Lion - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lion Reviews

May 23, 2018
What makes Lion a must watch is the uplifting story and great performances especially from young Sunny Pawar. This journey isn't cliched and Garth Davies(in his directorial debut) makes sure he hits all the right notes and doesn't pander to sentimentality which can happen in movies of this kind.(Go watch Lion for its sheer uplifting story)
½ May 23, 2018
Lion is a 2016 biographical drama film directed by Garth Davis.
This drama, based on a true story, certainly does have an emotional ending. After a slowish start, the pace did pick up in the middle section. But I found the narrative a little dis-jointed towards the end. I knew the entire story prior to seeing this film, so the element of surprise was removed for me. There some several scenes which were perhaps too drawn out, and one scene which was supposed to be emotional, somehow wasn't. I think that the narrative could have even been stronger and deeper. But overall it is both an entertaining and important story. D & B
AAN GGND AACTAW
May 21, 2018
Sensational movie... a touching tale beautifully told. Mind-blowing cinematography and brilliant performance by Dec Patel. The fact it received no awards from six nominations says all you need to know about the Oscars.
May 16, 2018
Based on a true story, a moving uplifting story that is meant to bring tears of joy to your eyes. Except mine. Perhaps the film was over-hyped leading me to have high expectations. Or perhaps it suffered from a contrast effect since I'd watched an intellectually stimulating film the night before. Or perhaps it just felt like it was trying too hard (with sweeping musical cues to tell me when to feel moved). Whatever the reason, I wasn't grabbed the way others have been. That isn't because scenes of poverty and kids in distress in India don't affect me - Pather Panchali (1955) is one of my favourites. Here, Sunny Pawar is adorable as the boy (who grows up to be Dev Patel) who is accidentally lost thousands of kilometres from home and then adopted from an orphanage in Calcutta by a Tasmanian couple (played by Nicole Kidman and David Wenham). But Patel himself seems somewhat constricted, probably because the script has him ruminating about finding his real mum (a rural labourer) for a good chunk of the running time, pushing aside girlfriend Rooney Mara in the process. Finally though, Google Earth is there to save him (and indeed Google pitched in to sponsor the film) and we get the ending we'd been advertised. I'm sure this was incredibly dramatic when it happened to the real Saroo Brierley, but I found the narrative to be rather simplistic (even with the brother Mantosh subplot that doesn't really go anywhere). True, there are some beautiful Australian and Indian vistas to behold and if you aren't curmudgeonly like me, you might feel exalted by these vistas, the music, and the stirring emotional story.
May 4, 2018
A very moving true story. And some of the cinematography is amazing. Very well acted - especially by the little boy at the beginning.
½ May 3, 2018
A powerful story, very well told.
May 1, 2018
I thought it was going to be heartfelt travel across India but he instead just gets lucky on google maps. I was also not convinces by Nicole Kidman. I feel like I've been cheated.
½ April 24, 2018
This movie does an excellent job of showing how sounds, smells, muscle memory, and customs such as eating without utensils , remind adult Saroo of his birth home. How his new friends asking about his roots brought up his own questioning. Heartbreaking story to say the least. I cried when he finally found his mom. I began to be afraid the movie would end before that, but it was instead the perfect buildup and resolution that leaves the viewer heartbroken, relieved, happy, sad, and satisfied. The actor for adult Saroo is a head and a half taller and a good deal lighter than all the other people in the community in which he was raised, but otherwise great actor character match up. Funny that he went into Hotel management. Why did the boy in the (Orphanage??) and his adopted brother Mantosh go into fits of hurting/hitting themselves? It never does go into their story, though it doesn't need to, it leaves me personally, curious. As well as the children in the train station that got rounded up. Or what exactly the woman who was "helping" Saroo and the man with her that said "he was exactly what they were looking for" really wanted for him, I love the title. I was waiting to see how it tied into this lost boy's story, and it was a smile at the end to understand. Overall this is a beautiful although tear jerking story of love and humanity, and the lack at times. The flashbacks and Saroo seeing Guddu throughout his life still looking for him ever reminding him of where and what he lost were a great tie into his past and well timed. Beautiful movie. Enjoyed hearing the Hindu, and Bengali. Love the Sia song at the end. Parental guidance: Few brief post sex scene bed shots, but nothing is shown.
April 16, 2018
A little cliche and predictable, but -seeing as it's a true story- I guess you can't really knock it for that.
½ April 4, 2018
Follow Simba as he reunites with his long lost family! Wait, what?
For me, this was always an under the radar movie. The trailer, the posters and promotional materials that I barely consumed pointed me to believe this was just "one more drama". What brought this movie to my attention were its collection of four Golden Globes nominations. As an award season enthusiast, predictor and, may I say, connoisseur, i jumped at the first opportunity to go see this acclaimed movie. And actually, it kind of blew me away! The first half of it is queerly insightful as it depicts the world through the eyes of young Saroo. In this kind of movies with a very strong biopic component, I'm always afraid the filmmaker will just scrape the childhood part and jump right to the money-making star power but newcomer Garth Davis takes his sweet time in it, keeping for a whole hour his shots close to the child, gracefully detailing his wonder and his watchful, hypersensitive view of the world. And, the actor who plays young Saroo, Sunny Pawar, gives a standout performance (best one in the movie), carrying the whole half. Rooney Mara is unsurprisingly flawless and the score is splendorous which should translate to an Oscar nom. Despite all this, when we pass the half-way mark, the movie becomes standard, as it resorts to Americanized filmmaking devices which is absent from the previous almost "European indie" kind of vibe. The performances are all very solid though I don't feel that neither Dev nor Nicole should have been nominated for a Golden Globe (and I adore Nicole!), and, though it's based on real life, the way the hero resolves his conflict feels too convenient and the reveal is conventional. Ultimately, we spend too little time with grown Saroo, so in the end we don't feel the emotional journey as much as we should. Also, a fade to black should be regarded as something special, only to be used when it's strictly necessary.This film uses and abuses them, and they become annoying. A fade to black, unless necesis lazy editing and directing so they are to be avoided. Still, the movie has something deep to say about unconventional families and coming back to our rooots!
April 2, 2018
Amazing film that is beautifully wrote. Dev Patel is astounding. So heartbreaking yet inspiring
March 26, 2018
Great movie for my 500th RT reviewed: Moving and mysterious. Excellent attention to the details.
March 24, 2018
I thought all the characters were one dimensional compared to the main character. All their story lines served to enhance the main story line and thus the movie lacked depth as a result.
March 24, 2018
Moving film, tissues at the ready.
March 21, 2018
Such an amazing story loved it
March 15, 2018
Excellent! Touchant! Remarquable!
March 11, 2018
The ending of this movies hit me like a sledge hammer. I was just sitting there, thinking "yeah, this is a nice little movie." The climax of the movie was coming, everyone could see it coming, but at the moment it just WALLOPED me. I hadn't experienced that much of an emotional impact since "The Deer Hunter," but at the other end of the scale.
March 9, 2018
A great miraculous story, world class acting and an unforgettable emotional experience that will DEFINITELY leave you with tears.
½ March 5, 2018
A great story with a lot of heart. Solid acting and some beautiful filmmaking, well worth your time.
February 25, 2018
Life changing. Beautifully shot, minimalistic dialogue, great acting