The Lonely Guy Reviews

• Oct 01, 2019

One of the best performances I've seen from Steve Martin. A charming film with good comedic moments.

• Oct 01, 2019

The Lonely Guy is another one of Steve Martin’s films that requires you to totally get on board with his sense of humor. Lucky for me, I tend to connect with his comedy quite well. The movie takes place in a heightened version of the real world, but it still touches on a number of things that people in the real world go through every day. It is built almost entirely around the idea of single men having difficulties when trying to find the right person for them. I got some good laughs from that idea, but it sometimes felt like the whole movie was a single elaborate joke stretched out for 90 minutes. But even the same joke repeated over and over again can be hilarious when it is delivered by Steve Martin and Charles Grodin. These guys are comedy gold and should have worked together more. The comedy dies down a bit when the romance plot starts. I was underwhelmed by that aspect of the story, even though I recognize it was necessary to reach a satisfying conclusion. The Lonely Guy might not be one of the great comedies, but it is a good one that I’d gladly watch again.

• Dec 30, 2017

Ok Steve Martin entry, but really meshes with other entries of his at the time. The first two acts were fairly strong with the movie losing its luster in the third act.

• Nov 16, 2017

A simple easy to watch film

A simple easy to watch film

• Jan 27, 2016

This movie is Comedy gold.

This movie is Comedy gold.

• Aug 20, 2015

A cute movie that runs out of steam towards the end. It seemed like the writers didn't know how to end it, so it all just kind of goes in random directions after a while. Still, Steve Martin is always funny and this may not be his best, but it's still worth a watch.

• Apr 13, 2015

A subdued Martin does no one any good in this bore of a comedy.

A subdued Martin does no one any good in this bore of a comedy.

• Nov 30, 2014

Not as hysterical as the Reiner-Martin collabs, this Hiller-Simon production still bears that same wackiness that made Steve a star. But beyond some wonderful absurdity, there is some legitimately amusing satire of society's perception of loneliness and people's relationships.

• Nov 15, 2014

Steve Martin shines in this lovely and delightful comedy gem... Martin & Grodin! The Ultimate Double Act--Lonely guys don't stay lonely forever... For 'Anyone Who Had a Heart;!!

• Aug 18, 2014

The Lonely Guy is a classic example of 80s and Steve Martin humour. It is delightful to watch, creating an experience of sadness perfectly mingled with happiness. Self-discovery, dealing with isolation, learning the intricate details of what makes one's own company enjoyable, are just a few of the fine plot points of this comedy. Steve Martin effortlessly creates an entertaining piece here, suited for anyone and everyone.