Lion - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lion Reviews

November 14, 2017
My favorite movie of the year! I watched it 3 times and cried each time.
½ November 12, 2017
Interesting story but got boring towards the middle
½ November 4, 2017
The beginning is amazing
November 2, 2017
Despite being overly sentimental and wastefully romanticised at times, Lion is absorbing and moving to the core. Follow him home.
October 27, 2017
"Lion" is an incredibly moving, emotional story that lacks brevity and dynamism.
October 23, 2017
One of the best movies I've ever seen!
October 20, 2017
fantastic. very similar to the orphan keeper novel. I loved this story. total tear jerker.
October 18, 2017
***A MAN'S QUEST TO FIND HIS ROOTS WITHOUT ANCESTRY.COM OR 23ANDME***
October 17, 2017
The film makers took their time to craft their story. Perhaps a little bit too much time. I'm not going to say I was bored to tears, but my attention did start to wander. The child actor, Sunny Pawar, was very good. He made me care and fret over "Saroo". I found myself missing him once Dev Patel took over. Suddenly Saroo turned into a butt munch. I guess I was supposed to be feeling his conflicted emotions over who he truly was. Instead all I saw was a man being a dick to the people around him.
October 15, 2017
Reviewed 3.3.17. The major drawback to seeing a 'based on true events' movie is how the main reveal of the plot is readily promoted, often in the trailer itself. So you enter the theatre with a general idea of what's going to happen, which can lead to a painfully trite viewing experience if the creative team takes a paint-by-numbers approach to telling the story. And in this case, with a neophyte director behind the lens too, what could be expected from Lion? Well let me tell you, strap on your emotional seatbelt, this Lion has a roar all its own. Shot with passion, grandeur and beauty to spare, Lion captivates from its first frame to the last. Overcoming every genre faux pas as it sweeps you up in a whirlwind of humanity, affirming what lies deepest in us all. The desire to be loved, to be remembered.......and to never let go. Nicole Kidman returns to top form. Kudos to Dev Patel and Rooney Mara for continuing their scene stealing ways, and to Sunny Pawar for the most heartening of debuts.
½ October 13, 2017
This is a biographical film based on how a five-year-old kid lost from his family and finds them back after 25 years. He does it by remembering and retracing his steps using Google Earth!!!
Most of the first half is slow, depressing and insightful of how poverty ridden India is. I only started enjoying the movie ones we move to Australia as the really interesting parts started happening. The climax is the highlight, it squeezes out the emotions of the audience, manipulating and successful execution of film direction. The casting is great with all the leads giving superb performances.
October 12, 2017
Im a sobbing mess. Beautiful story.
October 10, 2017
"Lion" is an incredibe story, one that I honestly could not believe was real while watching it, and the movie does this amazing story some serious justice. Dev Patel (Saroo) was definitely my favourite in this movie, this is one of the best acting performances I've seen in 2016 movies, and there are good ones to choose from. The heartbreak and struggle that you see in him while trying to find his family is really well-done, and really captures what it would've actually been like for the real Saroo. The scenery is also really good in this movie, it really gets you immersed into the world that Saroo lived in, and the harsh atmosphere of living on the streets in a busy and populated place like India. This movie has a bit of everything: heart, drama, desperation, romance, comedy, you name it, and I enjoyed every bit of it. I would've liked to have seen a bit more of young saroo, and his struggle to live on the streets, although that was shown quite a bit in the movie. In the end, "Lion" is an incredible story with great acting, and really tells the real life story in a way that shows how miraculous the whole situation really was. "Lion" is definitely worth watching.
October 10, 2017
exceptional! impossible not to love it. tissues required!
½ October 9, 2017
I felt all the feels with this one. I love true stories. Recommend to anyone
October 8, 2017
Wonderful true story. I especially liked the part at the end when they show the real people and what they are doing today.
October 1, 2017
Lion, is based on the real story of Saroo who, as a little boy in rural India, got lost on a train and hurtled thousands of miles away to Calcutta. After being adopted by an Australian couple, years later as an adult, Saroo goes on a frantic search to find his home and be re-united with his family. First of all, Sunny Pawar, who plays young Saroo, is absolutely excellent in this film and carries a good 2/3 almost on his own, homeless on the streets, desperately trying to get by and get back to his family. Then Dev Patell puts in a great performance as the adult Saroo who becomes fixated on finding his family, searching the railway lines without even knowing the name of his village. It is an extremely emotional story, seeing how callous most of the adults are towards the homeless children, the pain of separation for Saroo and the love and acceptance of his adoptive parents. The film does start to lose steam in the last third of the film however with Saroo as an adult, with an somewhat uninteresting love story and the addition of his seemingly unstable adoptive brother. Overall though it is a very touching film, that focusses on the emotional trauma of a lost child and even goes so far as highlighting that over 80,000 children go missing in India every year and collaborating with organisations to support these children.
September 30, 2017
Emotional and engaging.
½ September 28, 2017
I'm not a fan of the way Hollywood decides what culture is the flavour of the decade, but once again Dev Patel delivers a star turn performance, albeit of a much different type. Detailed, gritty and well acted throughout. My only quibble is the truncated brother storyline and the tacked on ending.
½ September 25, 2017
Another year, another American film about India (seems to be the current vogue). Mostly fine for what it is, but not as engaging as other similar films have been, and a bit overly drawn out at times.