Lonesome Jim - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lonesome Jim Reviews

February 28, 2016
Odd but not all bad.
July 23, 2014
Poor cinematography, although I loved the dreary quality and color tones.
May 19, 2013
what this movie taught me was that like life; if a pop machine eats your dollar, and you bang on it enough, you just might get something.
January 29, 2013
Bad movie....All the way around!
cosmo313
½ January 23, 2013
This is Steve Buscemi's third outing as a feature director (and first where he doesn't direct himself). What we have is a wry, deadpan dramedy (emphasis on drama, since most of the humor is bone dry and deadpan) about Jom- a perpetually glum 27 year-old aspiring writer who, after failing to make it in New York, returns to live with his parents in their small Indiana town in order to try to get his life back together.

He's got all sorts of things to deal with. His dad is a chronic sour puss, his mom is amazingly cheerful, and his older brother Tim (a divorced father of two whose business ventures have failed) also lives with their parents, who own a lumber and ladder factory where Jim's Uncle Stacy, aka Evil, uses it as a front for drug dealing.

After his brother unsuccessfully attempt suicide, Jim finds himself forced to take his brother's place, which means working for their parents and coaching a girl's basketball team that hasn't even scored one basket in the past 14 games. Things are looking even less hopeful, but that starts to change when Jim begins a tentative romance with a kind nurse and single mother named Anika who seems determined to help get him out of his funk.

It really doesn't surprise me that Buscemi would helm a slice of life indie about a depressed sad sack. I mean, he did it once before, and that movie (Trees Lounge) is one of my all-time favorites. This second foray into that territory, but doesn't have quite the same impact as the earlier one. For one, it's not as funny, or at least not as overtly funny. Well, aside from Mark Boone Junior as Evil, that is. This one is good, but it's less optimistic, though still just as realistic.

It definitely scores points for being wonderfully low-key and very nuanced, that's for sure. I liked it, but I think that the material just isn't as strong. It does have some really good performances, however.

All in all, a decent movie, but probably Buscemi's weakest as a director (so far). Even then, it's still not too bad, so give it a watch.
January 19, 2013
Pessimistic films make me feel better.
December 19, 2012
Tired of life? Well this one won't make you any happier!
December 7, 2012
Could be worth a viewing, would like to see it sometime in the future.
July 25, 2012
Steve Buscemi ť um puta ator, mas decepcionou como diretor. Filminho metido a cult e sem conteķdo.
June 30, 2012
I really wanted to like it, but I just...ehhh. The film tries too hard, and in doing so, it creates an often unsympathetic protagonist that only makes the slow-paced storyline even slower and more irritating.
½ June 27, 2012
A simple little indie gem from the depressive but ever hopeful heads of a writer and a director who know what they are doing.
½ May 16, 2012
C'est quand meme bien mais il y a quelques longueurs.
½ February 23, 2012
Sitš perusmukavaa jenkki-indietš josta ei voi kuin digata. Loistava cast.
January 28, 2012
It was slow going and depressing.
½ January 10, 2012
Was a decent movie. A really good downer if that's your kind of thing.
½ December 25, 2011
decent...not good...not great...just decent...there were some funny parts though...
December 11, 2011
I can't really decide if I like these low-budget indy films, and this one is no exception. While there are some fantastic performances from the cast, I can't help being left with the feeling of 'what was the whole point?'. Average overall.
½ December 11, 2011
November 14, 2011
I was torn by this film, if not emotionally then in how it really resonated with me. I struggled after watching it to decided whether my ambivalence was with the film and it's frustrating protagonist, or with my own life in general. Maybe as an audience we are simply unwilling to rest so deeply in the depths of a pessimist's psyche, where acceptance of what you have is not actually a step to self-betterment (as we so often see) but yet another cruel realization. Brilliantly acted and with the darkest of comedy shadowing an already morose mood, I recommend watching.
August 20, 2011
I LOVE JIM. It's just so familiar to me to struggle things like Jim and of course I like this movie.. but it doesn't work if you don't have these issues 'cause it might be just boring... Slow, desperate atmosphere and it feels like I want to shake this character and say, it's gonna be alright! (even if I don't think it would..)