The Living Daylights - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Living Daylights Reviews

September 19, 2017
While not a top tier Bond flick, The Living Daylights is certainly above average, successfully introducing Timothy Dalton's Bond to the world. Dalton isn't the best Bond, but he gives a strong performance. It may not have as much humor as previous installments, but the gadgets, action, and one-liners make up for it.
½ August 27, 2017
I didn't mind it - interesting involving the Americans and Russians as joint villains. Dalton wasn't too bad - hard to compare to Connery and Moore, but pulled it off.
August 7, 2017
Undisputedly an improvement over the few bond films before it, The Living Daylights manages to fare well just like the rest of the bond films revolving around Russian assassins and traitors. Sometimes even succeeding to find the time to slow down for the sake of drama, which is another thing that most bond films do not even try to do. Also providing a
handful of memorable villains in the form of a cold, music loving assassin and a traitor to the United States Military. In the end The Living Daylights proves to be a middling Bond adventure that sits in the perfect place on the Tomatometer.
½ August 2, 2017
This was the first James Bond movie I had ever seen. I was 9 years old and I absolutely loved it. My dad told me if you like this, check GOLDFINGER out. With that, I became James Bond fan for life and in 1994 eagerly awaited the release of GOLDENEYE. With Timothy Dalton, the Broccoli's wanted to go in an edgier direction to distant themselves from the camp that the Roger Moore films became. They had actually wanted Dalton all the way back in the 70's, when Sean Connery left the Franchise, but Dalton thought himself too young for the role. So he passed. Mid-80's rolled around and after years of playing villains, Dalton decided to take a stab at being the good guy. What followed was action adventure with a very human Bond. Initially, fans reacted negatively to TD's portrayal but over time he has been appreciated as perhaps the 2nd best in between Connery and Brosnan(Craig belongs in 2nd but we'll let him finish his run first.) Fans of the Daniel Craig's new darker Bond will feel right at home here.
July 23, 2017
The Living Daylights in 1987 is a brilliant Bond movie. Timothy Dalton as Bond is good. The bond girl is annoying. she is moans and is thick actually thick, how can bond fall in love with her? The two main villains are terrible but the henchman steals every scene he is in. Especially the end fight on the plane. Felix is OK in this movie. General pushkin is a cool character and Saunders is good. the plot is one of the best. the gunbarrel is good. the pre title sequence is the better then a view to a kills. the end battle between necros and bond is exciting and all of bonds stunts were performed by Dalton not kidding. the mi6 regulars but Moneypenny are great. overall it is the better Dalton movie.

Cast:

Miss Moneypenny: Caroline Bliss
Q: Desmond Llewelyn
M: Robert Brown
July 9, 2017
James Bond goes after a Russian arms dealer who fakes his own defection. I really liked this movie. Mostly because of his pairing with the innocent girl whom he romances. The story is really interesting. The action is good too.
June 26, 2017
Timothy Dalton is a more serious Bond which was a nice change of pace after the more comical Roger Moore. Good movie, it's biggest problem is the villain and at time it can get a little confusing.

7.5/10
½ May 31, 2017
Dalton is just what the series needed; a fresh, no-nonsense Bond. He's placed into a great, twisting plot full of nefarious men using one another in different ways, that returns the series to its more serious spy thriller origins. Befitting this Bond girl is very ordinary, it might seem to the point of being uninteresting, but by being one of the most normal characters of the series she is also one of the most human and relatable and her growth over the film is very well done. Mixed in with this more grounded approach are still the elements of the series we've come to love; impressive action and a sense of fun. These things don't always quite mesh; some of the humour seems out of place and the post-finale confrontation is particularly incongruous. However, these indulgences aside, the lesson is clearly less is more and The Living Daylights has for the most part learnt it well.
½ May 23, 2017
Timothy Dalton's debut as 007 is a quite spectacular albeit slightly flawed Bond film. It has a plot that is very complex and involves a multitude of villains (none make a huge impression and Jeroen Krabbe is just slimy and irritating).and the humour is less frequent and generally more 'adult'. Having said that, from an opening training excercise on the rock of Gibraltar where the new Bond pursues an assassin in a spectacular jeep stunt and parachutes to safety, this is a riveting, globe-trotting Bond film. The formula is more or less the same. It is only the camp humour that has been excised for a sharper, leaner film which is shaken like a Martini by Dalton's moody, man-on-a-mission thesping.
½ May 16, 2017
Dalton may not the best BOND, but this is his best outing.
April 26, 2017
This is the 15th part to the first James Bound series. This is better then any of the James Bound movie made before it. It is a great action film. The 16th James Bound movie Licence to kill is better.
April 9, 2017
The fifteenth James Bond film, and the first of two for Timothy Dalton as 007. This is also the fourth of five directed by John Glen (For Your Eyes Only/Octopussy/A View to A Kill/License To Kill).

007 is assigned to arrange the defection of Soviet General Koskov (Jeroen Krabbe), who has information on Soviet General Pushkin (John Rhys-Davies), the man behind the termination of British agents. Bond then is assigned to assassinate Pushkin, but in the process learns that Koskov is using Bond in a ploy to kill Pushkin, because he is about to arrest him for stealing Soviet government funds. Koslov is actually teaming up with an international arms dealer, Brad Whitaker (Joe Don Baker), in which they plan to use the stolen money for an arms deal that will finance the purchase of a large amount of opium, to sell at an enormous profit.

Timothy Dalton is too hard edged to make an effective 007, and Maryam d'Abo is just another in a long list of ineffective Bond girls. This is also the introduction of a new much younger and British Miss Moneypenny (Caroline Bliss). And the brief reappearance of CIA agent Felix Leiter (John Terry, his only time in the role, and the sixth actor to play Leiter, also better known as Dr. Christian Shephard, Jack's dad on the TV series "Lost"), is really a waste.

This isn't a bad movie, just not very good James Bond film.
April 7, 2017
Timothy Dalton very underrated Bond.
½ January 28, 2017
The Living Daylights only true fault is it's clumsy title, but once we get past that it's smooth sailing. Timothy Dalton gives a grounded and fresh take on 007 that feels welcome after the last few rather stale entries. Living Daylights is a well paced and action packed adventure worthy of the long standing franchise.
January 4, 2017
151229: 15th Bond Film. Great cover art, at least here on Flixster. Never been a big Bond fan and have been attempting to get my way through the series. I found this one tough to digest. Dalton is uninspiring but I won't say "as Bond". Some silly action scenes, eg. riding the cello case tied with a lackluster story. Or, perhaps it's just me? The best scenes are saved for the end so hang in there. Hoping soon I'll see a really inspiring Bond film. Funny to see in 1987 the Mujahideen being portrayed as sort of good guys vs the Russians. Ah, times change.
December 17, 2016
Dalton makes a very committed performance as Bond in a movie that is amongst the best in the series. A great plot and some very memorable action set-peices, although the villains are perhaps somewhat less memorable. An easy four stars from me.
December 8, 2016
Surprisingly good, a pioneer in the darker, grittier Bond films. Timothy Dalton does a solid job of playing the British Super-spy. Easily one of my favourites.
Also the main theme is done by Norwegian band A-ha (Take on me) which is a plus!
½ November 7, 2016
Timothy Dalton's turn as Bond provides a fresh serious tone that reminds us how silly the series had gotten.
½ September 15, 2016
best 80s bond. shame about the next one
August 29, 2016
Timothy Dalton brings life into Bond, that is quite different form the other Bonds, but entertains with action though I miss the humor from the Previous entries