The Living Daylights - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Living Daylights Reviews

June 26, 2017
Timothy Dalton is a more serious Bond which was a nice change of pace after the more comical Roger Moore. Good movie, it's biggest problem is the villain and at time it can get a little confusing.

7.5/10
June 20, 2017
James Bond goes after a Russian arms dealer who fakes his own defection. I really liked this movie. Mostly because of his pairing with the innocent girl whom he romances. The story is really interesting. The action isn't any good though, which is why its only 3 stars.
½ May 31, 2017
Dalton is just what the series needed; a fresh, no-nonsense Bond. He's placed into a great, twisting plot full of nefarious men using one another in different ways, that returns the series to its more serious spy thriller origins. Befitting this Bond girl is very ordinary, it might seem to the point of being uninteresting, but by being one of the most normal characters of the series she is also one of the most human and relatable and her growth over the film is very well done. Mixed in with this more grounded approach are still the elements of the series we've come to love; impressive action and a sense of fun. These things don't always quite mesh; some of the humour seems out of place and the post-finale confrontation is particularly incongruous. However, these indulgences aside, the lesson is clearly less is more and The Living Daylights has for the most part learnt it well.
½ May 23, 2017
Timothy Dalton's debut as 007 is a quite spectacular albeit slightly flawed Bond film. It has a plot that is very complex and involves a multitude of villains (none make a huge impression and Jeroen Krabbe is just slimy and irritating).and the humour is less frequent and generally more 'adult'. Having said that, from an opening training excercise on the rock of Gibraltar where the new Bond pursues an assassin in a spectacular jeep stunt and parachutes to safety, this is a riveting, globe-trotting Bond film. The formula is more or less the same. It is only the camp humour that has been excised for a sharper, leaner film which is shaken like a Martini by Dalton's moody, man-on-a-mission thesping.
½ May 16, 2017
Dalton may not the best BOND, but this is his best outing.
April 26, 2017
This is the 15th part to the first James Bound series. This is better then any of the James Bound movie made before it. It is a great action film. The 16th James Bound movie Licence to kill is better.
April 9, 2017
The fifteenth James Bond film, and the first of two for Timothy Dalton as 007. This is also the fourth of five directed by John Glen (For Your Eyes Only/Octopussy/A View to A Kill/License To Kill).

007 is assigned to arrange the defection of Soviet General Koskov (Jeroen Krabbe), who has information on Soviet General Pushkin (John Rhys-Davies), the man behind the termination of British agents. Bond then is assigned to assassinate Pushkin, but in the process learns that Koskov is using Bond in a ploy to kill Pushkin, because he is about to arrest him for stealing Soviet government funds. Koslov is actually teaming up with an international arms dealer, Brad Whitaker (Joe Don Baker), in which they plan to use the stolen money for an arms deal that will finance the purchase of a large amount of opium, to sell at an enormous profit.

Timothy Dalton is too hard edged to make an effective 007, and Maryam d'Abo is just another in a long list of ineffective Bond girls. This is also the introduction of a new much younger and British Miss Moneypenny (Caroline Bliss). And the brief reappearance of CIA agent Felix Leiter (John Terry, his only time in the role, and the sixth actor to play Leiter, also better known as Dr. Christian Shephard, Jack's dad on the TV series "Lost"), is really a waste.

This isn't a bad movie, just not very good James Bond film.
April 7, 2017
Timothy Dalton very underrated Bond.
½ January 28, 2017
The Living Daylights only true fault is it's clumsy title, but once we get past that it's smooth sailing. Timothy Dalton gives a grounded and fresh take on 007 that feels welcome after the last few rather stale entries. Living Daylights is a well paced and action packed adventure worthy of the long standing franchise.
January 4, 2017
151229: 15th Bond Film. Great cover art, at least here on Flixster. Never been a big Bond fan and have been attempting to get my way through the series. I found this one tough to digest. Dalton is uninspiring but I won't say "as Bond". Some silly action scenes, eg. riding the cello case tied with a lackluster story. Or, perhaps it's just me? The best scenes are saved for the end so hang in there. Hoping soon I'll see a really inspiring Bond film. Funny to see in 1987 the Mujahideen being portrayed as sort of good guys vs the Russians. Ah, times change.
December 17, 2016
Dalton makes a very committed performance as Bond in a movie that is amongst the best in the series. A great plot and some very memorable action set-peices, although the villains are perhaps somewhat less memorable. An easy four stars from me.
December 8, 2016
Surprisingly good, a pioneer in the darker, grittier Bond films. Timothy Dalton does a solid job of playing the British Super-spy. Easily one of my favourites.
Also the main theme is done by Norwegian band A-ha (Take on me) which is a plus!
½ November 7, 2016
Timothy Dalton's turn as Bond provides a fresh serious tone that reminds us how silly the series had gotten.
½ September 15, 2016
best 80s bond. shame about the next one
August 29, 2016
Timothy Dalton brings life into Bond, that is quite different form the other Bonds, but entertains with action though I miss the humor from the Previous entries
½ August 4, 2016
The Living Daylights is an above average Bond movie led by the very underrated Timothy Dalton that has all of the Bond elements we know and love even if it drags at times
August 4, 2016
Great first hour, so so second hour. 80 out of 100
jamrcla
July 29, 2016
Timothy Daltons first Bond is just what the series needed after some terrible entries from Roger Moore, Dalton takes a more serious approach to the role and it works pretty well, It has some good action scenes but they are far few between, The story is much easier to follow and the last half hour was very good, My main fault with the older Bond movies was the silly one liners and corny action, This one had hardly any humour and made the film Better, It's better than most if not all previous instalments, This was a make or break film for Bond and it passed the test.
July 28, 2016
7.5 out of 10:

Finally a good Bond film after a ton of bad ones. Sure newcomer Timothy Dalton isn't a great Bond and it feels like a previous entry, but the action is exciting and entertaining.
½ July 25, 2016
Timothy Dalton is too serious. There needs to be more humor in Bond films. This one was more boring than most of them. There were some cool scenes like when he was hanging onto a cargo net in the sky. A lot of the typical anti-Russian 80's stuff. Nothing special here.