Lion - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lion Reviews

½ July 19, 2017
An emotionally gripping movie about family, roots, compassion and love. Without drifting into cliches. A must-see and probably one of my movies of 2017 so far!!
July 18, 2017
Brilliant story, direction and emotion. Never a dull moment.
July 18, 2017
Wow, there are all sorts of movies made about all sorts of meaningless things that are seen by so many... then there are true stories such as this that truly need to be seen by more people. Just a beautiful story.
July 17, 2017
Such a good movie. Doesn't hurt that Dev Patel is a hottie either
July 17, 2017
Great movie and great acting!!!
½ July 16, 2017
A very well-done, absorbing film. However, it could have used more dialog and plot exposition. For example, so much of the film centered on the protagonist's fixation on Home that it was unclear if he had a job. There were also inter-character conflicts whose origins were only hinted at, making it a bit dis-orienting for the viewer.
½ July 16, 2017
Heartfelt story that touches the soul.
July 16, 2017
Incredible true story, beautifully scripted, and achingly touching. The cinematography is so potent, it feels like place/setting could also be counted as a full character. Well cast and acted. Recommended.
July 16, 2017
One of the best films I've watched in quite a long time.
July 16, 2017
Is someone cutting onions around here?
July 15, 2017
Amazing performances by Sunny Pawar and Dev Patel!!!! As well as Nicole Kidman, Saroo's mother and brother. We were so touched...Oh, my! Truly speechless and many tears...
July 15, 2017
A story told beautifully. Much element of courage, love, and family.
July 14, 2017
Exceptional, moving movie!! About love and family, blood or no blood.
July 14, 2017
Great story - average film making...
½ July 13, 2017
Not great, but Lion is definitely a moving story with a pretty good cast.
July 11, 2017
Fantastic movie. Wasn't so sure about it when the first half was entirely in Hindu and there were no subtitles but you can make out just fine. An incredible true story (apparently) that really gives the world an insight on the disaster going on India. So many lost and abandoned kids it's sickening. The actors in this were fantastic from the little boy to the older version of him and all others involved. I love movies where you can feel the intensity of a scene. The reunion with his mom was one of the most breathtaking scenes I've ever seen. Well done.
July 11, 2017
i still haven't stopped crying
July 11, 2017
There are definitely sections that you will like more than others. The backing of a true story, that is payed off with real clips of the people that inspired the film always adds at least a .5 star for me.
½ July 11, 2017
This is the kind of movie that Oscar loves - an epic with a powerful emotional story at its core. It's the story of a man who is torn between his present and his past and his struggle to find the path between. Dev Patel shines in this role, you can see how he becomes more and more haunted by his memories as the movie progresses and his obsession with finding his biological family deepens. It is profoundly emotionally affecting, but has none of the contrived sugary sweetness that often goes hand-in-hand with that. The emotion of the film is natural and builds as it progresses, and before I knew it, I was surprised to find myself completely and totally invested in this family. "Lion" is the biggest surprise for me this year, as I did not expect to love it as much as I did. Though it is certainly deserving of a nomination, this film falls into the "it was an honor to have been nominated" category.
July 10, 2017
Similarly structured with a realistic constant pace and required level of performances to show and express true emotions for accuracy, "Lion" is a family picture with a crafty determination and a hidden meaning, overall resulting this different kind of story being meaningfully narrated. (B+)

(Full review TBD)