rudy and Linsanity is inspiring and an eye-opener!
June 12, 2014
Positive inspiration.
½ April 21, 2014
Highly linteresting.
½ April 7, 2014
Great look into J-Lin's life before Linsanity. Lots of hard work before the magic happened, and the timing for a miracle couldn't have been cut any closer.
½ April 6, 2014
A must watch for Jeremy Lin fans!
March 24, 2014
Real-life Rocky, Rudy, 42, The Express. Only California state HS player of the year, EVER, to receive zero D1 scholarship offers. Was top5 for Cali Mr. Basketball. Takes Harvard to its best season in 70 years. Faces viscous racist taunts regularly. Goes undrafted. Cut by 2 NBA teams who didn't really give him a chance. Sleeping on couches. About to be cut by NY but in his one opportunity saves the Knicks who were 8-15 at the time. Inspiring real-life underdog story of overcoming multiple levels of prejudice and "not looking the part". Even before this movie was in theaters, Lin haters were giving this movie low ratings without even seeing it. People hate on Lin because they think he's a marketing gimmick, not rags to riches, they think he's ONLY popular bc he's Asian. Flat out wrong. Most of his American fans are of all demographics. His story is universal, underdog story, overcoming lots of obstacles and discrimination, and so humble, classy, generous about it all. It's as insulting as saying Jackie Robinson, Eminem, Obama are popular only because they are [black or white]. Racial haters like this give zero credit to talent or ability.

If Jeremy Lin were white (or black) with a different non-Asian last name, he would have gotten multiple D1 college scholarships, been drafted top 10 in the draft, and already be well known before the NBA so when he took off it wouldn't be a surprise to people. This is based on his actual production, accomplishments, and skills. But him being Asian, kind of like being a white running back or a black scientist, automatically held him back at EVERY LEVEL.
March 20, 2014
pretty average in terms of docs
½ March 17, 2014
Enjoyable and inspirational documentary. I thought initially that this documentary was made due to the knee-jerk reaction of the Linsanity craze, but it was four years in the making--long before Jeremy Lin hit it big suddenly with the Knicks.
March 13, 2014
The film doesn't reveal anything that wasn't in the media which is a big missed opportunity. But it is thoughtful and enjoyable at times. a little scattered minded. I feel as this story would have been better told by a better author.