Lion - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lion Reviews

May 23, 2017
Beautiful story, acting and shots
May 22, 2017
An Epic Journey with the perfect soundtracks
May 21, 2017
Esta peli te parte el alma waaoo!!
Movie night with Iris.

The first 30 minutes of childhood India are gripping and emotional beyond belief. The adult Australia connects well and doesn't let up. If you can ignore the annoying piano score, this is impassioned, moving stuff. There were tears in Ware.
May 21, 2017
Nice camera work, some beautiful environments, and really good at making you feel like a kid lost in India. Sunny did a great job as a child actor. The first half is where this film excels, as the pacing falls off in the second. Dev Patel had good charisma, but the writing in his scenes wasn't the best and the conflict with his love interest seemed quite forced. The original score was quite beautiful, but should have been used a bit more sparingly. This was close to being an amazing movie - but is still worth watching.
May 20, 2017
great story made me cry. was excellent
May 20, 2017
Riviting and soulful tale about memories that haunt and consume, and love that spans distance, cultures, and races. Wonderful acting by a gifted cast leaves you feeling their heart beating in your chest their breath in your lungs...
½ May 19, 2017
Excellent movie of it's kind, and it doesn't sugar-coat anything. Sunny Pawar is one of the best child actors I have ever had the privilege to watch.
May 17, 2017
Great. Moving. Will make you cry.
May 17, 2017
A very beautiful movie that is simplistic and has a story behind it. I like the ending credits of the real footage.
May 17, 2017
Beautiful movie based on an inspiring and true story. What does home mean to you? Where do you feel like you belong? Do you find your past holding you back or encouraging you forward toward great opportunities? I absolutely loved this movie.
½ May 17, 2017
Lion is a strong emotionally driven film that hits around every corner about a five-year-old boy that gets lost in India. I was surprised about how good this movie was from direction, acting, the music score, and the plot, which is based on a true story about Saroo Brierley. This is one well done biographical film about his story, in 1986 when he was five years old and living with his older brother Guddu and younger sister and mother. They steal coal from moving trains to sell at the market to afford milk. Guddu tries to work at these one stop jobs and was supposed to work overnight. Saroo (Sunny Pawar) and Guddu are close as brothers. When Guddu leaves Saroo on a train station bench cause he couldn't stay awake for this job. Saroo not knowing when his brother will return, he hid inside a train and fell asleep. When he woke, the train is moving, not knowing how far away from home the train took him. Saroo is left roaming in the other side of India, were a different language is spoken. With no idea how to get home or find his family. He is left without shelter, coming across homeless kids, and guys that would kidnap the kids for money. Saroo then gets taken in by an orphanage. Were they found a family for him to live with in Australia. John (David Wenham) and Sue (Nicole Kidman) adopted Saroo into their lifestyle. Decades later, Saroo (Dev Patel) taking programs for hotel management. He meets a lovely Lucy (Rooney Mara), who he falls in love with. The one set back that is always preventing from peace is the thought of his real mother worrying. Saroo sets out, from the help of using google earth and retracing his steps on trying to find his hometown in India.

Lion turned out to be a really well film. The direction and cinematography capturing the India settings and the culture lifestyle. Also, the music score also set the mood and tone of the movie. It is a beautiful score and the sense of wonder that it creates. It is a sad emotional story of a journey that Saroo goes through. Even in the final moments of the movie, the scene was emotionally powerful seeing these people reconnect. What I really like about the film as well is the language spoken. Saroo and his brother spoke Hindi throughout the first half of the movie. Hollywood didn't have to tamper the material by having the characters speak English.

Sunny Pawar is a charming talented kid. It is an emotional roller coaster seeing this kid go on the journey of trying to find his home. When it comes to a scene, were he has a bent spoon and going through the motions, pretending to eat soup when he is starving. And mimicking a young guy in a café shop eating soup was very hard to watch. Dev Patel is a great actor, playing an older Saroo and how his inner self is struggling with the thought that his mother is worried. Rooney Mara is a beautiful actress. David Wenham and Nicole Kidman are both great.

Lion is a really good biographical film, which at times may be difficult to watch seeing homeless kids struggle. The journey Saroo goes through is a powerful one and from the final moments in the movie. Should bring tears of joy seeing how everything is resolved. Definitely worth checking out for its story, the acting, and the movie itself is well done.
½ May 16, 2017
Riveting from the first frame to the last. This is an amazing story, translated extremely well to film, with terrific acting, direction and photography throughout. We've seen this type of story before, and it would have been easy to take the standard road in telling it, but this movie somehow makes the story feel fresh and urgent. I wasn't bored for even a single second, and the ending earns its tears - I bet there wasn't a dry eye in the house on opening night. Absolutely one of the best films of 2016.
May 15, 2017
Gripping, heartfelt and deeply moving, "Lion" is a true story that deserves to be seen. An inspiring story of one man's search for home, it is one of the most moving films of the year. Beautifully shot, powerfully acted and engrossing from start to finish, it manages to do justice to a true story. Although it isn't easy to bring to life a true story of an inspiring individual, the film succeeds. It is due in large part to the powerful performances. Sunny Parwar and Dev Patel, the actors who play the young and older version of Saroo are terrific. Parwar is marvelous, and carries the first half of the film through his emotional expressions. Patel, on the other hand, commands the second half of the film as the older Saroo. Despite an engrossing first-half, "Lion" is slightly overlong and drags towards the end. Nevertheless, it is an inspirational film that left me in a puddle of tears by the end. Few films, if any, have the ability to do that.
May 15, 2017
Lion is directed by Garth Davis, and it stars Sunny Pawar, Dev Patel, Rooney Mara, David Wenham, and Nicole Kidman in a biographical film about a Hindi kid that got separated from his brother at a very young age, and when he got himself in a new home with an Australia family, he never stopped thinking about it and wants to find his way back home to find his mother and brother. This is the first movie out of all the Best Picture Nominations for 2016 where I got no knowledge from critics that I like watching, except for Brad Jones, but I didn't realize about it the day after I finished the film, and I haven't watch it, which I'll do this review first. So for this movie, let's get on it. I was starting to realize why Dev Patel was nominated for Best Supporting Actor as half the film is about Saroo Brierley in his young age, and the movie starts to get interesting when he gets alone as it felt realistic, and you feel sorry for the kid already that you wonder about how he's going to go through this. Sunny Pawar is great in it that I'm surprised this film is his debut as a child actor, and he gives off tons of emotional moments that will give a feel from the viewers. The writing by Luke Davies is well-written that connects the two stories very well, and understands about how Google Earth works. The second half is just as good as the first act as Dev Patel gives a great performance as he was trying to be happy here, but still can't shake the fact about his past after meeting some Indian people, and Nicole Kidman is also pretty good that she even has her great acting moment that's close to the end. The score by Hauschka and Dustin O'Halloran is very good that it sounded soothing and relaxing for the film. Critics say that the film is cliched, and I agree with them, but the way that the movie executed with a great story and has heart in it, felt like it's telling them for the first time. Lion is a fantastic film that I was glad it got recognized that got me to see it.
½ May 15, 2017
The front end is great. The back end is not.
May 14, 2017
Exceptional. The cinematography. The acting. The editing. The story. Although very painful to watch.
May 13, 2017
a lovely story of being lost and finding home. perfect for mothers day.
May 13, 2017
Lion was somewhat slow to start, and for a while I had felt that the story's advertised plot was deceiving, though once you make it halfway through the film, the incredible journey and true story of Saroo Brierly unfolds. Great cast and superb acting! Incredible story.
May 13, 2017
Excellent movie! Real life story of perseverence and enduring love. Should have won an Academy Award! Based on the Autobiography "A Long Way Home" by Saroo.