The Lonely Guy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lonely Guy Reviews

September 6, 2010
If you're sad and lonely, watch this great comedy, you'll still be lonely but at least you wont be sad about it anymore!
garyX
½ March 16, 2007
Mildly amusing sitcom in which Steve Martin discovers that being a pathetic loser has it's upside. The script was by Neil Simon, which explains it's "Woody Allen lite" feeling. Inoffensive, but rarely hilarious.
Naughtia
May 15, 2010
The title of this movie pretty much says it all. This is a movie about a lonely guy who is searching for some love. He's tormented by his own loneliness and this movie follows him in his search for a woman to fall in love with. A classic Steve Martin movie, very good.
½ December 28, 2009
One of the weakest of Martin's 80s movies. Quite dated, but still worth a watch if you're a hardcore fan.
October 2, 2012
The Paradoxical Loneliness of the Big City

These days, it's almost easier to get a job if you've just spent time in prison than if you've been unemployed for any length of time. Even though, in this economy, it's obviously not always your fault. It's seldom your fault, in fact; there are too many people and not enough jobs, and some really good employees have gotten fired for reasons beyond their control. Everyone knows that, and yet here we all are. I think relationships can be like that, too. There's something a little worrying about someone who's been single for any length of time, even if it was the healthiest thing possible for them to have gotten out of the relationship and taken time to recover from it. You're just supposed to jump back on that horse, and that's a silly belief. It is also true that there are some people who are just bad at relationships, some people who are almost destined to be alone. This movie is about the place where they meet.

Larry Hubbard (Steve Martin) didn't start out as a Lonely Guy. In fact, he had a relationship with a beautiful ballerina named Danielle (Robyn Douglass) and a great job at a greeting card company. He came up with a new line of greeting cards, and everything was going great--until he came home to find Danielle in bed with fellow dancer Raul (Richard Delmonte). She kicked Larry out--and, while he was at it, could he take out the garbage? And from there, he sank into the abyss of the Lonely Guy. His work suffered to the point that he was fired. He kept seeing the woman, Iris (Judith Ivey), who was perfect for him, but things kept going wrong. About the only thing going right in his life was his new friendship with Warren Evans (Charles Grodin), his guide to the life of the Lonely Guy. Larry ended up writing a book about it, which you'd think would improve his life, especially given that it was a runaway bestseller. But there are some parts of being a Lonely Guy that last.

Actually, Steve Martin has played a fair number of Lonely Guys in his career, if you think about it. Yeah, they're usually Lonely Guys who end the picture by Finding True Love, but think about it. Charlie Bales? If you're playing a take on Cyrano de Bergerac, you're playing a Lonely Guy. Dr. Michael Hfuhruhurr? The plot of [i]The Man With Two Brains[/i] is the story of one man who was easy to take advantage of because he was a Lonely Guy. Harris K. Telemacher? That's only the story of how easy it is to be a Lonely Guy in LA, even if you're sleeping with Marilu Henner and Sarah Jessica Parker. I don't know what this says about him; I'm not sure the real Steve Martin is a lonely guy, but then again, I read his autobiography. I think he's spent considerable time in the Lonely Guy trenches. He understands what it's like to be there, and he understands the lengths people will go to in order to cover it up, even if he himself has never had a party with a bunch of cardboard cutouts.

And, yes, this movie and [i]LA Story[/i] are set in the biggest cities in the US, but they're still about loneliness. Just being in a city doesn't make you less lonely. It may seem easier to meet people, and certainly it's easier to find people with common interests, but there are still millions of people that you don't know and are never going to. There are millions of people all around you with their own lives and their own interests that you simply aren't a part of. I mean, think about it. If you live in an apartment, how many of your neighbours do you know? The apartment next door to ours is vacant, and even though I'd talk with our former neighbour occasionally, I still didn't know he was leaving. If you're shy, being surrounded by people is actually harder than meeting people one-on-one. It's a curious contradiction, but I think it's one that everyone who's ever lived in a big city can understand, even if a lot of people can't.

Overall, I was not hugely impressed by this movie. A lot of the gags were predictable, though there were several places where I did legitimately laugh out loud. I kind of resented the implication that loneliness is an exclusively male phenomenon, or harder for men, or something. After all, isn't Iris just a Lonely Girl? (Who desperately needed therapy, but that's a rant I don't feel the need for at this moment.) I've also got a few things going on in my life so that I don't find the running gag about people throwing themselves off bridges to be all that funny. I will say, though, that it's nice that it's friendship which saves Warren's life. Even though he doesn't believe he's ever going to hook up with the Love of His Life, and he believes that Larry will, life can still be good enough. He'll still be okay. And hey, maybe he can spend a few nice evenings with a woman, even if she isn't a perfect catch and even if they aren't together forever. I'm not saying I wanted to watch a whole movie of Warren, but he was a nice touch.
April 25, 2012
Sad-funny film about a guy down his luck with love. Charles Grodin was fun to laugh at, especially with the live-size cardboard cut-outs of people party. However, the song that plays during the ending credits is really unnecessary; the film ends on a happy note and the song just brings back into what the "lonely guy's" problems were throughout the film- contradicting.
May 2, 2009
So very funny, great universality, and good acting. I really enjoyed this movie, and would recommend it to lonely people everywhere!
February 8, 2010
There were a few good moments, but they could never make up for the painful unfunniness of most of the "comedy."
½ December 1, 2009
This is just one of those decent 80s comedies. The ones that have a couple good actors and some parts make you laugh. But overall, you do not get to really burst out laughing. The story was a little weak. But Steve Martin's witty humor made up for some lost time.
October 3, 2009
I liked the music to start with. Steve Martin was sharp even back then! And who doesn't understand feeling lonely? It does tend to drag along in a couple places, but otherwise rolls on in a fnny way. You will LOVE his police escort! To top it off the ending is adorable!
½ August 22, 2009
Although the formula isn't new and it never pushes too hard, the sight gags and dialog are really, really funny. Never as zany as The Jerk but a solid comedy.
January 6, 2009
The word that springs immediately to mind is "cornball," which may sound like a compliment for an early Steve Martin vehicle but, I promise, it isn't in this case. The premise is "The Jerk fights to find love," but with the painful attempts to bring the funny and romance cliche after romance cliche, the filmmakers only touch roughly a third of The Jerk and a sixteenth of love. Martin, in full dorkiness, relation to the audience be damned, seems to know what a clunker he's in. There are a few scenes we can sense his determination to focus on whichever dead-in-the-water bit he's doing next, but it's probably those terrific rom-com scripts with names like Roxanne and Parenthood he understandably can't take his mind off while paddling through this torture to be in the running for their leading men. The sucker picked to play the leading lady is Judith Ivey, who isn't much to look at and even more intolerable when her Iris is revealed to be a moron with a lackluster personality who thinks sneezes and orgasms are synonymous. When that playground giggle is the funniest situation of the film (that is, aside from the laughably awful soundtrack by America), how could you not know you're making a disaster? The Lonely Guy insensibly forms a lampooning lemming-like minority out of men so distraught over their lack of a significant other that they collectively claim one specific always-foggy bridge to end it all; try laughing. And who better to play the spokesperson for these fledgling Mr. Cellophanes than a bald Charles Grodin? The Lonely Guy may have slightly provided for the launch of a dignified career for Martin, but it's also a speed bump not worth looking back at. Huge miscalculation.
October 12, 2008
½ October 3, 2008
I love Steve Martin, but this one wasn't great. It was ok...seemed like it was trying to capture the magic of "The Jerk" all over again, but even with Charles Grodin's character, which is great, the movie itself is a little dull in between some relatively funny scenes.
½ September 22, 2008
Pretty funny Steve Martin movie that slows down a bit towards the end. Charles Grodin steals the show as the ultimate lonely guy. I love it when Grodin is at a party, but in the bedroom by himself watching Star Wars instead.
August 4, 2008
This movie serves as a transition between Steve Martin's "jerk" persona and his romantic, "heart on his sleeve" period. He becomes a "lonely guy" when his girlfriend dumps him for a rock band (yes, a whole band). He befriends Charles Grodin's character, and they set about surviving in the world of the lonely guy; they eat tuna fish, have plants for friends, and stave off the inevitable suicide. Martin's character eventually writes a book, a survival guide for the lonely guy, and becomes a hollywood celebrity, but all he ever wants is to is win the love of Iris, a jogger he met in the park and who's phone number he constantly loses. There's a certain amount of heart that forshadows Martin's later movies (such as "Roxanne"), but it still has a fairly dark sense of humor about it. It's a clever movie, that despite a 3rd act that drags on a little, the comedy still holds up 25 years later. A good one for Steve Martin fans.
½ May 20, 2008
It has some great scenes, but overall is not a great movie at all. Charles Grodin is great at playing a lonely guy.
November 3, 2007
Next to "Pennies From Heaven", my favorite Steve Martin flick. One of those comedies that seems to have slipped under the radar, but it's really damn funny, full of the same absurd humor of "The Jerk", "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid", and "The Man with Two Brains". Charles Grodin is absolutely hilarious as Martin's even lonelier best friend Larry. The scene where he complains about Michael Landon's hair is priceless. One of those rare movie gems that are a delight to discover.
January 27, 2016
This movie is Comedy gold.
August 20, 2015
A cute movie that runs out of steam towards the end. It seemed like the writers didn't know how to end it, so it all just kind of goes in random directions after a while. Still, Steve Martin is always funny and this may not be his best, but it's still worth a watch.